IB
Information Security Officer with 11-50 employees
Has good collaboration with Patch My PC which allows us to do patchwork

• "We are happy with the collaboration of SCCM with Patch My PC, which allows us to do patch work."
  • "In spite of us being a premier customer we find the support unsatisfactory."

What is most valuable?

The product is quite good. We are happy with the collaboration of SCCM with Patch My PC, which allows us to do patchwork.

What needs improvement?

While the solution is quite good, it can be difficult to understand the logic of this product when it comes to software inventory.

Upon examination of the on-premise and Azure environments, I feel that SCCM could be more flexible.

While the issue of documentation is not exclusive to SCCM, it can be improved. When it comes to Microsoft Office suite, it is not always clear to where the articles have been moved and the use of a built-in searching giant to find their whereabouts is not always a possibility. When the article is moved to a new location, it can make it challenging to find what I deem to be useful or interesting.

I believe we started using SCCM in 2003.

Microsoft technical support used to be better. In spite of us being a premier customer, we find the support unsatisfactory. The qualifications are not at issue, but the excessive time it takes for them to react, investigate and provide us with answers is.

When it comes to technical support, it is a crapshoot. I know how Microsoft works from the inside, as we used to work for the company. There are times when we will speak with a person who is really qualified and interested in helping and the case can be closed in the course of a single remote session or call.

At other times the ticket is apparently not rotated to the right person. In such cases, we will encounter someone who is merely being polite, towards the end of keeping the customer engaged but without the ability to help.

Pricing is not in my work description and is left up to management and my colleagues.

What other advice do I have?

Since I cannot think of anything in need of improvement concerning SCCM, I would rate it as a ten out of ten.

DH
Configuration Manager, MPE USARUER, G3, MCSD at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Great systems management that captures all the devices in our infrastructure

• "This solution captures all the devices in our infrastructure."
  • "Could do with some cosmetic improvements on the user interface."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this product is for infrastructure, capturing all the configuration items within our infrastructure. I'm the configuration manager and we are customers of SCCM.

What is most valuable?

I like that this solution captures all the devices in our infrastructure, quickly identifying those items based upon everything we've identified within the SCCM, as far as the proper nomenclature goes. Other things along those lines like serial numbers, and the location of things, it's all good stuff. The solution does exactly what it needs to do and in terms of being on the ITSM side of the house it just feeds into it.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see some cosmetic improvements on the user interface.

I've been using this solution for two years.

This solution definitely does what it's supposed to do.

Microsoft does a good job as far as putting information out there for anyone to train themselves, especially if it's within their Microsoft Virtual Academy. I don't deal with the administrative side of the house, but we have Microsoft system engineers we can contact if we need. The support is sufficient, very responsive and easy to work with.

The initial setup was straightforward and took around five hours. It was carried out by the two administrators in the company. We also have people on the team who are familiar with SCCM.

I don't know much about the licensing structure but I believe everything is probably included within the package.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to be aware of the capabilities of the software and all that it says it's designed to do, and to make sure that you educate yourself on the use of the software.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TM
Systems Engineer at a educational organization with 11-50 employees
Easy to use, easy to install and deploys quickly, but it's not stable and it needs to be more robost

• "It is easy to install, and quick to deploy."
  • "The database should be made to be more stable and robust, but not so much the configuration."

What is our primary use case?

In most cases, it is used by us to deploy software or manage configurations of certain applications.

We are pushing the WSUS updates through it and getting the normal systems grouping.

You can do your software package through it and you can create and run scripts.

What needs improvement?

I am not sure if it is just bad administration and maintenance, but it fails quite a lot.

For me, it's the database, or maybe it's the maintenance overhead. It could be that it requires a lot of maintenance. If you don't maintain it, things could go wrong, this is my assumption.

We have been using this solution for a couple of months.

We are using the latest version.

It is not always stable. When it works it works, but It has a very sensitive database and it almost always crashes when we use it, especially if you don't take care of it.

I can't really say that the scalability is good or bad because I haven't had to do much of it.

I have never used any other similar product.

It is easy to install and quick to deploy.

We have admins to maintain this solution.

We didn't really evaluate other products.

We are more of a Microsoft house. It works out better to use these products.

What other advice do I have?

As I have not used any other product, I can't say that I would or wouldn't recommend SCCM. If there is anything better, I would like to know.

It works, but the database fails almost every time. I would rate SCCM a seven out of ten.

Corne Van Der Westhuizen
Senior Systems Engineer at Datacom
A systems management software that's easy to use

• "I like its ease of use. It does what you need it to do, and it's a one-stop-shop for the company and for all your deployments. If you incorporate Intune into it, you can have both. You can bring your own devices and corporate devices, and everything runs out of SCCM and Intune."
  • "They should improve their anti-malware policies like the SCEP policies. For instance, you can't have different policies for different servers, there is only one policy in all the servers, and everything is covered under that. For example, say you want to scan one group of servers on Saturday, and then you want to scan another group of servers on Sunday, you can't do that. You have to scan all your servers, a regular scan or a full scan, on the same day and at the same time. That's definitely one thing they need to resolve. In the next release, it would actually be nice if they included Apple products. It will also help if you can use Intune again. Their compliance reporting feature could also be better. They can maybe work a bit on that for patching now. It would be better if SCCM came with the functions of Right Click Tools built-in. If SCCM would have all those functions already built-in, we won't have to go and spend $5,000, just as an add-in from another company to get those functions."

What is most valuable?

I like its ease of use. It does what you need it to do, and it's a one-stop-shop for the company and for all your deployments. If you incorporate Intune into it, you can have both. You can bring your own devices and corporate devices, and everything runs out of SCCM and Intune.

What needs improvement?

They should improve their anti-malware policies like the SCEP policies. For instance, you can't have different policies for different servers, there is only one policy in all the servers, and everything is covered under that.

For example, say you want to scan one group of servers on Saturday, and then you want to scan another group of servers on Sunday, you can't do that. You have to scan all your servers, a regular scan or a full scan, on the same day and at the same time. That's definitely one thing they need to resolve.

In the next release, it would actually be nice if they included Apple products. It will also help if you can use Intune again. Their compliance reporting feature could also be better. They can maybe work a bit on that for patching now.

It would be better if SCCM came with the functions of Right Click Tools built-in. If SCCM would have all those functions already built-in, we won't have to go and spend $5,000, just as an add-in from another company to get those functions.

I have been dealing with SCCM for nine years.

I used to be the SCCM administrator for quite a big company that had 80,000 people. That's pretty much all I did all day, every day.

BigFix is the poor man's SCCM. It's for people that can't afford SCCM and for small and medium-sized businesses. There's nothing else out there that can do what it can do.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give SCCM a nine.

DS
Sr. System Admin at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Good interface, easy to use, and reliable in terms of distribution and getting the report

• "It is a very good solution. It has a good interface and is easy to use. On top of that, it is very reliable in terms of distribution as well as getting the report."
  • "Its client interface should be more accessible, and the notifications should be more customizable from the console. It should be more user friendly and have some kind of customized notifications so that we can use it on the client side. These are the reasons why we restricted its use only for the server environment and didn't use it on the client side."

What is our primary use case?

We have just implemented a patch management solution. We are using SCCM for the server. For the client or endpoint, we are using a different product called Ivanti.

What is most valuable?

It is a very good solution. It has a good interface and is easy to use. On top of that, it is very reliable in terms of distribution as well as getting the report.

What needs improvement?

Its client interface should be more accessible, and the notifications should be more customizable from the console. It should be more user friendly and have some kind of customized notifications so that we can use it on the client side. These are the reasons why we restricted its use only for the server environment and didn't use it on the client side.

I cannot say anything about its scalability at this time. We are still exploring this solution. We are using SCCM for the server, so only IT people use it or log into it. In terms of nodes, about 500 nodes are using the product effectively.

I have not been in touch with Microsoft in terms of support for this solution. We are good. We do have people who get support from Microsoft for any issues, but I don't remember facing any issues recently on the SCCM front. We did have a call with Microsoft because SCCM was not supporting some applications on the patch upgrade front, and we wanted to explore and know future trends.

It is easy.

What other advice do I have?

We are still exploring this solution, and we haven't yet explored all the features.

I would rate SCCM an eight out of ten. It just needs a better user interface and some kind of customizations because currently, they are very limited.

JH
Lead System Administrator at a educational organization with 1,001-5,000 employees
Not user-friendly, the reporting needs improvement, and it can't be managed by one person, but it's stable

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for image and software deployment.

What needs improvement?

It wasn't very user-friendly. The reporting is not very good. It was hard to effectively manage with one person.

I have been using SCCM for ten years. We have version 2012.

It's a stable product. In terms of our experience with any bugs, glitches, or crashes there were not more than what is normal for Microsoft.

SCCM does not scale well, which is one of the reasons we are not going to continue to use it. We have six people in our organization who are using it.

I…

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for image and software deployment.

What needs improvement?

It wasn't very user-friendly.

The reporting is not very good.

It was hard to effectively manage with one person.

I have been using SCCM for ten years.

We have version 2012.

We have six people in our organization who are using it.

I have not had any contact with technical support.

Previously, I did not use another solution. SCCM was the only one that we used while I was there.

The initial setup is complex.

You need more than one person to manage the environment.

We are currently evaluating some EDR alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend using this solution. I didn't really like anything about it. In general, I am not a fan of Microsoft.

I would rate SCCM a four out of ten.

AO
Senior System Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, scales well, and the technical support team works quickly

What is our primary use case?

I am a system administrator and I use the System Center Configuration Manager for test deployment and Windows update.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the scalability.

What needs improvement?

If you need to reboot the system during Windows Update, it can take a long time. The deployment process is lengthy and should be quicker to complete.

I have three years of experience with SCCM.

I haven't had any problems with stability.

This is a scalable product. We have approximately 1,000 users and we plan to continue using it into the future.

How are customer service and technical

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the scalability.

What needs improvement?

The deployment process is lengthy and should be quicker to complete.

I have three years of experience with SCCM.

I haven't had any problems with stability.

The technical support from Microsoft is fast,

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup was not easy. It takes about half an hour to install, and then it has to be configured. The deployment will take approximately six hours in total.

I deployed it myself.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this product works well and I recommend it.

AM
Senior Engineer - IT Security Systems at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
A highly-scalable solution that allows us to test out VMs

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to test out VMs.

What is most valuable?

The ability to make collections and deploy to them has been great.

What needs improvement?

The ability to integrate MDM would be great.

We just set up our lab, so we've only been using this solution for three months.

So far, we've had no issues with bugs or glitches.

SCCM is highly scalable.

I have not had to contact technical support.

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to test out VMs.

What is most valuable?

The ability to make collections and deploy to them has been great.

What needs improvement?

The ability to integrate MDM would be great.

So far, we've had no issues with bugs or glitches.

SCCM is highly scalable.

I have not had to contact technical support.

As someone who is quite familiar with IT, the initial setup was quite straightforward. It would definitely be complicated if you're not familiar with IT.

Presently, I am using a free trial version.

What other advice do I have?

I really like SCCM. I am constantly learning new things all the time. So far, it seems pretty straightforward.

It's a good product designed for medium to large-sized environments that need to automate their deployments and set them in an organized manner.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

Download our free Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.