Microsoft Identity Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Identity Manager is #9 ranked solution in top Identity Management (IM) tools. IT Central Station users give Microsoft Identity Manager an average rating of 8 out of 10. Microsoft Identity Manager is most commonly compared to SailPoint IdentityIQ:Microsoft Identity Manager vs SailPoint IdentityIQ. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 25% of all views.
What is Microsoft Identity Manager?

Microsoft Identity Manager (MIM) builds on the identity and access management capabilities of Forefront Identity Manager. MIM helps you manage the users, credentials, policies, and access within your organization. Additionally, MIM adds a hybrid experience, privileged access management capabilities, and support for new platforms.

Microsoft Identity Manager is also known as MIM, Forefront Identity Manager, FIM, MS Identity Manager.

Download the Identity Management (IM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Microsoft Identity Manager Customers

Dow Chemical Company (Dow), Whole Foods Market

Microsoft Identity Manager Video

Microsoft Identity Manager Reviews

LR
Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Any action requires logging into the server which creates delays; powerful synchronization tool

• "Very powerful synchronization tool."
  • "All actions require logging in to the server."

What is our primary use case?

We use the synchronization service the company provides for data synchronization. We're customers of Microsoft and I'm the company manager.

What is most valuable?

The synchronization tool is very powerful and when compared to other vendors the license fees are great - it comes free with the Windows Server license. It's a great product and works like a framework with very good flexibility. the SQL Server connections can be like SSL and I find that very useful.

What needs improvement?

We always need to log into the servers to do anything which means that the product is not very user friendly because we can't invoke it. You can't open it from your laptop, for example. If someone needs to carry out a joining or some other functionality which doesn't require them to be an admin but just a regular user doing something else, they need to log in to the server and we need to provide privileges for that.

The other issue is the SQL Server. The solution is tightly tied to the SQL Server, which means it does not have any compatibility with the AWS RDS and it doesn't support the SQL Server RDS version. It also means there is a very high dependency on the SQL and for that reason instead of RDS we need to set up our own SQL Server on EC2 and I think that is something which they need to change. There's no compatability for Azure to manage the SQL Servers. It doesn't need to be vendor specific, but it should be able to support whichever database is provided by the vendor.

I'd like to see more connectivity in the synchronization. What they currently have should be expanded. You should be able to connect to Azure AD Connect and get more cloud support.
And again, the program should be able to connect to any of the cloud SQL.

I've been using this solution since 2008.

The Identity Manager portal has a lot of issues with SharePoint and we need to buy a SharePoint license too. If the company is not at all into Microsoft it's very difficult. Getting version upgrades is very difficult for the portal. We use automated scripts for maintenance.

In terms of scalability, they don't have a proper roadmap. It's one of the disadvantages of the solution and one of the reasons we're looking for an alternative. The license we have is user-based. Everything is automatic. We don't need to go or do anything it's like automatically synchronized.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. It took us about a month. Our internal team was responsible for the implementation ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a five out of 10.

Private Cloud

Other
MT
Sr. Solution Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
A scalable solution that is easy to set up and offers conditional access

• "The most valuable and most interesting feature is the conditional access."
  • "The information that is available for the Active Directory portal is segregated here and there."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for the single migration of the user from on-premises to Azure Active Directory in the cloud. It is also used for the Microsoft authentication application for mobile devices.

We authenticate on the smart device back to back so they can access their emails and other applications.

We are planning to use this for the Windows 10 authentication as well as directly from the Azure Active Directory.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable and most interesting feature is the conditional access.

It can provide a low formulation combination based on the extra files that we can work on to verify the solution.

What needs improvement?

The information that is available for the Active Directory portal is segregated here and there. It's not in one single location where you can see, for example, all of the security features and maybe the customization feature.

In the next release of this solution, I would like to see the manageability, the web-based access to the portal, and the reconfiguration of things to be made simpler and more straightforward.

We have been selling this solution for the last five years.

It's stable, but it's maybe a bit more challenging than I have seen in the last five years.

This solution is scalable. We have plans to increase our usage in the future.

The number of users varies. There can be anywhere from 10,000 to maybe more than 100,000 users, who are made up of IT, administrators, managers, and architects.

We have been in touch with technical support. They are good. Normally they are available to assist and they are knowledgable.

Our previous system was based on an on-premises solution. Now, the on-premises products are integrated with the cloud, which is what made the difference.

The initial setup is straightforward and can be deployed in one week.

It was installed by my internal team.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that it's the best solution on the market and I would go ahead with it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, SailPoint, SAP and others in Identity Management (IM). Updated: November 2021.
552,407 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Kemp Zhou
Senior Consultant at Golden Ideas
Scalable and stable but could be more intuitive

• "It is a stable product. You will experience some issues with it, but it's a good product."
  • "The product could be more friendly for non-native English speakers. It would also be better if it were more intuitive and visually attractive."

What is our primary use case?

I have an ongoing project with my clients that encompasses research.

Hypbrid cloud is the major case, also some on Mobile Application developing.

How has it helped my organization?

Customer point of view, MIM work as / or together with SSO to extend the authentication, empowers orgnization agility by adopting new apps faster

What is most valuable?

Identity
Security
Access Managment is the three I can think of. why? they transpass the hybrid barrier, and it's from Microsoft, fits in M365 applicaiton well

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Identity Manager was designed for the on-premise environment. If you want to implement a cloud-based application, so you will run into some problems, including the transport of the token from the applicant, the application side, the mobile application side through the firewall, and the transfer to the backend for authentication. That part is not quite convenient. It is very slow.

I have been using this solution for a few years.

It is a stable product. You will experience some issues with it, but it's a good product. Identity is a complex thing, multifactor authentication is yet another, what add on this complexity is the wild Internet, if you focus enough,MIM or AAD will be you best choice.

Microsoft Identity Manager is a scalable product. It allows for multiple users that can work together.

Hybrid Cloud

Product Categories
Identity Management (IM)
Download our free Identity Management (IM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, SailPoint, SAP, and more!