JC
Systems Software Specialist III at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to use with a good user interface and excellent scalability

• "The user interface is very clean."
  • "Once we commit our status, changing it is hard."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to enter our status and our time. For each task that we're doing, we have to enter a monthly status. It's for project management.

What is most valuable?

Overall, the solution has been so much better than the previous project management tool we had been using.

It's very easy to select the projects. It's so easy to save the project, task, and hours that I want. You don't have to think about it.

The user interface is so clean. The previous EPM product was so hard to understand in terms of the user interface.

What needs improvement?

Once we commit our status, changing it is hard. Sometimes, I may make a mistake about a holiday or something. I may not remember that there was a particular day that was a holiday and I may enter time on that day as if I worked. Sometimes I want to fix it. It would be ideal if the holidays were pre-installed so that we wouldn't make that mistake, that would be ideal. It should allow us to set it so that we cant enter time on holidays.

I have only explored maybe 5% of Microsoft Project as we're only using it to log things. I haven't seen a lack of features.

I've been using the solution for about one year at this point.

I haven't had any issues with stability. There aren't bugs or glitches, at least, none that I have witnessed. It doesn't crash or freeze. Overall, it's quite good.

Every employee has to use this solution, and we are a sizable organization. Likely, we have thousands of users on this product.

The solution is on the cloud, and therefore it can scale so well. We have our own internal cloud, and Microsoft has a cloud as well. If a company wants to expand it, it should be able to do so with relative ease.

I can't speak to the quality of Microsoft's technical support. I've never contacted them, so I can't say how knowledgeable or responsive they are. We have our own internal support. We are a very big organization, so we have an internal support team that assists us if we need help. They may reach out to Microsoft directly, however, I have no knowledge of their interactions.

We did previously use a different project management solution. I've only seen the user interface. It's my understanding that it is called EPM, or something to that effect. I like Microsoft's solution much more. It's a better product.

I only use the solution. I did not have to set it up. I can't speak to how easy or difficult it is to do this as I am just an end-user in the company.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an end-user and customer. My organization is a large company and we're a big customer of Microsoft.

I don't know which version of the solution I'm currently using.

My life has improved so much with Microsoft Project. It works extraordinarily well.

Overall, I would rate it at a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
MB
Technical Project Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great features but can be buggy and needs a better user interface

• "There are a few bugs that can affect the stability. This is typical of most applications."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the project management software. I create plans with it. It's a tool like Excel that we use for project planning.

What is most valuable?

I use all of the features that are there. There are quite a few that are very helpful.

It makes it easier for me to project manage.

What needs improvement?

I haven't thought of what are the qualities of the features and how can they be changed or improved. It basically has everything I need.

The solution does not have a mobile version at this time.

The user interface and how fast you can find tools to make a schedule, to build up a team, to come up with tasks, et cetera, could be improved. The framework of accessibility is a bit complicated. It could be simplified.

We have come across the occasional bug or glitch. It can affect stability. However, it's pretty typical to come across bugs in applications. Sometimes Microsoft can crash.

The solution is an application. The aspect of scalability doesn't apply in the context of the product.

I'm not sure how many people are using it in our organization at this time.

I'm not sure if there are plans to increase usage in the future. I basically just use it myself for more projects.

I"ve never actually used Microsoft's technical support. I wouldn't be able to speak on how helpful or responsive they are, as I don't have any personal experience to discuss.

I don't have any knowledge of the overall costs of the solution. It's not an aspect that I handle directly.

What other advice do I have?

We're working with the solution's latest version. However, I'm unsure of which version number we're using.

I'm not sure of the deployment model. It's more of an application than anything cloud-based.

Overall, I would rate the solution at a six out of ten overall. It's a cool type of tool, however, there are some improvements that can be made to make it better. It could be simplified.

The best thing before asking these questions is to go through the UI. It helps you to have a picture of what the tool does.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Project. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
    541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    JF
    Unemployed at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    Pretty user-friendly, good stability, and easy to set up

• "It served the purpose. It was pretty user-friendly."
    • "I am not that close to it anymore, but I know that there were some cut and paste issues when we were trying to move one group of roles to another, and they used to muck up the interdependencies between the tiers, rows, and other things."

What is our primary use case?

We used it in my previous organization for business process optimization projects, application development projects, system integration projects, program management over a multitude of projects, and program interdependencies.

What is most valuable?

It served the purpose. It was pretty user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I am not that close to it anymore, but I know that there were some cut and paste issues when we were trying to move one group of roles to another, and they used to muck up the interdependencies between the tiers, rows, and other things.

I have been using Microsoft Project since it was first introduced.

It was pretty good in terms of stability.

While integrating on one server, sometimes, there was a challenge. When you were leveraging the server aggregation tool, where you had everything, and you were integrating on one server to have the plans integrated for interdependencies, there was a constraint. I can't remember what it was.

A lot of Microsoft products are very Microsoft friendly, but they don't integrate well with a lot of other things. They fail in the extensibility model in the architecture design.

In terms of the number of users, we probably had about 200 or 300 people who were using Microsoft Project. In my past companies, I've had 700 people using them.

I never used the tech support for Microsoft Project.

I have used HP's PPM. There were two other tools that I have used.

It was pretty straightforward. Essentially, you should have taken classes in it and worked with it in order to understand some of the nuances of it. It can have a little bit of a learning curve.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to look at what they have on the market because, with the advent of the cloud, so many different types of tools are coming into play that can integrate with other cost analysis platforms.

I would rate Microsoft Project an eight out of ten.

JP
    Delivery Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    A stable, scalable, and easy-to-set-up solution for project management

• "It is very stable. I haven't had any kind of issues with it. It is also very scalable."
    • "Its user experience can be improved while configuring it. Its reporting can also be better. Reporting is not very easy. Reports do not always work. I was trying to download some reports, and they didn't work. I don't know if it was related to the configuration that I was using. I didn't go too deep to check if something was missing."

What is our primary use case?

I use it for project management. I use it to check the project and get some reports and KPIs from it. I am using the latest version of this solution.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Its user experience can be improved while configuring it. Its reporting can also be better. Reporting is not very easy. Reports do not always work. I was trying to download some reports, and they didn't work. I don't know if it was related to the configuration that I was using. I didn't go too deep to check if something was missing.

I have been using this solution for more than ten years.

It has good stability.

It has good scalability. It is being used only by project managers. In terms of increasing its usage in the future, I don't have any projects going on right now, so I don't know if I will use it in the near future.

I haven't used their technical support. Its documentation and community support are very good because Microsoft has a big database.

I've always been using Microsoft solutions. I haven't tried other solutions, but I believe they are very similar. I've seen other solutions, such as Jira, being used more for agile environments.

Being a SaaS solution, it comes ready to be used. The deployment took a few minutes.

It probably was $30 per license on a monthly basis. There is no additional fee.

We didn't evaluate any other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Microsoft Project an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
    FD
    Utilities Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    Reliable, simple, and pretty intuitive, but needs better reporting and integration

• "It is easy to use and pretty intuitive. User interfaces have stayed the same for the most part for the last 20 years. So, there is a familiarity."
    • "Its reporting and its integration with some of the other related systems should be improved. It is not very easy to integrate."

What is our primary use case?

I am a utilities consultant, and I use it within the utility industry for managing different types of projects, such as for implementing a new system or new processes.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't know how it directly benefits our business per se because it helps our clients.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and pretty intuitive. User interfaces have stayed the same for the most part for the last 20 years. So, there is a familiarity.

What needs improvement?

Its reporting and its integration with some of the other related systems should be improved. It is not very easy to integrate.

Its scalability is not so good for the most part.

I have been using this solution for altogether 20 years.

It is pretty reliable. I can't recall any issues.

It is not so good for the most part. It is good for what we needed it for. Occasionally, we needed to be able to scale it up, but it is not as effective as some of the other systems.

We have around 30 project managers who are using it. We're all dispersed across the US, and it is being used extensively.

We have no experience with them.

I've used other project management solutions. Its simplicity and ease of use are the primary drivers.

The initial setup was straightforward. I didn't do it. Our IT guys did it, but once they got the process done, it took less than an hour.

We just did it ourselves. For its maintenance, we require probably a fourth of a person.

What other advice do I have?

As with anything, there is training, and there are standards. Make sure you have enough training and make sure you've established enterprise standards.

It is reliable, and a lot of people know it. I would give it a seven out of 10.

SI
    General Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Great user interface with good stability and good pricing

• "The pricing is pretty good on the enterprise agreement we have."
    • "The technical support could be improved. They are okay, however, they could be much better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for planning projects.

What is most valuable?

The running time on the user interface is very good. We love, in general, the usability and the user interface. It's quite intuitive and easy to use.

The pricing is pretty good on the enterprise agreement we have.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any features that are lacking. I don't know of any issues with the solution that can be updated.

I believe I've been using the solution for about a year now

We've found the solution to be quite stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's not crashing on us or freezing. We enjoy working with the solution.

The scalability of the solution is good. If you need to expand it, you can do so.

We've contacted technical support a number of times in the past. We're mostly satisfied with their level of service. If I had to rate it, I'd give it 3.5 out of 5. Support could be a bit better.

The initial setup isn't complex. The implementation is easy due to the fact that the user interface is so good.

The pricing is pretty good. We don't have any complaints with regards to the cost of the solution. It's not overly expensive in comparison to others.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to other companies. It's worked fairly well for us overall and we've been satisfied with the experience we've had using it.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. There are still some items that could be better. It's not a perfect solution, although it's pretty good.

SN
    SVP, Emerging Data Platforms at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Good project planning features, good charts, and good at doing what it is supposed to do

• "The standard project planning features and charts are most valuable."
    • "When a project plan becomes huge, it is painful to arrange and structure the project in Microsoft Project. Currently, you require a separate product for managing agile projects, and people are using Jira and Rally to manage stories in agile. Primarily, on the software development side, people are kind of moving away from Microsoft Project."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for IT project management. It is mainly used for managing tasks.

What is most valuable?

The standard project planning features and charts are most valuable.

What needs improvement?

When a project plan becomes huge, it is painful to arrange and structure the project in Microsoft Project.

Currently, you require a separate product for managing agile projects, and people are using Jira and Rally to manage stories in agile. Primarily, on the software development side, people are kind of moving away from Microsoft Project.

I have been using this solution for 15 years.

It is stable but not for huge project plans.

I am using its desktop version. They also have an online version where you can collaborate and do things like that. It is Office 365, which I don't use.

In terms of users, around 10,000 people might be using it. Its users include service delivery managers, project managers, and business analysts.

I never had to use tech support for Microsoft Project.

I have used a competing product that was free and open-source, but it didn't have as many features as Microsoft Project.

We are kind of migrating to Jira for the agile model because we mostly have agile-based developments. All task stories and other things are managed in Jira. We are not using Microsoft Project that much now. It is only being used for project planning and for creating task dependencies.

In my organization, it is already packaged and available.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to learn about project planning. There is good enough information available online on Microsoft's website.

I would rate Microsoft Project an eight out of ten. It is good at doing what it is supposed to do.

YT
    MD at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Scalable, with good time management for project planning

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is time management."
    • "Collaboration is an area that needs improvements."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for project management and project planning.

How has it helped my organization?

It's very difficult to measure that aspect since we have not used a full-cycle. We are using it partially only, so it's very difficult to measure in that manner.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is time management.

What needs improvement?

Collaboration is an area that needs improvements. If we could get into the collaboration aspect of it as well, it might be helpful.

In the next release, I would like to see features included to make the collaboration easier, and I would like to see the dashboard improved.

I have been using Microsoft Project, for more than five years.

I can't comment on the stability because I haven't compared it with other products.

There are several products that could be user-friendly and easy to collaborate with.

It's a scalable solution. We have not had any issues with scalability.

We are also Microsoft partners. We have partner support in addition to regular support. It's nice and easy for us to get support.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft Project is the best.

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in implementing it.

It's important to get the appropriate training.

I would rate it a ten out of ten.