Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Overview

Microsoft Remote Desktop Services is the #2 ranked solution of our top Virtual Desktop tools. It's rated 3.9 out of 5 stars, and is most commonly compared to TeamViewer: Microsoft Remote Desktop Services vs TeamViewer

What is Microsoft Remote Desktop Services?
Remote Desktop Services is a server role in Windows Server that provides technologies that enable users to access session-based desktops, virtual machine-based desktops, or applications in the data center from both within a corporate network and from the Internet. Remote Desktop Services enables a rich-fidelity desktop or application experience, and helps to securely connect remote users from managed or unmanaged devices.

Microsoft Remote Desktop Services is also known as Remote Desktop Services.

Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2020

Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Customers
Bank Alfalah Ltd.
Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Video

Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Software Reviews

reviewer968307
Product Owner IT Services at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Dec 31, 2019
It's predictable but they need to develop better support for remote desktops for alternative platforms

What is our primary use case?

We use Remote Desktop Services for a few things. My experience started with Microsoft Remote Desktop when I tried to reuse really low power desktop machines to turn them from these desktop machines into class remote desktop terminals. That is my initial experience with Microsoft Remote Desktop. My most current experience with Microsoft Remote Desktop is using a specific Microsoft product on the servers where you don't have any chance to administer them using the web browser. SCCM, active directory administration and other Wintel server roles are most handy and the most secure to administer… more »

• I like that it works. In most cases, it's predictable. You know what you get.
  • Microsoft still has some really bad remote desktop appliance for Mac.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend going with this solution because I wouldn't recommend going for a big enterprise setup. I would rate it a four out of ten. In the next release, they should develop better support for remote desktops for alternative platforms. It's really lacking consistency. If I have to support terminal server clusters and I have to do change management on the big cluster, then I actually run into a lot of issues both on the Microsoft Remote Desktop as well as Citrix. They should provide a consistent user experience. It's a pain to roll out changes into a different mode of the cluster…
reviewer1212501
Information Systems Consultant with 51-200 employees
Dec 17, 2019
Reliable, easy to use, and easy to integrate with a security framework

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to improve mobility and to access current sessions from different locations.

• It's almost an out of the box function once you have installed the other components.
  • In the next release, I would like to see better performance over slower networks, and integration with Linux, but this is something that we're going to get out of Microsoft in terms of a unified solution.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution, and especially if you already have Microsoft running then it's probably one of the better solutions to choose from. I am not sure whether it's the best future cross-platform solution when we are running multiple workstation environments with different platforms. I am really happy with Microsoft Remote Desktop Services in our current environment. We have no issues at the moment. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Remote Desktop Services. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2020.
447,228 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1338708
Microsoft UC Solutions Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
May 8, 2020
Good remote application access that can be allowed on a per-user or per-group basis

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution integrator and Microsoft Remote Desktop Services is one of the products that we have been implementing for our clients. This software provides a Windows 10 desktop on a virtual machine. It's a multi-session VDI solution that allows people to work from home. It allows users to access company resources and applications, which is important because we don't want them using their personal home networks to access corporate devices. This helps prevent problems such as the introduction of a computer virus from home to office.

• The most valuable feature is the remote application access.
  • There are problems with using Microsoft Teams within a virtual desktop on a mobile device.

Cost and Licensing Advice

• It will probably cost about $500 USD to get the resources set up in the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to first ensure that the network is set up properly. The applications need to be set up properly because if the applications are being used on-premises, but the virtual machines are stored in the cloud, then you will incur additional charges for accessing them. This is a good solution, although it is still new compared to some other remote desktop services that have been out there for a very long time. It still has room for improvement such as accessing the microphone for Android remote access. Because of this, using it on an Android…
Geeth Shammika
System Engineer at KBSL Information Technologies
Apr 17, 2020
Easy to set up, quick to deploy, and the desktop virtualization is good

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is a product that we implement for our customers. We use Microsoft RDS in conjunction with VMware for desktop virtualization.

• The most valuable features are the desktop session and desktop virtualization.
  • My customers are worried that the RDP protocol can be easily compromised and would like the option to use an alternative like Blast.

Cost and Licensing Advice

• The solution has a perpetual license and it is purchased upfront.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is that it is really easy to set up and it can be deployed in an urgent manner, depending on the environment. If you need remote access and do not have the expertise, yet it is an emergency situation, then this could be a great product. If you're looking for a good end-user experience and you're concerned about all of the features, then Microsoft does not have all that VMware does. It can do almost everything, but there are some features that it does not support. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
Ahmed Saad
Tellers at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 22, 2020
Feature-rich, integrates well between PowerPoint and Excel, and it's easy to use

What is our primary use case?

I am using this product to do my PowerPoint presentations, keep my records, and perform my database queries. I also use it for integration.

• Everything is really good and it works well.
  • The user interface needs improvement.

Cost and Licensing Advice

• It's not an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

I plan to use this product in the future. It's something that is important in my life. Most of my friends use this product and I recommend it. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.
reviewer1353171
Senior Technical Consultant - Private Sector at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Oct 3, 2020
Stable and scalable application virtualization that is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for application virtualization, actual application location, and location setting.

• The most valuable feature is ease of use.
  • I would like to see a web-based interface, instead of client installation to refresh the UI through HTML.

Cost and Licensing Advice

• It's not an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are using a lot of Microsoft technologies. We have also tested their virtual desktop on Azure. I would rate Microsoft Remote Desktop Services an eight out of ten.
reviewer1353171
Sep 28, 2020
Easy to use, and provides for application sharing

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this product for application virtualization and application sharing.

• The most valuable feature is the ease of use.
  • I would like to be able to access the remote desktop using a web-based interface, rather than having to use the client.

Cost and Licensing Advice

• Although not an expensive product, pricing is always something that can be improved.

reviewer937473
Systems Administrator at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 24, 2020
Easy to configure and provides full accessibility to my servers

What is our primary use case?

This is our primary tool for monitoring our services.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it gives me full accessibility to my servers. It is easy to configure.

What needs improvement?

Security in the connection between us and our clients' servers is something that can be improved.

We have been using Remote Desktop Services for about ten years.

This solution is extremely stable and we use it on a daily basis.

In my office, we have about ten people who are using Microsoft RDS.

We have not contacted Microsoft support for…
See 3 more Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Reviews
Download our free Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Product Categories