Microsoft Exchange Online OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Exchange Online is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Email Applications. It is most often compared to G Suite Enterprise: Microsoft Exchange Online vs G Suite Enterprise

What is Microsoft Exchange Online?
Exchange Online helps protect your information with advanced capabilities. Anti-malware and anti-spam filtering protect mailboxes. Data loss prevention capabilities prevent users from mistakenly sending sensitive information to unauthorized people. Globally redundant servers, premier disaster recovery capabilities, and a team of security experts monitoring Exchange Online around the clock safeguard your data.

Microsoft Exchange Online is also known as Exchange Online, Exchange Online Plan 1, Exchange Online Plan 2, MS Exchange Online.

Download the Email Applications Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Microsoft Exchange Online Customers
Bank Alfalah Ltd., Paderborn-Lippstadt Airport, Blue Star Infotech, Scitec Nutrition, Resolution Films, British Airways, Empire Cinemas, InnoGames
Microsoft Exchange Online Video

Archived Microsoft Exchange Online Reviews (more than two years old)

PunitThakkar
CEO at Shivaami Cloud Services Pvt. Ltd.
It is a stable product, but there are challenges regarding user provisioning.

• "I have not had issues with stability of the product."
  • "I would like to let new users know that there are challenges regarding user provisioning, HRMS and the AD. Also, the data migration integrity needs to be checked in terms of the old data."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use of this solution is for emailing and for the e-calendar.

What needs improvement?

I cannot see anything that needs room for improvement at this time.

I have not had issues with the stability of the product.

Regarding scalability, we initially did have some issues with scalability. We have 150 people using the product.

Tech support is a challenge at times. They take a long time to respond. Sometimes we have to wait two to three days for a response. They do help, at that point, but the response time is slow.

The initial setup was not complex. There was a learning curve, but we overcame the challenge. We used the Microsoft website to help us with our questions.

The pricing is a bit more expensive than other solutions.

We also have entities that use G Suite, and we have noticed that it is much smoother. We also considered IBM products, but we did not truly consider that as an option because of our Active Directory.

What other advice do I have?

I would like to let new users know that there are challenges regarding user provisioning, HRMS and the AD. Also, the data migration integrity needs to be checked in terms of the old data.

NP
Alliance Manager at Berca Hardaya Perkasa
Using Microsoft Exchange is the easiest way to sync with Outlook

What is our primary use case?

A lot of mobile workers, and all well-known workers with Microsoft Outlook Using Microsoft Exchange is the easiest way to sync with Outlook.

How has it helped my organization?

Now we move to opex, but the problem is, the cost is more expensive than other online email solutions.

What is most valuable?

We are using E3, but actually, users only use email and not Teams because they are not familiar with Teams.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Teams, and anti-spam, because a lot of spam still comes from outside Create the easiest tools to migrate from other email solutions.

What is our primary use case?

• A lot of mobile workers, and all well-known workers with Microsoft Outlook
  • Using Microsoft Exchange is the easiest way to sync with Outlook.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

• Microsoft Teams, and anti-spam, because a lot of spam still comes from outside
  • Create the easiest tools to migrate from other email solutions.

Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Google, Zimbra and others in Email Applications. Updated: September 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AhmedBayoumi
IT Team Leader (Network and Security) at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
It is a scalable product. We easily use it for 500 employees.

• "It is a scalable product. We are using it for 500 users."
  • "I have found that Microsoft has vulnerabilities when it comes to Exchange Online. It has become the port of a lot of hacker attacks."

What is our primary use case?

I have found that Exchange Online is a wonderful product with good capabilities to manage the administration of my business.

What needs improvement?

I have found that Microsoft has vulnerabilities when it comes to Exchange Online. It has become the port of a lot of hacker attacks. We investigated the issue, and opened a ticket and the support told us to upgrade from E3 to E5. We upgraded, but we found ourselves still being attacked daily.

In addition, I cannot see good reporting tools. The vulnerability in security is in dire need of improvement. If anyone has a username or a password of an admin, you can access and then go live for everything. Microsoft suggests a two-factor authentication to resolve the issue. But, it is not always helpful.

It is a scalable product. We are using it for 500 users at present. It is a sizeable network.

The tech support is good. If I have issues, they respond within an hour of my call. They are generally knowledgeable and provide solutions.

The setup was easy, and took only an hour.

This solution really does save us a lot of time. And, we saved a significant amount of money by using this service.

We have a license per user scenario.

We have looked at FireEye and Dynatrace as possible other options for protection. We also considered Trend Micro for sandbox protection.

Sunil Dara
Director with 11-50 employees
It Integrates Flawlessly With Other Microsoft Products.

• "I think there should be an incorporation of DLP on the business premium version of Exchange, as well."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this solution for an email bank for my organization.

How has it helped my organization?

From the security point of view, you can specify the IP range from the area your system should be connected. You can have the authentication based on the user certificates of your Active Directory. This improves the security, as well. There is a flawless integration. This is something I like about Exchange.

What needs improvement?

I think there should be an incorporation of DLP on the business premium version of Exchange as well.

There have been some occasional deviations, but overall it is a stable product.

We have 3,000 users. We have not encountered any issues with scalability of the product.

A long time ago we used Zimbra and Postmaster. In comparison, in terms of manageability there was a concern with those solutions. Exchange excels in comparison.

The implementation only took us about an hour. You just connect easily, set up the domain, and you are good to go! We implemented it for 3,000 users.

The price is a bit high. It is especially expensive in the Indian market.

When we were looking at other solutions, we noticed that Exchange has a better collaborative approach with SharePoint, as well. That is important for us. In terms of the DLP, others are using endpoint DLP, but not the email DLP like Exchange is currently doing.

Keith Williams
    Infrastructure Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    I really like the unlimited archiving, the hold and redemption policy functionality.

• "Tech support has been great, when necessary."
    • "It is a stable, and highly scalable product."
    • "Migration can be an issue if you do not have a good audit process."
    • "Functionality wise, I can't really say it's improved from Exchange Online, I think it's not so much change on-premise. It's about the same. Other than that, it's the extra features that make a difference, really"

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this as a business solution for service desk, mails and the automation process. This year, we did a migration process from Exchange to Exchange Online, and that included everything that goes with that.

How has it helped my organization?

A better approach for them to use Exchange Online was to have the host serve us in a cloud service. Functionality wise, I can't really say it's improved from Exchange Online, I think it's not so much change on-premise. It's about the same. Other than that, it's the extra features  that make a difference, really.

I think with Exchange, it's a lot of integration functionality with the Skype for business. It's quite accepted if you like an almost-defective standard. Especially in the region that we email them, definitely in the Asia-Pacific region or at least Oceania region. It's really easy to use. The the room and shared mailbox functionality that people use, it just all really works well together.

What is most valuable?

The features that are most valuable are: unlimited archiving, the hold and redemption policy functionality.

There were no issues of stability at all. I have not experienced issues of connectivity or backend issues at all.

This is a highly scalable solution. We implemented it for 160 users. All the space you need is there. You could quickly grow it. All the functionality is there. You've got the power shelf or bulk work that you need to do. There are no issues.

Tech support has been great, when necessary. There is a quick response time. The specific issues we were dealing with were to verify an end-case. We did have to go through three or four different people, who gave us different answers. But, we finally got a response from a tech specialist who plainly told us that we could not do what we wanted to do. We found the tech support highly intelligent and knowledgeable.

Initial setup was straightforward.

We worked out the investment was a worthwhile investment that saved itself in about eight months. The investment in the project to get it across would pay for itself by reducing the on-premise Exchange costs. There is a definite return on investment by using this solution.

Regarding the pricing and licensing of the solution, it's great. I think it's just awesome. There's no argument about how much value you get on the per user, for user expenditure. It's really great, I don't have any issues with it. I think it's excellent.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you've got a set user base from all areas of the business because everyone in different departments uses the mail functionality differently. Just make sure you have a really good audit process of what your current environment really is doing before you do your migration.

RC
    Manager IT Projects & Systems Integration with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Review about Microsoft Exchange Online

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is for clumping emails, and group emails according to the conversation. It helps us sift through 100s of emails.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution helped us reduce a lot of overhead.

What needs improvement?

I would love to have a feature that transfers my notes that I have written on my laptop to my mobile device. Also, I think the mobile app on the forms you can improve a little bit more.

More than five years.

I have not encountered any issues with stability of the product at all.

We have roughly 500 people using this product in our…

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

This solution helped us reduce a lot of overhead.

More than five years.

I have not encountered any issues with stability of the product at all.

We have roughly 500 people using this product in our organization. We have had no problem scaling it with our users.

The initial setup was straightforward. But, it took a bit of time because we had a lot of PST files with the users, and we had to migrate them batch by batch.

I am familiar with Google and G Suite. I do not have personal comparisons between the two.

RG
    Senior Technology Support Analyst at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
    I am very happy with the UI, and the admins here are happy with the administrative control.

What is our primary use case?

We have users in our company and we wanted to see if we change from the older 2010 version, how it is functioning with the new users. Once we did so, we decided to change to Microsoft Exchange Online.

What is most valuable?

It is pretty good, and user friendly. I am very happy with the VUI, and the admins here are happy with the administrative control.

What needs improvement?

Exchange remains slow for us. In addition, in terms of machine controls, it was very confusing, and some of the administrative parts will be done from the control, but in online writing mostly we can handle everything.

Three to five years.

I have no issues with stability of the…

Three to five years.

I have no issues with stability of the Microsoft Exchange product.

I have no issues with scalability of the Microsoft Exchange product.

The tech support was very helpful.

The initial setup was good. Initially, we had a hard time with installing the hybrid environment online, but we contacted the Microsoft technicians, and they helped us through it.

RR
    Tech Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The management is very simple. The unlimited storage is a nice feature.

• "It is a reasonable solution."
    • "It is very manageable."
    • "Its most valuable feature is the unlimited storage. It also has very little downtime."
    • "For example, recently there were some spam incidents that Microsoft does not currently mitigate because they have another paid solution to do so. It would be nice to integrate the security and the anti-spam (i.e. the fake links, etc.) along with the Exchange Online default."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for a mailing solution. It is an amazing solution that we have been using for quite some time.

How has it helped my organization?

The management is very simple, using Exchange Online. So basically you just start a license. So that way, management is very simple.

What is most valuable?

Its most valuable feature is the unlimited storage. It also has very little downtime. In addition, there is a lot of security which comes with this product. I do not think of integration of anything without this solution.

What needs improvement?

There is still room for improvement. For example, recently there were some spam incidents that Microsoft does not currently mitigate because they have another paid solution to do so. It would be nice to integrate the security and the anti-spam (i.e. the fake links, etc.) along with the Exchange Online default.

More than five years.

I have not experienced any issues with stability of the solution.

I have not experienced any issues with the scalability of the solution.

I think the tech support was very good. There are different types of support provided. We had some recent issues regarding anti-spam.

We upgraded from earlier versions of Exchange to the current Exchange Online. We noticed that the last version had a limitation of data storage. With the current Exchange Online, if I have a license, I can have unlimited storage. So, I do not have to worry about anything, and I can keep all of the emails on the cloud, accessible from all of my devices. It is also a welcome integration with all Microsoft Suite products. This is a nice added advantage.

The initial setup was not that complex. If you have experience with Microsoft Exchange, then the setup of Microsoft Exchange Online is still fairly straightforward.

I think it is a very manageable and reasonable solution. There are different licensing agreements that you can choose, according to your company's needs. In general, I think this is a pretty reasonable solution.

We started with Exchange, so we did not look at other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Exchange Online is the best solution currently available in the market. And we see from our experience that people are moving from different mailing solutions to Exchange Online. It works very well with your Microsoft Suite of products such as : Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.

Prahlad Singh
    Solutions Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It is a solid product, without a doubt.

• "The reliability factor is high."
    • "Stability has increased exponentially since 2010."
    • "It should integrate better with social media formats."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is as a messaging solution for our company.We use it both for internal and external messaging services.

How has it helped my organization?

There are two aspects to the improvement of our organization. First, is the data reliability, the ability for an administrator to provide data which has been in the user's mailbox. For example, if someone lost the email because of inadvertently deleting the emails, or anything, any object inside the inbox, whether it's a contact or a folder or an email. The admin can actually go and restore that information quite easily, rather than any other solution.

Second, the mobility of the solution helps solve issues with information access across varied platforms. This has helped us if there are issues concerning emails that must be recovered due to legal issues, and the like.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice for SharePoint to integrate with other social media platforms like Twitter, WhatsApp and Facebook. If all of these channels could perform together, that would be great.

In addition, there should be a feature of informing a user if the video, or large file someone would like to attach is too big a file. Instead of bouncing back to the writer, it should warn the user with a message that they cannot send a file over 30, 40 or 50 MB. It could be more engaging with the user, and this will make the platform more user-friendly.

More than five years.

The stability has increased exponentially since 2010. It is currently not an issue. There are fewer and fewer issues regarding how the backend handles data. The reliability factor is high.

I have not encountered issues with scalability of the solution.

I have had limited interraction with tech support. Whatever experience I had was OK. I have occasionally opened cases with them.

It is straightforward, and not complex. If you have your IT director implement it, it has to be planned because users are using it and do not have a habit of cleaning up their mail boxes.

Initially, we had issues with the licensing agreement, but we worked it out with Microsoft.

SumanB
    Assistant Manager IT at ACP BILLING SERVICES PVT LTD
    Previously, we hosted our email servers with GoDaddy. We migrated the email addresses to Office 365 and we enabled mailboxes in Exchange Online.

• "It helps us manage the email focus from our side."
    • "In the past, we had issues with DB in mailboxes."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for email services.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, we hosted our email servers with GoDaddy. We migrated the email addresses to Office 365 and we enabled mailboxes in Exchange Online and we now manage the email focus from our side. I administrate this for our company through Microsoft Exchange.

What needs improvement?

There were prior issues with DB in the mailboxes. But, Microsoft has recently increased from 50 DB to 100 DB. So that is one of the nice recent changes from Microsoft.

Three to five years.

Yes, at times there are issues with stability. I receive feedback about issues that are happening with our staff. But, I have easily figured out how to resolve the issues from my side, and easily resolve the user issues.

We have had no issues with scalability.

The tech support have always been very nice and helpful to us.

I used GoDaddy in the past.

I have no comment about the pricing of the product.

The other solutions I have experience with is GoDaddy and Skype.

Network Manager / Senior Network Engineer at Warnock, Tanner & Associates
    It has an intuitive GUI including most features found in Exchange Server

What is our primary use case?

We use Exchange Online to host our company email.  Now that O365 admin portal has been becoming more and more powerful I rarely find myself needing to use the Exchange Admin portal.

We have many customers that use Exchange Online. All of which has become much easier to manage over the years as the O365 admin portal has developed.

How has it helped my organization?

I have made about 10 migrations from Gmail, ATT, Amplex, 2007 - 2013 on prem Exchange servers to Exchange Online. The uptime and stability is far better than any on-prem or hosted solution I have used in the past.

Being a MS partner gives you central administration over all of your customers.

What is most valuable?

- O365 Admin portal
    - New admin reports
    - Office 365 Secure Score
    - Integrated Security
    - Ease of migration from anywhere
    - Intuitive GUI for control (Has greatly improved)
    - Filters
    - Granular control
    - Encryption for HIPPA standards
    - Central administration over all applications and clients
    - Built in support ticket system
    - Free mobile applications (applies to specific subscriptions)

What needs improvement?

Microsoft does not provide an automated way to migrate Public Folders. At this time you will need to run a series of complex PowerShell commands.

Supposedly Microsoft has done something about the public folders, however I have not investigated it.  This may or may not still be an issue.

Three to five years.

The dashboard reveals when there are issues but none that my customers have ever experienced.

Exchange Online is extremely scalable. I know a company that migrate over 10k mailboxes. I am sure there are many companies that are much bigger yet.

10 out of 10

10 out of 10

As stated earlier, I have used Exchange on premises solutions, google, ATT, Rackspace and other solutions. They all do mail and do it well, however the ease of integration, simplicity of administration, and the overall support is the best!

There is a learning curve when migrating from other solutions. Once you understand the process it is straight forward

All implementations were performed by me.

Currently as a Microsoft Partner we do not pay for an E3 license of O365 which includes Exchange Online. As for customers they are billed directly from Microsoft.

As a partner of record on each customer Microsoft pays out residuals as long as the customer continues to pay for the service.

If you are not a partner the ROI is based on the fact that you no longer need to pay for hardware/software, hardware/software maintenance, and labor to perform upgrades, maintenance, and troubleshooting of hardware/software.

The plans can be confusing. Take time to understand what you need, what you will need in the future, and buy a plan accordingly.

Gmail, ATT, Amplex, other ISP solutions, On-prem Exhange.

What other advice do I have?

Moving to Exchange Online open doors for many options that come with O365 and Azure. As technology continues to move forward it is pushing us to the cloud. Starting with email in the cloud open doors for other solutions that may fit your business.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partners
    Microsoft System Engineer at Summit Technology Solution
    Migrations in the cloud provide stability, allowing users to focus on administering online without the need for an IT professional.

Valuable Features:

• File Server or DFS migration to SharePoint online.
    • Very stable product and is highly available.
    • ITB storage.
    • Assign same file server permission on SharePoint online.
    • SharePoint online can integrate with Exchange on premises or online.
    • Document automation.

Improvements to My Organization:

One of the best products. What I really love about SharePoint especially is SharePoint online.

Not only will you get the SharePoint benefits, but it's also highly available. I made a migration with more than 4 companies at Egypt from file server to Sharepoint online. They were very happy because of the stability of the cloud and they forgot the troubleshooting to the servers. They can just focus on the administration of SharePoint online.

Also one of these companies doesn't have an IT professional admin or even help desk, so they are working with Skype for Business online. With Exchange SharePoint and one drive, they are happy because of the storage they have as well as not needing an IT professional to administer it. It just requires adding some features and assigning some permissions and they are very happy and satisfied with SharePoint (the Office 365 suite).

Microsoft System Engineer at Summit Technology Solution
    It's available 99% of the time, but its storage capacity could be improved.

Valuable Features:

Office 365 is one of the strongest solutions that I've seen. In my mind, it will change the whole world in the way servers are used. It provides stability for every organization, especially small & mid-sized.

Improvements to My Organization:

One of the solutions of Office 365 is Exchange Online:

Exchange Online is part of the Office 365 family. It provides a lot of features, but the most important one to me is that it's always available, meaning I have no maintenance headaches. It's available 99% of the time, which means that downtime is less than a half hour per year -- which is awesome for any organization. From my experience, Exchange Online is very stable, there's never downtime, and users are satisfied with the 50 GB mailbox they each get (useful for when they, for example, forget to delete emails or something like that). They can also just connect via internet and they will be up and running. Also, while the migration is neither difficult nor easy, it's a nice feature. The option to stay with hybrid with Exchange premium is good too because that if I don't have enough money to extend my users, I can still stick with the free version.

Room for Improvement:

• storage capacity
    • updates
    Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We integrate Microsoft solutions for our customers.
    it_user6621
    Consultant with 501-1,000 employees
    Encourages endless inefficient communications.

Valuable Features:

Intuitive in how to use. Organized so that all thread based and author based communications can be found easily.

Room for Improvement:

Encourages endless inefficient communications. Do not recommend it for companies that are trying to create efficient decision making processes and agile movement.