Microsoft Identity Manager Overview

Microsoft Identity Manager is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Identity Management (IM) tools. It is most often compared to SailPoint IdentityIQ: Microsoft Identity Manager vs SailPoint IdentityIQ

What is Microsoft Identity Manager?

Microsoft Identity Manager (MIM) builds on the identity and access management capabilities of Forefront Identity Manager. MIM helps you manage the users, credentials, policies, and access within your organization. Additionally, MIM adds a hybrid experience, privileged access management capabilities, and support for new platforms.

Microsoft Identity Manager is also known as MIM, Forefront Identity Manager, FIM, MS Identity Manager, MS Identity Manager, MS Identity Manager.

Download the Identity Management (IM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Microsoft Identity Manager Customers

Dow Chemical Company (Dow), Whole Foods Market

Microsoft Identity Manager Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Secure on-premise and cloud-based workloads provide seamless authentication

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using a hybrid identity access management solution. We've got an on-premise ADFS that is running a Server 2016 ADFS farm. That is coupled to a Microsoft Identity Management Server 2016, which is then coupled to Azure Active Directory as the cloud-based identity and access management solution.

• "The feature that I find most valuable is the security layer of the identity and access management solution. The ability to secure on-premises and cloud-based workloads and to provide seamless authentication into hybrid workloads, which is also both on-premises and in cloud environments."
  • "In terms of the identity and access management solution for on-premises environment, I think Microsoft needs to eliminate or minimize the number of workloads for the solution to run in on-premises environment."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone implementing this solution would be to implement the on-premise identity and access management solution if they've got more than 1,000 identities on-premise. I strongly recommend implementing an on-premise environment in that case, or if they are a financial institution, such as a bank or underwriting institution. They also should implement the hybrid deployment, which means there would be an integration of the identity management solution sitting on-premises and a combination of the Azure Active Directory as an identity and access management in the cloud-based…
SA
CTO at a music company with 10,001+ employees
Protects our company documents and integrates with our SharePoint Global Portal

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to secure the identity of our customer. It is required for compliance and for making our systems very secure.

• "The most valuable feature is that it provides protection for our company documents."
  • "This product was only launched two or three years ago and it is still in the process of becoming stable."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to a colleague at another company. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, SailPoint, SAP and others in Identity Management (IM). Updated: June 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Vice President, IT Infrastructure & Information Security at KAMCO
An all-encompassing solution that is stable and continuously improving

What is our primary use case?

We work with Microsoft Active Directory, Azure Active Directory, and Microsoft Services as an identity and access management system. This solution provides privileged identity management single sign-on, so we're focusing on that.

• "The features that we find most valuable are security, mobility, and Single Sign-On."
  • "They have to improve the User Entity and Behavioral Analysis."

What other advice do I have?

I strongly recommend this solution. It encompasses the cloud, on-premises applications, mobility, and on-premises users. The modern enterprise encrypted license is one of the best solutions to go for because of the mobility and security for the workforce, as well as for the company. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Principal Security Advisory Consultant and Delivery Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Help users with different groups, closing different applications, access provision, and for de-provisioning access to different applications

What is our primary use case?

I use Microsoft Identity Manager to help users with different groups, closing different applications, access provision, and for de-provisioning access for different applications.

• "Microsoft integration products are strong. That is what I like about the product."
  • "Instead of using the connectors from the third-party companies, they should make the Microsoft templates available with this product. If Microsoft would increase the number of the box connectors that would be helpful to all the customers who use it daily."

What other advice do I have?

The out of the box connectors need to be increased. We can integrate with multiple applications to connect together through using Microsoft Identity Manager. I would grade Microsoft Identity Manager at 7 or 8 out of 10. I wouldn't give it a ten because of the lack of out of box connectors. I don't see any other drawback in the product.
Product Categories
Identity Management (IM)
Download our free Identity Management (IM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, SailPoint, SAP, and more!