PB
Project Manager at a transportation company with 51-200 employees
Easy initial setup but lacks online functionality

• "The initial setup is quite a straightforward process. I don't think it is a very complicated solution. Plenty of things could be more complex, but the ordinary, general settings are quite simple."
  • "In terms of what should be improved, they should probably move to a cloud option like Office 365. We would like to get this functionality without the need to deploy complex hardware and software solutions. This should be the next thing, making Exchange more related to Office products, which are more cloud-oriented, less on-premise or desktop-oriented solutions, like the direction Google is strongly moving towards."

What is our primary use case?

At the moment, our primary use case is mostly for mailing, but in the near future we will be more focused on collaboration, as well.

What is most valuable?

There is nothing special that I like with Exchange. They made a system that works in business. It is quite normal that companies use Exchange.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what should be improved, they should probably move to a cloud option like Office 365. We would like to get this functionality without the need to deploy complex hardware and software solutions. This should be the next thing, making Exchange more related to Office products, which are more cloud-oriented, less on-premise or desktop-oriented solutions, like the direction Google is strongly moving towards.

I have been using Microsoft Exchange for about five years.

In terms of stability, if you are a user or if you have a number of users, especially a big number of users, there will occasionally be some bugs in the product. That is a normal situation.

In terms of current users, I think we have about 3,000 or 4,000.

They are not dedicated solely to the Exchange. They are also supporting other software technology solutions.

My experience with tech support is that they are mostly good enough.

The initial setup is quite a straightforward process. I don't think it is a very complicated solution. Plenty of things could be more complex, but the ordinary, general settings are quite simple.

What other advice do I have?

My personal preference would be a Google solution. It is not a big difference. My advice to anyone considering Microsoft Exchange would be, stay with your product because switching to another product can be costly and a complicated task.

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate Microsoft Exchange a 6.

It may be that some nice features are missing.

VP
Delivery manager at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
MSP
A stable and scalable solution with good technical support, but should be easier to deploy

• "The technical support is fine."
  • "The solution should be easier to deploy."

What is our primary use case?

I believe I had used my previous version in 2010 or 2016. Subsequently, more people switched to Office 365, Exchange Online.

Microsoft Exchange is exclusively an email solution and this is what we use it for.

What is most valuable?

The performance is good.

What needs improvement?

The solution should be easier to deploy.

I have used Microsoft Exchange for a couple of years. I'm now using Office 365, Exchange Online.

The solution is stable.

The solution can scale up to whatever number of users one desires. This depends on one's infrastructure.

The solution is scalable.

The technical support is fine.

The deployment could be easier.

I believe the installation lasted a couple of hours. However, further integration takes time and this can vary with the additional features one wants, customization which is based on the ETA, the rules and one's desire to make the solution visible to others.

Once the solution is wholly deployed, there is not much need for further intervention.

We pay for the license annually. We could take advantage of it throughout the course of the year, although it is now online, meaning subscription-based, by which the person can receive all the bookings, save for the mailing system.

What other advice do I have?

I'm currently using Office 365, Exchange Online.

The solution can scale up to whatever number of users one desires. This is wholly dependent on one's infrastructure.

We have approximately eight to ten thousand users making use of it in our organization.

I would recommend the solution to others. People are gravitating towards it.

I rate Microsoft Exchange as a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Exchange. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Muhammad Shoaib Bhatti
CoFounder/CTO at Hybrid Technologies
Reseller
Subscription-based pricing that you can budget, and it is both stable and scalable

• "Customers can benefit from this new pricing model because it's expensive and now with the subscription they can budget for this."
  • "The pricing could be better, and it could have an easier implementation."

What is our primary use case?

I am a reseller of Microsoft products.

The primary use case of this solution is for email communication.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be better, and it could have an easier implementation.

I have been selling Microsoft Exchange for approximately 12 years.

We sell various versions, it depends on the current market.

It's a stable product.

It's a scalable solution. There are approximately 100 people using this product.

90% of our customers are using it, whereas 10% are using other solutions.

We plan to continue selling this product.

Depending on the customer's requirements, it could be easy to install or it can be very complex.

If it's a new, fresh deployment, then it's very easy.

When migrating, we have to follow the restrictions of Microsoft and sometimes it can be really complex. It depends on customer scenarios.

We have a technical team who are certified with Microsoft, for deployment, migrations, maintenance, and support.

It's a little bit expensive.

Microsoft is now introducing a new pricing model which is subscription-based. Previously, it was a one-time purchase and you could use it until the product came to the end of life. Now it's subscription-based and you can use the subscription yearly.

Customers can benefit from this new pricing model because it's expensive, and now with the subscription, they can budget for this.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I can recommend to others.

I would rate Microsoft Exchange a nine out of ten.

HU
Senior System Administrator at Secure Code
A stable and scalable business email and calendaring server that's user-friendly

• "It's a very user-friendly application. The mail server is also valuable when compared to other services like SquirrelMail."
  • "From a security point of view, Microsoft should enhance the new features. Technical support could also be better."

What is most valuable?

It's a very user-friendly application. The mail server is also valuable when compared to other services like SquirrelMail.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Microsoft Exchange for about three or four years.

Exchange is a very good Microsoft product, and it's very stable. It's rare to face issues like mailboxes, but troubleshooting is very easy.

From a security point of view, Microsoft Edge's role is very good. This is because the Edge server is not part of an internal network. If there's a vector attack on Exchange, it will affect only the internal Exchange Edge server and not our private network or DMZ.

This product is reliable and very scalable. We have almost 5,000 users at the moment.

Technical support is average at best. Many times Microsoft engineers took a long time to support us after we logged a case.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft Exchange is for any company with 400 to 500 people, but a mid-size company can also use this product. It's not very costly for them. The alternative many companies are using is Gmail desktop services with about 100 users. I don't know about the quantity, but many companies are using Gmail as a free service because they don't want to invest in other products like Microsoft Exchange or Microsoft Office 365.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Exchange a nine.

RM
IT Infrastructure Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good technical support, simple to set up, and easy to scale

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is for email and communication. We also implement this product for our customers.

What needs improvement?

In the version we have, I would like to see better communication between the end device and the Exchange server.

We have been using Microsoft Exchange for the last 15 years.

We use Exchange on a daily basis and most of the time, it is stable.

Exchange is very easy to scale and we have approximately 1,000 users.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Microsoft Exchange for the last 15 years.

We use Exchange on a daily basis and most of the time, it is stable.

Exchange is very easy to scale and we have approximately 1,000 users.

If we have an issue where a support ticket is escalated to level three then we will contact the vendor. The technical support is good and we haven't had any issues.

I have not personally worked with other similar solutions.

The initial setup is very simple.

We are a partner and deploy this product on our own. There is four or five staff who are system administrators.

We provide level one and level two technical support for our customers.

With respect to pricing, this product is somewhere in the middle. Everything is included in the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product but our version is reaching end-of-life. I would recommend using the most recent version of Exchange.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

BrianSvendsen
Controls Engineer at C-Tech Controls
Easy to set up but doesn't work very well on a virtual machine

What is our primary use case?

We use it just for email.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

It doesn't work very well on a virtual machine. We had to move it around. There are also issues when you try to move it between computers.

I have been using Microsoft Exchange for around ten years.

Its stability is not so great. We can't move mailboxes because of a corrupt file or random issues, which causes headaches.

We didn't have any need to scale it. We have got the same number of people in our company. We have 20 users at the moment. They are accountants and engineers at the job sites.

How

What is our primary use case?

We use it just for email.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Microsoft Exchange for around ten years.

We don't really use them. We use a local IT company for any major issue.

We've had the same solution for a long time.

The setup program is straightforward, but there are hiccups when you try to move it between computers. You come across different issues.

Its price is okay.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft Exchange a seven out of ten.

Ashraf Attia
Sr. Microsoft Engineer at nournet
A user-friendly email and calendaring server with lots of features

• "It's an excellent product from Microsoft. It provides more flexibility to the end-users. As it's connected with Teams, it also enables collaboration."
  • "From a security perspective, Microsft Exchange can be improved. All that needs to be added is security, but that's an internal hierarchical problem from the product itself and not the end-users."

What is our primary use case?

We use Exchange for email services and collaboration services.

What is most valuable?

It's an excellent product from Microsoft. It provides more flexibility to the end-users. As it's connected with Teams, it also enables collaboration. You can share documents through emails and more. There are lots of features, and it's very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

From a security perspective, Microsft Exchange can be improved. All that needs to be added is security, but that's an internal hierarchical problem from the product itself and not the end-users.

I have been using Microsoft Exchange for about ten years.

There are some limitations when it comes to scalability, but Microsoft always continues to improve it. Now I'm serving more than 2,000 users, and I think my company serves about 10,000 users.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup is straightforward for the small use cases. Each case is different, but for the most part, it's almost straightforward.

Microsoft doesn't have a unit price, it's based on the quantity, and they offer great discounts.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise potential users to go with Exchange. Exchange Online is also very similar to Office 365.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Exchange a nine.

JN
Vice President at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
User-friendly and scales with our organization, but they need better anti-spam functionality

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft Exchange for our email. It is hosted with Zimbra and we use Exchange to interact with it.

What is most valuable?

The interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

There is a lot of spam email that comes in, so they should add functionality to help fix this problem. Better integration with other service providers would be helpful.

I joined the company two months ago and I have been using Microsoft Exchange since then. The company has been using it for much longer.

This is a stable product. With our IT putting a firewall in place, it is robust.

My impression is that…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Better integration with other service providers would be helpful.

My impression is that it's scalable. We have approximately 1,000 users.

I have not has a reason to contact Microsoft for support.

When I joined the company, my laptop was pre-configured, so everything was already done.

Our in-house IT team is responsible for deployment and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

In general, this is a good product and I am happy with it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.