Microsoft Office SharePoint Server OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Office SharePoint Server is #7 ranked solution in top Content Collaboration Platforms. IT Central Station users give Microsoft Office SharePoint Server an average rating of 8 out of 10. Microsoft Office SharePoint Server is most commonly compared to Amazon WorkDocs:Microsoft Office SharePoint Server vs Amazon WorkDocs. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a media company, accounting for 24% of all views.
What is Microsoft Office SharePoint Server?

Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS) is a Microsoft software portal based on the ASP.NET framework. MOSS facilitates file sharing and collaboration, social networking, Web databases and Web publishing. It is hosted by Microsoft Windows Server and is accessible through Microsoft Office or the Web.

Microsoft Office SharePoint Server was previously known as Office SharePoint Server, MS Office SharePoint Server.

Microsoft Office SharePoint Server Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Office SharePoint Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Microsoft Office SharePoint Server Customers

Del Monte Foods, Unicredit Leasing, Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council, Nokia Czech Republic, Perkins Eastman, JLL, ICA, óxito Software, Dorset Software, PKP Cargo, Arcapita Bank B.S.C., AVE CZ, Chesapeake Energy

Microsoft Office SharePoint Server Video

Archived Microsoft Office SharePoint Server Reviews (more than two years old)

Moutaz Zrein
Principal Consultant at innoconsultants inc
Easy to learn and use, facilitates and promotes collaboration

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are document archiving, revision control, and workflows.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has provided us with a collaborative workspace to allow everyone to work together and be on the same page.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use and learning.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more Agile techniques and seamless integration with other applications.

I have been using this SharePoint Server for five years.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are document archiving, revision control, and workflows.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use and learning.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this SharePoint Server for five years.

it_user1113816
Risk Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
An easy-to-use and user-friendly solution for analyzing data, but it is not very stable

• "The software is friendly to use for mixing data and analyzing it."
  • "This solution is not very stable. It is useful to arrange data but it's not the best for big data. Sometimes we have issues with our reports as a result."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for mixing and analyzing data.

What is most valuable?

The software is friendly to use for mixing data and analyzing it.

What needs improvement?

Stability and the reporting system need improvement.

The interface is friendly but you have some limits and you have to use your imagination to make the graphs better.

In the next release, I would like to see the possibility to integrate market information directly into the product. It will help us in saving time.

I have been using this system for what seems like forever. I have been with this company for two years now and before this, I was using SharePoint.

This solution is scalable, but we do not have many tasks to integrate this product.

Previously with this company, we have not used another product. This is the only one.

This solution was already in place when I arrived, so I was not a part of the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

I haven't had a lot of time to explore this solution better and I am sure that it is better than what I know about it right now.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Office SharePoint Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AbdullahAlobaidan
Team Leader at Kuwait fire service directorate
Good server software but could be improved by enabling integration

• "It's a very robust product."
  • "The product could be improved by accommodating different technologies, particularly integration."

What is our primary use case?

I work as a team leader of IT Systems Development for the fire department. It's a government organization and we are partners with Microsoft. We use SharePoint internally, mainly for our employees. There are about 20 who use the solution now, most in admin or engineers. We are now also looking at other systems that may be developed using SharePoint too.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the product is that it's robust and you can access many features from Microsoft, such as Exchange, through SharePoint. It makes for an interesting product.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved by accommodating different technologies, particularly integration. Hopefully, Microsoft won't change the product because they tend to do that.
I'm not really sure about additional features but I think using SharePoint as an application server means it's competing with other similar products like Oracle Application Server, and they should aim for that level.

I've been using this solution for five years.

It seems to be a stable solution.

The solution is scalable but I think it still has its boundaries. For our environment, it's good enough.

As far as I remember, the initial setup was not complicated. It took perhaps a week to set up and we had a team working on it.

What other advice do I have?

We used to deploy the solution on-premise only, but we've now started moving over to Cloud and eventually we'll deploy only on Cloud.

I would rate this product a seven out of 10.

FG
Responsible Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Document management enables sharing with external users and integrates well with Office apps and Microsoft Flow

• "The solution's most valuable features is its document management. It allows sharing with external users and integrates well with Office apps and Microsoft Flow."
  • "The solution needs to enable better sharing capabilities between users and external users. Several users also have problems with linking their emails to their Microsoft account."

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable features is its document management. It allows sharing with external users and integrates well with Office apps and Microsoft Flow.

The interface is okay for the type of work users do on it.

What needs improvement?

The licensing needs to be improved, especially when there are a lot of users. It's okay if there are a handful of users, but when there are 20 or 30, paying monthly for all of these licenses is difficult.

The solution needs to enable better sharing capabilities between users and external users. Several users also have problems with linking their emails to their Microsoft account.

The solution is mostly stable. If the service is not available, it's only for a few minutes and will restore without any intervention needed from our side.

We can help our customers scale easily. It's not a problem for them, because they are small and medium-sized companies.

Techincal support is good. I am able to open cases through the partnership channel to Microsoft and they solve any problems we have. I don't have issues dealing with them.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment takes anywhere from two weeks to a month.

What other advice do I have?

I've been using the solution for four years. We use the public cloud deployment model. There's no on-premises deployment model. We are a Microsoft partner and typically work with small and medium-sized companies (about 50-80 employees).

Normally I recommend this product. However, there are others in the market that could offer the same capabilities or the same features, but at the same cost without a license.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

NanfaKumswa
CTO/Owner at AVAILSYS LTD
Good document management and the third-party add-ons enable us to achieve workflows

• "The most valuable features for us are their document management list and hybrid forms. and We also use third party ad-dons to achieve workflows and other recent apps."
  • "I think these tools do a pretty good job. There is only one area of improvement. Maybe Microsoft can invest a little bit more into the ease at which integration can be done with other third party applications."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are their document management list and hybrid forms. We also use third-party add-ons to achieve workflows and other recent apps.

What needs improvement?

One of the reasons why we don't recommend the cloud version of SharePoint is the cost. With the on-premise version, you pay for the license once. For the cloud version, there is a recurring fee.

The truth is there are some places where SharePoint is pretty decent for the thing that it does. Microsoft has a very good product. It's difficult to find room for improvement because you can get add-ons that support it. With SharePoint, if you are not subscribed to the SharePoint environment libraries, you can probably get third party tools that you can add on to it. It's difficult to see other tools that allow people to collaborate on documents and data in these libraries.

I think these tools do a pretty good job. There is only one area of improvement. Maybe Microsoft can invest a little bit more into the ease at which integration can be done with other third-party applications.

I know that Microsoft released SharePoint 2016, but I don't know if there is SharePoint 2019. We have only worked with the higher version of SharePoint since 2013. I don't know how much they have done in the area of integration. I think integration is a very important area of focus for SharePoint because it's very easy for SharePoint to become the go-to area, where everybody in your organization can come. Your costs, documents, sites, lists, and data can all be in one place. I would like to see them make it easier for people who are not using Exchange to connect to different data sources.

For example, a lot of people are using Google Apps. If I'm using Google Apps, there are plugins that we can just plug into SharePoint automatically to share documents and Google spreadsheets seamlessly. A Google spreadsheet can be imported into a SharePoint library. You can also point a SharePoint library to a Google spreadsheet, or the data source coming out of Google spreadsheet.

Integration also should include tools like Tableau, Salesforce, and some of the top software out there. It's not good enough to have website integration. That's not enough. You want to make an integration where Microsoft can build a wizard and you can just click a few times to create the integration. Then, just enter your username and password and point to the URL.
Those custom integrations are crucial, especially for smaller businesses. For large organizations that are deploying SharePoint in the enterprise, they already have an IT department, resources, and tons of administrators. They already have resources that can quickly build web services, called drivers or connectors. For small organizations, however, it would be good for Microsoft to invest in connectors. Microsoft can build and provide connectors for some of the more frequently used integrations, such as PayPal, Google Apps, Salesforce, SAP, etc. I think that would be great.

There is another area that Microsoft can improve on. I don't know what they have done with InfoPath. I think that's still a mystery. There's still a very big opportunity for form development and apps development framework that you can use quickly. Otherwise, Microsoft is telling everybody to go and buy two licenses to do serious forms of development. I think that's going to be a problem. I know that they're trying to encourage their partners to build those tools. However, workflows and easier to use and more robust forms infrastructure on top of SharePoint would go a long way. It is very expensive. They expect everyone to pay $20 or $30 per user per month. Microsoft can definitely help if they can build some of those capabilities, especially for people that want to invest in SharePoint. You're not investing much in to get some of the functionalities out.

We've been using this solution for eight years.

Most of our customers are enterprise customers. For enterprise customers deploying SharePoint, the setup is quite complex. If you don't know what you're doing, you can get yourself into trouble very quickly if you have a lot of data or users. It's very simple when you have a pair of small deployments. Then you can just click next a couple of times to engineer a solution. It's quite complex, however, if you have lots of users or you have terabytes of content. If you have a complex deployment, it gets very tricky and you have to get people who know what they're doing to be able to deploy even though there are challenges.

That's another big problem with Microsoft SharePoint because there was nobody to warn us and tell us at the beginning that, for enterprise deployment, we needed to think very carefully about certain things. It took us some time to build the competencies to understand the tricky areas. We had to learn what to do about performance and so many different things on an enterprise level.

The bottom line is that SharePoint is indeed for complex deployments. You just have to get the right team to be able to deploy it properly.

What other advice do I have?

It's difficult to rate in general because there are so many different parts of SharePoint. As a personal collaboration, I would rate it as eight out of ten.

SM
SharePoint Expert at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good processors and portals and very good stability

• "The level of stability is good."
  • "The solution is like a CRM, so the initial setup is complex. It takes a few days to deploy the solution and the length of time depends on how large the company's topology is and what the client's demands are."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data management and internet files.

What is most valuable?

On the on-premises deployment model, the most valuable features are the processors and portals. On the cloud deployment model, the most valuable feature is the portals.

I've been using the solution for more than ten years.

The level of stability is good.

The solution has a lot of options to develop it out.

We typically use Google to find the answers we need.

The user should use an integrator to help with the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We use all deployment models and are a provider of the solution.

The solution is a Microsoft product, so they are constantly improving the solution. They also want the user to be the implementor, as opposed to the developer. They're working on a product that can be used out-of-the-box as much as possible.

In terms of advice, I'd suggest users find an expert in the system who can give them advice on how best to use the solution. There are a lot of options and abilities. If you aren't familiar with the solution, you may not realize what it can actually do and how to successfully use it.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's a very good product.

MB
Engagement Manager - SharePoint expert at a marketing services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good scalability and stability with a straightforward setup

• "The solution's most valuable aspects are its collaboration capabilities, its communications site and the innovation within the product itself."
  • "The permission management features need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for consulting purposes.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The permission management features need improvement.

The search functionality on the on-premises version is not very good. We brought this up with technical support, but they said there wasn't anything they can do. This needs to be improved in a future release.

The solution could use integrated bots or some form of AI.

There needs to be the capacity to share links. They do it already on the cloud, but not on the on-premises version. It would be good to have to capacity to share a link to a dedicated person for a specific duration.

I've been using the solution since 2003.

The solution is getting more stable, however, we do find bugs from time to time.

The solution is scalable.

Reaching out to technical support is sometimes difficult because the first step is always to send the logs, and my client, which is a private bank, cannot send the logs like it's typically done, so it's difficult to work with them. This may be specific to my client, however.

The initial setup is straightforward. It used to be more difficult, but it keeps getting easier. The time it takes to deploy the solution depends on the project and could take a full day, but I have had a client in which deployment took an entire year.

For deployment and maintenance, it depends on the size of the company, but you would most likely need only one to two people.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant, so I work with multiple deployment models.

The product is very good. I'd recommend it to others.

I'd rate it eight out of ten.

RS
Operation Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Poor search functionality and too broad in scope with a complex initial setup

• "The forms aspect of the solution, for example, the creation of surveys, is its most valuable aspect."
  • "The search feature needs improvement. I can never find the information I need when I use it."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for document sharing and collaboration.

How has it helped my organization?

I couldn't name a specific improvement to our organization because of this solution.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The search feature needs improvement. I can never find the information I need when I use it.

They need a well-implemented Wiki engine. What they have now doesn't really comply to what I would expect from a Wiki platform.

I've been using the solution for nine to ten years.

The stability is good. I've never had issues with it.

I can't really speak to scalability, because I haven't tried to scale it, but I don't think it would be a problem to do so. We currently have over 500 employees at our organization using the solution. We don't plan to increase usage anytime soon.

I've never had any interactions with technical support.

The initial setup is complex. Coming from a standard deployment, you still need to take significant steps to make it really shine within your organization. You need to implement it in a certain way to make it useable.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model of the solution.

I'm not that big a fan of SharePoint, so there isn't too much that I really like about it.

My advice to those considering implementation would be to really know for what purpose you would like to use the platform and not just install it and start using it. You need to understand it and plan things out beforehand.

I'd rate the solution three out of ten. With the complexity and performance, it's hard to work with. In our case, it may be because of the way it's been implemented. In general, my experience with SharePoint is not great.

SharePoint should choose a more specific direction and not try to be the toolbox for every kind of solution that users want. That the solution thinks it needs to cover everything means that users have to do a lot of configuration before it complies with what they really need. The solution needs to be more specific and narrow the scope of usage.

Head of Development and Implementation at a pharma/biotech company with 201-500 employees
Easy to use but offers poor integrations with Oracle and has inflexible security configuration

• "The solution is pretty easy to use for the most part."
  • "Sharepoint doesn't integrate well with Oracle, and we use a lot of Oracle products at our company. Therefore, it makes more sense for us to go to Oracle instead of continuing to use Sharepoint."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for the portal.

What is most valuable?

The solution is pretty easy to use for the most part.

What needs improvement?

I can't configure the current security I want. There are a lot of bots in it.

I've been using the solution for 15 years.

The solution is mostly stable, but from time to time it does crash. Our team is able to fix it when that happens.

We've never had to contact technical support. My company is in Iran and because of the sanctions, the technical support system is not available for us.

We're in the process of switching to Oracle right now. Soon we'll stop using Sharepoint, mostly because Oracle is easier to integrate for us.

The initial setup was very, very easy. It was not complex at all.

Our original deployment took about six months. We needed about three people to handle it.

I handled the implementation for the company.

The solution is free. We don't have to pay for licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the public cloud deployment model.

I wouldn't recommend Sharepoint; I'm much more likely to recommend people use Oracle instead. It's more compatible and makes integration much easier because our company uses Oracle databases and APIs.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

Giuseppe-Barillari
Delivery Manager at Gesel
Leaderboard
A solution that doesn't require coding, is easy to scale, and easy to set up

• "The most valuable aspect of the solution is the fact that it doesn't require coding. You just need to configure it. You don't need to code before getting something running. It makes it very fast."
  • "Technical support could be improved. They are not fast enough, especially when we'll go deeper in the product itself. More complex issues make it very tough to find someone that can help you."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as our intranet for document and information sharing.

What is most valuable?

Let me start saying that you have two way of implementing Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server, on-premises or in the cloud. If you choose the cloud, the most valuable aspect of the solution is the fact that it doesn't require coding. You just need to configure it. You don't need to code before getting something running. It makes it very fast.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if you could use it out of the box or have something with more CRM-like functionality. If there could be some sort-of out of the box free option within SharePoint that would be nice.

It's not easy to manage projects on it. They should work to simplify this.

Sharepoint has a limitation for certain applications. There's a limit whereby you can only have an application that allows 5,000 items on a list. When you create a list that is bigger than this, SharePoint locks you from doing anything else. You can overcome this. The administrator can just increase the limit. Of course, this is not a good practice to have. If you want to try to understand how can you make the application that does not bypass this limit there is not a clear answer from Microsoft.

This is the issue we are facing right now and we're trying to develop a solution or an algorithm that will work within the respected limits but it is not easy and Microsoft does not help. They don't have a clear explanation as to why this is, and they do not have a clear statement warning you about this. If they were just be transparent, we'd have our parameters defined and we'd be able to ensure applications adhered to them.

I've been using the solution for five or six years.

It's an enterprise-level solution, so the solution is very stable. We've never had issues.

You can scale the solution, you just need server space, or another server to expand to if you are using the on-premises version.

Ours is on the cloud, so we don't have to worry about if we have enough server space or not. We haven't had issues with scalability. We don't need to expand at this time, however.

Technical support could be improved. They are not fast enough, especially when we'll go deeper in the product itself. More complex issues make it very tough to find someone that can help you.

The initial setup isn't complex. The time it takes to deploy depends on the company. While cloud deployment is simpler, on-premises deployment is very different. You'll have a lot of work to do in that case, so it will take longer.

We use the cloud version of SharePoint, which is pretty much out of the box with Office 365, so we had nothing to install. It was already ready to run and we only had to customize the look and feel. That's it. However, we have done an installation as part of a project for a customer where they had an on-premise SharePoint server.

As a user of the solution, we pay a fee. The amount depends on the kind of office license a user buys. The fees are paid yearly. We have an enterprise-level agreement with Microsoft at this time.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model.

In terms of advice, I'd say that the deployment model you choose depends on how big the company is. For a small company, a hundred or so people, the best thing is the cloud option. That way, you don't have to worry about building your own infrastructure. For a bigger company, I would suggest to use on-premises deployment model because you can better manage it yourself.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

SolomonChris
Founder at intellicon systems
Scalable, but with a rudimentary workflow and in need of more collaborative aspects

• "The solution is scalable. You can do both horizontal and vertical scaling."
  • "The solution needs to be more collaborative. I believe they are just coming up with the themes for this right now."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a personalized interface for the corporate internet portal.

What needs improvement?

The workflow is very rudimentary. We use the intensive workflows. However, these need to be improved. Microsoft may be coming up with a new flow currently, but I'm not sure. I'm hoping Microsoft will have all emphasis on WorkflowMax because the one we currently have is very rudimentary.

I've been using the solution for ten years.

The solution is more or less stable. You need to manage it carefully. If it's managed then it remains stable.

The solution is scalable. You can do both horizontal and vertical scaling.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution five out of ten.

They're not as focused on ECM, and I try to think holistically, which is why I gave them such a rating. They're not made as an ECM solution, but I think more as an internet portal. They need to put more emphasis on the ECM part.

Kuldeep-Verma
Senior Consultant at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
User-friendly, and you can extend the features as required

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the Communication Site."
  • "Many of our customers would like to see an OCR feature, so it would be very good to have this in a future release."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and this is one of the solutions that I implement for my clients.

I have worked on many projects in my career and the deployment model varies. For some customers, I have used SharePoint online, while others have been on-premises. In some cases, I have used a hybrid configuration where the customer is using it online as well as on-premises.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the Communication Site. In the most recent version, it is much more user-friendly, and any user can maintain it, including changing the content or other small tasks. In the older version, users were dependant on the developers. This dependency can now be avoided.

You can extend the features in this solution however you want.

What needs improvement?

Many of our customers would like to see an OCR feature, so it would be very good to have this in a future release. For example, you have invoices that have been scanned and uploaded into the SharePoint document library. If you are attaching the metadata along with the particular document then it is fine because you can search it well. However, if it is a PDF from an invoice that you scanned, then you will not be able to search for the details. You will only be able to search for it by name. Many of my customers are requesting a feature like this and will go ahead with the product once it is there.

Technical support for this solution can be improved.

Migrating a site to SharePoint online is not recommended, but it should be made smoother because customers demand it. There should be a good solution for this.

SharePoint would benefit from having more plugins available for it.

Microsoft Forms should have more features. The basics are there, but we need to be able to connect directly to the database. Line-level entry should also be there.

I have been using this solution for more than nine years.

The stability of this solution for the end-user is fine. We are seeing some changes in the development side, but generally, it is stable.

This solution is scalable.

I have been in contact with technical support several times. Most recently was about eight months ago when I was having trouble migrating to the SharePoint online. Unfortunately, they didn't help me very much and I had to solve the problem myself.

We have FastTrack support tickets, and even with this, it took them too long to look at our issue. We had to first raise a normal support ticket before it was escalated to FastTrack. It was more than fifteen days, so I had to work on it myself. I was able to solve it by looking at the log, but it took time.

The initial setup of this solution is easy, but we have to set up the servers.

The deployment of a basic SharePoint site will take only a few minutes. If we need to do some customization then it will take longer and depend on the requirements.

Some of my customers have opted to purchase OpenText instead, because of the additional features that it has.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this solution depends on the customer's requirements. If they have a basic requirement for document management, I feel that SharePoint is not very stable for this. However, the workflow is good and there are many other good things. It is a complete umbrella. If you have a good team then you can easily handle it.

Overall, it is a good product, and I recommend it.

The only complaint we have is about the lack of OCR capability. It is really difficult to convince a customer who wants a document management system that this solution is right for them.

Mario Treviño Salazar
Solution Architect for New Products and Services at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Leaderboard
We have developed workflows for automating licensing and other type of requests.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

• Document management
  • Version control
  • Workflows
  • Templates for generating sites

How has it helped my organization?

This product has improved the way our organization functions in the following manner:

• We are provided with policies and procedures for administration.
  • We can store all the documentation related to all IT projects.
  • We have developed some workflows for automating licensing requests and other type of requests.

What needs improvement?

I think that it can be improved in terms of security, to manage roles and better performance.

We have used this product for at least five years.

I have not encountered any deployment issues.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

I would give the customer service a 7/10 rating.

I would give the technical support a 7/10 rating.

We previously used IBM Lotus Notes applications.

This tool was implemented by our in-house team.

Before choosing this product, we considered continuing with IBM Lotus Notes.

What other advice do I have?

Try to define a simple structure in regards to the sites and try to organize it in a homogeneous way.

IT Manager, Network and Systems Infrastructure Engineer at a government
InfoPath forms automate our organizational processes and forms.

What is most valuable?

InfoPath and Nintex Workflow Engine are the features that are most important to me.

How has it helped my organization?

We used SharePoint to automate the documentation flow and develop SharePoint-based IT systems for licensing, managing documents, the help desk, and task libraries.

We used InfoPath forms to automate our organizational processes and forms, and managed the workflow for these forms using Nintex Workflow Engine. Using these features together, we converted our paper work to electronic digital data.

What needs improvement?

The Branding and User Interface Design and CK Editor should be improved, as well as the upgrade process.

There needs to be a clear and direct process for upgrade from one SharePoint version to another. The documentation available on TechNet is insufficient. We had to create a visual studio solution for the upgrade from SharePoint Server 2007 to the 2010 edition.

Multi-lingual support, including Arabic, is weak in the CK Editor. This is especially a problem when you copy Arabic from Microsoft Word. The format is not the same and we need to reformat the content every time.

There is also room for improvement in Branding and User Interface Design. One of our SharePoint environments is the internet-facing site: www.pcma.ps. There is not enough documentation or a direct process for redesigning the standard SharePoint interface.

I have been using SharePoint for six years.

For the most part, we did not have any stability issues.

We did not have any issues with scalability.

I would rate the level of technical support as moderate.

Before we moved to SharePoint, we used a locally developed .Net-based system which had lots of bugs, and lacked features when you compare it to SharePoint.

The initial setup was straightforward and easy.

The licensing model for SharePoint 2013 and 2016 is more efficient than the 2010 version because they removed the internet edition, which was the most expensive.

We went directly with SharePoint because it was the content management leader at the time.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend it, but it is better to hire at least one SharePoint expert so that you will have a good implementation and internal support.

it_user137121
IT Manager at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
Multi-language support allows collaboration using local languages in eight different countries.

What is most valuable?

Document library is the most used part of the portal solution. With the optimized search service, we easily keep all company digital content on SharePoint Server.

Workflow management automation features can be implemented easily without need for software development using SharePoint Designer.

Enhanced user access management features fully integrated with Active Directory allowed us to gain the trust of the users and they use SharePoint to store and share all company digital content created by them.

The multi-language support allows collaboration using local languages in eight different countries.

How has it helped my organization?

Allowing information to be shared across the company using the document library on SharePoint improved the effectiveness of our operations and new projects.

Consolidating all company digital content on SharePoint allowed creating company know how, which is used to improve our operations and new projects.

Implementing business process automation using workflow management improved company efficiency, allowing process transparency and possibility for follow-up at each step of the processes.

Implementing business process automation using workflow management allowed us to stop using paper.

What needs improvement?

There is no feature to show the workflow progress graphically.

Although there are different templates for graphical design, when you need any customization, especially on the main page, you need software development.

The solution requires a lot of hardware capacity for high availability and performance.

There is only one licensing model for the on-premise option and the licensing cost is high.

When you create forms using InfoPath Forms and workflows using SharePoint Designer there is no easy way to move the workflow and the forms from development to test and from test to production environment. The only way is to do the same job twice(if you have development and production environment) or three times(if you have development, test and production environment).

We are using SharePoint Server for more than nine years; started with 2007 version and made the upgrade to 2013 version in 2013.

I have not encountered any stability issues, but proper capacity planning and management is essential.

I have not encountered any scalability issues; you can easily add features, hardware capacity, etc.

There is a lot of documentation. You can easily find information on the blogs. Microsoft provides support at affordable rates. The implementation project can be a challenge. In Turkey, we have problems finding good architects, not just for SharePoint but for any solution.

We didn’t previously use another solution.

The planning was a challenge because in Turkey we have problems finding good architects, not just for SharePoint but for any solution. We solved this by asking for support from Microsoft.

Doing proper requirement analysis is essential. At the moment, SharePoint provides a server/call-based licensing model for on-premise implementation, so the number of users is important. The cloud option can be considered if the number of users is below 100. There is a need for database server licenses, too. (We use Microsoft SQL Server.) In my opinion, there is no need for Software Assurance.

We didn’t evaluate other products because back in 2007, SharePoint Server was the only option.

What other advice do I have?

If you already decided to implement SharePoint Server, plan at least two servers if you are implementing on premise (one for database, one for application services). Adding a third server for only the search service can prevent performance problems. Do Active Directory integration if you decide on the cloud option.

If you are at the research stage of your project, be aware that at the moment, there are a lot of alternate solutions that can provide needed features. After doing a business requirement analysis, do research for alternate solution, so you can have the solution you really need. You might be able to get it free of charge, because some open-source solutions can meet your needs too. Think about implementation consultancy and support if you decide to implement an open-source solution.

Don’t implement different products for different features because integration is a headache.

The solution meets all our needs, including workflow management automation.