Michael  Luebbert
Intune/Desktop Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Integrates with various devices and has a fantastic Autopilot feature, but doesn't handle software updates well by itself and should have a seamless remote desktop capability

• "The Autopilot feature is fantastic. It is a Microsoft product, so it deals best with Microsoft operating systems, but it can integrate with iOS, Mac OS, Linux, and Android."
  • "It just doesn't handle software updates well at all by itself. You need to be a scripting wizard to make those happen properly, or you use third-party tools. The Windows feature updates are very difficult to implement. I would like to see a proprietary built-in remote control tool. I know that they have Team Viewer integrated, but it is not seamless. It would be nice if they had a seamless remote desktop capability directly from the Intune console."

What is our primary use case?

It is mainly used as an endpoint management tool for MDM. We are using it for Windows devices, iPads, and Macintosh devices.

We have its latest version. It is mostly cloud-based or SAS only, and we have a couple of clients that use hybrid.

What is most valuable?

The Autopilot feature is fantastic. It is a Microsoft product, so it deals best with Microsoft operating systems, but it can integrate with iOS, Mac OS, Linux, and Android.

What needs improvement?

It just doesn't handle software updates well at all by itself. You need to be a scripting wizard to make those happen properly, or you use third-party tools. The Windows feature updates are very difficult to implement.

I have been using this solution for four years.

Outside of a couple of little hiccups, it is very stable.

It is scalable.

Overall, they're pretty decent. Their response time is sometimes a little slow, but they do get back to you and offer assistance.

I have used Workspace ONE. Workspace ONE works really well for iPads and Androids. I haven't used it recently for Windows. They had just started to sort of delve into that arena, but I can't really say how well it works because I haven't really tried it on Windows 10. Workspace ONE is far superior when it comes to iOS and Android OS. If I remember correctly, they're comparable in price.

It is straightforward for somebody who has got experience. It is certainly not something that somebody who came off the street can do easily. There is a lot of documentation, but the documentation varies widely, and it can be difficult to set up. Microsoft does offer some good support and assistance with it. If you have a user base of 300 devices or more, they'll actually walk you through the entire setup and assist you.

Currently, I am solely providing support for eight different clients who probably have over a thousand devices in total. So, the maintenance isn't difficult.

Most of our clients come to us with licensing already in place. On average, it costs $6 per device per month to add Intune to an Office 365 subscription, but I am not sure.

What other advice do I have?

If your clients have Office 365, and they're not using Intune, they should be.

I would rate Microsoft Intune a six out of ten.

JL
Senior Partner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Is integrated with the rest of the Microsoft products but needs to replace SCCM

• "I like the fact that it's integrated with the rest of the Microsoft products, so customers can manage it from their Office 365 portal or Azure portal."
  • "They could also make it easier to use because there are some other products that may be easier to use in terms of the look and feel of the dashboard."

What is our primary use case?

Generally, we use it with banking, finance, or government entities, usually medium to large customers. We also have smaller customers who are dealing with sensitive private data and therefore are interested in running Intune on top of their Office 365 licensing.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that it's integrated with the rest of the Microsoft products, so customers can manage it from their Office 365 portal or Azure portal.

What needs improvement?

If you could replace SCCM completely with Intune, that would be fantastic so that you don't have to run SCCM with Intune as an extension.

They could also make it easier to use because there are some other products that may be easier to use in terms of the look and feel of the dashboard.

The stability is quite mature here in Australia.

The scalability is quite good.

The technical support is really good. First level support is just your normal desktop level, but the second or third level is much deeper. It's pretty good

Usually, if I log a call in the morning, I may get a call in the afternoon to sort it out through screen share. Sometimes, it's someone in Shanghai that takes the call, and I speak Chinese, and they speak Chinese, so I'm pretty happy with that.

If the customer is already operating on a cloud environment, then it's easy, but if a customer has a hybrid environment, then it can be complex.

If they've got people who are now working home that previously used to work in the office and they still want them to use their work laptops at home, it gets complex. You would need to start looking at registering the devices into Azure AD, which then leads to Azure AD premiums. Therefore, you would need to find out from Microsoft whether to add the device into Azure AD, to register it, that you would also need MDM or an Intune license added on top.

If you're ever going to buy an Office 365 environment, then pricing is reasonable given all that it does, but if you're not, then you might find the pricing expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that they check it out thoroughly because things are moving very quickly with Microsoft, and we get better support now, given Australia's a hero country of Microsoft.

A lot of companies are switching to hybrid environments because of COVID, and Microsoft Intune can be deployed in a hybrid environment.

However, because Microsoft Intune doesn't totally replace SCCM, I would rate it at seven on a scale from one to ten.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Intune. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Emanuele Marangione
Transition Project Manager at DXC
Easy initial setup with good configuration capabilities and an intuitive interface

• "Technical support, in general, has been quite helpful."
  • "The feature that allows us to import the business application from the configuration manager to Intune is not very good at this time."

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be primarily used for mobile management. We're using the solution to enroll Windows 10 devices.

What is most valuable?

The policies on the solution are very good.

The process of enrolling devices is a useful aspect for us.

The features that allow us to control the devices are helpful.

The initial setup is not hard at all.

Technical support, in general, has been quite helpful.

We've found the configuration capabilities to be quite good.

So far, the solution is fast and has an intuitive interface.

What needs improvement?

The feature that allows us to import the business application from the configuration manager to Intune is not very good at this time. They should be getting better in the application input on that platforms. It's an aspect that could use some improvement.

Other than that, I can't recall the solution lacking any features. Overall, we've been happy with the offering.

I've used the solution in the last 12 months. We've been using it for one year, more or less. It hasn't been a very long time just yet.

The stability of the product is quite good. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is reliable.

We do plan to increase the use of the solution over the coming year. Our intention is to scale a bit. We don't plan on switching products anytime soon.

I've dealt with technical support in the past, and I'm quite satisfied with them. They are knowledgeable and responsive. I have no complaints.

We did not previously use a different solution. We've only ever used Microsoft Intune for these current use cases.

We found the initial setup to be quite easy and straightforward. It's not complex. If a company wants to set it up themselves, they shouldn't have an issue doing so.

The deployment didn't take very long. It was a pretty quick process overall.

I can't speak to any aspect of the pricing. It's not something I handle. I don't deal with licensing and therefore don't know if it is expensive or reasonably priced.

What other advice do I have?

I've been testing the solution. I'm a customer and an end-user. My company does not have a business relationship with Microsoft.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been happy with the capabilities overall.

MM
Managing Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Transparently enforces compliance policies and works well, but the initial setup requires user intervention

• "The biggest thing for us is enforcing logins only from devices that are managed by Intune."
  • "Once it's configured it is unobtrusive, but it does take some hands-on to configure and deploy it properly."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting agency and we help people make technology and business decisions.

Our environment is fully online and we're a Microsoft 365 shop. We are using Intune for security. It is their MDM for mobile devices, but it is also their application ADM and it works on desktops as well.

We primarily use it to maintain compliance for our customers. They require that we use it to enforce compliance with the same level that they do internally, so we're following the compliance guidelines of several Fortune 100 companies. Intune is what we use to meet those requirements.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this product has completely stopped DLP, so people cannot take material off of corporate machines or corporate imagines, and that's a huge benefit.

What is most valuable?

We also use it for enforcing DLP and all of the other security policies that you need for compliance in order to do work for major corporations.

It integrates well with the Microsoft environment. Once it's deployed, it's set and forget.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Intune for a year.

Intune has been very stable.

We're a small company of fewer than 100 people and it scales well enough for us.

We are financial analysts and IT consultants.

I have not used the technical support personally, but it seems to be okay.

We used a third-party package before, and we moved to Intune because it was easier to integrate with Microsoft Windows or Microsoft 365. It also provides coverage for desktops.

The initial setup requires user participation. You can't push it without the client being engaged. That is part of the configuration.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this product works pretty well. Security products are the disgusting medicine that we don't like to take, but we have to take it to stay healthy.

This is a good product because it's transparent and works well, although it's unfortunate that we have to have it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Sabarish Natarajan
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Very good technical support with great scalability and mobile acesss management

• "The mobile application management, MAM, is the most useful aspect of the solution."
  • "Reporting could be improved. It needs to be more expensive and robust."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily implement the solution for our customers. It's mainly used by our clients for device management.

How has it helped my organization?

The product helps organizations have a model or place to allow users to access the corporate resources from any device that the user wants and in a highly secured way. That way, the data can be managed by the organization, whether the device is managed or not.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is very straightforward.

The solution is quite stable.

The product scales very, very well.

We've found the technical support to be excellent.

What needs improvement?

The legacy system management could use some improvement.

Reporting could be improved. It needs to be more expensive and robust.

Technical support could be a bit quicker to respond.

We've used the solution for two years. It hasn't been an extremely long amount of time.

The product is stable. Microsoft, obviously, is a stable platform. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable in terms of performance.

The solution is highly scalable. A company can expand the solution if it would like to.

I'd rate the solution at a four out of five. It's mostly quite good. They are helpful and knowledgeable. However, The response times could improve. In general, we are mostly satisfied with the level of service provided to us.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It is easy. The implementation is straightforward.

The deployment process is pretty quick. It takes a couple of days, and not quite a week.

We can implement the solution for our clients.

Being a deployment or being a technical resource, I'm not that good in the pricing. It's not an aspect o the solution I directly deal with. I can't speak to the specific costs to a company.

What other advice do I have?

We are a global distributor for Microsoft. I am a consultant. I do deployment for my customers.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall.

I would advise new users and organizations that they should follow the industry standard practices of configuring the policies and they can always highly rely on Microsoft for other security products as well.

VO
Technical Lead-Infrastructure Operations at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Autopilot is a great bonus as is the real-time feature

• "Remote Wipe and Autopilot is one of the best features."
  • "Lacking ability to leverage more iOS device management internally."

What is our primary use case?

The use case for this solution varies depending on the user's requirement. Some are only interested in MDM, while others are interested in managing Windows plus Mac. It really depends. We are partners and provide on-prem, cloud and hybrid services to our customers. I'm tech lead infrastructure operations.

What is most valuable?

Lately I've been working on the Remote Wipe and Autopilot. Autopilot is one of the best features because we can use it during remote migration. It especially helps in this pandemic situation where we don't need any end-user computing engineer support. If someone wants to remix a machine, we can initiate it remotely.

What needs improvement?

An improvement would be if we were able to leverage more iOS device management internally. My goal is to manage all the tools in one centralized tool. Intune does 30 percent of Mac management, but if it could have complete management including patching and automating for Mac devices, that would be good.

I've been using this solution for three years.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

I have been trying to contact technical support but haven't been able to reach anyone. I have a couple of questions to which I haven't been able to get any answers.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The cost is fair but it would be helpful if they would segregate the licenses. There are a lot of features that many of our customers don't need but have to pay for because it comes as a bundle package and we're unable to exclude anything that is not necessary.

I also work with Jamf Pro but you can't compare the two because Jamf Pro doesn't have real-time features and it doesn't do most of the things that Intune does.

What other advice do I have?

If a customer is looking for a macOS solution, I would for sure recommend Jamf Pro. If it is for Windows and macOS in a combined environment, then I would recommend Intune for managing it. The consideration is based on the customer's macOS family, based on how many users they have. If they have 100 users, then we can still manage it through Intune. If it's a complex environment, for sure we'd need Jamf Pro.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

TS
Network Manager, Enterprise at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
MSP
Good for compliance and setting policies, but needs to be simplified

• "Compliance and the policies that can be set are the most valuable features."
  • "It should be simplified. I've worked with many different mobile device management solutions, and Intune is one of the more complex ones. It could be more simplified, and some of it is related to the wording that is being used, such as a configuration profile versus a policy. They really should have had different names to make it less confusing."

What is most valuable?

Compliance and the policies that can be set are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

It should be simplified. I've worked with many different mobile device management solutions, and Intune is one of the more complex ones. It could be more simplified, and some of it is related to the wording that is being used, such as a configuration profile versus a policy. They really should have had different names to make it less confusing.

I haven't really seen any negative on that yet.

Tech support is pretty decent for Microsoft. A colleague of mine had previously talked to them about Intune. As a partner, we also get counseling time with them. We get advisory services with them where we can speak back and forth with them on projects. We can ask them how would we implement it and what are the pros and cons. Sometimes, they came up with things that we weren't even thinking about or they confirmed what we were finding. I was on a call earlier this week, but it wasn't specific to Intune in this case. We found out something was not possible, and they confirmed it for us, which actually saved us hours of additional research. As far as I know, the advisory is only for partners.

What other advice do I have?

One of the pieces of advice is to become very familiar with the cloud environment. In general, always think in the big picture, not just in the isolated issue or item that you want to accomplish. That's because Intune or Azure, in general, is just so over-encompassing. You really have to think about the big picture and not just about the simple project that you're trying to focus on. Otherwise, it will come back to bite you if you didn't plan it right.

There are some MDMs out there that are simpler and easier, perhaps even better to use. It also depends on the application. It depends on if you've got all Windows devices, all Apple devices, or all Android devices. It also depends on if you have a combination. If you've got all Apple devices, there are a couple of products out there that are probably the best MDM, but they won't help you at all with Windows or Android because they're not designed for that. Intune is trying to be all-inclusive to everything. In some ways, that's an Achilles heel too.

I would rate Intune a seven out of 10.

ArturDrozd
Cloud & Security Technology at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Cost-effective and easy to use, but the configuration should be simplified

• "The most valuable feature for us is the security, including risk analysis and patch management."
  • "The configuration could be better by consolidating options and making it simpler."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Intune to manage both mobile devices and PC devices. I deploy applications and manage the security landscape.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the security, including risk analysis and patch management. The management is very important for us.

What needs improvement?

The configuration could be better by consolidating options and making it simpler. I would like to have one option in one place that corresponds to one feature, which I can check off and move onto the next one. As it is now, there are a lot of options. For example, when configuring security, I find that it is too much because you have to configure one task in one place, then switch and it is against in another place, and so forth.

In the future, I would like to see support for security and compliance management. I would also like to see iOS management options.

I have been using Microsoft Intune for five years.

This is a stable product.

Being a cloud-based solution, it is very easy to scale.

We have approximately 30,000 users.

I have contacted the Microsoft technical support lots of times. It is okay and I am satisfied with it.

We did not use a different solution for the same purpose before implementing Intune.

The initial setup was simple and it took us about two days to deploy it.

Intune only supports mobile devices in the cloud version. Because a number of my clients have both PCs and mobile devices, I deployed it in a hybrid model.

I am responsible for configuration and deployment, and sometimes maintenance. Our help desk also handles the maintenance.

The price of Intune is often included as part of a bundle with other Microsoft licenses, which makes it somewhat cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft Intune is cost-effective and easy to use, so I can recommend it. That said, it is not perfect, so I think that they can improve a lot of things.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Microsoft Intune Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.