NA
Assistant Manager – IT Infrastructure at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
Stable threat protection with good support but it's expensive and has license restrictions

• "It shows us the risky sign-ins, and if a user's password has been compromised."
  • "I am not sure if I will be using this product in the future because of the price."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for threat detection.

What is most valuable?

It shows us the risky sign-ins, and if a user's password has been compromised.

What needs improvement?

While have been using this solution for two years, I am not completely knowledgable.

Due to license restrictions, we cannot use all of the features that are offered.

I am not sure if I will be using this product in the future because of the price.

I would like to see better pricing for this solution in the future.

I have been working with Microsoft Defender ATP for two years.

We are always using the latest version because it's on the cloud.

With what we have seen, it's a stable solution.

We are not using it widely because of the licensing limits.

We have three users only for Defender ATP, and if we are using the Microsoft ATA it applies to 500 users.

Technical support is good.

We did not use another solution previous to Microsoft Defender ATP.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's included with the Windows 10 Operating System.

There is no time taken for deployment as it is included with the operating system.

We completed the installation ourselves.

We have 15 administrators to deploy and maintain this solution.

Microsoft Defender ATP is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Because of my lack of knowledge or experience with the solutions full capacity, I cannot recommend this solution or offer any advice.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

CG
Director, IT at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Flexible, well-integrated with Microsoft products, and the security profile it provides is insightful

• "The most valuable features are that it is flexible, and it is integrated with Microsoft products."
  • "I would like to have additional features such as DNS lookup, which would help for detecting malicious sites."

What is our primary use case?

We have this security solution activated on 10 different Windows PCs, and we have it for Office 365 products as well.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it is flexible, and it is integrated with Microsoft products. That gives us peace of mind.

I like the security center, as well as the full picture of our security profile and insights.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have additional features such as DNS lookup, which would help for detecting malicious sites. This is a key part that I would like to have, and other products already have it implemented.

I have been using Windows Defender for approximately five months.

Windows Defender is a stable product and we plan to continue using it in the future.

This is a scalable solution. We have between 120 and 140 users right now.

We have not had any problem with the support from Microsoft.

We used a different product prior to this one, but I switched because I have a unified security overview of the corporation. The Security Center is key for being able to work everything from one console.

The initial setup was easy and the installation for the cloud-deployment took no more than an hour.

We deployed with our in-house team. We have two people, not full-time, who take care of deployment and maintenance. They are engineers.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I can recommend it to others.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EG
Information Security Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has good stability but they update the platform too frequently

• "It's pretty easy to scale."
  • "In terms of improvement, they update the platform it seems quite a bit. Every month something is in a new spot or something changed somewhere. There should be less of that."

What is our primary use case?

We use the most up-to-date version.

Our primary use case is for basic EDRs for simple interfaces.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, they update the platform it seems quite a bit. Every month something is in a new spot or something changed somewhere. There should be less of that.

I have been using Microsoft Defender for Endpoint for a couple of months.

It seems stable.

It's pretty easy to scale.

A handful of people with each in charge of different areas are involved in the maintenance of the solution. It's people in system admin.

I have dealt with tech support a couple of times. They're usually pretty responsive. The first person might not know what the deal is, but they usually are able to get us to the right person, get a resolution for us, and answer our questions pretty quickly.

We used CrowdStrike but we switched to Microsoft because of the price. It's cheaper. There were other major differences.

The initial setup was pretty complex in the way the various tools integrate. Trying to figure out permissions and getting access to certain things is complex.

Global admin uses the tool, but then you have to get additional roles for the data loss stuff.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you read the documentation and understand what else is required before you get started.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

I don't think that another tool is doing anything better, or this one doesn't. It's just about using it and seeing where to find the stuff.

CM
Chief Executive Officer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
One of the best antiviruses on the market that's straightforward to set up and quick to deploy

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for cloud security. It was used for threat detection and endpoint to endpoint. The product can be used for organizations that use Microsoft as their primary security defender and need zero-day threat protection. It's good for companies that want to make sure there are no threats or attacks on their information.

What is most valuable?

It's one of the best antiviruses on the market.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be even more secure and provide an even higher level of security.

I've been using the solution for more than two months at this point.

We have a team of up to four or five people that use the…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

It's one of the best antiviruses on the market.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for more than two months at this point.

We have a team of up to four or five people that use the solution.

I've never contacted technical support or worked with them on any issues.

The installation is very straightforward and the deployment is quick as well.

While I recall the deployment not taking too much time, I don't remember the exact amount, as it was already installed by my team here. It was likely less than ten minutes.

You only need roughly four people, at a maximum, to install the solution. You need one good manager and four or five engineers.

I can handle the installation process myself.

In order to use the solution, a base subscription is required.

What other advice do I have?

We are always using the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

JL
Managing Director at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Reliable, well-priced, and it is easy to install

What is our primary use case?

There are endpoints that are not in our organization's network but are connected directly to the web. We use Microsoft Defender for the antivirus. We are not dealing with this solution daily, just when there is an issue from time to time.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be improved.

I have been using Microsoft Defender for Endpoint for a couple of years.

It's a stable solution.

We are only running it on a few workstations. The scalability is okay. It's run on 10 out of 3,000 workstations and we plan to continue using it. We have no more than 10 users in our organization.

Which

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

The interface could be improved.

I have been using Microsoft Defender for Endpoint for a couple of years.

It's a stable solution.

We are only running it on a few workstations. The scalability is okay.

It's run on 10 out of 3,000 workstations and we plan to continue using it.

We have no more than 10 users in our organization.

We are also using Symantec.

We have a few endpoints where we use Microsoft Defender because we cannot use the Symantec Sets.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was easy to install and t only took a couple of minutes.

There is no team for maintenance. If there is an issue, the security team helps to resolve it.

We completed the deployment and implementation ourselves.

We don't have an issue with the price.

We have a bundle where the price includes all Microsoft products.

This is an area that I am not dealing with. I don't have all of the information.

What other advice do I have?

It's pretty good.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

EdherIbañez
Subject Matter Expert at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Provides malware and ransomware protection and scales easily

• "The most important and the most relevant features of Defender for Endpoint are the malware and ransomware protection."
  • "I would like to see the next generation of the tool improved to work with other operating systems, like Linux."

What is our primary use case?

It's used to protect endpoints and, for some customers, it is used to deploy Microsoft 365 suite features. Most of our clients are medium-sized businesses.

What is most valuable?

The most important and the most relevant features of Defender for Endpoint are the malware and ransomware protection.

What needs improvement?

I have had about a year's worth of experience with Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. I am a subject matter expert for a Microsoft partner in Colombia. We develop portfolios and solutions for our customers that need Microsoft products in their infrastructure. My role deals with the architecture of solutions.

I don't recall any issues with the solution.

It scales easily.

I haven't had to use technical support for the solution.

The setup depends on the customer, but it is generally simple.

Some customers have the licensing of the suite and have all infrastructure prepared for the installation and deployment. But in some cases, when customers haven't deployed the solution and don't have licenses, it can be expensive to start from scratch.

What other advice do I have?

Customers haven't given us any feedback about difficulties with the solution. With its intelligence and tools over cloud infrastructure, it's a good product. We are developing some use cases and projects for customers with Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. It is good for us.

Charles Levy
Systems Administrator at a transportation company with 201-500 employees
Delivers comprehensive, ongoing, and real-time protection against a number of threats

• "The antivirus features are very useful."
  • "We encountered some issues when we were trying to enable automatic updates from our group policy."

What is our primary use case?

Within our company, there are roughly 400-500 users of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The antivirus features are very useful.

What needs improvement?

We have onboarded a number of machines without any issues.

We find that Microsoft Defender Antivirus is very stable. We've experienced complications with other solutions in the past and found that this is one of the most stable solutions. It's also very scalable, too.

Marine data systems also handle our support. If we have any issues, we come to them first. Their support has been really good.

At first, the initial setup was a bit complex, but after we had some experience with it, it wasn't a problem.

Marine data systems is a partner of ours and they helped us with deployment — they're excellent.

We have evaluated and used Mindset before. We also evaluated Kaspersky. We decided to go with Microsoft Defender Antivirus because of its onboarding capabilities and automatic updating.

What other advice do I have?

Before settling on this solution, you should explore more than one form of ATP. Overall, Microsoft Defender Antivirus is a very good application.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
KR
Information Technology Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to configure, feature-rich, and easy to use

• "The protection that it provides is quite good."
  • "The user interface could use some improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Defender Antivirus as part of our security solution.

How has it helped my organization?

I have set Microsoft Windows Defender up to notify me when there is a problem. I open it up and then decide what to do. The interface has all of the important things that I want to be able to do.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and the only thing you need to do is make sure that you have internet, and keep your organization schema up to date. There is not much to do in terms of configuration.

The protection that it provides is quite good.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could use some improvement.

I have been using Microsoft Defender Antivirus since 2015.

I had been using AVG prior to Microsoft Defender.

There is no installation, as it comes pre-configured on the computer.

For most people, the price of the license is not something that they have to worry about.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I have recommended to my friends and I will continue to do so.

Overall, this is a good product and I have never been disappointed with it. That said, there is always something that can be improved.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft Defender for Endpoint Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.