KB
Lead Consultant at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
The platform seamlessly integrates, has built-in connectors, and doesn't require extra coding

• "The whole platform seamlessly integrates well."
  • "Things need to be improved with respect to RPA kinds of solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We implemented this solution for our clients and the primary aim was to create a chatbot that would provide service answers to customers. If the chatbot wasn't able to help, the query moved to a ticketing tool like ServiceNow, which creates the ticket and assigns it to the appropriate team. For logging purposes, the ticket is logged with ServiceNow and it provides the solution to the end-user through the chatbot. I'm a senior manager and we are Microsoft gold partners.

How has it helped my organization?

This product improves the way an organization functions by creating monitoring solutions. One of the things we can do now is to enable the system to inform the service people before end-users log a ticket because the system can be monitored in advance. Those tickets will be created by the system itself so that the service provider can take action before being contacted by the end-users. It improves the quality of the service.

What is most valuable?

The value is that the whole platform seamlessly integrates well and that there are enough connectors to the majority of the systems for the SAP connection, or ServiceNow connection, or an email connection, or SharePoint connection. There are a number of connectors already built-in. It doesn't require writing any extra code, it's a low code solution platform so it's easy and faster to create solutions.

What needs improvement?

Things need to be improved with respect to RPA kinds of solutions and it requires a level of stabilization that is currently lacking.

I've been using this solution for two years.

The solution is stable. I haven't found many issues because when we design and implement we have a lot of experience behind us so we plan ahead and know what we're doing.

This solution is scalable.

The technical support is there with Microsoft depending on what kind of a subscription and relationship you have with them. Support ranges from standard to premium. Things are not always solved in a single instance and they'll sometimes tell you that what's been implemented is not supported.

It is a very easy and straightforward deployment process. If you are going to implement a very complex solution, something that's automated with a DevOps process, and many teams are involved, then it may require some extra people. It depends on the complexity of what you plan to build, the number of systems, etc. We have our own internal team that carries out the implementation.

There are multiple layers of licensing; there is a subscription license and if you want to use any premium connectors, then you need to have a separate license. RPA solutions also require a separate license and if you want to use any AI features, there's a separate license for that too, it depends on your requirements.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing this solution, be aware that there may be limitations within the system or within the platform that might not be suitable for your needs.

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Eric Espino
IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Easy to learn and comes with abundant learning material but needs support for industry-wide standards

• "It is basically free for me because it comes with my Office 365 subscription. The main feature is that there is abundant learning material on platforms like YouTube. You can find information about whatever you want to be done in Spanish or English without a problem. It is very easy to learn. Users can start using it on their own without any former training, which is something I like about this solution."
  • "It would be good to have some kind of on-premises solution for BPMN users, but I don't think Microsoft will ever go back to the on-premises solution. They all train their clients to use their online services. It is easy, but it doesn't follow the industry-wide standards. I can only use the processes that Microsoft gives us. I can't map a business process by using other standards or notations, such as Business Process Management (BPM). I have to use whatever Microsoft gives us. I would like to have support for some standards because if we decide to use another BPM tomorrow, we will have to remap everything in notation to transfer from this solution. This is the only block or obstacle that I see in using this solution. It is closed in its infrastructure."

What is our primary use case?

We started using it just three months ago. These three months also include doing the proof of concept. We use it for IT operations where users can request for a software push by using a Microsoft Office 365 form. Using Forward Automate, I initiate the process. I have another department that is using it for requests for the PC team or for a contractor's visit to the main plant here in Panama.

What is most valuable?

It is basically free for me because it comes with my Office 365 subscription. The main feature is that there is abundant learning material on platforms like YouTube. You can find information about whatever you want to be done in Spanish or English without a problem.

It is very easy to learn. Users can start using it on their own without any former training, which is something I like about this solution.

What needs improvement?

It would be good to have some kind of on-premises solution for BPMN users, but I don't think Microsoft will ever go back to the on-premises solution. They all train their clients to use their online services.

It is easy, but it doesn't follow the industry-wide standards. I can only use the processes that Microsoft gives us. I can't map a business process by using other standards or notations, such as Business Process Management (BPM). I have to use whatever Microsoft gives us. I would like to have support for some standards because if we decide to use another BPM tomorrow, we will have to remap everything in notation to transfer from this solution. This is the only block or obstacle that I see in using this solution. It is closed in its infrastructure.

I have been using Microsoft Power Automate for three months.

I can't evaluate their technical support because I haven't had any issues. We have an enterprise license and subscription from Microsoft, which gives us 24/7 support in case we have any problem with the solution.

The most complex thing was setting up Microsoft Exchange Online. Our email solution was Google G Suite Email. Switching over to Microsoft was very difficult, and it took at least one week. We are a small company. We did everything in one day, but we had issues for at least one week after the migration because we transferred all mailboxes from Google to Microsoft.

It is free with Office 365 subscription.

What other advice do I have?

We have just started to use this solution. The next step is to have a dashboard to polish the KPIs from the data stored through this application.

I would suggest using this solution if you don't have any budget restrictions for automating processes. If you are a subscriber of Microsoft and you use Microsoft Office 365, I will advise using it right away. If you have a budget and you want a solution that designs specifically for business profits, I will suggest implementing some other solution such as the one from Pega systems.

I would rate Microsoft Power Automate a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Power Automate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
HH
Digital Innovation Manager at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
Low-code, easy to use with simple use cases, but should be a centrally-governed system

• "The most valuable features are that it is low-code and simple."
  • "It doesn't have any OCR capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Power Automate for various personal initiatives of people to automate their own work.

It is used in a laboratory environment to connect the laboratory systems and to automate the connections between them.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it is low-code and simple.

What needs improvement?

For simple use cases, it is easy to use but as soon as it becomes complex then it doesn't fulfill the requirements.

It doesn't have any OCR capabilities. It doesn't really work with our ERP system, where we can log into the ERP system and have a robot updating it directly.

Microsoft is early on in this game and not really very far yet. They just need to mature their solutions.

In the next release, I would like to see a centrally-governed system, where you can access fully automated processes. This would include the ability to connect to other systems and log into them.

I would like to see it as a centrally managed solution.

I have been using Microsoft Power Automate for six months.

We are using a local partner of Microsoft in the Netherlands, and it's going quite well.

At the moment, we're using both Microsoft Power Automate and Microsoft Power Apps. We also use Kofax.

If you are using it as a user, I'm not aware of how complex it is for setting up central governance on it. But with proper RPA, you very much need the central-governance to ensure that things are conforming to standards.

As soon as it starts being involved in business-critical use, then governance is very important.

I haven't seen that the central governing of it to be easy.

We use a local partner to help with the implementation and it's going quite well.

I am not aware of the pricing, but the problem is something we run into often. As soon as you want to use a data service, all of a sudden the license cost goes up.

It's more fragmented licensing, where every little thing that you add, you get an extra license cost.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft is gradually becoming better, but for RPA, it's not fully there yet.

If you are looking for a low-code, simple to deal with email and extract a spreadsheet, then Microsoft is a good option. However, if you have a complex RPA use case where optical character recognition or PDF ingestion is needed then Kofax is a better choice.

I'm responsible for the center of excellence running Kofax as an RPA solution, and not for the Microsoft Power Apps.

I would rate Microsoft Power Automate a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Biswajit Mohanty
Senior Manager - RPA & Transition at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use and deploy but needs better documentation

• "The sequencer programming mode's ease of use is its most valuable aspect. The ease of calling out the functions in a sequence, basically from the functional side, is great."
  • "The solution could benefit from mirroring Oracle's use of videos and community forums to help users get acquainted with the product. It could use better online training and/or documentation."

What is our primary use case?

The use cases for the solution would be banking related, typically, and specifically surrounding BFS, Banking Financial Services.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution lacks certain items.

I'm not really qualified for judging the solution. A developer could give better pros and cons.

We would not miss Microsoft Power Automation that much. As still has a long way to cover tasks when it comes to the ease of use like UiPath, which is pretty user-centric.

The solution needs to improve its integration with SAP and Oracle models.

The solution's automation is still evolving and still has a way to go.

We've been using the solution (as Softomotive) for four years now. It's only recently become Microsoft Power Automate. Previously, Microsoft didn't have a similar solution.

The solution is pretty stable.

The solution is scalable, but there are issues. It's not perfect.

We have about 100 users on the solution currently.

We do plan to increase the usage of the product in the future. However, we do have our own internal tool we also plan on using more often.

I myself have not contacted technical support. It's the development team that does any outreach, so I cannot answer on their behalf.

The initial setup was not complex. It was pretty straightforward.

In terms of deployment, how long it takes varies. It depends upon the nature of the use case. Usually, it ranges between six weeks to 12 weeks. We used ten to 12 people for the deployment process.

We handled the implementation internally with our own team members. We didn't need the assistance of integrators, or consultants.

There are licensing costs, however, I do not know the exact pricing. It's not part of my scope of work.

What other advice do I have?

We're simply customers. We don't have a business relationship with the solution.

We use the solution, however, not in its full capacity. It's just there as and when there is a need. The product earlier was in Softomotive. Microsoft just took over Softomotive, which has WinAutomation, so yes, technically, it is now Microsoft.

We're using an earlier version of the solution, not necessarily the latest.

I'd recommend the solution. We don't have very complex use cases to compare it to, however, for small to medium complexity projects, it would work well.

Overall, I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

YW
Department Manager at SME Digital Transformation Department at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Good tech support

• "So far, the tech support has provided me with good enough support and knowledge."
  • "How long it takes to deploy will depend on how confident you are with your development. The development itself is not easy."

What is our primary use case?

Repetitive interactions between legacy systems and Excel managed by human resource. By collecting small tasks, there would be tons of time/effort we can replace with RPA. However, my challenge was major RPA solutions are not so much cheap to be applied to these small tasks. I believe Power Automate would be sufficient and cheap enough as Microsoft announced it will be free for Win 10 users (with basic functionalities).

How has it helped my organization?

It is still a persona trial phase so not much change has been brought. However, I have convinced Power Automate Desktop can be enough for many use cases where much investments are difficult.

What is most valuable?

Interaction with Microsoft Excel is good and will be more better in the future.

What needs improvement?

More detailed explanatory manuals are desired. As new features are introduced every month, I would like to know what is new and what is changed recently.

I have been using this solution for a couple of months.

I'm not sure whether the desktop version is stable. It is relatively new. It was launched in May. I haven't really tried it. But the trial version I'm using has been stable so far.

I haven't tried to scale it, so I'm not quite sure.

Power Automate has two versions. The initial setup of the trial version is really easy. All you have to do is just activate the environment and you can start working on it. However, for desktop version, you need to install the software. It should be as easy to download and install as the Office 365 environment.

I live in Japan and there are not very many consultants available for the latest Power Automate yet as Microsoft is investing quite a lot and new versions are released every month.

Should be high, as unattended RPA capabilities are available at almost free as I can utilize it under o365 license. No extra costs to start small and you can pay extra if you need premium services.

I would recommend Power Automate. Those will small use cases can use a free license.

We evaluated Blue Prism and Pega. However, Pega was a bit difficult to use for citizen developers. It requires some support from consultants or engineers, so it's a bit of an investment. They're small and if we introduced consultants or engineers, then it wouldn't pay off. So for that use-cases, yeah, users lost interest.

Private Cloud

SA
Business Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Inexpensive automation which lacks strong documentation, but is recommended for multiple small projects

• "Power Automate is not complex and is very easy-to-use in deploying most development projects."
  • "The thing which needs the most improvement is really the documentation. It should have better details of the processes."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this product is actually for a variety of reasons in conjunction with a few different products. We use it mostly for our accounting and invoicing purposes.

What is most valuable?

From a development point of view, I found UiPath to be more valuable in flexibility. But Power Automate has been very easy to use in deploying most of our development, so because of that, it has become our preferred automation product.

What needs improvement?

I think that the thing which needs the most improvement is really just their documentation. It should have better details of the processes. Right now it is on the lower end of the scale and does not have enough depth. So just adding more details and examples in the documentation would be helpful to users.

It could really use some more capabilities with the OCR and UI functionality of the automation. Right now it is pretty good, but with that, it would be great and easier to use.

I have been using this solution for probably about four months.

Power Automate is a stable product.

I think Power Automate is a scalable solution and it works very well for my purposes.

Our company is quite small at the moment. We have just over a hundred users. But that is constant use and it is changing daily. We have not done a lot of scaling but it seems like there are no problems so far as we grow slowly over time.

Before really adopting Power Automate, I did have some experience with UiPath.

The main difference between Microsoft Power Automate and UiPath is that I think UiPath just has a wider variety of opportunities for integration. By that I mean there are more products it can work well with. So even non-Microsoft-based products work well with it, like integration with Citrix platforms. This can function without a lot of extra work. I think that is really one of the main advantages.

Power Automate is a much less expensive product than the competition and you can still accomplish a lot with it.

What other advice do I have?

I think the price points for Power Automate are very good in comparison to other products in the category.

The advice that I would have for people considering the solution is that it is better for use with multiple, smaller projects and solutions. If that is what you want to accomplish then Microsoft Power Automate is a good target product.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this solution overall as somewhere between a seven or an eight. Probably closer to a seven.

TD
Power Apps & Dynamics 365/CRM Team lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Connectors easily understood, good support, and well integrated

• "The solution is easy to understand and to develop connectors."
  • "I had some experience in the past with the solution having some difficulties with large loads, it is already better but it could still be improved."

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to understand and to develop connectors. You can always extend your own connectors. The ability to go outside and develop your own APIs is a real benefit. Microsoft is heavily investing and developing new features. It is well integrated into the CRM, SharePoint, and other Microsoft platforms.

What needs improvement?

Another area that needs to be improved is when calculating the quotes of your API calls and flow steps, they are currently not available on the dashboards where you can follow. The API limits will be enforced at some point, at this point you should buy all the add-ons to extend them. This was promised by the end of last year, but it is still not added. Every community is waiting for when this is going to be inforced. It is important because it will contextually be a big step to understand the economics behind your flows and steps, etc., and how to do it more efficiently to save your API calls and steps. The question is, what is the real end cost of how much add-ons you will need to purchase.

In an upcoming release, it would be nice to see bigger integration of cloud and desktop flows.

I have been using the solution for approximately two years.

I have been dealing with Microsoft support for like 10 years or more now. Their support is similar to Office. It is Microsoft of course, I had experience with the premier support. The first level support agents will try and help but sometimes on the first levels, the knowledge shift is a bit lacking. You will sometime have to strain yourself explaining what you exactly want and then you will need to be transferred over to the higher level product team. When it comes to Power Automate, they have a dedicated team, which more or less understands the product.

What other advice do I have?

When making good architectural decisions it is best to understand what kind of scenarios you are solving, especially when it comes to the loads. Try to calculate what is the overall load that will be used, and all flows per day, per minutes, per hour, etc. It is important to do some testing.

Keep in mind the enforcement of API quotas, etc. It is important to start thinking about this and start calculating your flows, to get to the real cost for usage, excluding the initial license. It is critical to know how fast you consume your assigned API calls and when you have to buy extra. This is all in a way stored in the licensing documents, but it is not physically enforced, this is something to keep in mind.

I fully recommend this solution.

I rate Microsoft Power Automate an eight out of ten.

FA
Strategy Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Lacks sufficient AI capacity ;good for communication between users

• "Good core applications."
  • "Inability to use a lot of connectors without having a premium license."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a strategy consultant and we are partners and resellers/integrators of Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

I like the power automate side of the platform, which I'm using as well all the core applications to include a human loop in the process. I'm quite relieved now because they have the Power Automate desktop platform which is good.

What needs improvement?

One of the frustrating things is that you can't use a lot of connectors without having a premium license. I would like them to increase the AI capacity. Currently they are using AI Builder which is significantly reduced because it's based on models which are not similar and it's really narrow. Surface information, like going through Citrix, would also be good.

I've been using this solution for four months.

This is a stable solution.

The product is scalable, we have around 40 people using it in our company.

We are integrators so we generally don't use the technical support.

We still also work with UI Path and in the past we worked a lot with Blue Prism. We're losing business with Blue Prism because their entry ticket is quite high. With Blue Prism you can increase your capacity quite easily and then there are no entry costs. Most of our clients already have Dynamics or Office 365 licensing so it's quite easy for them to implement Microsoft Power Automate or alternatively the UI Path system. My conviction is that UI Path is the most complete platform, including the entire operating model and the COE, accelerators in opportunity identification, accelerators in maintenance and monitoring as well as the community services. So that why it's quite good. It's coming with extensions as well. It also comes with extensions.

The initial setup is straightforward.

I'm quite sure that they will increase their licensing in the next few months because the platform is getting better and better. The big advantage for them now is that a lot of organizations already have Office 365 licensing, so it's quite easy to sell.

What other advice do I have?

My advice on this product would be to focus on the human in the loop. That's because Power Automate is really great when you want to communicate with users in the middle of a crisis, or if you want some interaction with different people or want to orchestrate workflow between different departments. It has quite an impact when you implement user interactions.

For now, I would rate this solution a six out of 10, but I am sure it will improve in the next few months.

Download our free Microsoft Power Automate Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.