Microsoft Exchange OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Exchange is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Email Applications. It is most often compared to Zimbra Collaboration: Microsoft Exchange vs Zimbra Collaboration

What is Microsoft Exchange?
Built to deliver the enterprise-grade security and reliability that businesses require, Microsoft Exchange provides email, calendar and contacts on your PC, phone and web browser.

Microsoft Exchange is also known as Exchange, MS Exchange.

Microsoft Exchange Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Exchange Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Microsoft Exchange Customers
Paderborn-Lippstadt Airport, Scitec Nutrition, British Airways, InnoGames, Osteology Foundation, Franz Haniel & Cie. GmbH, NTC Contracting
Microsoft Exchange Video

Archived Microsoft Exchange Reviews (more than two years old)

AT
Technology, Infrastructure, Riset & Development Staff with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is a product that is simple to manage, and easy to use.

What is our primary use case?

This solution helps us collaborate with other members of the organization.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us with basic needs such as email. It is also extremely helpful for us to collaborate with other Microsoft products such as: Office and Active Directory.

What needs improvement?

I think that improvements should be made in creating greater abilities for Microsoft Exchange in terms of Reasearch and Development.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

It is a product that is simple to manage, and easy to use.

What is our primary use case?

This solution helps us collaborate with other members of the organization.

More than five years.

What other advice do I have?

It is a product that is simple to manage, and easy to use.

Fazal Ur Rehman Shah
Senior Consultant/Project Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The access by any user with mobile or laptop is a huge selling point.

• "It is easy to use and we can allow many users because now our users are scattered They over a wide area. We can use it from anywhere. That is the main benefit for us."
  • "In terms of probability, every now and then there are changes coming and going. The changes are not that frequent because every month they got updates back, so that is an issue."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is sending and responding to email.

How has it helped my organization?

Our primary use is protection of email. Email is the primary mode of communication. With Exchange, the user can access it anywhere on mobile or laptop. It becomes easy for them to communicate with their vendors and consumers. So that is why we chose Exchange.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and we can allow many users because now our users are scattered  They over a wide area. We can use it from anywhere. That is the main benefit for us.

Three to five years.

We always have a higher variability configuration ready and we've got two mailbox servers, so even if one goes down, we can use it, we can still access our mail. As far as variability in internet we've never had any major issues.

We have not had scalability concerns. We had already planned for scalability and everything, and when we started we were only ten user accounts but we got thousand users so we planned for a thousand users so we never had any issue. We still have room for expansion so it's not an issue for us.

We previously used Google gmail. But,we have a lot of expertise with Exchange. And the thing with Google, or any dormant solution, is that we are a semi-dormant algorithm and we can't have our data out on the cloud.

It was a straightforward implementation. We just had five or six servers off Exchange and never had any issues. It was a very straightforward thing for us, we just made sure that we found it well and we went by the phases and a small issues moving from the old version of Exchange to the new version of Exchange, but it was small DNA. No major issues along the way.

What other advice do I have?

VNA redundancy has grown in the data, VNA data variability has grown, even in case VNA found the server goes down, and users can still access their email. So basically everything is good. The feature VNA almost as good as having your own Outlook, although it's better VNA.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Exchange. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KH
Systems Developer with 1-10 employees
It integrates well with calendar and scheduling, it's easy for employees to plan agendas

• "It integrates well with calendar, scheduling, etc. It's easy for employees to make meetings and plan their agendas."
  • "Deployment should become a bit easier, the process is a bit complicated. You have to have done it one or two times before you get it right. The first time you do it, it won't be perfect. There are a lot of complications compared to Gmail For Business, which is a bit easier when it comes to configuration."

How has it helped my organization?

It helps because it's easier for the employees to exchange emails. Instead of their using their personal emails, at least now they are using the company email.

What is most valuable?

One thing I like about it is the support. Microsoft is very good at providing support. I also like that it integrates well with calendar, scheduling, etc. It's easy for employees to make meetings and plan their agendas.

What needs improvement?

It requires a lot of maintenance. I think the cloud solution would be better and easier to manage as well.

Deployment should become a bit easier, the process is a bit complicated. You have to have done it one or two times before you get it right. The first time you do it, it won't be perfect. There are a lot of complications compared to Gmail For Business, which is a bit easier when it comes to configuration.

It is very stable. But at certain times you find that fixes and patches which they release can mess things up. But so far, I haven't come across any major issue.

The support is there with the number of people using it. It's very easy to get solutions when you're stuck. Somewhere, someone is going through the same problems. They're willing to help you with the solution.

At the time I joined the organization, they didn't have an email solution in-house. Employees were using their personal emails. Some of were using Yahoo!, some were using Gmail. If someone left the company, they would take with them the emails they had received from clients. We needed an in-house email solution like Exchange so that if someone leaves we are able to keep the emails.

To me, the most important criteria when selecting a vendor are maintenance and support. Features also matter. Then I look at the pricing. Is it too costly, is the organization going to be able to afford it? So cost plays a major role. When I go to the Director and say I want to buy this solution, the main thing he will look at is the pricing. He will ask, "Why are you getting these features, it's very expensive. Why aren't you going with this other option, it's cheaper?" But again, if the support is great and the pricing is a bit higher it's worth it.

The installation was simple and straightforward. We didn't have any hiccups. It went fine.

They are flexible when it comes to pricing, unlike most of the other vendors I have dealt with.

What other advice do I have?

If you don't really mind the cost then go for Microsoft. You can never go wrong with them, their solutions are very good. They're stable. They're all tested, so when you start you know it has already been tested. There are many people using it, it's comfortable, it's stable. You won't have any hiccups. I would recommend it.

One thing I've been doing is, before I deploy it to a production environment, I always create a "lab" where I try it out and make sure everything is working properly.

Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
We have customized the tool for our company, utilizing it for managing meetings and conference rooms. Tech support is just average for it.

What is most valuable?

EWS support, through which I have customized, e.g., response for my device to display meeting info on device.

How has it helped my organization?

Using EWS support, we have created a custom UI to display meeting info on our local portal to utilize and manage meeting and conference rooms effectively.

What needs improvement?

It is overall all good, though technical support is just average.

Two and a half years. Currently, I am not working in the specific project. so I am not using it, but the company is using it.

Just average.

Which solution

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

It is overall all good, though technical support is just average.

Just average.

Previously used Lotus Domino and moved to this box of support. We switched because of the help that we easily get from it.

Not applicable.

Not put on the team managing this.

it_user397617
Manager of Infrastructure at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The Exchange Toolbox comes with many useful tools for exchange administrators including Message Tracking, Tracking Log Explorer, and many more.

Valuable Features:

The mobile version of exchange keeps getting better as the product develops and synchronizes with today's latest mobile hardware. Security wise this gives local administrators control over these devices if stolen or lost.

The Exchange Toolbox comes with many useful tools for exchange administrators including Message Tracking, Tracking Log Explorer, and many more. Exchange really shines by allowing third party apps to manage and integrate with many software's geared towards the Outlook environment.

Exchange is an ever growing environment that will always have stronghold in the world of communicating and organizing information that is reliable.

Improvements to My Organization:

I would have to say the biggest improvement is communication. Communication is a big factor in any business. Email allows us to have history on communication and real time communications. Shared calendars are a great way to reserve rooms and share your meetings with team members. Distribution groups are becoming more popular for group communication. Outlook/Exchange creates a very open environment for communications and archiving information when needed. Exchange is a ever growing application that will only get better over time and will evolve and adapt to our everyday communications needs now and in the future.

Room for Improvement:

The issue with Exchange has always been storage. Users by nature do not like to delete anything and it shows. So we have to create local polices to counter this issue and possibly 3rd party software to properly manage archiving for the users. We also are looking into upgrading the Exchange environment in 2016/2017. This would be an improvement overall as Microsoft latest release was in 2013 and we are still on version 2010. This would also give our environment improvement as we are building a new Exchange environment from scratch with a Microsoft partner.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues deploying it.

Stability Issues:

We've had no issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.

Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Exchange 2010: Feature Rich Product Pro High Availability: DAG provides high...
Exchange 2010: Feature Rich Product Pros High Availability: DAG provides high availability within same datacenter as well as across datacenters. Reduced IOPS requirement: With 70% reduction in IOPS requirement, it gives an option to go for less expensive storage solutions. Cons Customers upgrading from exchange 2003 need to invest more since it is supported only on x64 hardware. Little bit complex to design. Specifically larger environments. Exchange 2010 will be preffered solution for customers with large number of mailboxes due to its robust design and high availability features

Exchange 2010: Feature Rich Product

Pros
High Availability:
Reduced IOPS requirement:

Cons
Little bit complex to design. Specifically larger environments.