Microsoft Project Overview

Microsoft Project is the #3 ranked solution of our top Project Management Software. It's rated 4.1 out of 5 stars, and is most commonly compared to monday.com: Microsoft Project vs monday.com

What is Microsoft Project?

Microsoft Project helps you get started quickly and execute projects with ease. Built-in templates and familiar scheduling tools help project managers and teams stay productive.

Microsoft Project is also known as Project Pro.

Microsoft Project Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Project Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2020

Microsoft Project Customers

Aston Martin, ABANCA, Airbus Group, Capita, Cardiff University, City of Saskatoon, Intel, Pegasus Airlines, South Australia Power Network (SAPN), Israeli Ministry of Construction and Housing

Microsoft Project Video

Microsoft Project Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Review2077
Senior Consultant, Financial Services - IT Advisory Services at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Nov 15, 2018
There needs to be better integration with other Microsoft products. Tech support needs improvement.

What is our primary use case?

They have moved from a paper to a project management tool. That's the big change. Earlier, they were using papers and then they started using Project Professional to run their project server, it's a huge change and a huge transition.

What needs improvement?

I think they've begun to improve with the new cloud integration. Previously, this was an issue. Now, I don't think there are any further changes that need to be done for the cloud issue. There needs to be better integration between SharePoint and other Microsoft platforms and this solution. Furthermore, there should be a better integration with the use of the cloud and mobile devices.

What do I think about the stability of the

Jamie Priestly
Project Manager at a government with 10,001+ employees
Nov 14, 2018
It's pretty straightforward to use. It integrates nicely with Microsoft Project Server.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is to take advantage of Microsoft Project Server to plan and track program project work at an enterprise level. Particularly, to enable tracking of actual project and program costs across multiple business lines.

• It's most useful feature is that it interfaces with Project Server so we can, from my perspective, from a portfolio perspective, we can see across the organization.
  • The scalability is co-dependent on the stability of the product. We have 4000 users, and at times the product is slow.
  • The packaging of Microsoft Project Professional is pretty simple as a product. But, the end-to-end enterprise is complex.

Cost and Licensing Advice

• I am not involved with this.

What other advice do I have?

My suggestion is to do homework and compare what other products are out there and how well they will fit with your organisation. This one's okay. I've personally used a range of different products, all potentially good choices, it just depends on the operating context and culture of the organization whether it's going to fit, or not.
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Project. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2020.
447,546 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Darwin Reynell Nava Fernández
Project Leader at Plataforma de Comunicaciones Platcomm - Cibersys
Oct 23, 2018
Combined with a project management methodology such as PMI, it is effective for monitoring and control.

What is our primary use case?

* To manage projects in the area of telecommunications and infrastructure * The control of time and money is paramount in today's world, with this tool it is possible to assign activities, resources, periods of duration, calculation of costs, calculation of deviations, reporting, among others. * The monitoring, control and corrective actions are possible with this tool.