Microsoft DPM Overview

Microsoft DPM is the #27 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Microsoft DPM vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Microsoft DPM?
Data Protection Manager (DPM) is an enterprise backup system. Using DPM you can backup (copy) data from a source location to a target secondary location. If original data is unavailable because of planned or unexpected issues, you can restore data from the secondary location. Using DPM you can back up application data from Microsoft servers and workloads, and file data from servers and client computers. You can create full backups, incremental backups, differential backups, and bare-metal backups to completely restore a system.

Microsoft DPM is also known as DPM, Data Protection Manager, MS DPM, MS DPM, MS DPM.

Microsoft DPM Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft DPM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Microsoft DPM Customers
Medical Park, Centropol Energy, a.s., NCFE, D & H Distributing, Metalor, Colosseum, a.s., Sanitas S.A., Icebreaker
Microsoft DPM Video

JA
DBA, Developer at a government with 201-500 employees
Good recovery functionality, however lacks an online community and is not a turn-key solution

What is our primary use case?

We're a local government entity and also a very Microsoft-centric shop. We use it for backing up the following workload types (All servers running Windows Server 20xx): - Physical Windows Servers - Hyper-V Servers (at the host level) - Hyper-V Servers ( at the guest level) - Sharepoint - Exchange - Network File Shares, implemented as CAFS (Continuously Available File Shares)

• "The solution backs up Microsoft workloads as well as anything on the market."
  • "There is a very poor online user community in terms of people blogging about their experiences with DPM."

What other advice do I have?

We're a government agency, so we don't have a business partnership with Microsoft. I would suggest that Microsoft try to figure out how to foster an online user community outside of their official channels. This has been a source of frustration for me. New users should know, before implementing the solution, that this community doesn't exist right now, so there's no way to third-party verify Microsoft claims. I would rate the solution five out of ten. I would say it's not an industry leader. It might work for some people and it might be the most cost-effective option for some people, however…
RamaswamyK
M. I. S. Manager at Ruby Mills Ltd
Good stability with an easy initial setup and capable of scaling

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a backup. We have some standalone and beta on it, however, we haven't got the whole stack on it now.

• "The initial setup is quite straightforward."
  • "The user interface can be improved quite a bit."

What other advice do I have?

We're just Microsoft customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company. I believe that I am using the latest version of the solution. We got into later versions as we didn't use the beta version. I wouldn't recommend this solution to others right now. It's not user-friendly enough. That level of annoyance with the product can really kill it. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. They used to give away this product and they stopped doing that. It would be nice if they returned to having it as a free solution. It would also be nice if they took some time to reconsider its…
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft DPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,693 professionals have used our research since 2012.
William Mugobogobo
Head of ICT Infrastructure & Security at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good compatibility and the automated procedure works well, but the management reporting needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product for backing up our entire environment, which includes our ERP and all of the other systems that we have.

• "The automated procedure is quite good for us, as it is able to capture all of the information that we require."
  • "Management reporting could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We are currently working with an on-premises deployment but we want to use the hybrid option now. We are looking forward to seeing how it performs. To this point, from what we have been using, we have found this product to be okay and we haven't had any major issues. We are happy with the features that we have. Overall, we are happy with this product. At the same time, I cannot give it a perfect rating until I see how well it scales in the cloud. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
RH
Group Assistant, General Manager of IT at CIC
Backup and recovery that is stable but support is no longer in existence

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for backup and recovery.

• "The most valuable feature is the recovery."
  • "We can't take a snapshot and take it outside, which is a problem."

What other advice do I have?

Because of our budget constraints, we had some issues and wanted to go ahead with this DPM because it is a Microsoft product. We were told that this particular software is known and in operation worldwide, and when it comes to backups in existence it's listed in the October 2019 report. My advice would be not to install DPM because of the support services. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
RamaswamyK
M. I. S. Manager at Ruby Mills Ltd
Has the ability to give a BMR for all the workstations or servers that I want to connect to

• "Its capability to give a BMR for all the workstations that I want to connect to."
  • "The user friendliness could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft DPM an eight on a scale from1-10.
MI
Managing Director at Adalites
Great features and functions flawlessly; integration with other products is not sufficient

What is our primary use case?

My work is on the customer side. I analyze a company's situation and figure out what's best for them from a cost perspective and an installation perspective. I'm a customer of Microsoft and managing director of the company.

• "It has an application backup, a file backup, a system backup and a hypervisor."
  • "Compatibility and integration with other products needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend Microsoft DPM as it is a cost-effective solution that works. It's worth checking the limitations of DPM before deployment, which can be done by reading the documentation. Make sure it's suitable for your needs and that it's going to work for you. I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.
Rodney Carlson
System Analyst at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Good search capability and supports full-system backup

What is our primary use case?

This solution is part of our main disaster recovery as well as long term recovery solution policy. It will work on physical and virtual machines.

• "The most valuable feature is that DPM has an index so individual files can be searched."
  • "Additional Hyper-V knowledge would be great."
IH
System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Suitable for small sites and businesses with Microsoft products, easy to use, but needs better reporting and better portability for other vendors

• "It is almost perfect for Microsoft products. It is not a very powerful tool, but it is okay for small sites and small businesses with Microsoft products. It is easy to use for backup and restore. It is good for backing up Microsoft servers such as Exchange and SharePoint servers."
  • "It needs portability for other vendors. It is good for backing up Microsoft servers, but it doesn't support third-party solutions such as Oracle Database. It depends on Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy, especially for Hyper-V, which has a lot of problems. They should enhance the Volume Shadow Copy functionality. Its reporting should also be better. Reporting is too weak in DPM."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for small businesses and small sites. I plan to keep using this solution. I would rate Microsoft DPM a seven out of ten.
See 1 more Microsoft DPM Reviews
Download our free Microsoft DPM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.