Microsoft Power Automate Overview

Microsoft Power Automate is the #5 ranked solution in our list of best RPA tools. It is most often compared to UiPath: Microsoft Power Automate vs UiPath

What is Microsoft Power Automate?

Microsoft Flow is now Power Automate—a versatile automation platform that integrates seamlessly with hundreds of apps and services.

Microsoft Power Automate is also known as Power Automate, Microsoft Flow, MS Power Automate, MS Power Automate, MS Power Automate.

Microsoft Power Automate Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Power Automate Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Microsoft Power Automate Customers

SNCF, Air France, Avanade

Microsoft Power Automate Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Power Automate pricing:
  • "This solution can save money when used for simple tasks specifically using only Microsoft products."
  • "The licensing cost for us at this time is between $8 and $20 per user, per month."
  • "It depends and varies a lot according to the licensing terms. There is no cost to maintain if we have less than 10 forms. Microsoft only charges if there are more than 10 forms. So, most of the companies can survive without paying anything extra. It is included in the Office 365 licensing."
  • "You pay for use and if you want a premium connector or adapter, but a lot of things are available for free."
  • "Its licensing cost is comparatively less as compared to Automation Anywhere. We have bought a two-year license agreement."

Earlgarth Greaves
Principal Consultant at The Bluestone Corp
Very user-friendly and easy to use but requires better user training at first

What is our primary use case?

It's a pretty big learning curve with Microsoft Power Automate and I'm trying to do a couple of other things. But I really have made some progress. I've actually started creating some bots. I've run into some snags. I haven't found my way out of the snags as yet. That's kind of why I'm not quite ready to publish because I'm not an expert yet, but I am actively working on it. Microsoft Power Automate is on-premises because I'm using the Power Automate Desktop. So it's a desktop piece that I'm actually using and that's definitely on-premise. What I'm actually doing is interacting with actual… more »

• "Power Automate Desktop allowed me to quickly visually identify parts of a screen and record it. So I can see that I know I'm going to have to click this button here, this field there, and this tab here, and I can literally go and quickly just record all of them and identify them and have them in a list that I can see and say - there's my list of things."
  • "I was working on it for around three days and then took a break of about two days. When I went back to it, all of the Excel, and all the Excel functions, just disappeared. Completely vanished. When I looked up the help, it said that sometimes that happens when you're not connected to the internet."

What other advice do I have?

Right now, on a scale of one to 10, I would give Microsoft Power Automate a six since I can't actually use it. I really can't go past six. Maybe once I actually start using it, I'll rank it much higher. I think it has great potential if I could just get it back working.
Vinai Sankunni
IT Team Lead at Kantar
An RPA specifically for Microsoft applications, but very limited in process complexity and integrations

What is our primary use case?

The reason why we are using this product is that we like to use it where we have automation projects specifically for Microsoft products. We can automate to improve productivity and for those applications and simple tasks, it is easy to use. For example, suppose I get my email with Outlook. There are certain times I will get specific Excel files from a pre-determined output which I have to always place into a particular SharePoint folder. From there, some other automation gets triggered and the file is processed in a certain way. Those are the sort of things we can automate with Power… more »

• "The most valuable feature is that it is very easy to use."
  • "The tasks that can be automated are limited to Microsoft applications only."
  • "Any task that is automated needs to be very simple. This tool does not seem to handle complicated tasks very well."

What other advice do I have?

I have a few comments and advice for people considering the addition of RPA in their workflows. I would suggest that they do as much streamlining of their processes as possible. If they can get smaller things up and running by creating the process with a simple tool it may help their efficiency as well as their bottom line. When you go for big tools like UiPath and all the other robust RPA solutions, the cost of creating those smaller processes will be higher than they need to be. If people have a Microsoft Enterprise license, they could actually use the Power Automate tool to make their…
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Power Automate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.
VS
Practice Principal - Cloud and Automation at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Integrates well with other Microsoft products but there are many features lacking and it is not scalable

What is our primary use case?

Internally, we're doing a lot of workflow automation. This includes creating documents inside of SharePoint, updating SharePoint lists, taking templates in Microsoft Word, and then pulling data from SharePoint to populate different fields in the Word doc using the approval workflows. When somebody is done reviewing a document, they click a button, and then it goes to the next person in the workflow. It sends me emails, sends notifications, posting from an email, stripping out all of the extra content in the text message, manipulating it, and then posting it to Microsoft teams, channels.

• "The integrations that are built into Power Automate for those different Microsoft functions are good."
  • "When compared to other workflow automation tools out there, it's just not as mature."

What other advice do I have?

Use it for basic workflows, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything that is mission-critical. I don't think that it is ready for mission-critical type processing. It's a good product. They just have a lot of functionality they need to add. People have posted on their feature request board, and on their community board. The vast population that is using it asks for the same features. They are either very slow to implement those features or they are not interested. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
Thiago Roque
Head of Digital Transformation at Zaact
Improves operational efficiency, integrates with all sorts of databases and Microsoft solutions, and is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

The most common use is for digitizing Excel forms or Excel spreadsheets. We use Power Automate to digitalize all Excel-based processes on a SharePoint page and link the libraries with the transactional data from the client. It is cloud-based. It can be deployed on a public, private, or hybrid cloud. It depends on the client. It is linked with the Microsoft license that a client has. If the license is hybrid, then Automate is hybrid as well.

• "Workflow management is what clients select the most. It is very intuitive and pretty much drag-and-drop, so we can create escalation, decision flows, and if-else conditions pretty much by dragging and dropping boxes. Even someone who is not technical can develop a workflow for the business."
  • "While working with big data, when we have structured data like logs, we have to work with an ETL tool before manipulating the data and creating the workflows and the forms. This can be improved. Big data support is something that I'd like to be covered a lot."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to first look at the process and then the technology. The biggest issue is that people think that whatever they have in the current system can be digitized and automated, but it is better to first do the roadmap, understand the process from A to B, and then design the flow on paper. After the flow on paper seems okay, then go to the tool and create the form. I would rate Microsoft Power Automate a nine out of 10. Big data support is something that I'd like to be covered a lot. The other piece that my business needs is already taken care of by the solution. Big data…
SF
Digital and E-Business Analyst at a construction company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Out-of-the-box connectors make it easy to use and it has good reporting

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this product is for the automation of manual tasks that may require some small integrations between systems. An example would be something like automatically sending an email from an action that is performed on our online system. Another might be writing data to our CRM database based on the input from an online form.

• "This product is a really easy-to-use solution for quickly developing prototypes."
  • "If the product had onscreen help, it would be easier to learn and use."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people who are considering implementing Microsoft Power Automate is that I think it is a really great tool that allows you to get started quickly on prototyping and integrating solutions that will simplify some redundant tasks. The best idea would be to just get started with it and experience what it can do. The biggest lesson we have learned from using Microsoft Power Automate is that there is just so much that is possible to automate. Thinking about the potential scope of what the tool can do, we now look at a problem and think that maybe we can use Power Automate to resolve the…
AG
Digital Strategy Manager at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to create automated workflows, good integration with Microsoft tools, and stable and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We have been using Power Automate specifically for the COVID situation. The use case is mainly to automatically fire an e-mail every Monday morning requesting the employees of our firm to provide a response regarding their well-being. After the data is captured by using an MS form, the subsequent workflows get triggered through Power Automate. If somebody has mentioned that they have a fever or shortness of breath, we send this person's entry to our health and safety officer and our plan manager. All this is automated. We also have another use case related to procurement where an automated… more »

• "The best part is the automated workflow, which is quite good and easy. It is just drag-and-drop. We are able to create workflows quite quickly. We are able to directly integrate the data that it generates with Power BI dashboards. Its integration is quite good with other Microsoft tools, such as Power BI. The visualization of the data has become helpful for us."
  • "Microsoft shouldn't charge extra for the database license if you want to store the data in the database during the trial. We wanted to have a historical trend of the data, and we started with the trial version of the tool. The database license is not included with the trial version, and you have to purchase it separately. Because we had a budget constraint, we had to pull all the information manually from the system, massage it, and push it to the dashboard. About two months ago, we have upgraded to the full-fledged version in which the database is integrated. The database license should be there in the trial version, but they have totally decoupled it. They should have provided a bundle, at least for the trial version, so that once a person or a firm gets a sense of it, they can start building. It might be because they wanted to sell additional licenses or premium licenses, and that's why they have added it in the premium version. It should have more cognitive features. Automation Anywhere and UiPath are different because they have cognitive functionality plus intelligent automation. The cognitive functionality is currently not there in Microsoft Power Automate. It is just for workflow automation and basic bot-level tasks. It should have more cognitive features, which probably will be launched in a couple of years."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is one of the powerful tools. The best part is that it fits very well with the Microsoft ecosystem. It is not at the same level as Automation Anywhere and UiPath, but being a Microsoft product, I see a bright future for this. In one and a half years, it will be one of the key players in the RPA industry. I would rate Microsoft Power Automate an eight out of ten.
MA
Smart Automation & RPA Tech Lead at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Great automation capabilities, good drag and drop functionality, and easy to use

• "The solution is pretty customizable. Even big automation tasks are done rather simply."
  • "While Microsoft has a way of integrating well with itself and its own internal tools, it could do more to include external options and add them to the mix."

What other advice do I have?

We're a Microsoft customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company. We're using the trial version of the cloud deployment model. We haven't paid for it yet as they have to do a benchmark within or the solution for some POCs on UiPath and on Power Automate to see the differences. In a lot of companies, they use Microsoft products. It's easy to demonstrate how it's important to have a Power Automate type of solution on hand. Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. Power Automate definitely offers the best automation scenarios due to the fact that it's a Microsoft product…
RE
Director - Analytics and Data at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Offers and easy setup and is stable and scalable

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution to not only automate processes but also to be an intermediary or a glue among the applications of Azure in the Microsoft universe.

• "The product is very stable."
  • "It would be great if you could integrate outside of Microsoft environments."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure of which version of the solution it is. It's in the cloud and therefore constantly updated. I'm a consultant. I would advise, in general, around any tool, just be clear with the requirements. No matter what sophisticated tool you were using, if you're not clear about data, then the software is not going to work. I have customers where we have to make a data governance program or project first before we implement it. You have to be clear with all your data, with all the possible information that's part of your data path. Be clear about how efficient your processes are before you…
See 41 more Microsoft Power Automate Reviews
Download our free Microsoft Power Automate Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.