PB
Sr. Digital Experience Consultant at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides a lot of flexibility for flow automation, very stable, easy to deploy, and good price

• "The model that allows you to establish flow automation is getting a lot of traction from the customer side. It offers a lot of flexibility."
  • "The availability of templates needs to be improved. I understand that the ecosystem around it is still developing, but we need more templates. I would like the entire ecosystem around it to improve. I would recommend adding AI components. Even though we can always connect to Azure for AI components, they should slowly start looking at adding some AI components to PowerApps so that out-of-the-box learning can be applied to process flows. Salesforce has the Einstein layer that works along with license platforms. PowerApps should also have something similar."

What is our primary use case?

My organization deals with the implementation of PowerApps and Salesforce. We are currently scaling up our capacity in low-code, no-code platforms. Essentially, this solution is for building forms from a front-end loan application and quickly rate a particular application.

What is most valuable?

The model that allows you to establish flow automation is getting a lot of traction from the customer side. It offers a lot of flexibility.

What needs improvement?

The availability of templates needs to be improved. I understand that the ecosystem around it is still developing, but we need more templates. I would like the entire ecosystem around it to improve.

I would recommend adding AI components. Even though we can always connect to Azure for AI components, they should slowly start looking at adding some AI components to PowerApps so that out-of-the-box learning can be applied to process flows. Salesforce has the Einstein layer that works along with license platforms. PowerApps should also have something similar.

We have been using PowerApps for the last six months in our organization.

I haven't come across any issues. I have not faced any issues with my existing deployment.

It is quite straightforward.

We have our own team for the maintenance side.

One of the main things about this solution is the price. The cost for Salesforce is $35, $25, or $10 per user per month. PowerApps costs much less than that. It is at a good price point. It may change in the future, but at this point, its price is pretty fine.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for people who are looking for flexibility. PowerApps offers more flexibility than SalesForce. I would advise others to use a local platform to build and test first and fail fast.

We are still exploring a few features, but based on what I have learned and seen, I would rate PowerApps an eight out of ten.

JL
Solution Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easily connects to data services and is good for presenting POCs to clients

• "I can have a SharePoint list and connect with users through PowerApps to present the information."
  • "The editor in the Web browser could be improved because it can be difficult to implement the commands in the buttons."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for developing Proof of concepts and for preparing some use cases to present or to showcase them to the customers. Nothing related to production. It's only for presentations and for showing the merchandise to the customers.

The deployment model we are using is cloud-based.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is easily connecting to data services.

I can have a SharePoint list and connect with users through PowerApps to present the information.

I am also able to connect with Microsoft Flow, which allows me to connect with different people to email and update items in Sharepoint.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to see Microsoft PowerApps be more integrated with Microsoft Teams or SharePoint and with different applications.

When I configure PowerApps in Sharepoint it appears that it is not integrated with the page.

When it is configured it looks like it is a different application.

I have been using this solution for six months.

This solution is stable.

I have not contacted technical support because I haven't needed to.

The initial setup was easy and straightforward.

It took approximately two days, but it depends on what features have to be implemented.

I maintain this solution myself, and it only requires one person for maintenance.

We did not use a vendor to implement this solution. I did everything myself.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to create a master screen for items like layouts and all of the typography that you may have in your application.

Create a master screen widget. The rest of the screen will have, for example, settings for the layout that will refer to these objects in the master screen settings. Mainly for editing.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft PowerApps. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KS
Cloud Application Architect, Senior Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
A self-contained solution for rapidly developing apps

• "Of all of the solutions I evaluated, it was the easiest to use and deploy."
  • "Microsoft PowerApps is not intended for customizing what's generated in a major way."

What is our primary use case?

I am not a PowerApps user, but recently I have been evaluating and scoring no-code to low-code platforms (for developing mobile apps). The score chart is divided into sections, such as usability and features like the ability to test and multi-platform. Due to these evaluations, I learned the systems well enough to be able to build a sample application on all of these platforms and then fill in my evaluation.

What is most valuable?

I like the fact that Microsoft PowerApps it a self-contained solution; I could build everything and then deploy it. I liked the UI designer that they had for building the screens and also defining the flows. Of all of the solutions I evaluated, it was the easiest to use and deploy.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft PowerApps is not intended for customizing what's generated in a major way. You have these little windows where you can enter your script and such, but there is no script debugging, nothing like that. You build and you auto-generate the code. From there, if you want to customize it too much, then it's going to get difficult — OutSystems was more intended for that; you can do a lot more customization after you build your solution.

The stability is pretty robust. I didn't encounter any crashes or anything unexpected.

I did have a negative experience with customer support. I contacted them and was connected with an automated messaging system; It was hard to get to talk to someone. That was definitely a concern for me.

For me, the initial setup was very simple and smooth-flowing.

I was using a free version. The company has a subscription where you can use certain features for free, but there are features that require a premium subscription to use. I am not certain, but I suspect they would be expensive.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

Architect director at Olimpiait
Good integration with Microsoft ecosystem, easy to implement, and good online documentation

• "It is very easy for us to implement. We have a Microsoft ecosystem, and this solution has many components for integration."
  • "It would be good if this solution supports standard BPN operations. We are thinking of switching to a BPM solution next year because it is not a BPM solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for process authorization in our company.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy for us to implement. We have a Microsoft ecosystem, and this solution has many components for integration.

What needs improvement?

It would be good if this solution supports standard BPM notation. We are thinking of switching to a BPM solution next year because it is not a BPM solution.

I have been using this solution for a year.

It is stable.

Its scalability is very good. This solution is in Microsoft cloud, so we don't need to worry about scaling it.

We didn't use technical support. I have only used online documentation, and it is very good. There are good videos out there.

We didn't use any other solution.

The initial setup is very easy because it is a SaaS solution. We don't need to implement any server in the company. We just use the SaaS solution.

In terms of the implementation strategy, we take a small business use case in the financial area and do a proof of concept to evaluate a solution.

We did it on our own.

We use the Office 365 package, and Microsoft PowerApps is a part of the package. We don't pay any separate price for this.

There are no additional costs. We just pay for the Office 365 package.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution because it is an easy solution for the Microsoft ecosystem.

I would rate Microsoft PowerApps an eight out of ten. We are happy with this solution.

CP
Information Technology Operations Analyst at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
Straightforward to setup, stable, and the automized processes are useful

• "The most valuable feature is automized processes."
  • "The connectors are the main components that reference the data sources, and these need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use the Microsoft PowerApps platform to create low-code applications that are used for optimizing internal business processes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is automized processes.

What needs improvement?

The connectors are the main components that reference the data sources, and these need to be improved. They have to both improve the ones that are already there and add new ones.

We have been using this product for a couple of years, since 2018

This is a pretty stable product. So far, we haven't had any critical issues with it.

There are some options for scaling the product but we haven't used them, so I am not sure about scalability. We have approximately 1,000 users.

I would rate the technical support a nine out of ten. They are very good but the response time could be improved.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is a self-service solution, so there is no real deployment. It is a case of enabling that functionality within the Microsoft account, and then telling the people that it is enabled and available. At that point, I think that that they can create their own applications if they need to.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to research the material that is available in the documentation, as well as videos on YouTube. These sources contain a lot of information and recommendations for how to implement and use the platform.

They also have a really good community with Microsoft the websites, where many people post their issues and the solutions as well.

Overall, this is a really good product.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

VM
CTO at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Reasonably-priced, easy to set up, and the time-to-market for apps is fast

• "The most valuable feature is the time-to-market because you can make apps pretty fast."
  • "The user interface is pretty good, although it is a little bit clunky and can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to develop small apps that are used internally. Nothing major.

What is most valuable?

The integration with other products is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Microsoft PowerApps for between six months and a year.

This is a stable product.

PowerApps is a scalable solution. At the moment, we have approximately 40 developers in the company who use it, and we expect to increase our usage.

We have not needed to contact technical support. As we are a development company and our technical skills are pretty high. That said, we have had Microsoft support for Azure and Office 365 in the past, and it was pretty good, so I would expect the same.

It is very easy to install. It takes no time because it just talks to the cloud.

This is not an expensive product and there are no licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I recommend it. To this point, we have been working on pretty simple apps, and it has done everything that I needed it to do. I have not tried making a complex app, although that will come in the next few months.

VB
Data Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Pretty good support and useful for real-time feedback

What is our primary use case?

Our sales reps use it in the field on a daily basis. I get the data from there and then analyze it for my needs. We are also developing an application to start using Microsoft PowerApps. I would assume we have the latest version.

What is most valuable?

We get feedback on a real-time basis, which is actually very useful for us.

What needs improvement?

It is not enough user friendly. It also doesn't integrate very well with SQL Server.

I have been using this solution for almost a year and a half now.

I would say, overall, it is not bad.

We haven't gone that far yet, so I'm not sure. We have…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

We get feedback on a real-time basis, which is actually very useful for us.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for almost a year and a half now.

I would say, overall, it is not bad.

We haven't gone that far yet, so I'm not sure. We have almost 500 sales reps who use it.

They are good. We get a pretty good response and support from them. I had to talk to them on a couple of occasions, and it was a good experience. I would rate them a nine out of ten.

We didn't have anything before.

The initial setup was straightforward, but if you want to put more options, it gets complicated.

What other advice do I have?

It is definitely a useful product. I would absolutely recommend it.

I would rate Microsoft PowerApps an eight out of ten because there are still some issues that we are addressing, specifically related to its integration.

Youness Ziach
Digital Transformation Project Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 5,001-10,000 employees
Useful application making platforms, good performance, and excellent support

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the Model-driven or Canvas application-making platforms. The power of the two gives us exactly what we are looking for."
  • "In an upcoming release, I would like to see custom APIs, better integration with other solutions, and more connectors available."

What is our primary use case?

This is a low-code solution that I am using for making applications.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

In an upcoming release, I would like to see custom APIs, better integration with other solutions, and more connectors available.

I have been using this solution for approximately eight months.

The solution is stable.

We have plans to scale the solution in the future and it is very scalable.

We have approximately 35 people users using the solution in my organization and we plan to increase that number to 75.

The customer service has been very responsive and has always given us the help we required. Alternatively, there is a large PowerApps community that can help anyone find a solution for their problems. The overall support is excellent.

The initial setup was easy, we had no problems.

We have a small team that does the maintenance of the solution.

I pay nine dollars monthly for the subscription to this solution and the price of the is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is to review their use case and if it fits then I would recommend they try this solution.

I rate Microsoft PowerApps a ten out of ten.