Microsoft OneDrive Overview

Microsoft OneDrive is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Content Collaboration Platforms. It is most often compared to Box: Microsoft OneDrive vs Box

What is Microsoft OneDrive?

Microsoft OneDrive for Business gives you online storage that works seamlessly with the tools you use every day to create, communicate, and collaborate from your PC/Mac or your iOS, Android, or Windows device.

Microsoft OneDrive is also known as MS OneDrive, MS OneDrive, MS OneDrive.

Microsoft OneDrive Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft OneDrive Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Microsoft OneDrive Customers

Chevron, Accenture, Booz Allen Hamilton, DBS, Nestle, Lowe's, MGM Resorts, Textron, MGM Resorts

Microsoft OneDrive Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft OneDrive pricing:
  • "It is free if you are using Office 365, and you get a terabyte of storage with your account."
  • "OneDrive comes with Microsoft 365 so it is just an added part of that package."
  • "We pay a lot for the Enterprise version, but it is a premium service."

AN
Implementation Specialist - Application Solutions at a music company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Collaboration and sharing that is experiencing growing pains as it comes into its own

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is having it as our primary sharing and collaboration tool. Our company is in the entertainment industry. We have lots of different departments like finance, legal, animation, sound, editing — all of that. The actual use case really depends on the department and sometimes the user. For example, I am in our tech department. If I want to share some sort of document with my team, I just put it on OneDrive. Then, if I already shared a folder, I just drop it in that folder and everyone with access to that folder gets access to that file. That is pretty much how everyone is… more »

• "It is well integrated with other Microsoft products."
  • "It is free if you use Microsoft Office 365."
  • "There are not enough ways to assign permissions to shared folders and files."
  • "The technical support is really very bad."
  • "Performance is an issue when sharing a large number of files in a single folder."
  • "No one gets an alert when files are deleted."

What other advice do I have?

If they fixed all the little things, it could be a great product. It pretty much is a great product already. The integrations are still good. Initially I was really amazed. But then I got to know its many bugs and glitches and I have to take a global view of the solution. I was the main point of implementation on this, so I have been involved with the OneDrive implementation from start to finish. I know everything that has been in the product, outside of the product, limitations, trends, how people are looking at OneDrive, how they are they using it — everything. For other people looking to…
CA
Contact Center Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Keep organized and have access to important files wherever you are

What is our primary use case?

My primary use for the product is keeping files off my desktop and then to use it as a backup if my hard drive cracks or something like that. I am just a one-person consulting firm. I used to have more people working for me, but they are all retired. I am still here and I am the only one left because I was so much younger than everybody else. To Microsoft, I am just a customer and my grandchildren buy their video games.

• "It helps you keep organized."
  • "It gives you access to important files from virtually anywhere."
  • "Support has not been the same since the beginning of COVID lockdowns."

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give people considering OneDrive starts with the fact that everybody can use it. If you are a company and you use it in conjunction with teams, it is a great way to share files. It is a good thing to have if I am away from my desktop and in a hotel where I would not want to bring all that data with me. If I am working on a project I can just log on and locate a shared file by going on OneDrive and accessing the latest version of a project. On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Microsoft OneDrive as an eight or nine out of ten…
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft OneDrive. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CO
IT Analyst at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
Does a good job as a central hub for the storage of documents and sharing among team members

What is our primary use case?

OneDrive is just part of the package that is deployed with Office 365. I have been using it personally. It is not exactly the type of solution we are shooting for in the company I work for anymore, although we used to use it. I have been primarily using it for storage for personal backup. When I first started at the company in 2016, it was actually used as a central hub for the storage of documents and sharing among team members. That need kind of dissipated over time. So, I am just using it personally for backup now.

• "It is good as a central hub for the storage of documents and sharing among team members."
  • "Scalability is good just because it is a cloud-based product."
  • "Recent functionality changes have actually made the product more confusing to use."
  • "Technical support is not very impressive and is typical of large company software support."
  • "The initial setup is a bit clunky."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone looking to use OneDrive depends on what your intention is in using it. If it is to be used for cloud storage and collaboration, it is about as fair a solution as any other cloud storage like Dropbox. If you are using it strictly for your local machines — as a sole backup — it is not a good idea. I think it is typical of a Microsoft product. It is meant to be plug-and-play, and I think it used to be. It is not going to be any worse or better than any other product of this type as far as the user's ability to navigate the program. Before you just set it and forgot it was…
IK
Non Medicaid Service Coordinator at a healthcare company with 11-50 employees
Easy to navigate, simple to use, and quite stable

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for both professional work and school work.

• "It's pretty easy to learn. Once someone taught me, I was able to navigate it quite easily."
  • "The solution has sub-folders, which are visible to various team members. If you want to ensure the information is private, you would need to have a certain level of seniority in the office."

What other advice do I have?

I don't know if my company has a business relationship with Microsoft of not. I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using. It's likely the most recent, as it's a cloud-based solution. It's pretty universal, it's not hard to work with. Once you put something in the OneDrive, it is part of the office environment. We would be able to see each other's subfiles, so to speak. That makes it transparent and easy to share, but it also means you have to be cautious with who you share with. I'm familiar with it now, and really like working with it. I'll continue to work with it whether that's at…
OO
Information Security Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
All-Round Fantastic Product For Enterprises

• "The feature that I have found the most valuable is that Microsoft OneDrive works with any Enterprise Cloud Solutions Office app. You can edit a document on the cloud, share documents with your colleagues, and monitor changes. You can access your work almost anywhere. You can also sync Microsoft OneDrive with your workstation so that whatever you are working on gets automatically backed up to the cloud at regular intervals. So even if your system crashes, you still have a copy of your documents in the cloud, which I found very useful."
  • "The area that can be improved is to be able to share easily with folks outside the organization and with folks who don't have an office account. Sometimes, when you send a link, you might have some form of repetition. If you don't know how to share it properly, whoever you are sharing it with will have issues using it. Also, the link that you use to share a document can be made a bit shorter. It doesn't have to be long. Typically, when you want to share a document, it has everything, such as the name of the organization, SharePoint, etc. A short URL will be easier to use, and it will just make life easier, especially because a lot of people are now going mobile. I'm not sure if there's a mobile version of Microsoft OneDrive, similar to Google Drive. If they don't have a mobile app, it would also be nice to have a mobile app because that would help in checking out your documents. It would be easy to check your documents on the go on your phone."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Microsoft OneDrive, especially if you are an enterprise. The support is fantastic, and it's something that they've been doing for years. It's an all-round fantastic product, especially if you are an organization that is based on Microsoft stage products. So it's just an extension of whatever you are doing, like everything syncs. I would rate Microsoft OneDrive an eight out of ten. It's been a very useful tool for work and personal use.
IT Officer at Kim-Fay EA Ltd
Stable with great integrations and lots of collaboration potential

• "With this solution, the sharing of documents if very easy to do. There's a lot of collaboration you can do with your colleagues."
  • "The online application is quite limited, for this and other Office offerings."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer; we simply use the product. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft. We're using multiple Microsoft apps, including Office 365, which comes with One Drive, SharePoint, Teams, and other apps. We're using the latest version of the solution. It's a good solution. Organizations new to the solution won't have to do much prep work before diving into it. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
Founder at SDWAN Clan
Has the ability to open up on Windows Explorer to see the file structure in the normal format

• "Being able to use OneDrive as a mapped drive in Windows Explorer is the most valuable feature. Rather than using OneDrive on a browser, you can also open up the Windows Explorer and I can see the file structure in the normal format."
  • "If I want to pick out certain criteria of pictures, Google enables me to do that whereas OneDrive is a bit sort of flaky."

What other advice do I have?

If you're a Microsoft customer and you use Office 365, it works and integrates seamlessly. So most people out there use Microsoft Office products and it works hand in hand. I would rate OneDrive an eight out of ten.
HS
IT Business Relationship Manager at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
A transparent and self-explanatory storage system for data and files

What is our primary use case?

We began using OneDrive with our migration to using Office 365.

• "One of the good features is that the users are not even aware that they're using it."
  • "The user interface sometimes fails and when it cannot connect, it does not give the reason why."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing OneDrive is to make sure that the infrastructure is solid. Microsoft products require a good core infrastructure to get the best performance and potential for usage. If you don't have a good infrastructure then you will get complaints from the users, so it is better to solve the problem as soon as possible. Overall, we are quite happy with it and don't have any complaints. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
See 3 more Microsoft OneDrive Reviews