OB
Manager project schedule and ressources at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use, familiar Windows design, but needs better integration

• "Microsoft Project Server is easy to use compared to other similar solutions, such as Primavera. It functions similar to Excel or others Microsoft solutions which makes it simple for most people to be able to use right away."
  • "This solution could improve by adding integration with Primavera schedules to allow the reading and management of them."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the management of projects.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

This solution could improve by adding integration with Primavera schedules to allow the reading and management of them.

In an upcoming release, the loading of larger schedules could be faster when using the wizard and better workload assigning is needed. For example, if work is assigned to someone and they only work at the beginning and the end but not in the middle, it splits the tasks equally over the period.

I have been using this solution for approximately six months.

The solution is stable for small projects but when used for larger projects it can become heavy and slow to load and operate.

We have approximately 900 employees with a license using this solution.

We still use Primavera and it is better at managing large projects than Microsoft Project Server. Additionally, we have used Microsoft Project Desktop and Excel for project management. It was not ideal because we were using Excel for reporting and people were able to cheat on their reports. With this solution, it is more difficult to alter the information to cheat the system.

The full installation with configurations took approximately two months.

We did the implementation ourselves.

There is an annual license required for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. However, it does not fit all use cases.

I rate Microsoft Project Server a seven out of ten.

Senior Manager at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use, stable, and has good scheduling but the deployment could be simplified

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for reports for our project and program management.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use.  The scheduling and the customization are very powerful.

What needs improvement?

Reporting is an area that needs to be worked on. It needs improvement. It should be more agile and more flexible when it comes to customization. The deployment could be easier.

I have five to seven years of experience in Microsoft Project Server. We are using the on-premises version but have also explored the Cloud version. We are using version 2019.

Microsoft Project Server is very stable.

It…

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for reports for our project and program management.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use.

The scheduling and the customization are very powerful.

What needs improvement?

Reporting is an area that needs to be worked on. It needs improvement.

It should be more agile and more flexible when it comes to customization.

The deployment could be easier.

I have five to seven years of experience in Microsoft Project Server.

We are using the on-premises version but have also explored the Cloud version.

We are using version 2019.

Microsoft Project Server is very stable.

It is scalable but is very expensive.

We have approximately 50 users in our company who are using this solution.

We have not contacted Microsoft technical support.

It is not an easy deployment.

Once it is done it's good, but Microsoft Project Server is not easy to deploy.

It took approximately two weeks.

We have a team of three people to maintain this solution. They are made up of administrators and project managers.

We hired a professional consultant who was experienced to help us with the installation.

There is a licensing cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Microsoft Project Server a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Project Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Robert Szalai
IT Project Manager at a media company with 10,001+ employees
A stable and scalable solution

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using the 2001 version.  We use the solution for projects, with the goal of it being shared with more users, who can employ it as a single tool.

What needs improvement?

The solution could have more compact dashboards, such as one finds with Planview.

We have been using Microsoft Project Server for 20 years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

I cannot comment on the technical support as I was not directly aligned with it.

I cannot comment on…

What is our primary use case?

We are currently using the 2001 version.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Microsoft Project Server for 20 years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

I cannot comment on the price as I was not responsible for purchasing the solution.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is easy to use. My advice is that one first try it out, guage its look and feel.

I rate Microsoft Project Server as an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
Download our free Microsoft Project Server Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.