Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Overview

Microsoft Remote Desktop Services is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Virtual Desktop tools. It is most often compared to VMware Horizon View: Microsoft Remote Desktop Services vs VMware Horizon View

What is Microsoft Remote Desktop Services?
Remote Desktop Services is a server role in Windows Server that provides technologies that enable users to access session-based desktops, virtual machine-based desktops, or applications in the data center from both within a corporate network and from the Internet. Remote Desktop Services enables a rich-fidelity desktop or application experience, and helps to securely connect remote users from managed or unmanaged devices.

Microsoft Remote Desktop Services is also known as Remote Desktop Services, MS Remote Desktop Services, MS Remote Desktop Services, MS Remote Desktop Services.

Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Customers
Bank Alfalah Ltd.
Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

UD
‎Database Administrator with 51-200 employees
Stable solution for remote desktop services

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for remote desktop services.

What needs improvement?

We find the services are not as transparent as we would like for our integration with Citrix.

More than five years.

Stability is quite good.

We currently have 300 users. We do not have any current plans to increase the usage. It is scalable for our needs.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment took only two hours. We did it all in-house.

The pricing is moderate.
it_user125988
Client Technologies Manager at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
The most valuable features are resilience and thin provisioning.

What other advice do I have?

* We have found this to be very stable with a quite straightforward setup. However, Single Sign-On (SSO) certificates are a little fiddly. * Ensure that the underlying infrastructure is fully tested, robust, and scalable. * Our early problems stemmed from our hypervisor issues. Because clients only heard it was the RDS farm, I took a lot of heat on issues that were out of my control.
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Remote Desktop Services. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user521823
Enterprise Sales Engineer with 201-500 employees
The app that they provide works off Mac and Windows.

What other advice do I have?

I would say absolutely get this product. For enterprise usage, I don't know how viable it would be. I am not very aware of all the capabilities within that app. The idea is that if you are setting up separate VNs, you have to click on to get connected to each VN. It doesn't sound intuitive to me. If they have an enterprise offering that goes away from that experience, I think it would be usable. But for just managing your own VN form, it is real easy. It's a personal VN form.
it_user522144
Programmer Analyst at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It's compatible with Mac. I can do tasks that require Windows. For example, Excel field add-ons.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend it. You can actually use it. I have worked as an intern in Electronic Arts and they do use it.
it_user522159
Management at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It gives me secure access into my system at work and is stable.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion, important factors while selecting a vendor are reliability, support (if needed) and scalability of the solution.
Infrastructure Specialist at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It offers load balancing among RDS Host servers, with optional High Availability. Installation of applications on an RDS farm should be controlled and automated.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to start in a lab environment to thoroughly test your infrastructure setup and configuration. Use User CALs, they give much lower TCO. Also, for applications you envision to provision on RDS, test whether they install correctly on Windows Server.
Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Pros:- The client is included with every version
Pros: - The client is included with every version of Windows shipped, is available for iOS and Mac as well. - The client is incredibly versatile, and allows for use of a server/computer like you are sitting in front of it. Cons: - The server is only active on certain versions of Windows. - Bandwidth may affect the UE. - Remote access from another network requires port forwarding or VPN access. RDP provides a secure connection to your remote machine, and is included in Windows without any additional licensing cost (limited to a certain number of machines however).
it_user5520
Network Manager at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
Remote desktop services is top rated while providing convenience and security.

What other advice do I have?

For all users that love the convenience of being able to work from any location. Provides a secure network connection. There is the potential of lowering developers cost. A great way to get more work from your employees at all times.
Product Categories
Remote Access Virtual Desktop
Download our free Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.