Microsoft Project Server Overview

Microsoft Project Server is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Project Portfolio Management tools. It is most often compared to JIRA Portfolio: Microsoft Project Server vs JIRA Portfolio

What is Microsoft Project Server?
Microsoft Project Server 2013 is a flexible on-premises solution for project portfolio management (PPM) and everyday work. Team members, project participants, and business decision makers can get started, prioritize project portfolio investments and deliver the intended business value from virtually anywhere. Requires SharePoint 2013, sold separately.

Microsoft Project Server is also known as MS Project Server, MS Project Server, MS Project Server, MS Project Server.

Microsoft Project Server Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Project Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Microsoft Project Server Customers
Magnachip, Gwinnett County Schools, CLEAResult, Medbit Oy, Intelbras S.A., ETS, CORE Construction, Keller Foundations
Microsoft Project Server Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Project Server pricing:
  • "It is on the expensive side."

Agile PMO Chief at Claro
Simple user experience with good usability and accessibility

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution based on its mobility. I can use it online or via mobile phones or anywhere I can get internet access.

• "The usability is excellent."
  • "We need to be able to compare milestones, calls, and other variables regarding the projects we are working on. I have to contract developers to make reports, which is where things get complicated. They need to develop personal and custom fields for us."

What other advice do I have?

We are Microsoft Partners. Currently, I am using Project Online and Project Server. The 2015 versions. At the moment, I am in the process of deploying, the solution in more areas. I start with IT projects and telecom projects. Currently, I am working to introduce regular projects, marketing projects, product projects, etc. I am working to introduce more areas in the Project Server environment. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at an eight.
Enterprise Architect at YASH Technologies
Stable with good collaboration capabilities but lacks insights around cost and budget

What is our primary use case?

My organization handles IT consulting and services. That's primarily how the organization is managed. The use case for this solution was to set up the resource development unit and manage the investment cost, scheduling, budgeting, and some of those new initiatives that were supposed to happen in the R&D division. That was why we were looking for a portfolio management product. We found that Project Server could be a way to visualize and govern the entire program for the client.

• "The stability of the 2019 version is quite good."
  • "The deployment aspect of the product is a bit tedious."

What other advice do I have?

We are simply a customer and an end-user. Although we began with the on-premises version, we've recently started using the online version of the solution. That is primarily how we access it now. From an advice perspective, for any enterprise that has an existing investment around Microsoft, it makes more sense in terms of moving to a Project Server to manage in a more structured way. However, if you do not use SharePoint, if you do not use Microsoft Teams or any sort of solution that is the real value of Project Server it's not necessary to use Project Server. This solution is best for those…
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Project Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Information Technology Consultant at Kaid
Excellent documentation, good technical support, and pretty stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to manage the project lifecycle. Generally the lifestyle starts at demand phase. We design a workflow according to customer's needs. The workflow starts with project ideation and project selection, if the project fits company criteria it will move onto the project management phase. Let's say you have 10 projects and you don't know which ones to move into actual project management phase. Customers use the portfolio and analysis feature of Project Server, and decide which project to do according to capacity planning(if they have the resources) and budget. If the… more »

• "Technical support is very responsive - particularly on critical tickets."
  • "The check-in, check-out feature makes Microsoft Project Server pretty slow or cumbersome to use."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not just a user, I implement solutions. We are Microsoft partners. I develop the solution from infrastructure to power bi reports. User experience, customization, and reporting. In Turkey, especially governmental agencies, they don't want to be on the cloud. So all the environments I manage, they're on-prem. Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We're mostly happy with the product.
FD
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Affordable and easy to use with a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution purely for project management. Basically, we use it to do project plans or schedules for our smaller or medium-sized projects.

• "The solution's ease of use is its most valuable aspect."
  • "It would be useful if the solution allowed us to share files or project schedules. You may get that with the cloud version. However, it's not available on the on-premises versions."

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution. It's such a good product for running the modules. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten due to the fact that it does have some limitations. Otherwise, it's perfect.
AP
IT Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to expand with good stability and a very nice user interface

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to track milestones on our project.

• "The solution is scalable and easy to expand."
  • "We think that calculations are not working correctly, and there is a need to enter data a couple of times in order to give the correct calculations."

What other advice do I have?

I don't have experience with other project management tools. Maybe there are some better solutions, however, I'm not sure what those solutions are. I would recommend Microsoft Project to other organizations. In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been largely happy with the product.
PK
SAP FI Consultant; Project Management Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reasonable pricing and great for project planning but needs better individual project visibility

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to plan our projects.

• "The solution, overall, is excellent for project planning."
  • "I'd like it if we could divide out the project calendars. On one project server, we might follow five projects or more at one time, and we'd like to see all of the items at once so that it becomes a long loop, but one where we can identify different projects in tandem and then focus on which we need to at the time. While I only have visibility into one, I'd like to see several at a time."

What other advice do I have?

I'm a consultant. I'm not sure which version of the solution we're currently using. I use the solution to follow my company's projects. I'd recommend this solution. It's excellent for planning. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
NP
IT PMO Manager at a mining and metals company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides a lot of flexibility in terms of dates for building the schedule

What is our primary use case?

We use it for master project scheduling, that is, the first schedule of each project.

• "I like the way you can build the schedule by the Don't Start Before or Don't Start After values. You can use it to build your schedule based on how you change your dates. This is how it actually builds the schedule."
  • "It needs to be more collaborative from inside the application. It only does project scheduling for me. It would be good if it could do other things and be more collaborative, such as sharing tasks for users. It is not really incorporated into MS Office, so you can't copy-paste stuff. It is on its own, doing its own thing. It is only used for scheduling, and it doesn't work well with anything else."

What other advice do I have?

It seems to me that it is the standard for doing project scheduling, which is a shame. It should be used for more. You should be able to do more things with it because now it is not enough for people to just build a schedule and then use something else to do your daily planning. I used to work for Microsoft, so I know how these things were built. I know some of the issues they have. It seems to me that it is a product that was built on its own. It is very standalone, and it hasn't been incorporated into the Office suite or other things that Microsoft products do. For example, we work a lot…