Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security is #13 ranked solution in top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. IT Central Station users give Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security an average rating of 8 out of 10. Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security is most commonly compared to Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine):Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security vs Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine). The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
What is Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security?

Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security (EMS) is the only comprehensive solution designed to help manage and protect users, devices, apps, and data in a mobile-first, cloud-first world.

Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security was previously known as Enterprise Mobility + Security E3, Enterprise Mobility + Security E5, MS Enterprise Mobility + Security.

Download the Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security Customers

Mars, Whole Foods, Land O'Lakes, Dow

Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security Video

Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security Reviews

RK
Java Developer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Excellent security and documentation with constant updating to protect from threats

• "The solution offers excellent documentation that is easily available online."
  • "Technical support could be improved. Sometimes they use a third party that's not so knowledgeable in the product and that can slow down things a bit."

What is our primary use case?

It's a solution that's basically helping administrators to manage the end-user environment. Whatever they're doing in the system, we make sure there's no data leakage happening, and we are fully protected, and always getting security patches.

What is most valuable?

The security is good. The ATP and Windows defender are excellent. They command the security like Defender, which is similar to a machine-based cloud protected environment. Basically, the solution ensures that computers are safe and secure. The productivity and security are excellent.

The solution is continuously evolving and updating to make sure it is always up-to-date on the latest threats.

The solution offers excellent documentation that is easily available online.

What needs improvement?

We've been using the solution for four years.

The solution is pretty stable. We haven't had issues with bugs or glitches.

We have about 2,000 to 3,000 users on the product currently. We use the solution on a daily basis.

The solution is easy to scale.

Support wise, I do notice they are selling the fast track program if you're using related versions of the solution. If you're signing an E5 licensing contract with them, they offer third-party support which, in some cases, has limited knowledge, and sometimes they struggle to get the right answer.

I've found that they're also providing their own premium support. Sometimes users have to spend some time when there are lots of incoming calls, but sooner or later you get the answer to what you are looking for, directly from Microsoft.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is always complex to implement, but they provide direct support through Microsoft, and Microsoft direct support is pretty good. Their documentation is one of the best tools that they have and it's all online. Referring to the documentation helps people solve any issues rather quickly.

Currently, we are automating the installations. We have 15,000 devices to manage, so we did a lot of customization in terms of installations. We are not doing manual installs anymore. So far, the automation process has been pretty stable. It still requires some professional engagements, but it's a lot less than if it was all done manually.

Maintenance is always necessary as you can't automate everything. You don't want systems to fail; you need to do the self-service when it comes to maintenance and investigations. How many people a company will need depends on the size of the enterprise. In my company, there are 15,000 devices, with a team of 20 people assigned to maintenance.

I don't directly deal with licensing and costs. I understand that Microsoft does allow for the buying of licenses in bulk and that they have to give companies additional support on the products.

What other advice do I have?

It's actually just not one product, it's a combination of products. For example, there is Windows inside it. It's got editions of CCM, Office, etc. All are deployed with them. There's also no one particular version here. They are always evolving and updating.

The deployment we have is a hybrid kind of contract. However, we are mainly using on-premise deployment. We are currently trying out the could and we are still taking time to explore it. We're asking ourselves: what is the benefit we are going to get?

I would recommend other organizations go for E5 licenses rather than relying on E3 if they want better support services from Microsoft.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

AS
Technical Lead
Helped us integrate our organizations with one tool

• "Integration between our departments has been the most valuable."
  • "We did the deployment with the help of Microsoft's consultants. But sometimes, we found it difficult to educate the application developers to integrate."

What is our primary use case?

There is one application that was in-house, which was developed by one of the internal in-house application itself. That application, we have integrated and we get support from the vendor, from Microsoft. We have set up the application in our environment. This is what I have done for three or four months for one or two applications.

How has it helped my organization?

More information is available on the internet. I found it more geographical. It is user-friendly. Apart from that, there's a particular feature which I can tell you, that is what is user-friendly so I can do anything. We publish it.

What is most valuable?

Integration has been the most valuable. The tools helped us in a case in one of my organizations that there were two organizations that were going to unite. One organization was using one IDM tool and the other is using the different one. This became a little bit difficult to handle. It would be great if we could have the same application for both organizations. It would be great if we can integrate them somehow.

For Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security, I've not worked much with it and have only been exposed to it for three or four months where I have published one or two applications.

Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security is stable.

The technical support is quite good. As of now, I am not faced with anything that was neglected or that is unsolvable. I always get a prompt response as well.

In my organization most of them will be migrating to Microsoft, leaving AirWatch and MobileIron.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It took one and a half months to deploy it. Two or three months configuring and teaching Service Desk and the level one people. In my organization most of them will be migrating to Microsoft, leaving the AirWatch and MobileIron. The number of users is around 15,000+ in one project.

We did the deployment with the help of Microsoft's consultants. But sometimes, we found it difficult to educate the application developers to integrate. But that was solvable because they also found the articles on the internet.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security at an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, VMware, IBM and others in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM). Updated: November 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Petter Vestengen
Senior Infrastructure Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Good for securing files, a mostly straightforward setup, and good technical support

• "The solution is very good at securing files. For example, if I forward a secure document, it's blocked from others, as I can send it with restrictions in relation to who can open it."
  • "The MDM part of the engine could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for MDM and file protection.

Excellent for mail and Office365 aps on mobile devices and cloud services.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The MDM part of the engine could be better.

There should be more desktop support.

Overall, we're satisfied with the features that are available on the solution currently.

I've been using the solution for almost five years.

The solution is stable. We haven't had issues with bugs, glitches or crashes. We've been very satisfied with the stability overall.

I believe the solution is scalable. I don't think much about it since it just scales itself.

I'm not sure how many users are on the solution in my organization. I've done several installations. We have a staff ranging around 15,000 employees.

I've personally been in touch with technical support. I'm very satisfied with their level of support.

We previously used the Config Manager for client administration. It's not too similar to our current solution. This one is much more modern and quite dynamic.

The complexity of the initial setup depends on the planning. It can be straightforward, but it need to be planned appropriately.

What other advice do I have?

We have a business relationship with Microsoft.

I'd recommend that product, however, planning is the most important thing an organization can do to prep for implementation. It's a good idea to get someone with experience and who understands your needs to assist you at the beginning.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.