Microsoft MDS Overview

Microsoft MDS is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Master Data Management tools. It is most often compared to Informatica MDM: Microsoft MDS vs Informatica MDM

What is Microsoft MDS?

Master Data Services (MDS) is the SQL Server solution for master data management. Master data management (MDM) describes the efforts made by an organization to discover and define non-transactional lists of data, with the goal of compiling maintainable master lists. An MDM project generally includes an evaluation and restructuring of internal business processes along with the implementation of MDM technology. The result of a successful MDM solution is reliable, centralized data that can be analyzed, resulting in better business decisions.

Microsoft MDS is also known as Microsoft Master Data Services, Microsoft MDM, Microsoft SQL Server Master Data Services.

Microsoft MDS Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft MDS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2020

Microsoft MDS Customers

ETA a.s., Apeejay Surrendra Group, Blue Star Infotech, Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation, The Sydney Children's Hospitals Network, New Belgium Brewing

Microsoft MDS Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft MDS pricing:
  • "With Microsoft, we buy everything though an agreement, so we purchase volume licensing every year."
  • "The pricing of this solution is good."
  • "I would like to see better pricing."

Microsoft MDS Reviews

GaryM
Data Architect at World Vision
Top 5Popular
Nov 24, 2020
MDS 2016 - Bit clunky but it works and the price is right and easy to get setup

What is our primary use case?

We use MDS for analytical and operational enterprise reference data management including management of campaign, product and financial management hierarchies. We currently only use batch interfaces to feed or get data from it. We also use it to maintain source to enterprise data mappings that are fed to ETL via a generic RDM (Reference Data Management) design. We have a variety of data stewards who use the tool for data management and they get automatically notified via email with a link when new products need hierarchy assignment.

What other advice do I have?

* It's sweet spot is reference data. Attempting to use it for large scale customer data or products may be problematic. * The tool is integrated into Dynamics AX but there is not clear direction by Microsoft for improving and supporting the product as a stand alone long term. Use it with that knowledge and look for any indication from Microsoft that it will continue to support it or deprecate it. * If starting out I would not recommend using any version prior to 2019.
NipunaMaliga
Systems Specialist at Zillione Technology
Feb 6, 2020
Has good replication, availability, and clustering features

What is our primary use case?

Mainly, I do infrastructure support. We do fine-tuning, information, configuration, higher-level availability, and replication. Also, single and clustering solutions - both kinds. We do on-premises and cloud deployments. This is because some customers use Microsoft Azure, mainly in the financial sector, such as the Sri Lanka Government, who has many databases that cannot go on the cloud. The financial sector also works with on-prem databases. I am mainly using the SQL Server from 2019. That's the latest version since last January while our customers are mainly using the 2016 and 2017 versions… more »

• "Its availability for a secured server is one of its most valuable features. Also its replications - we can manage eight replicas. Their clustering and availability groups are also valuable."
  • "They do not offer the SQL Server Management tool via the installation. It is a separate tool I use when I'm trying to configure the mirroring with SQL Server Mirroring. This is not supported and I'm getting some errors on the database mirroring."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Microsoft MDS an eight. I'd give it an 8 and not a 10 because it lacks some features, such as machine learning.
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Informatica, SAP and others in Master Data Management. Updated: December 2020.
455,164 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1222620
System Engineer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 17, 2019
Easy to deploy and provision a machine, good analytics, but the pricing could be improved

• "It is very easy to deploy and provision a machine."
  • "Most of the Microsoft partners, especially digitally, are separate. Personnel are business people, and they do not have technical expertise, so you end up as a company spending a lot of money training your staff and your engineers."

What other advice do I have?

I am an information security analyst and I research to stay up on the trends and to see what is happing on the market now because we run our Firewalls. I would recommend getting the correct licenses. From the article, they should get to know which licenses, because there are different agents of licensing. Ensure they get the right size servers. Ensure that they have the best technical expertise, to help with the implementation. Microsoft products are quite good. We run innovation Microsoft 2017 and it's pretty impressive. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Archidata67
Data Architect at a government with 10,001+ employees
Aug 6, 2019
Excellent dynamic data masking, but needs to integrate better with Microsoft's other products

• "Technical support is very good."
  • "The solution could be better integrated into Microsoft's other products."

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud version of the solution. The beauty with Master Data Services is that it's centralized in one place and the problem with other solutions is that most of them have been created in house. There is an overlap between them. The big advantage of this solution is with regards to a data warehouse. What you can do is cleanse the data and make it consistent throughout the warehouse before it gets into it, so it guarantees consistency. I'd recommend Microsoft MDS. It's the best MDM tool out there. I would rate the solution seven out of ten.
reviewer1153395
Decision Consultant at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
Oct 7, 2019
Good administration console, but the merge function needs to be automated

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to have a database of customers. We also use it to manage accounts. We have an on-premises deployment.

• "The most valuable feature is the administration console."
  • "In the next version, I would like to see integration with Azure."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
PaulOhuche
Owner at PARA SYSTEMS LTD
Reseller
Jan 15, 2020
Has a huge database with many users

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to develop solutions for our clients.

• "What I like about Microsoft, is that it has a huge database with many users."

What other advice do I have?

If I have to rate this program from one to ten, I will give it an eight. My advice to others would be to use an activity log. They should have a user account and they should keep track of every user that logs on, and the platform should keep track of it.