PG
Information Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Is easy to manage and easy to configure

• "It's easy to manage and easy to configure."
  • "China blocks Google and Google Play Store, which makes installation challenging. Microsoft Intune is a company software, which has to be installed to the app portal or Microsoft Software Center."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for mobile device management. Android devices, iOS devices, Windows devices, computers, and so on are managed with the help of Microsoft Intune.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to manage and easy to configure.

We use it to completely manage the devices and access policies. We have app protection policies as well. So when it comes to any person who is outside my current organization, he won't be able to access anything if he's not authenticated. That's a really great feature because data security or data privacy will still be there.

What needs improvement?

I see room for improvement with respect to China and Android devices. If we get Intune for China for the Android devices, it would really be a win-win situation. The devices we are using to manage devices in China are partial MDM and not complete MDM.

China blocks Google and Google Play Store, which makes installation challenging. Microsoft Intune is a company software, which has to be installed to the app portal or Microsoft Software Center.

With barcoded scanners, it works really well in countries where Google is not blocked, but again, it's a challenge when we have to install Microsoft Intune where Google is blocked.

I've been working with Microsoft Intune for roughly three years.

It's deployed on the cloud itself, and we have 10,000 plus users.

Technical support is not great. If you open up a case, it may remain there for a long time. I believe that they may have a lot of customers and that's why we don't get the response immediately. Also, with these difficult times with COVID-19, they may be facing other challenges.

We used AirWatch and switched because we were facing a lot of issues with the product. Some things were really great, but some things were not.

Maintenance took a lot of time because it was on-premises. Every month, we had to do upgrades and patching of all the servers.

Too much information was provided regarding the initial setup, and it was too difficult to understand sometimes. You would have to read each and every article and try to understand exactly where and what you need to deploy. That's a bit challenging, but if you have seen the videos or attended Microsoft's training, then it's easier.

I attended the training and was able to configure and understand really well. However, if you give it to a layman, then it would really be a challenge.

Hardly any maintenance is required, so a few people will be able to handle the occasional issues and iOS upgrades.

Pricing depends on the features. Microsoft offers special packages if there are more than 10,000 users, and you may be able to get a reduced rate.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft Intune is a great product, and you should use it. You can do wonders with this particular product. So, on a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at eight.

Michael  Luebbert
Intune/Desktop Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Integrates with various devices and has a fantastic Autopilot feature, but doesn't handle software updates well by itself and should have a seamless remote desktop capability

• "The Autopilot feature is fantastic. It is a Microsoft product, so it deals best with Microsoft operating systems, but it can integrate with iOS, Mac OS, Linux, and Android."
  • "It just doesn't handle software updates well at all by itself. You need to be a scripting wizard to make those happen properly, or you use third-party tools. The Windows feature updates are very difficult to implement. I would like to see a proprietary built-in remote control tool. I know that they have Team Viewer integrated, but it is not seamless. It would be nice if they had a seamless remote desktop capability directly from the Intune console."

What is our primary use case?

It is mainly used as an endpoint management tool for MDM. We are using it for Windows devices, iPads, and Macintosh devices.

We have its latest version. It is mostly cloud-based or SAS only, and we have a couple of clients that use hybrid.

What is most valuable?

The Autopilot feature is fantastic. It is a Microsoft product, so it deals best with Microsoft operating systems, but it can integrate with iOS, Mac OS, Linux, and Android.

What needs improvement?

It just doesn't handle software updates well at all by itself. You need to be a scripting wizard to make those happen properly, or you use third-party tools. The Windows feature updates are very difficult to implement.

I have been using this solution for four years.

Outside of a couple of little hiccups, it is very stable.

It is scalable.

Overall, they're pretty decent. Their response time is sometimes a little slow, but they do get back to you and offer assistance.

I have used Workspace ONE. Workspace ONE works really well for iPads and Androids. I haven't used it recently for Windows. They had just started to sort of delve into that arena, but I can't really say how well it works because I haven't really tried it on Windows 10. Workspace ONE is far superior when it comes to iOS and Android OS. If I remember correctly, they're comparable in price.

It is straightforward for somebody who has got experience. It is certainly not something that somebody who came off the street can do easily. There is a lot of documentation, but the documentation varies widely, and it can be difficult to set up. Microsoft does offer some good support and assistance with it. If you have a user base of 300 devices or more, they'll actually walk you through the entire setup and assist you.

Currently, I am solely providing support for eight different clients who probably have over a thousand devices in total. So, the maintenance isn't difficult.

Most of our clients come to us with licensing already in place. On average, it costs $6 per device per month to add Intune to an Office 365 subscription, but I am not sure.

What other advice do I have?

If your clients have Office 365, and they're not using Intune, they should be.

I would rate Microsoft Intune a six out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Intune. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Majid-Ali
Director Infrastructure Services at Innolytix Pakistan Pvt Ltd
Feature-Rich, reasonably priced, and simple to install

• "For the price, the features included with Microsoft are appealing."
  • "Microsoft Intune lacks the ability to provide seamless remote assistance or remote control."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator who provides services to a variety of customers. I have provided this solution for a couple of my customers.

Microsoft Intune is primarily used to apply compliance requirements, install updates, and prevent users from sharing data because it is, part of the EMS, not just Intune.

What is most valuable?

For the price, the features included with Microsoft are appealing.

What needs improvement?

That is subjective because I haven't used anything other than Intune for MDM and MAM. We were fairly satisfied, I would say, but there are always a few things that our customers mention, such as this was simple.

Compatibility is another point raised by the customer. Microsoft is always a little behind when it comes to compatibility.  For example, Microsoft does not support Linux. or, any other platforms offered by other vendors.

The remote screen support and remote assistance were two features that we greatly missed in Intune. According to our customers who use Workspace ONE, it is available. For example, you can get remote assistance for an iPhone, which is somewhat reliant on a third-party solution, for Microsoft. We were not able to do that for testing purposes, we faced some challenges. We had to purchase an additional subscription from Teams Viewer.

I have been familiar with Microsoft Intune for approximately three to four years.

Getting assistance from Microsoft is a difficult task, as we have noticed over the last few years that service is deteriorating.

It's deteriorating in the sense that you don't get the proper resource the first time you call, message, or email. You should wait or inquire first. Normally, the person you are aligned with is usually someone who works on the front lines. On occasion, we may ask the support team to connect us with the appropriate individual or escalate the ticket.

This is my personal experience with Microsoft. I can't compare it to anything else.

Based on my conversation with my customer, they say that VMware Workspace ONE is easier to install.

While I have not tried to install VMware Workspace ONE myself, I don't find Microsoft Intune to be difficult to install.

No one can compete with Microsoft when it comes to price, and the features it is offering.

They bundle different things with EMS.

EMS, which is a suite that includes Intune, along with some other products is still extremely competitive with other competitors.

At the moment, I'm comparing it to VMware Workspace ONE.

I was comparing Microsoft Intune to VMware Workspace ONE, or EMS as it is more commonly known.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft Intune an eight out of ten, but when you add in the rest of the products, such as AIP and Azure Premium, I would say nine.

JL
Senior Partner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Is integrated with the rest of the Microsoft products but needs to replace SCCM

• "I like the fact that it's integrated with the rest of the Microsoft products, so customers can manage it from their Office 365 portal or Azure portal."
  • "They could also make it easier to use because there are some other products that may be easier to use in terms of the look and feel of the dashboard."

What is our primary use case?

Generally, we use it with banking, finance, or government entities, usually medium to large customers. We also have smaller customers who are dealing with sensitive private data and therefore are interested in running Intune on top of their Office 365 licensing.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that it's integrated with the rest of the Microsoft products, so customers can manage it from their Office 365 portal or Azure portal.

What needs improvement?

If you could replace SCCM completely with Intune, that would be fantastic so that you don't have to run SCCM with Intune as an extension.

They could also make it easier to use because there are some other products that may be easier to use in terms of the look and feel of the dashboard.

The stability is quite mature here in Australia.

The scalability is quite good.

The technical support is really good. First level support is just your normal desktop level, but the second or third level is much deeper. It's pretty good

Usually, if I log a call in the morning, I may get a call in the afternoon to sort it out through screen share. Sometimes, it's someone in Shanghai that takes the call, and I speak Chinese, and they speak Chinese, so I'm pretty happy with that.

If the customer is already operating on a cloud environment, then it's easy, but if a customer has a hybrid environment, then it can be complex.

If they've got people who are now working home that previously used to work in the office and they still want them to use their work laptops at home, it gets complex. You would need to start looking at registering the devices into Azure AD, which then leads to Azure AD premiums. Therefore, you would need to find out from Microsoft whether to add the device into Azure AD, to register it, that you would also need MDM or an Intune license added on top.

If you're ever going to buy an Office 365 environment, then pricing is reasonable given all that it does, but if you're not, then you might find the pricing expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that they check it out thoroughly because things are moving very quickly with Microsoft, and we get better support now, given Australia's a hero country of Microsoft.

A lot of companies are switching to hybrid environments because of COVID, and Microsoft Intune can be deployed in a hybrid environment.

However, because Microsoft Intune doesn't totally replace SCCM, I would rate it at seven on a scale from one to ten.

Emanuele Marangione
Transition Project Manager at DXC
Easy initial setup with good configuration capabilities and an intuitive interface

• "Technical support, in general, has been quite helpful."
  • "The feature that allows us to import the business application from the configuration manager to Intune is not very good at this time."

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be primarily used for mobile management. We're using the solution to enroll Windows 10 devices.

What is most valuable?

The policies on the solution are very good.

The process of enrolling devices is a useful aspect for us.

The features that allow us to control the devices are helpful.

The initial setup is not hard at all.

Technical support, in general, has been quite helpful.

We've found the configuration capabilities to be quite good.

So far, the solution is fast and has an intuitive interface.

What needs improvement?

The feature that allows us to import the business application from the configuration manager to Intune is not very good at this time. They should be getting better in the application input on that platforms. It's an aspect that could use some improvement.

Other than that, I can't recall the solution lacking any features. Overall, we've been happy with the offering.

I've used the solution in the last 12 months. We've been using it for one year, more or less. It hasn't been a very long time just yet.

The stability of the product is quite good. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is reliable.

We do plan to increase the use of the solution over the coming year. Our intention is to scale a bit. We don't plan on switching products anytime soon.

I've dealt with technical support in the past, and I'm quite satisfied with them. They are knowledgeable and responsive. I have no complaints.

We did not previously use a different solution. We've only ever used Microsoft Intune for these current use cases.

We found the initial setup to be quite easy and straightforward. It's not complex. If a company wants to set it up themselves, they shouldn't have an issue doing so.

The deployment didn't take very long. It was a pretty quick process overall.

I can't speak to any aspect of the pricing. It's not something I handle. I don't deal with licensing and therefore don't know if it is expensive or reasonably priced.

What other advice do I have?

I've been testing the solution. I'm a customer and an end-user. My company does not have a business relationship with Microsoft.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been happy with the capabilities overall.

MH
Enterprise Mobility Engineer at a outsourcing company with 11-50 employees
MSP
Lacking user-friendly, but has effective policy creation, and stable

• "The conditional access policies that we set up are very useful."
  • "Microsoft Intune could improve by being more user-friendly and having it geared toward device management. The graphic interface is not very good."

What is our primary use case?

We switched to Office 365 applications and we already had an Office 365 license that covers Microsoft Intune. We decided to use Intune for our Mobile Application Management solution.

I only use Microsoft Intune for Mobile Application Management for the management of Office 365 apps. Additionally, we have Microsoft Intune integrated with Workspace ONE.

How has it helped my organization?

We have used conditional access policies to prevent users from copying internal resources or internal data to external devices. This has helped protect our organizations from being compromised.

What is most valuable?

The conditional access policies that we set up are very useful.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Intune could improve by being more user-friendly and having it geared toward device management. The graphic interface is not very good.

The VPN option within Intune is not as intuitive as the one available in Workspace ONE. We're trying to implement a VPN tunnel for SharePoint sites. This will allow users trying to access internal resources, such as SharePoint, and other Office 365 data, but it doesn't work as well as Workspace ONE.

We are in the POC stage of the VPN tunnel. We only have a development tenant for the tunnel. We plan is to implement that in production and get rid of Workspace ONE, if it meets our needs.

I have used Microsoft Intune within the past 12 months.

The solution is stable.

I have found Microsoft Intune to be scalable.

We have over 5,500 users using this solution.

The technical support from Microsoft could improve, it is not as good as the Workspace ONE support. It is difficult to contact Microsoft support.

I have used Workspace ONE, and I would highly recommend it over Microsoft Intune.

The initial setup was complex, and the full deployment took us one year.

We did the deployment ourselves. There is little maintenance required, we have to only update policies. We have a mobility architect that set up most of the backend and we did work with a Microsoft resource for this process.

I have received a return on investment, the solution is inexpensive.

There is a license required to use this solution. However, it was part of a bundle package.

Microsoft Intune is far less expensive than other solutions, such as Workspace ONE.

What other advice do I have?

We are only using Microsoft Intune because it came with our Office 365 license.

I rate Microsoft Intune a five out of ten.

Sabarish Natarajan
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Very good technical support with great scalability and mobile acesss management

• "The mobile application management, MAM, is the most useful aspect of the solution."
  • "Reporting could be improved. It needs to be more expensive and robust."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily implement the solution for our customers. It's mainly used by our clients for device management.

How has it helped my organization?

The product helps organizations have a model or place to allow users to access the corporate resources from any device that the user wants and in a highly secured way. That way, the data can be managed by the organization, whether the device is managed or not.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is very straightforward.

The solution is quite stable.

The product scales very, very well.

We've found the technical support to be excellent.

What needs improvement?

The legacy system management could use some improvement.

Reporting could be improved. It needs to be more expensive and robust.

Technical support could be a bit quicker to respond.

We've used the solution for two years. It hasn't been an extremely long amount of time.

The product is stable. Microsoft, obviously, is a stable platform. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable in terms of performance.

The solution is highly scalable. A company can expand the solution if it would like to.

I'd rate the solution at a four out of five. It's mostly quite good. They are helpful and knowledgeable. However, The response times could improve. In general, we are mostly satisfied with the level of service provided to us.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It is easy. The implementation is straightforward.

The deployment process is pretty quick. It takes a couple of days, and not quite a week.

We can implement the solution for our clients.

Being a deployment or being a technical resource, I'm not that good in the pricing. It's not an aspect o the solution I directly deal with. I can't speak to the specific costs to a company.

What other advice do I have?

We are a global distributor for Microsoft. I am a consultant. I do deployment for my customers.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall.

I would advise new users and organizations that they should follow the industry standard practices of configuring the policies and they can always highly rely on Microsoft for other security products as well.

MM
Managing Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Transparently enforces compliance policies and works well, but the initial setup requires user intervention

• "The biggest thing for us is enforcing logins only from devices that are managed by Intune."
  • "Once it's configured it is unobtrusive, but it does take some hands-on to configure and deploy it properly."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting agency and we help people make technology and business decisions.

Our environment is fully online and we're a Microsoft 365 shop. We are using Intune for security. It is their MDM for mobile devices, but it is also their application ADM and it works on desktops as well.

We primarily use it to maintain compliance for our customers. They require that we use it to enforce compliance with the same level that they do internally, so we're following the compliance guidelines of several Fortune 100 companies. Intune is what we use to meet those requirements.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this product has completely stopped DLP, so people cannot take material off of corporate machines or corporate imagines, and that's a huge benefit.

What is most valuable?

We also use it for enforcing DLP and all of the other security policies that you need for compliance in order to do work for major corporations.

It integrates well with the Microsoft environment. Once it's deployed, it's set and forget.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Intune for a year.

Intune has been very stable.

We're a small company of fewer than 100 people and it scales well enough for us.

We are financial analysts and IT consultants.

I have not used the technical support personally, but it seems to be okay.

We used a third-party package before, and we moved to Intune because it was easier to integrate with Microsoft Windows or Microsoft 365. It also provides coverage for desktops.

The initial setup requires user participation. You can't push it without the client being engaged. That is part of the configuration.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this product works pretty well. Security products are the disgusting medicine that we don't like to take, but we have to take it to stay healthy.

This is a good product because it's transparent and works well, although it's unfortunate that we have to have it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Download our free Microsoft Intune Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.