Microsoft Exchange Online Protection OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Exchange Online Protection is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Anti-Malware Tools. It is most often compared to Proofpoint Email Protection: Microsoft Exchange Online Protection vs Proofpoint Email Protection

What is Microsoft Exchange Online Protection?

Exchange Online Protection (EOP) is the cloud-based filtering service that helps protect your organization against spam and malware. EOP is included in all Microsoft 365 organizations with Exchange Online mailboxes.

Microsoft Exchange Online Protection is also known as Microsoft EOP, MS Exchange Online Protection.

Download the Anti-Malware Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Microsoft Exchange Online Protection Video

Microsoft Exchange Online Protection Reviews

Tim Platson
Solutions Architect at One Click
MSP
Protects our customers from spammers

• "It has a really nice web-based administration console."
  • "I think the implementation could be more streamlined."

What is our primary use case?

It's a spam filter and an antivirus solution. It protects our clients from spammers.

What is most valuable?

It has a really nice web-based administration console. Thanks to this, our clients are not tied to a particular server or workstation. They can just hit a URL anywhere in the enterprise and view the console.

The included patch management system is really good. It keeps itself up to date which is critical when you're dealing with anti-virus and spam filtering. Overall, I think it's really a great product.

What needs improvement?

It kind of has a heavy footprint — in terms of an implementation footprint. I think the implementation could be more streamlined. The implementation could be more flexible in terms of allowing users to pick and choose where they want to deploy.

Personally, I like to be able to pick and choose what I'm implementing and where I am implementing it in the environment instead of having to install the whole stack.

In the next release, I would like to see them add some features beyond just spam and anti-virus. Maybe some bulk email tools — in terms of being able to send them from within the environment. Send group emails, send information to the administration team; I'd like to see them add some MailChimp kind of functionality or mailing lists.

Instead of just providing spam and anti-virus filtering, I'd like to see them add more feature functionality. The one thing that I don't like is that it's very much a point product. It just does what it does, very specialized. I think this industry as a whole is going away from point products and heading towards suites — integrated suites that do a number of different things. I think that they would be wise to fold this into a broader overall suite of products.

I have been using Microsoft Exchange Online Protection for roughly 15-16 years.

This solution is exceptionally stable. It scales excellently for what it's used for.

The technical support is outstanding.

The initial setup is straightforward.

ROI-wise, this solution has been great.

What other advice do I have?

If you're interested in using this solution, make sure you understand the technical requirements and deploy it somewhere where it will have access both inside and outside that it needs. Inside, it needs to see the mail stores, and outside it needs to be able to download the packages that it needs to provide the spam and anti-virus filtering with protection.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of ten.

Download our free Anti-Malware Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Trend Micro, TitanHQ, and more!