Microsoft PowerApps OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft PowerApps is #1 ranked solution in top Low-Code Development Platforms and #2 ranked solution in top Rapid Application Development Software. IT Central Station users give Microsoft PowerApps an average rating of 8 out of 10. Microsoft PowerApps is most commonly compared to Oracle Application Express (APEX):Microsoft PowerApps vs Oracle Application Express (APEX). Microsoft PowerApps is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is Microsoft PowerApps?

PowerApps enables a broad range of app scenarios to be created that infuse digital transformation into manual and outdated processes. Use both canvas and model-driven apps to build PowerApps that solve business problems for task and role-specific scenarios like inspections, field sales enablement, prospect to cash, and integrated marketing views.

Microsoft PowerApps is also known as PowerApps, MS PowerApps.

Microsoft PowerApps Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft PowerApps Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Microsoft PowerApps Customers

TransAlta, Rackspace, Telstra

Microsoft PowerApps Video

Archived Microsoft PowerApps Reviews (more than two years old)

YousefHasan
Developer at Australian College of Kuwait
Data integrates easily on all Microsoft apps but the solution is limited

• "It's a very workable solution because it's an automated way of making applications. You have a template, you have the application know-how,"
  • "The product could be improved by making it a production application and enabling the export of apps."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a developer and we use the product for in-house development and finding in-house solutions. We have a developer relationship with Microsoft. I'm currently working on a smart parking app for a college here in Kuwait. It would be a big time saver and enable drivers to know where there are available parking spots when it's a busy time and would maximize free space usage. It would make things easier for everyone.

What is most valuable?

The common data point would be the most valuable feature. PowerApps is also usable for data mining, it can be used with Power BI or SQL. All the data integrates easily on all Microsoft apps. And it comes with most of the subscriptions and extras.

What needs improvement?

The product could be improved by making it a production application and enabling the export of apps. If you want to set up a site for home rentals, for example, just a basic outline as a starting point, this can be done. The issue is that it cannot be exported. It can be applied in-house, for demonstration purposes for your employees, for example, but you can't really make use of it otherwise. It's a problem.

On the whole, it's a very workable solution because it's an automated way of making applications. You have a template, you have the application know-how, etc. If it could be exported into different languages and could enable different ways of outputting the information, that would be great. For now, it's limited and that's a bit of an issue. Enabling all the applications on internet-based devices to transfer data in and out would make it an excellent product.

I've been using the product for six months and we're using the latest version.

It works as intended, it's not going to be a magical solution, but it just does what it's meant to do. That's the beauty of it.

I believe the product is very scalable.

Customer service has been pretty good. Actually I tried contacting them today and they've put up this bot that can get a response for you, but it takes more than a day, I think. I could do with some support. I can't access Azure Maps here, and I need Azure Maps to set up the smart parking system.

I previously used BlinkID but nothing else really has the same power as PowerApps. Google has its Cloud Suite but they've been a bit slack, and Amazon is iffy. They're not really workable here. I live in Kuwait, and there are a lot of contracts with Microsoft - they have the App Center here, but they haven't enabled much of it other than for government contracts, I think.

The initial setup was very straightforward. I tend to think the documentation and the community forms are more than enough to help improve your setup experience. It's very, very, straightforward. I don't think it took more than five minutes to set up and that's amazing. Previously, it might have taken a week to complete setup - all the code, database, linking.

I have no idea about licensing costs. I tried contacting Microsoft about this because the information isn't easily available and it was unclear where I could search for this. My guess is that the cost is dependent on the company and product needs. I tried to make a calculation and it looks like it's going to be much cheaper to purchase the product than if I were to hire an engineer, get him to develop an app, and have it maintained. This is a much more scalable and less expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

Previously, we had a whole department using the product. When I lived in Australia, it was used for assembling websites and to upload photos, videos and the like. It worked well because it was for internally-based users.

My suggestion to anyone searching for a product would be to invest in a solution if you know that it works. Don't go for anything high-risk. This product works as it's intended. It's missing a few key features to make it really stand out but I believe it has the potential to be the best app for access to the database.

The product can be easily integrated - with Microsoft Graph, with common data links, and Power BI especially. You can have a dashboard ready, all the information you want, displayed in whatever form you want. It can present your data in whatever way, shape, and form you want it to.

I would rate this product a seven out of 10.

JL
Solution Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easily connects to data services and is good for presenting POCs to clients

• "I can have a SharePoint list and connect with users through PowerApps to present the information."
  • "The editor in the Web browser could be improved because it can be difficult to implement the commands in the buttons."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for developing Proof of concepts and for preparing some use cases to present or to showcase them to the customers. Nothing related to production. It's only for presentations and for showing the merchandise to the customers.

The deployment model we are using is cloud-based.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is easily connecting to data services.

I can have a SharePoint list and connect with users through PowerApps to present the information.

I am also able to connect with Microsoft Flow, which allows me to connect with different people to email and update items in Sharepoint.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to see Microsoft PowerApps be more integrated with Microsoft Teams or SharePoint and with different applications.

When I configure PowerApps in Sharepoint it appears that it is not integrated with the page.

When it is configured it looks like it is a different application.

I have been using this solution for six months.

This solution is stable.

I have not contacted technical support because I haven't needed to.

The initial setup was easy and straightforward.

It took approximately two days, but it depends on what features have to be implemented.

I maintain this solution myself, and it only requires one person for maintenance.

We did not use a vendor to implement this solution. I did everything myself.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to create a master screen for items like layouts and all of the typography that you may have in your application.

Create a master screen widget. The rest of the screen will have, for example, settings for the layout that will refer to these objects in the master screen settings. Mainly for editing.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.