Microsoft Project Server OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Project Server is #4 ranked solution in top Project Portfolio Management tools. IT Central Station users give Microsoft Project Server an average rating of 8 out of 10. Microsoft Project Server is most commonly compared to JIRA Portfolio:Microsoft Project Server vs JIRA Portfolio. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is Microsoft Project Server?
Microsoft Project Server 2013 is a flexible on-premises solution for project portfolio management (PPM) and everyday work. Team members, project participants, and business decision makers can get started, prioritize project portfolio investments and deliver the intended business value from virtually anywhere. Requires SharePoint 2013, sold separately.

Microsoft Project Server was previously known as MS Project Server.

Microsoft Project Server Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Project Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Microsoft Project Server Customers
Magnachip, Gwinnett County Schools, CLEAResult, Medbit Oy, Intelbras S.A., ETS, CORE Construction, Keller Foundations
Microsoft Project Server Video

Archived Microsoft Project Server Reviews (more than two years old)

Project Manager at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

• Project metrics
  • Document management
  • Financial reporting
  • Resource management.

We use the data collected to manage project data, create and manage assignments and schedule via MS Project connectivity. We also track the current and future assignments for our resource to determine their availability and workload for current and future endeavors.

How has it helped my organization?

One source of truth for project metrics, management, and financial reporting. Through additional dashboards and reports, we have developed a way we can distribute project data and updated it to all of our stakeholders and customers.

What is most valuable?

• Project management
  • One consistently updated and backup/secured location for all project data
  • Accurate project metrics are critical to being able to manage our projects from a central database.

What needs improvement?

OOB reporting is not very robust. We have utilized SSRS, Excel Services and Qlik Sense to expand the OOB reporting capabilities. We use a hosted on-premise version so that we can have better direct access to the SQL server data.

More than five years.

MS Project standalone version and SharePoint repositories were our previous solutions.

Engage an experienced and highly rated vendor to help in the discovery and planning of the implementation. Project Server is better priced than many of the higher-end project management solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Training for the userbase is a primary concern. Make sure there is a great training plan in place to ensure the userbase can be productive very early in the process.

it_user615822
Senior Project Control Specialist at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The Resource Manager Feature is Good. It is Very Direct and Keeps Track of the Resource Usage.

• "It is a scalable solution. We have been able to manage larger scale projects easily using this solution."
  • "It may be considered expensive."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is as a portfolio of projects. It helps us keep track of the private projects.

How has it helped my organization?

It enables us to view all of our projects, and that is really great. We can see how we are doing right now. It improved the resource management of the organization.

What is most valuable?

The Resource Manager feature is a good. It is very direct and keeps track of the resource usage. Also, Project Server gives you the whole idea of the project size. It is mainly used for looking up a project that you want to get the total view of the entirety of the project.

It is a stable product.

We have previous experience with Algera.

It may be considered expensive, but it has features that cannot be bought by other rivals, so cost does not matter.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Project Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KS
Senior Consultant, Financial Services - IT Advisory Services at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
The division between the onsite work On the cloud of is something valuable. The tech support needs improvement.

• "It is easily adaptable. In addition, it is easily used on mobile applications."
  • "In terms of tech support, it took a long time for them to resolve a ticket."
  • "When a lot of users logged onto the site, it took a big toll on the service. Therefore, there is a scalability issue."
  • "Work needs to be done on collaboration with SharePoint."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case would be to reset out projects online during the process and be able to use the Project Pro to run or exhibit projects which are already planned as part of the process of project management.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves the managing function with this product.

What is most valuable?

I think the division between the onsite work on the cloud of Microsoft Office is something valuable. It is used for consulting assignments. I think that people are more used to the Microsoft inner-workings. They use Excel, and the other Office products, so it is easily adaptable. In addition, it is easily used on mobile applications.

I think stability is good but I think there's quite some amount of activity towards integration with SharePoint.  So, the institution in terms of collaborating and sharing projects, I think that's something that needs to be worked on in the future.

In terms of the performance, I think it's something that took a big toll on the service when a lot of people logged in finally, so that's something that can be improved in the future.

They were good, but they took quite some time to resolve a ticket. We figured it out with our own tech support. The issue was a performance issue, so we could see our position taking a longer time to load because it would generally take three seconds. At the max, it was taking more than ten seconds for the application to load. Eventually, we got it resolved through a Microsoft tech service technician on-site.

It was already implemented, but it had to be customized. We did some customization, along with some approvals along with the Share Point. So, it was a little more complex implementation. In terms of creating forms for users to log in with their information, as well as integrating Share Point with Project, we had to research how to create a flow between these two platforms. Initially, there were problems with the integration of the two.

The licensing was procured before my involvement.

I know that there are other solutions in this realm. Gmail is one that others are using right now. They are the main competitor.

People are still have the view that not many of these run through Microsoft project. A lot of these will be running through Agile, so that's the basic difference I've seen in terms of the competitions in my projects.

What other advice do I have?

I think this solution is a more scalable, so people now will start believing that Microsoft can also be used. The comfort of using Microsoft products, which is likely for most of the clients, is that they use Microsoft Office as their primary word processing or data processing tool. I think people have their trust in the Microsoft product line, so I think it's good to give them something because I think it's easier for them to adopt and implement.

Oliver Chitsamatanga
IT at a tech services company with self employed
Tracks time taken and budget status, but needs to be more user-friendly

• "We are able to know what we are doing, how much we have spent, how much time we've taken, and it tells us how much money is left for the project. It also tells us whether we are below or above our expenditures, whether we are below or above our budget."
  • "It has to be more user-friendly. For instance, there should be some assistance, like when you go to certain sites, people pop up and say, "Can we help you? What are you looking for?" It's not interactive enough."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for managing our internal projects, for tracking the status and progress of our projects in terms of schedules - that they are delivered on time - and that the expenditure is controlled.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to know what we are doing, how much we have spent, how much time we've taken, and it tells us how much money is left for the project. It also tells us whether we are below or above our expenditures, whether we are below or above our budget.

What is most valuable?

The graphical scheduling feature is very important for us.

What needs improvement?

It has to be more user-friendly. For instance, there should be some assistance, like when you go to certain sites, people pop up and say, "Can we help you? What are you looking for?" It's not interactive enough.

The stability is fine for our purposes.

Because our projects are medium size, it's capable of dealing with the details that we require. It's able to capture the critical details that we require at every stage.

Setting up is not that difficult.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution but it does have limitations, as I said: The real-time interactions with the user are absent. That is the only issue that I would mention. Otherwise, I would recommend it.

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are that the product has to meet the budget. It has to be something we are able to afford and also it should address our specific needs.

I would rate it at seven out of 10 because it meets most of our requirements. And judging from the stakeholder's response, they are pretty happy with what we have been giving them as presentations.

it_user846750
Hardware Development Manager with 51-200 employees
Helps manage interactions and resource-leveling across multiple projects

• "The key things are managing interactions, resource allocation, resource-leveling (enterprise) and as a collaborative tool, because we use it across multiple projects at a time."

What is our primary use case?

It performs very well. It's something I'm very familiar with. We use it for project management of hardware and software projects.

How has it helped my organization?

Traditionally, Microsoft Project has only been stand-alone, and we've never used it on a Web basis. Now we use it on a Web basis. It's been absolutely great in that sense, of being collaborative and also for resource-leveling, so that people can see at an instant just where everything is.

What is most valuable?

The key things are

• managing interactions
    • resource allocation
    • resource-leveling, enterprise

What needs improvement?

I think they need more flexibility with licensing, because there are preconceived ideas that don't allow as much flexibility with the various licenses.

Stability is quite good. The only issue I have had in the past is if our internet connection is pretty slow, but that can happen for any package. Other than that, it's fairly good.

Very good. We haven't reached the limit yet, and we're using multiple projects across many sites. So it seems to scale quite well.

We are on online support, but we don't use it that often. We used it on two occasions, mainly to assist in setting up particular scenarios or to trace a bug or problem with the Web server.

The support was good and we have a direct connection with our support service.

We've always used Project to some extent, but it was more stand-alone rather than enterprise. Now we're on an enterprise scheme, it's much more helpful because we've got a global 3D view of projects.

There are several criteria I look for when selecting a vendor:

• ease of use
    • expandability
    • resource-leveling
    • cost of ownership, obviously
    • support needed.

They're the key things.

Very simple. I was reasonably familiar with Project in the first instance, but because we're using it online, Web-based, rather than an on-prem, it was minimal setup from our point of view.

Smartsheet, I think we looked at that. We looked at JIRA in the early phase, but that wasn't portfolio. It was just the normal JIRA bug tracking. We do use that in the company, but not for project management necessarily, more just task tracking.

What other advice do I have?

Research it thoroughly and try to match benefits, rather than just buying features.

Jamie Priestly
    Project Manager at a government with 10,001+ employees
    A single place for all our organisation's project records

What is our primary use case?

It just works. Although, EPM 2010 UI seems a bit dated now that 2016 is available.

How has it helped my organization?

A single place for all our organisation's project records.

What is most valuable?

Deliverables List: Most useful to enable meaningful status reporting at an enterprise level. It enables a minimum viable reporting level for "accidental" project leads who are unfamiliar with scheduling techniques.

What needs improvement?

The new versions appear to address the current UX and an ability to better represent the application of agile management methodologies.

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

A single place for all our organisation's project records.

More than five years.
    Assistant Consultant - Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    Demand workflow, resource management, and SharePoint site integration are valuable features

What is most valuable?

Demand workflow Resource management SharePoint site integration

How has it helped my organization?

Project management.

What needs improvement?

Permission management needs improvement.

More than nine years.

No issues.

Customer Service: A seven out of 10. Technical Support: A seven out of 10.

What is most valuable?

• Demand workflow
    • Resource management
    • SharePoint site integration

How has it helped my organization?

Project management.

What needs improvement?

Permission management needs improvement.

More than nine years.

A seven out of 10.

A seven out of 10.

Senior Consultant | Architect at DHL
    It links company strategy with each project and provides an overview of portfolio projects showing resource, budget and forecast perspectives.

What is most valuable?

From my point of view, there are many features that are valuable for portfolio management, such as linking between company strategy and each project, resource management, overview of portfolio projects and their separate parameters for resources, budgeting and forecasting perspectives.

I also mostly use resource allocation and resource assignments to see an overview of separate resources and specific project allocation.

How has it helped my organization?

After implementing this product, the biggest improvement was with timesheet compliance with company rules, because resources had to write their allocation and time spent on each project, along with tasks across many projects. In addition, resources also had to fill in their non-project time such as administration and vacation. When they submitted their final timesheet, project managers of separate projects had to approve the specific time spent on their project and team leads approved the non-project time. After implementing this product, all project schedules were automatically actualized. This kind of automation was really helpful.

Another improvement was related to project portfolios and the initial decision regarding which new project to start at the moment and which projects should be postponed or canceled for strategic reasons.

What needs improvement?

There is definitely room for improvement with the algorithms that are used for resource allocation. There should be options for using generic algorithms or multi-objective generic algorithms with more inputs from the resource and the HR department. This should really improve the way resources are allocated to separate project tasks. At the moment, there are parameters such as resource allocation, personal calendar and availability of resource. Also the role or added primary skill of resource, but nothing else.

I used this product at my previous two jobs/companies, and I also have been implementing this product since version 2007 to different customers for almost six years, together with configuration, integration and training.

There are no issues with deployment when the implementation company realizes what the deployment needs as prerequisites and which steps need to be done during the process. There are also many best practices, as well. Of course, they should take into consideration many issues related to security, to database maintenance and to resources, as well.

I also had some issues with patch management, where clients have different versions of operating systems, Microsoft Office, Project Professional, etc. There needs to be some rules and policies, as in every other information system implementation.

I have not encountered any stability issues. I always had patch management policies and all the issues were with SharePoint Server Platform or with Project Server Queue, but this weren’t stability issues. J

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Well, the Project Server product isn’t often installed to be honest and there aren’t many people with deep-dive knowledge, so many times we use Google searches for troubleshooting.

I did not previously use a different solution. Some customers use Excel to drive projects, some of them use Primavera or some cloud-based products like Trilio, etc.

Initial setup was complex from the point of view of the complete implementation. Setup of the product from the installation point of view was simple, because it is only an add-on for SharePoint Server. In SharePoint Server 2016, Project Server is only a new service, which can be turned on or off.

I work for a reseller as the Head of the Microsoft Department and as the Principal Architect. The level of expertise on my team is good J

If there processes already exist in the company, let’s say 1-1.5 year ROI; otherwise, about three years.

Well, for the on-premise version, there are only CAL licences, not any other types, so you only need to buy a Project Server licence and then CAL licences for access. Important and often problematic are licences for SQL Server, or Windows Server (the domain controller is important).

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a system integrator and Silver Microsoft Partner.
    it_user528354
    PMO Professional at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

• Ease of use.
    • Adaptability.
    • Stability.

How has it helped my organization?

• The centralization of all projects baselines in Project Server gave us control over the process. Additionally, we unified the information into just one source to report indicators, progress, milestones, and much more.
    • Microsoft Project Server gave us an easy way to list and classify our projects, creating great views for a high quantity of information with the Project Web Application.
    • We can now define our own project indicators and performance KPI’s, according to our project process. During the last 4 years we have used Project Server to save more than 400 baselines.

What needs improvement?

I think that "earned value calculation" could be improved, and also the relationship between time and cost, that sometimes does not allow adjustments during execution.

I have used this for 10 years.

I did not ecnounter any stability issues.

There were no scalability issues. We have more than 400 projects on our Project Server database, and everything works fine.

Technical support was adequate.

We did not use any previous solution.

Initial setup was hard work, but I wasn't involved.

Scope your needs carefully, in order to get exactly what you want.

We did not evaluate alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

I wasn’t involved during implementation.

it_user574122
    Sr Technical Consultant at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    It has improved the structured PMO process and implementation.

What is most valuable?

The project management, scheduling and resource management features are most valuable to us.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the structured PMO process and implementation in our organization.

What needs improvement?

The stability and performance in enterprise-grade farm implementations needs to be improved.

I have been using the current version for the last four months. The old versions I have used for around six years, i.e., 2010 and 2013.

There are issues with bugs and things break, when the scale is increased.

We encountered scalability issues, i.e., the features were breaking. …

What needs improvement?

There are issues with bugs and things break, when the scale is increased.

We encountered scalability issues, i.e., the features were breaking.

I would give the technical support a 8/10 rating.

Previously, we were using a different technology.

The setup process requires technical operations.

You should buy as much as is necessary.

We did not evaluate other options but we have used other similar tools.

What other advice do I have?

Planning and expertise is required.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're strategic partnets.
    Maciej Wrzód
    Vice President at MVProject
    It has a good scheduling engine and the latest version has nice reports.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft Project Professional is the best client application (and is also used in competitors’ solutions) because it has:

• Good scheduling engine
    • Nice reports in the latest version of the product

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us a clear view for the whole portfolio of our projects.

What needs improvement?

• Resource reservation workflow
    • Financial management

I have used the Microsoft Project Server (and MS Project Central) platform for 10 years.

I only encountered stability issues with the 2010 version.

I only encountered scalability issues with the 2010 version.

The number of partners offering support is one of the highest for PPM solutions.

I did not previously use a different solution. I have always used Project Server.

Initial setup is not as easy as it looks on first impression.

This is probably the cheapest TCO enterprise PPM solution on market.

Before choosing this product, I compared it to Planview and HP PPM.

What other advice do I have?

I advise not doing it by yourself; use an experienced Microsoft PPM Partner.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a Microsoft Partner that implements this solution to end customers. We also use this system for ourselves.
    it_user438309
    Project Management Analyst at a manufacturing company with 201-500 employees
    It strikes the fine balance between being a project management tool and a management tool.

What is most valuable?

This product gives the ability to have all project data in one location and look across information while still giving PMs the flexibility to manage their project and have a tool to use with their team (fine balance between project management tool and management tool).

• Views can be controlled organization role.
    • Custom attributes can be added as trigger levels to include in a management report, view or dashboard
    • The use of SharePoint allows team collaboration and gives the PM the flexibility to add document libraries, lists, etc. to manage their project.

How has it helped my organization?

Dashboarding of information has given the organization insight, so we can move to be more proactive versus reactive.

What needs improvement?

Risk Management: Risk and issues are stored in the project SharePoint but there is no real auto communication of assignments (unless the end user sets it up); there is no mechanism for automatic escalation (much needed).

Issues are visible within the application (My issues area) so individuals can log in and see issues assigned to them.

Project Managers can set up email communications when issues change. (Admin can’t do it across the board but individual PMs can set up.)

We flag issues that need to be escalated and use SSRS reports that are emailed out at regular intervals.

I implemented Project Server in November 2014 (and have used MS Project since 2000).

Nintex workflow integration does give us some performance delays. Workflow response times can take up to 20 minutes to proceed to the stage (this is a work-in-progress for our IT team).

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

We used Business Engine Network for 12 years. Business Engine Network was bought by Planview and sunsetted. We were geared up to implement Planview’s product when the opportunity arose for us to look at MS Project Server. While Planview is a great portfolio management tool, its project management is weak.

We used a third-party supplier, Pcubed, for initial setup.

Pricing varies according to many variables (on premise, MS hosted, third-party hosted, etc.)

What other advice do I have?

Having a PM business process in place prior to tool implementation to support that project not only makes it easier to configure the tool but makes it easier to grow the tool and become more mature in your business process.

Analytics & Technologies Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees

Valuable Features:

There are a few valuable features for us, including the dashboards, the reports it can generate, the projects function, and the timeline feature.

Improvements to My Organization:

It's certainly increased our productivity. It also helps each of our business groups with maintaining transparency and to keep track of projects and tasks. We're able to share information with each other as well.

Room for Improvement:

There are formatting issues that haven't been resolved. This needs improvement as it's annoying.

Deployment Issues:

We haven't had any issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We haven't had issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We haven't had issues with scalability.

Valuable Features:

Improvements to My Organization:

Room for Improvement:

Deployment Issues:

We haven't had any issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We haven't had issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We haven't had issues with scalability.

it_user309312
    ERP Project Manager at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
    It helped standardize project management practices, but it should be made easier for integration to the existing portfolios.

What is most valuable?

It provides us with complete visibility of resource allocation on a global team.

How has it helped my organization?

It forced the organization to implement standard project management practices.

What needs improvement?

Make transitions easier to implement, e.g. if a new portfolio comes along, it should be easy to integrate to the existing portfolios.

I've used it for less than one year.

It's good.

It's good.

No previous solution was used.

We used a vendor team.

We've not measured it.

We also looked at SAP PPM.

What other advice do I have?

Plan, plan, plan. Make sure you understand your organizational needs and you know the process forward and backwards. The software is just a tool, if you do not understand what you're fixing, there is no way the software will help.