Microsoft Intune OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Intune is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. It is most often compared to VMware Workspace ONE: Microsoft Intune vs VMware Workspace ONE

What is Microsoft Intune?

Intune is a cloud-based service in the enterprise mobility management (EMM) space that helps enable your workforce to be productive while keeping your corporate data protected. With Intune, you can:

• Manage the mobile devices your workforce uses to access company data.
  • Manage the mobile apps your workforce uses.
  • Protect your company information by helping to control the way your workforce accesses and shares it.
  • Ensure devices and apps are compliant with company security requirements.

Microsoft Intune is also known as Intune, MS Intune.

Microsoft Intune Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Intune Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Microsoft Intune Customers

Mitchells and Buzzers, Callaway

Microsoft Intune Video

Archived Microsoft Intune Reviews (more than two years old)

AS
Sr. Microsoft Solution Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It helps restrict certain access to mobile devices. But, it is Samsung knox centric.

• "It helps implement conditional access policies to restrict mobile users from accessing potentially dangerous emails."
  • "Intune should be much more granular in terms of supporting more Android cellular devices."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to implement conditional access policies to restrict mobile users from accessing emails until their devices comply.

How has it helped my organization?

Intune should be much more granular in terms of supporting more devices. It is mainly only supported for Samsung knox devices. If you want to restrict the user, and not to turn on the camera and such, most of the policies that I found were more supported only towards Samsung knox devices. But, some policies are supported for Android 4.0 operating systems. Most of these policies are only for Samsung knox. I wish there was more diversity regarding other Android devices. In our country, there are multiple vendors, such as: Samsung, Huawei and more. I would prefer other solutions if I'm implementing restricting the devices in terms of applying the policies.

What is most valuable?

It has many features, but the most prominent is that other mobile device solutions support more polices. Much more diversion is needed in implementing the policies in different kinds of devices. As I have worked, it has not supported too many policies for android devices. Every 3rd or 4th policy that was supported is for Samsung knox devices. So, most people prefer to use Intune if they want to implement conditional access policies to restrict customer exchange online or exchange user formats emails until their devices comply.

You can publish Apps on the devices and take inventory of the devices, but it's all about the companies who were interested due to implementing conditional access policies to restrict  users. They want to restrict the users in order to access emails until their device is secure and then comply with the security policies of the organization.

What needs improvement?

Most of the customers expect that most of the policies will be there for Android, to implement the policies. Unfortunately, most of the policies that I found are for Samsung knox devices, that is specific to a device or specific to a vendor. That's why most of the customers have a hard time with Intunes, because most of the policies they see is for Samsung knox. They want Intunes to support Android devices. If it is supported by other Android devices, then it's very complicated because if you want it implemented, you have to use some custom equipment. There are a very limited number of policies that are applied, and all generate other devices like Samsung knox devices.

Most of the customers in the business do not use Intune because it doesn't support that much policy for Android. Here in Pakistan, most of the end users are using Android devices. Windows is out of the question. They don't use Microsoft mobile phones. Most of the popular devices are iOS, and the ultimate users are Androids. I think 80% of the users are using Android devices here and less than 20% are using iOS devices.

So, the customer is expecting to apply policy on Android devices and it's not generated specific to a vendor like Samsung knox, so they don't buy it, and they don't consider it.

Yes, it is a stable solution. There were a few stability issues, but most of us are happy with the stability of the solution.

I do not think scalability is an issue.

It was not easy, but not too complex. If an engineer knows what he or she is doing, then it is not difficult.

The product is offered as part of a Microsoft standard bundle. The pricing can be competitive to VMware Airwatch, and IBM MaaS360.

We considered VMware Airwatch and IBM MaaS360

What other advice do I have?

From my experience if the requirement is to lock down the Android devices through Intune, then I should advise to look at the different policies that are available for Intune before doing the implementation. Because, if the policies do not meet the requirements of the organization to lock down the devices or to apply the policies on the devices, then it does not make any sense. So, for Android devices in particular, if you are implementing Intune then you should first look at the policies that are available in Intunes and then try to evaluate and do proof of concept.

Mohamed-Khaled
Senior IT Field Support Specialist at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
The aspects I find most valuable are the managing the data and applications.

• "The aspects I find most valuable are the managing the data and applications. I can also restrict the users to install any applications. I can also wipe the data if the phone was missplaced or stolen. These are the basics for me."
  • "I think there should be a better tracking of the cell phones used on the Intune."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is for MDM. We use it to manage our devices and phones. We want to make sure that data is not stolen from the devices of our staff. Staff members often bring their own devices to work, and we need to manage that.

What is most valuable?

The aspects I find most valuable are the managing the data and applications. I can also restrict the users to install any applications. I can also wipe the data if the phone was misplaced or stolen. These are the basics for me.

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to track the phone. I am not sure this is a feature that is readily available.

I find that this is a stable product and it is convenient for our business.

I have no issues with scalability because I have already used it for our organization and we have it for around 40 phones, and it seems to be suitable for our needs.

Until now, I have not really used the technical support.

I have previous experience with VMware Airwatch. But, I find that the integration is better with Microsoft Intune because we are already using Azure as a domain. It is a much easier integration with the Microsoft products.

I have no comment on pricing of the solution.

We have previous experience with VMware Airwatch.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise other colleagues to use Microsoft Intune.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Intune. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
NB
Senior Technical Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have a BYOD policy at our company, and this solution helps us manage devices. It needs help with reporting.

• "It is a very helpful solution."
  • "We have a BYOD policy, and this solution helps us manage our devices."
  • "I think that there is room for improvement with the reporting. If this is done, it will be a better product."

What is our primary use case?

We have several different use cases. We have a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) policy for corporate owned devices, and managing those devices is our responsibility.

What is most valuable?

It is a very helpful and easy solution. When deploying different configuration policies and compliance policies it is helpful. In addition, deployment of applications on devices is a valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

I have not encountered any issues with stability of this product.

It is quite scalable. It is quite easily able to extend the capabilities of whatever you want to do. And, it is not always visible to the end customer.

I have used technical support in the past. When considering the seniority level of the tech support, I think they are quite good in comparison to other products. They are quick to respond to our needs.

We previously used VMware Airwatch.

The purchase of the product was handled by someone else in our company. I do not have experience with pricing of the product.

What other advice do I have?

We received Intune with a bundle of Microsoft products.

AN
User at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
We use this primarily for security on our devices. It is cost effective.

• "It is a helpful tool to manage BYOD policies."
  • "There are a few security features that are not available in Microsoft Intune, when compared to other products."

What is our primary use case?

We use this primarily for security on our devices. We use this product because it came with the bundle from Microsoft.

How has it helped my organization?

By using Microsoft Intune, I can control my Outlook on my phone. Whenever I try to open any file attatchment, it will be more secure. There are additional security precautions it provides with photos, as well.

What is most valuable?

The security features are valuable to us. We have a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) policy at our organization. Many employees need help managing these devices. Microsoft Intune helps us manage MDM (Mobile Device Management).  We find it provides MAM (Mobile Application Management) to a lesser degree.

What needs improvement?

The MAM feature could be improved. In addition, the security of photo sharing could be improved.

It is very scalable. Our organization has over 26,000 employees.

Microsoft Intune is a cost effective choice.  It is less expensive than other products on the market.

We also looked at VMware AirWatch.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a reseller of the product.
it_user816000
Practice Head - Enterprise Mobility, Technology Shared Services at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It is really easy to use and the storage solutions are a nice feature.

• "In terms of technical support, you will get an immediate response."
  • "It's really easy to access."
  • "There are a couple of issues with stability."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is using Microsoft Intune MAM, which is the mobile application management. We are using basically it for application management type needs.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using a model for productivity through Microsoft Intune. For example, we are using Microsoft Themes to share all our contents and we connect that with Skype. We also use the Microsoft PowerApps, to help developer apps on a mobile. All of these functions are managed by the Microsoft Intune.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the overall UI. It's really easy to access, so user interface is very good. Secondly, the enrollment is a nice feature. It is easy to move into the Intune company portal with minimal steps to do so.   In addition, the storage solutions are a nice feature that can be used together with other Microsoft products such as OneDrive and SharePoint. A nice sidebar feature of this is that you can actually restrict the people to mark or store data inside a device and you can bound them to store it in only a white drive and then you can an create an overall encryption around that. For other companies you need to use a container, but not with Microsoft.

What needs improvement?

I think that in the future Microsoft Intune should have an EMS (Enterprise Mobile Security) feature added.

Less than one year.

Yes, there are a couple of issues with stability. The issues have to do with adoption. Also, organization has to change.

Our company has not quite reached a level where this is an issue.

Technical support is good. They have a free kind of support ecosystem, one is the premium support and one is the channel support. In both the ecosystems, the response is, good. Obviously,  if you have the premium support, you get a response within a shorter amount of time.  But I have found that even if you're doing the standard support also, you will get an immediate response. So, overall, the support is very good. For now there's no challenges coming from the technical support.

It is really easy to integrate and manage all Microsoft products with Microsoft Intune.

There is a cost benefit of using Microsoft Intune because of the packaging with other Microsoft products.

SR
Cloud Solution Specialist at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Integrates with the entire Microsoft ecosystem

• "...Intune itself integrates with that entire Microsoft ecosystem. As an individual product itself, it's okay. It holds up. But when you start saying "I've bought this as part of a wider solution, as a company we are going Microsoft throughout," then it makes more sense to have Microsoft Intune... so you have that single dashboard."
  • "I would like to see micro VPN. I like the way that some of the other providers have done something similar where, as you open that app on an end-point device, it creates a micro VPN straight into your device, which is quite a nice little feature. Also, Microsoft Intune relies heavily on its fellow products in the suite. It would be nice if Microsoft Intune could stand on its own two feet."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is managing mobile devices and applications. It really answers the question of managing BYOD end-point devices.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit is the way it integrates with the entire Microsoft ecosystem. If you're a company that has a bit of this, a bit of that, and a bit of everything else, then Intune probably doesn't hold up so well. But if you say, "We're going down the path of Microsoft's strategy, we believe in what Microsoft is doing as a cloud provider," then Intune, as far as security and managing end-point devices and managing everything, brings in the story quite nicely.

What is most valuable?

When a customer asks me about the most valuable features, one is that Intune itself integrates with that entire Microsoft ecosystem. As an individual product, it's okay. It holds up. But when you start saying "I've bought this as part of a wider solution, as a company we are going Microsoft throughout," then it makes more sense to have Microsoft Intune, because it plugs into Azure AD Premium, it plugs into Information Rights Management, it plugs into Windows Defender, so you have that single dashboard. It also has an integration with System Center which means again, from a single pane of glass, I can manage everything.

I believe they've just released a Mac OS support so that's great. And it has its own sandboxing.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see micro VPN. I like the way that some of the other providers have done something similar where, as you open that app on an end-point device, it creates a micro VPN straight into your device, which is quite a nice little feature.

The stability is better than it was. It's brilliant. It's a lot better than it was about three or four years ago. Four years ago, you wouldn't even have considered it as an MDM solution. Now, it's in the top-right quadrant.

The scalability is there. Microsoft has always said it's for SMB, public sector, and enterprise users. It needs to be there because, if you look at some of the bigger organizations using Office 365 and Microsoft 365, it's got the scalability.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would hinge on what your strategy is. It comes down to: If you're using Citrix then Citrix ZenMobile makes more sense. But if you've got a Microsoft strategy and you're looking at Microsoft security and you're looking at buying into the Microsoft cloud strategy, then Windows Intune is a very viable solution.

For me, the most important criteria when selecting a vendor depend on what is it I'm trying to achieve. I always want to check:

• where it ranks in industry reviews
  • for the features that I'm looking for
  • pricing.

For example, I may have a product that's brilliant and is amazing and does 120 things, but costs $10 per month; if I only need two of those features and I've got another product that has only those two features and it only costs $2 per month, I'd rather go for that.

I would rate Intune at about a nine out of 10 because it has come a long way, it is continuing to be developed, and I can see it as part of Microsoft's wider vision. It's not 100 percent there but it's getting there. The fact that you can now plug Intune into third-party products is fantastic.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Licensing Service Provider.
Jorge Barturen
Systems Consultant with 11-50 employees
We can better avoid information leaks

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the inventory of phones and deployment of Office 365. It is used for conditional access.

How has it helped my organization?

We can better avoid information leaks.

What is most valuable?

Conditional access: This feature helps me control uncontrolled access.

What needs improvement?

It needs incorporation of Knox, ZeroTouch, etc.

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

We can better avoid information leaks.

What is most valuable?

Conditional access: This feature helps me control uncontrolled access.

What needs improvement?

It needs incorporation of Knox, ZeroTouch, etc.

it_user824028
Mobile Devices Administrator at NBB
User
It needs certificate provisioning for S/MIME purposes, though it has remote management of non-domain joined devices.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the following: MDM EMM Cloud app protection.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improve our organization through the remote management of non-domain joined devices.

What needs improvement?

It needs certificate provisioning for S/MIME purposes.

More than five years.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the following:

• MDM
  • EMM
  • Cloud app protection.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

It needs certificate provisioning for S/MIME purposes.

More than five years.
it_user824247
System Consultant with 51-200 employees
Cloud Administration Is the Most Valuable Option

What is our primary use case?

Using Mobile Application Management for delivery apps to our users on a secure way to Windows and Apple devices.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to deliver applications fast to our mobile workloads so that users can make use of it instantly.

What is most valuable?

Cloud administration is the most valuable option. No need to install any Management applications.

What needs improvement?

Management of Linux devices from Microsoft Intune would be great. Then we can any device and not only Windows and Apple.

it_user800550
IT Manager, Applications at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User
Conditional access has helped us enforce our security policies in the mobile space, however it lags behind competitors in MAM capabilities

What is our primary use case?

Mobile Device Management for all 3M corporately owned mobile devices and BYOD iOS devices. Mobile Application Management for all 3M Mobile Applications, internal and external.

How has it helped my organization?

Much easier installation than previous MDM solutions at 3M, including Good For Enterprise and SAP Afaria.

What is most valuable?

Conditional access has helped 3M tailor and enforce our security policies in the mobile space.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Intune lags market leaders, such as Apperian, in its MAM capabilities. Intune lags all of its competitors in terms of report generation.

What needs improvement?

Intune lags all of its competitors in terms of report generation.

Keith Williams
Infrastructure Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Business Desktop Workspace in a serverless environment

• "The ability to (somewhat) manage full Windows 10 computers including EXE-based or MSI-based application deployments using Azure Active Directory as Identity."
  • "Additional application deployment options e.g. MSI deployment with more complex parameters or additional side-by-side files, and non-MSI deployment options."

What is our primary use case?

Serverless Win10 with App deployment, Azure Active Directory and remote support. Can now co-manage devices with both Intune and Configuration Manager!

What is most valuable?

And NOW (last quarter 2017), the ability to co-manage computers with BOTH InTune and System Centre Configuration Manager allows complex application delivery and ConfigMgr reporting etc to add more value.

How has it helped my organization?

For our customer, it meant no on-premise systems configuration infrastructure or identity management services were required.

What needs improvement?

Logs and similar deployment/remediation detail for application delivery to Windows 10 computers should to be improved

Unsure. Some application deployments to Windows 10 computers would not start for a long period, with no recourse but to wait and see.

Not relevant in our situation.

It wasn’t necessary to escalate an any point.

We didn’t have a previous tool. The solution was required to extract a company from another as part of a demerger. The new entity was our customer.

Application delivery to Windows 10 was straightforward for someone with prior System Centre Configuration Manager and application deployment skill sets.

We are the vendor. Intune expertise was low at the start of the engagement, but we now have a fully developed Modern Management (Intune) practice.

Not calculated

Consider the Microsoft Enterprise Mobility Suite rather than choosing specific sub-components, e.g. only Microsoft Intune.

We didn’t examine other tools.

What other advice do I have?

Allow sufficient time to pilot and test.

With the ability to now co-manage computers with BOTH InTune and System Centre Configuration Manager, you can pilot-test Intune without compromising on your proven systems management using ConfigMgr.

it_user452988
Deputy Manager of Information Technology at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
The most valuable feature is the integration with Office 365 and Azure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the integration with Office 365 and Azure. This is due to having the single sign-on experience, management, and policy deployment directly from the Azure console.

How has it helped my organization?

Mobile phones and devices are now delivered in a few minutes to the user and Intune does all of the configuration automatically. Before Intune, the manual process took more than one hour.

What needs improvement?

Intune has no remote control function for mobile phones to solve issues remotely for users.

We have been using the solution for two years.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

The technical support is very good.

Previously, we used Sybase Afaria. It was too complex and it was not stable.

The setup was very simple and fast.

It is good to negotiate with Microsoft as part of their other services, such as Office 365 or Azure.

We evaluated AirWatch, SOTI MobiControl, and IBM MaaS360.

What other advice do I have?

If they have Office 365 or Azure, Intune is by far the best choice.