Microsoft .NET Framework OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft .NET Framework is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Application Infrastructure tools. It is most often compared to Magic xpa Application Platform: Microsoft .NET Framework vs Magic xpa Application Platform

What is Microsoft .NET Framework?
.NET Framework is a software framework that runs primarily on Microsoft Windows. It includes a large class library named Framework Class Library (FCL) and provides language interoperability across several programming languages. Programs written for .NET Framework execute in a software environment named Common Language Runtime (CLR), an application virtual machine that provides services such as security, memory management, and exception handling. FCL and CLR together constitute .NET Framework.

Microsoft .NET Framework is also known as MS .NET Framework.

Microsoft .NET Framework Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft .NET Framework Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Microsoft .NET Framework Customers
Curtin University, Rockwell Automation, Aruba Networks, Insurity Inc., City of Barcelona, Pennsylvania DCNR, University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, A1 Telekom Austria AG, Eastman Chemical Company
Microsoft .NET Framework Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft .NET Framework pricing:
  • "The product and support for this solution are free for everyone."
  • "For the moment I can only give the product a rating of five out of ten since only some of the customers will be satisfied, those that have the financial resources for hosting a platform on Windows Server."
  • "The pricing could be cheaper."
  • "There is a Community Edition that can be used free of charge, but the licensing cost for the Enterprise version is quite high."
  • "The Microsoft .NET Framework is free of charge, without licensing cost."
  • "If you want to develop an enterprise-level application, you have to purchase the enterprise-level development license."

Alireza-Nikseresht
CEO at Shiraz University
Has improved our efficiency in the time it takes to program a solution

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is to be able to build solutions more quickly and easily that has good flexibility. When you want to build a product, you have to have faith in the nature of its functionality and know you can write your code to run on their core. Another solution is to write software code to run on top of the framework. Microsoft .NET Framework is a very good infrastructure and we program over that. It handles many tasks for us and it helps us to write our programs very fast and very efficiently. Although it is like a virtual machine, it is still fast — or faster — and it is efficient… more »

• "A great solution for creating program solutions in a framework for Microsoft Windows quickly and easily."
  • "It would be nice if the framework were able to work with additional environments and systems like Linux."

What other advice do I have?

One piece of advice that I would give to people considering the use of this product is to use it because of several things: it is free of charge, it is fast, it is compatible with Microsoft Windows, and whenever a new version comes out, it supports the older version. These are all very good points. The development of the framework is really good and was approached intelligently. If considering other options, when you want to use a framework, you have to look at its ability to work with different types of other products. With the.NET Framework, you are able to work with different environments…
SK
Founder at a non-profit with 1-10 employees
Lacks adequate cross-platform performance and interoperability with AS400, but is the only viable solution for non-cross-platform tasks and works smoothly with Microsoft Technologies

• "Microsoft Platform is the only viable solution when I wish to do something that is not supposed to be cross-platform."
  • "It is of great concern to us that the solution is not very powerful on cross platform, at it impedes the ability to build and scale with it."

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft.NET Framework as a five out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft .NET Framework. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,919 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RE
Solutions Architect
A easy program language that works well in Linux environments and is easy to implement

What is our primary use case?

Our development tools, our platform, every solution we've developed, most of them are Microsoft products. So we're using .NET. Almost all of our enterprise applications are developed within that whether it will be reading those applications, web applications, or a background service, etc. Of course, there's a different case when it comes to our mobile application. We're quite open-minded and like to explore other frameworks due to the fact that there has been a lot of frameworks getting more popular nowadays.

• "Basically, .NET is simply is the easiest programming language to use, based on my experience."
  • ".NET Is still heavy or dependant on other Microsoft libraries and frameworks."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We use multiple deployment models. I'm using Azure Dev Ops for my previous projects, but for my company, we're using Jenkins to deploy our applications. The good thing with the .NET framework is that it allows you to develop an application faster and in a professional way. The downside is that it's different due to the fact that it's abstract. It's different from every other program. You really need to know the fundamentals of software development. That's the downside. Using .NET You will be able to develop many applications without really knowing what the inner workings…
AndreasSemousu
Project Delivery Manager at Skhomo Technologies
Cross platform development that is user-friendly and has good support

What is our primary use case?

We are working with version 2019, but we have clients who are still on older versions. We deployed the solution in 2014 or 2015 and they still haven't upgraded.

• "When it comes to the user interface, the context is better than other tools because it is easier to use."
  • "They should have more training materials available that are specific to .NET. We spend a lot of money training our engineers."

What other advice do I have?

Small clients don't do their development internally. We have three of these types of clients. Small to medium-sized organizations don't have an environment because they are easy to develop with easy requirements. I would recommend this solution but it depends on the environment and what they want to do. If you do mobile applications, to avoid the headaches of doing development on multiple platforms, I think that .NET is something that really works. We have tried everything, so when we try iOS it becomes a problem because we have to re-develop what you do for Android on iOS, even though we…
Ashish-Kamat
Senior Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
A mature development platform with a helpful IDE and extensive documentation

What is our primary use case?

We are part of the development team. We use this solution with TFS as our ALM tool, and we use the information server for the deployment.

• "The .NET framework is a mature platform that is very helpful and saves time during the software development process."
  • "If Microsoft would provide a monthly subscription at a cost that a developer can afford then it would be really helpful."

What other advice do I have?

Talking from an application developer's perspective, this platform is very helpful because it provides a common development line across all of the products that Microsoft provides. This includes things like Microsoft Dynamics, the Cloud Integration tool, and SharePoint. It makes it very easy to jump from one application tool to the other. The Community Edition can be used free of charge and is helpful for both new developers, as well as those who are shifting to the Microsoft platform. Over time, this product has matured and all of the new features have been helpful in improving the…
Syed Fahad Anwar
Principal System Developer at a government with 51-200 employees
Great all in one framework with extensive stack for web applications, windows applications and mobile applications.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is custom business applications, Integration services using WCF/Web API.

• "The most valuable features for us are web frameworks like MVC, Web API, and WCS."
  • "I would like to see more pre-built features in the MVC framework because as it is now, it's very open and you have to develop your own controls in order to use it."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who wants to use the Microsoft .NET Framework is to have the proper foundation before implementing the solution. This means that they should lay the architecture first, properly, and then develop the solution based on the architecture. Without this, the solution will not be scalable and will suffer from problems in the long run. This is a good solution but there is always room for improvement. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
YasirMehmood
Software Engineer at a mining and metals company with 10,001+ employees
Easy modular development with good technical support, but the features could be enhanced

What is our primary use case?

We are a software company, and we build software. This is one of the solutions that we use in our development environment. I have a profound handle on Microsoft. Net Framework.

• "As we are a software company, we find that accessing resources using this technology is easier compared to the others."
  • "In the next release, I am looking for more advanced technologies such as socket communication and enhanced features like realtime chat with the clients."

What other advice do I have?

There are proper resources. Stability and scalability are quite good. We handle 3000 to 4000 users at any time and they are users from all over the world, including North America, Australia, and the Middle East. This is a good option for the level of the audience. We are using version 4.5 but we are gathering a few more projects that are running on version 4.7 and 4.8. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
GN
Associate Director at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Great customization and consistently delivers in enterprise-size companies

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is generally for clients that are enterprise-sized businesses like insurance companies or bit telecom companies in the US. They are generally the customers that use this solution and my company provides services to them. Our work is related to putting the solution together and implementing the whole thing end to end. A lot of companies are moving towards the cloud, so either it's AWS or Azure or Google. Google is not as popular as AWS, followed by Microsoft Azure. And of course there are a lot of products on Microsoft which are also popular like their database and of… more »

• "Proven solution with valuable customization."
  • "Lacking in auto-scaling."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend that anyone considering implementing the solution do a proof of concept. That gives you an idea as to whether you're on the right path. A company also needs to take into account the requirements of their organization in terms of scalability and ease of maintenance and also whether they have the skill set to maintain the IT resources required. A lot goes into it but proof of concept would be good before going ahead. I would rate this product an eight out of 10.
See 6 more Microsoft .NET Framework Reviews