Guillermo Carles
Business Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use with good speed and very good design capabilities

• "Overall, the tool is very democratic. It's easy for anyone to use. You don't have to be a professional or well-versed in technology."
  • "It's sometimes hard to import groups of options. At this point, I need to enter those manually and it slows the process down."

What is most valuable?

The solution is really strong. I'm not an engineer. I'm an economist. Even without being an engineer, I can handle working with the data warehouse. It offers good speed and excellent design.

If I want to process for payments, I can do it fast and easy in Power Apps. If I need to process information from Facebook, from Twitter, or other places, it's really wonderful.

What needs improvement?

For me, it's easier if I have visual references in order to learn the system. However, I'm also Spanish, and the tool is in English. That's one level of difficulty. Another level is that there aren't too many Spanish use cases and examples. It would help if there was more documentation in my native language to help me learn the system more effectively. In English, I don't think this is necessarily a problem. There seems to be a lot of English documentation.

It would be helpful if there was more explanations built right into the solution's interface so that I can understand what action is supposed to get what result.

In terms of usability, when I tried to make an amortization table, I couldn't find an exponential option. I don't know if it's ideal for financial tools that deal with credit or loans. I'm still looking into this.

I've only been using the solution for about four months at this point. It hasn't been too long. I've used Power VA, Power Pivot, and Power Query for a long time, however, in terms of Power Apps, it hasn't been nearly as long.

The tool is good for work. I haven't had issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash.

For me, and the way I am using it, the tool is fine. I'm unsure if it would work on a very large scale for big, big companies.

The initial setup was not complex. It's very easy as it's on the cloud. You don't need to be an expert in order to deploy it.

I'm using a trial version right now. I'm still learning the system, so I haven't moved into a paid version yet.

It's my understanding that the pricing isn't too bad. I've heard other people mention it's not as expensive as Azure in comparison with Linux. One or two licenses may not be too expensive, however, I don't know the exact pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I started working with the common data model and the entities and working with my data warehouse. Now I'm working on my data warehouse with common data series. I use Power Apps for my standard entities' values. I need to modify it now with the new processes that are in place. And in the beginning, I use Power Apps for the management of the entities for Power VA. Since I've started using Power Apps, as I can see it's powerful and makes it easy for many, many, many kinds of work processes.

I'm still trying the solution out, and I'm still learning a lot about it. I'm by no means an expert yet.

I'm pretty satisfied with the product. Overall, I would rate it eight out of ten. It's a good tool and it's nice that it's part of a suite in Microsoft.

OO
Senior Programmer Analyst at Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada
Great cloud aspects and good integration potential but does work differently on different types of devices

• "The cloud aspect has been great. We don't have to do a lot of research in order to begin integrations. It's so easy to integrate with other solutions."
  • "We're not in production yet, so we're still working through some issues."

What is our primary use case?

We're not in production yet. We're still very much in the early stages of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The solution works well with Microsoft Teams. We used to use Skype for Business, and now we rely on Microsoft Teams Enterprise E5.

There's great integration with Dynamics 365, Office 365, and more. It's great that everything is easily connected.

We can use the solution from cell phones, tablets, or computers. It works on every platform and in every environment.

What needs improvement?

The solution does work a bit differently on cell phones and tablets.

We still have information on our SQL server and we need to migrate things over. The timing of doing that is going to be a little tight.

We're not in production yet, so we're still working through some issues. However, by the time we are in production, I'm confident this solution will be ready.

I've been working with the solution for about six months at this point.

The stability of the solution is quite good. Of course, if we run into any issues, technical support is right there to help us, and they are very helpful.

We have more than 1,500 users in our organization. There are other users that will also be able to access the solution from the outside. With this particular solution, in terms of maintenance and direct work on it, we started off as a team of four, however, now we are a team of ten. We needed some more people to maintain the surrounding software. However, overall, it's been good.

We're not a small organization. We're pretty big. It's easier to focus on smaller projects rather than trying to implement something that's large scale.

We've found the technical support to be very good. They are always right there, ready to assist. We can open tickets 24 hours a day. If they are critical, they are dealt with quickly.

Our company is quite large. With 1,500 or so people, changes take a while to implement. It's not like a small organization where you can do everything quickly. You need to make sure people know how to use it.

In general, the full deployment took a few months.

I don't have too much information on licensing It is likely per application we use, or per machine. I don't deal directly with billing and therefore don't have the exact pricing.

What other advice do I have?

We have a very good and very close relationship with Microsoft.

I started working more on PowerApps as we were making a comparison with Salesforce. We decided on PowerApps mostly due to the fact that Salesforce would not work.

We have to maintain our current environment, so at some point, it's not that we are 100% in these new tools. Right now we have more than 60% of our time in these new tools and try to not develop any coding. We do make some code in JavaScript, however, it isn't too much.

It's a good solution. There is some coding needed for customization aspects, however, it's a pretty solid product.

There's still a lot that I need to learn about the solution. Therefore, currently, I'd rate it at a seven out of ten. We're not in production yet, and therefore it's hard to gauge many aspects of the solution.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft PowerApps. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KO
Vice President, Information System & Technology at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to set up and low-code allows for fast development, but the navigation needs to be simplified

• "The most valuable features are low-code and fast development."
  • "PowerApps is still a bit new compared to a slightly more mature product such as OutSystems."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are low-code and fast development.

Microsoft is evolving constantly.

What needs improvement?

OutSystems has many features that are still not available in Power Apps.

Simple things like navigation are better with Outsystem without much coding.

The key is the licensing; the fees could be reduced, especially at the enterprise level.

I would like to have more usability, with more fanciful navigation. More like what you would find in Outsystems BI. They offer more drag and drop navigation, and more advanced navigational options around the drag and drop lists and hierarchical navigation out of the box is literally a drag and a drop.

It can be done in Power Apps, but you need to do a bit of coding to achieve the same thing. It's lacking in features.

We are in the evaluation phase and have been using PowerApps for three months.

We are using the latest version of this solution.

To be fair, we are relatively new to this solution. It's stable but at the moment in terms of stability, the enterprise version is more sustainable.

The version that I am using is not at an enterprise level. If you want to increase in size you have to purchase more licenses. It's scalable as long as you purchase the license.

We have more than 100 users in our organization.

I have not contacted technical support. We haven't had the need to.

I am currently working with Microsoft Power BI and Power Automate, which goes hand in hand with Microsoft Power Apps.

The initial setup is quite easy, it's as simple as turning it on.

It took us two weeks to deploy it and to come out with the first prototype.

The licensing fee at the enterprise level is expensive.

We are currently doing a proof of concept with Microsoft, we are evaluating some of their products.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Microsoft Power Apps to anyone who is interested in using it.

As of recent Microsoft has been evolving the Power Platform rather aggressively.

For example, I'm using Power BI, and every month they have a rollout of new features, and with Power Apps, when you compare to one year ago has evolved quite a bit, and so has Power Automate.

Microsoft is on a journey of evolving.

It's a good tool now, but it will be a great tool soon.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
AV
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Stable and speeds production time but is a bit expensive for smaller firms

• "The solution allows you to use data to create excellent UI and quickly deliver an app. It speeds up production time."
  • "You can't add too many filters onto anything you build, otherwise, it will be very slow and it will affect your performance."

What is our primary use case?

We're working on B2E applications and therefore we can't really get into specific use cases.

What needs improvement?

For example, some companies want to use a lot of dashboards for Excel Spreadsheets or Sharepoint. If you put everything onto a mobile app, you won't get the kind of performance that you would if you just worked in Sharepoint. A mobile app has certain limitations.

I've been using the solution for the past year or so.

The solution seems pretty stable, or, at least, it's moving in the direction of becoming very stable. We've been happy with it. It's reliable.

The solution is quite scalable. There are third party connectors, or you can design your own connectors if you like. It's very customizable, which makes it very flexible and easy to scale.

I've never had to reach out to technical support yet. We've found that the documentation that they offer is good enough to answer any questions that we have. We also have many experts in our organization. We'll ask around internally before venturing out and asking Microsoft.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. They have a lot of third party connections. It's easy to connect things if you need to. However, this can add to development costs. That said, it's nice to have the option.

I don't directly deal with the actual billing. Therefore, I don't know the exact cost or the licensing structure. That's an aspect of the solution someone else handles. That said, it's Microsoft, which tends to be a bit more expensive. It might now be the best option for smaller customers.

What other advice do I have?

I'm most likely using the latest version of the solution, although I don't know the exact number offhand. We have a partnership with Microsoft so we're likely to be using only the most updated versions. Everything else: Power BI, Power Stack, AI, and all that, are also on the most updated versions.

While for larger companies, it's probably not too much of a problem, cost-wise, to adopt this product, for smaller firms, it's likely too expensive.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a six out of ten. It's useful, however, there are limiting aspects of the product that could be improved upon.

SM
IT Manager at a printing company with 201-500 employees
A stable solution for automating processes that is easy to setup, but it's not easy to use

• "The initial setup was very easy."
  • "I have always felt that you need an IT background to use this solution."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to automate the interaction between documents and departments. For example, it's a flow for someone who has to validate a request, a file, or to review another file. A flow is put in place to avoid email communication.

What is most valuable?

I like the status of the flow and the dashboard, with all of the flows that are running and showing the stages of them.

What needs improvement?

If you are accustomed to Microsoft technology, then it's quite easy to learn, but if you are new around the whole online platform of Microsoft, then it takes time. Even if you are familiar with Microsoft products then there is still a learning curve on the use.

Previously with Microsoft, they were offering hands-on exercises or labs. I think that should be put back in place. Also, a few years ago Microsoft had an MVA program. It was called Microsoft Virtual Academy, where you could learn a lot about technology, but now it's deprecated and that's why it takes time to learn the new platform.

I have always felt that you need an IT background to use this solution.

I would like to see more regarding the help element of the program itself. More courses around the usage and of the technology features, more training, and guides.

I have been using this solution for six months.

Normally, our downtime is planned, and we are aware of it. However, on one or two occasions we have experienced unplanned downtimes. As it was on our end, and not problematic, it was disregarded.

At this time we have three to five users.

We are using this solution once a week, as we have only just started using it.

We have not needed to contact technical support b. Microsoft has a tool located in the portal where we can see the service, help, and stages. This includes all of the help for Office 365.

The initial setup was very easy. It's a cloud solution. Because we were already using Microsoft products, we only had to enable the license and just start using it.

What other advice do I have?

At this time, we are still learning the basics and the setups while discovering the entire product and how to best use it internally.

I would suggest investing in the training of the product.

It is very important to know the capabilities of the product to be able to address any questions a customer or user may have for you.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
BR
Technical Lead at SmartIMS India Pvt.Ltd
Very simple setup with easy connection to any database or technology

• "Can design apps quickly and can connect to any database."
  • "Customer support needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for the three locations in our company. We use it mainly for setting up meetings in our various conference rooms. Numerous choices need to be made - size of room, number of phones and projectors, date, time, number of participants. It's a great way to keep track of everything. We have 200 users. We're gold partners and I'm a lead consultant in our company.

What is most valuable?

We can design apps quickly and we can connect to any database. We can connect to any technology, like Microsoft Analytics or SAP. It requires less code from our side and is available on cloud. Updates are done automatically, which is a valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

If they would reduce the price, that would be an improvement, and they should also improve their customer service support, because the last time I contacted them it took one week to resolve the issue. That's not right.

I would like to see improvement in terms of implementation. Sometimes the application is a little slow. If I want to load the data from Power Apps, it generally takes time to take the data from experiential Power Apps, but in this case it takes longer compared to other technologies. I've written to them about this.

I've been using this solution for six months.

It's a stable product.

Scalability is good.

Initial setup is not very difficult. Even with minimal knowledge it's easy to understand. Deployment took somewhere around half an hour and it required one person to implement. We have four people in the company maintaining the solution.

If I want to use Power Apps with Singalab, then I have to pay $10 per month. But if I want to have unlimited access to Power Apps that is $40 per month per user. Prices may have changed.

What other advice do I have?

It's very easy to use this solution, you can do integration, there's no need to write much code. I would suggest that Power Apps is for all ERP people.  If you want to connect to SPL on-premises, it requires one gateway. That's the bridge between Power Apps and the on-premises SPL.

The Power Apps tool is relatively new technology. Not many people are using it yet so whatever problems they are facing, they will be posting to WordPress or something similar. If I need an answer I can go there.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Yehuda Parnes
Founder at a tech company with 11-50 employees
MSP
Full solution that can do almost anything

• "The solution is very good. It's very full. You can do almost anything."
  • "This tool doesn't have an internal database. It only relies on the data layer of Microsoft Cloud."

What is our primary use case?

Once you have a cloud solution, for instance, and you work within a Microsoft suite, such as Dynamics CRM, ERP, or another dynamic platform and you want to extend it with a mobile app, Microsoft PowerApps is the right solution.

Main limits will be the "vendor lock-in" concept, pricing for mass external users, and the training could be better. It is not intend to serve ex-Azur assets or on-prem.

What is most valuable?

The solution integrated well in Azure environment thus provide a full rapid development solution. Thanks to the extensibility (as low code platform should), You can do anything, and if not directly, you can use other Azure functionality.

What needs improvement?

1. The licensing lakes a plan for a mass number of external users on the app.

2. The Data layer based on Azure data layer which complicates the environment, the min. required knowledge (citizen developers will not be independent under with PowerApps) and the vendor lock-in limitation.

3. The training is not integrated in the tool and the available training is not a full course which might be available in the online universities but not free and accessible like in other tools.

It's a stable and trustworthy solution and can serve in an organizational critical processes.

Anything special to share.

Yes I'm using Mendix.

The major advantage of PowerApps is in Microsoft environment.  Once your assets are in Azure, this is the natural choice for rapid development.

As always - depends on the size and complexity of the needed solution. But the cloud based solution + the Low Code approach simplify it.

I estimate that the time to market will be 3-5 times faster then 3rd generation solution or twice faster that best of breed of the shelf solution (which you have to find the specific specialist +rely on your solution provider ...)

The setup costs depend on the organization (it's professional knowledge) and it's assets location once the basic data and application is in Azure the setup effort will be very cost effective.

For organizational internal users the prices are fair. But for external users It's negotiation. The the long term is vague.

Microsoft Azure
Abubakar AL Seed
IT Senior General Manager at Abdul Latif Jameel
Stable with good technical support but doesn't integrate with non-Microsoft products very well

• "The initial setup is not complicated."
  • "Microsoft is not cheap. The pricing could be lowered for their customers."

What is most valuable?

From an architecture point of view, the architectural criteria are the most valuable aspect of the solution.

The solution is quite stable.

The product integrates well with other Microsoft products.

Technical support is very helpful

The initial setup is not complicated.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft is not cheap. The pricing could be lowered for their customers.

It's not easy to integrate the solution with other products that aren't Microsoft-related.

I've been using the solution for about two to two-and-a-half years.

The solution has proven to be quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. I find the solution to be reliable.

We have about 1,000 users on the solution currently.

Technical support has been very good. It's definitely helpful. We are a big, big, big company. We have a relationship with them, and we find that the service is good. We get pretty much good support from them. We're satisfied with the amount of attention we have when there are issues.

We also use Appian. We use both products simultaneously.

The initial setup was very easy and quite straightforward. I would not describe the process as overly complex or difficult. A company shouldn't have any issues with the implementation.

We have a Microsoft partner we deal with. They assisted us with the implementation.

The pricing could definitely be lowered.

We pay an annual license fee to Microsoft. We do not pay monthly.

I cannot speak to the exact cost our company pays yearly in order to be able to use this product.

What other advice do I have?

We have a Microsoft partner that we work with.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

I'd advise people to consider working with the product. It works very well with the other products of Microsoft in general and integrates with Microsoft Teams and other apps, which is helpful if you use a lot of Microsoft. I'd highly recommend it. It's easy to integrate.

Overall, I would rate it at a seven out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft PowerApps Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.