Microsoft Teams OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Teams is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Social Software. It is most often compared to Atlassian Confluence: Microsoft Teams vs Atlassian Confluence

What is Microsoft Teams?

At Microsoft, our mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our mission is grounded in both the world in which we live and the future we strive to create. Today, we live in a mobile-first, cloud-first world, and the transformation we are driving across our businesses is designed to enable Microsoft and our customers to thrive in this world.

We do business in 170 countries and are made up of 114,000 passionate employees dedicated to fulfilling our mission of helping you and your organization achieve more.

Microsoft Teams is also known as MS Teams.

Microsoft Teams Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Teams Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Microsoft Teams Customers
Honeywll, AIRFRANCE, AccuWeather, Lilly
Microsoft Teams Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Teams pricing:
  • "Pricing is free to a threshold and then after that you have to license per user."
  • "The pricing for Teams is very competitive."

Microsoft Teams Reviews

Tom Brouillette
Senior Principal Consultant at NCS Partners
Continuous stream of significant improvements Simple conferencing, seamless integration with Outlook and easy to use on mobile devices

• "This solution is great for ad hoc video conferencing. It's so easy to start a meeting."
  • "The solution should standardize the options across platforms. What I mean by that is, sometimes, on the mobile, there are not the same options and set up features and functions as are available on the web or on the desktop app. Everything should have the exact same functionality, otherwise, it's difficult if some people are on mobile and others are on desktop."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for team conversations.

For example, I use it for filing team documents, although, for individual notes and things of that nature, I might use OneNote. I'm using it more and more now for video conferencing within the organization. I haven't really used it too much outside of the organization, although my plan is to use it outside of the company in the near future.

Began using for team documents and plans.

Teams provides a strong capability to consolidate all collaborative capabilities related to a team in one platform.  This is especially important for project teams where the team members are spread across geographic locations and time zones.
Incorporates improve and new collaborative tools such as Lists, Plans, Tasks into the tool that integrate into Outlook for notification and response to the assignements.  These capabilities are truly game changing in project management and delivery in the COVID-19 world

How has it helped my organization?

In the past three months of continuous improvements the tools have improved and simplified collaborative efforts dramatically

This solution is great for ad hoc video conferencing. It's so easy to start a meeting. We're finding more and more uses for the Teams video conferencing features. I'll be honest, it's a bit of a challenge for people to use the video aspect. The tendency for people is to not turn on their camera because they don't like the way they look or they're not able to sit in their pajamas during meetings if there's video involved. However, it's been a game-changer since the pandemic as it allows us to keep in touch with our teams remotely.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft has delivered integrated tools and collaborative capabilities that continue to strengthen and bring great value to Teams.  This positions Teams as the collaborative tool that will soon become the standard in the market for capabilities.  The document and plans/assignment improvements are game changes from a simplicity and functionality perspective.

I really like the video conferencing, and the reason is because of the simplicity of scheduling and using the software. Since I'm using Outlook for my email and calendar management, and it's connected with everything. It's just a click of a button to schedule a meeting, and then, to activate or to start the meeting, it's just another click of a button. Everything is streamlined and simple.

The seamless integration and easy coordination with mobile devices is a wonderful aspect of the solution. It's great that, even if I'm not at my desk, I can still attend the Teams video conference and interact in the same way that I would if I were at my desktop.

There's an option to blur the background or to completely change your background. That's very helpful as we now use the solution to replace stand-up meetings. It removes background distractions for other users and allows participants to have a bit of privacy.

I have a regular meeting with a couple of people on my team, and normally, we would meet at somebody's desk or in an office or in the conference room. With Teams, we can all attend, and all see each other and we can have the same outcome as we would if we were all in the same room. While digital meetings as opposed to in-person meetings takes a bit of time to get used to, the learning curve is short because of the seamless integration.

What needs improvement?

What would really help is extending the time that you're active on the mobile device because I can't find a way in Teams to restart the app automatically. For instance, in Teams, we use it as an organization for instant messaging and for text messaging. The problem is if I restart my mobile device, I have to remember to restart Teams in order to get the text messages on my device. It's not automatic.

I've been using the solution for year now.

I haven't run into a problem with stability and I have not experienced any crashes, bugs, or glitches in the Teams App. You must remember this is a web app though.  Any performance or stability issues that I have experienced were related to Internet service issues and not the Teams App.

I haven't run into a problem with the scalability of the solution. I've used it at my last job with teams that are as small as 15 people and the thing that's nice about it is that I can be part of a dozen teams and it easily maintains the communication to all the teams separately so conversations stay organized.

We're business consultants, and, right now, there are about a dozen of us using it. The consultants are located in different geographic areas of the US, and there are even people working in India that are using Teams. Geographically, the solution expands to make communication possible anywhere.

The organization I work with now, as I understand it, has plans for increasing usage. Right now, it's rather limited in terms of who is using it. Maybe 20% of the people on staff are and there's about a hundred people on staff in total. 20% of those people using Teams in a relatively limited way. Frankly, I'm trying to encourage people to use Teams and drop other video conferencing tools.

I don't know how technical support is, to tell the truth. The type of technical troubleshooting I use for Teams is basically just seeking answers on the internet. I typically Google something if I don't understand an aspect of the solution.  There are community boards and that sort of thing. It's worked out pretty well for me. I've never had a crash or a bug though, so I've never had to reach out to technical support to get them to get me back online or to sort out an issue of that nature.

We haven't used a different solution previously. This is the first video conferencing suite we've adopted in the company.

The initial setup is web-based in terms of the style of set up and is very straight forward. I use the web-based setup because I wanted my experience to be the same no matter what device I use. As an example, I can use my work laptop, or my Chromebook or tablet and I have the capabilities to see and interact in the same way.

There's an initial challenge though because if people that have the app have it installed on their laptop, for instance, and they're running an application on their device, it has a different look and feel compared to what's on the web version.

We have one person to deploy and maintain the solution. It's actually a part-time role. It's one of the consultants who maintain it as part of his other duties. He's in charge of desktop devices and desktop applications.

When a new person needs to be added, he just sets up the laptop and gets everything ready. He also maintains the license. With Microsoft 365, it's pretty straightforward. I just access the Office app or service and it installs directly. I may access the app through the cloud anyhow, so there's really no maintenance to do.

We have an employee in house that maintains the licensing, however, we install the solution ourselves for the most part.

I don't handle the payments for the service. It's not my department.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution. We just get the solution from the cloud, so it's always the most up-to-date option.

I've noticed, since the pandemic, that, as of maybe three or four months ago, Teams was much more widely accepted in Europe than in North America. I believe this is starting to change.  Recently though (late 2020) this has changed and especially since the roll-out over the summer and fall of improvements in collaborative document, planning and tracking capabilities.

I would recommend marketing the tool to people by showing demos of the capabilities for people and actual use cases. If I were trying to bring this into a new company I would ask people what they were doing for communicating with teams, or how they were using text messages, collaboration tools, video conferencing currently, etc., so that I could actually demonstrate how to do that same thing.

There's literally hundreds of text tools, collaboration apps and video conferencing options on the market. The key to a business' success at communication is to ensure the various teams are all on the same platform or using the same tool.

That doesn't mean everyone in the company needs to use it the same way. If they're using the same tools, then at least, the base platform is the same and your company can build on that. Rather than Google docs for one thing and Microsoft Teams and, OneDrive, SharePoint, and all of these different tools, you've got to kind of pick a lane.

I would rate the solution overall at about an eight out of ten. That's due to the simplicity and ease of use. There are great features available. However, it loses a few points because the setup and the admin capabilities are different across platforms.

Jelle Verbeeck
Proposal Manager at Data Unit NV
Easy integration with other Microsoft products, very stable, and simple to set up

• "The integration of online jobs and documents is one of the most valuable aspects of the solution. The ability to integrate tasks and to assign tasks to certain people is great."
  • "I don't like the online version of Word and Excel. It skews the layout. It is no longer representative of the layout that you actually have in a document. You always have to open it in the desktop application to get an accurate representation of how the document will look."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Teams is used, in our case, to collaborate with all internal employees, to work on offering some proposals, and to work together online on files in Word and Excel. We largely use it to collaborate online and to have video meetings with customers.

We can integrate SharePoint sites with other people. We have libraries that are available within Teams so that people can sync those libraries to their local drives and therefore will have the most up to date information and documents at their disposal.

What is most valuable?

The integration of online jobs and documents is one of the most valuable aspects of the solution. The ability to integrate tasks and to assign tasks to certain people is great.

What needs improvement?

I'm really waiting for the release of Lists to be included. Lists is a new feature that will probably come into Teams in August. It will be a way of using some sort of database to enter interlinked lists.

If you open a document in Teams, it opens online first. If you have, for instance, an entire image on the front page, that image is descaled to the right and to the bottom. So you have a lot of white space on the page, while in reality, it's pretty nicely aligned. You basically have a borderless page. That's one of the main things that they can improve on. If they had a workaround where you can open it in the desktop apps first, it would be better.

The solution needs to adjust the number of protected channels within a team.

The solution should maybe include breakout rooms within a team meeting. For example, let's say you are with 10 people, within one meeting space. You can have three accounts in separate smaller "meeting rooms" with just two or three people accessing them and still be within the same larger meeting environment. Let's say if you have a team where you have some technical members, some solution architects, a bid manager, a capture manager, an account manager, etc., you should be able to break up a meeting into multiple smaller sessions on certain topics, and yet still stay within the same meeting space.

They should include a visual application also within Teams, so drawings that are made can attach to that space within the proposal with the ability to add Word or Excel files, as well as tasks, etc.

We've been using the solution for two years now. That's well before everyone started using conferencing systems during COVID-19.

It's a stable solution. We haven't had any hiccups. Its been working flawlessly for the two years that I'm using it now.

The solution is easy to scale, however, you need to take into account best practices so that you don't lose oversight on the number of teams that you have.

There are other things that can be improved of in terms of scaling. For the moment, you can have approximately 5,000+ different teams within your Office 365 license. In each team, you can have multiple channels. The number of channels with limited access rights is limited to 256 or 250. If you create a channel where you want to find all your different projects and you have more than 250 customers within one team, you run into issues. Then you have to create separate teams for each customer. In those teams, you have various possibilities on channels. We started using a team, for instance, for customer projects. However, in customer projects, you are limited. It's only on about 25 channels that you can give access rights to certain people. If you are working on the project with company X together for a customer, you don't want them to see another project for another customer with a competing solution. That's the tricky part.

That was a limitation that we encountered with scaling. We changed the approach from having a team customer project to creating teams for each customer where we have projects.

Currently, in our organization, we have 250 employees using Teams. We use it quite extensively every day.

We haven't really reached out to technical support. If we need support, we first reach out to our IT department and they will figure it out on our behalf, or contact Microsoft directly. In my experience, until now, with Office 365, I haven't had any issues. I'm satisfied with the product but I can't speak to any specific experience related to customer service.

We use a bunch of solutions at any given time. We have Cisco Webex, for example. We also have the Mitel My Call app and for some of our customers, we also need to use Zoom and BlueJeans. So we have quite a few solutions that are active.

If you look at just the feature of video conferencing and you look at Zoom and BlueJeans and Microsoft Teams, they're all pretty much alike. It's mainly the integration of everything document-wise and the consistency that I really liked within Microsoft Teams.

Out of all of the other solutions, BlueJeans is the one that I found the least reliable. We had quite a few hiccups where we eventually fell back to Cisco WebEx for video conferencing instead of the BlueJeans solution.

Then we have Zoom, which I have less experience with. It's used by a few vendors with whom we collaborate from time to time. They use Zoom predominantly, so when we conference with them, it's largely through that.

In terms of Cisco WebEx, the thing that I don't like is that if someone invites you for a meeting and you connect to the meeting early, you don't get notified when the meeting actually starts, so you constantly have to reload until the meeting organizer starts the meeting and accepts you. For instance, last week, I went into a Cisco WebEx meeting. I connected two minutes before the actual time that the meeting should have started. I opened the WebEx application and the meeting didn't start. 10 minutes later, I reloaded the application and reconnected to the session and they were already actively meeting. The application didn't notify me when the meeting actually started. That's a big drawback.

The solution is installed by our IT department. In the beginning, we had some issues with assigning rights. Not everybody was able to create a team or to invite people into a team or to share files. However, now they have changed a few things around. There are quite a few people now that can create teams, add members, etc., and you can add external members and there are a few new policies internally about best practices.

I was one of the first parties to implement a solution like Teams. Our company bought a few companies and every company was using different tools as their main resource. The one thing that they all had in common was Microsoft Office 365, and yet they didn't use Teams at that time. I was one of the people asking our organization to implement Teams because my position requires me to have to collaborate with people from all of the different companies that our company bought.

The deployment was done in less than a week. That was due largely due to the availability of our IT staff. Once they began doing the implementation, however, it was done within a few hours. It was activated, rights were assigned, and people with rights could begin working and downloading the team's application on smart devices, on their computers almost right away.

It's as easy as using Skype for a private person. You just download the application and you can start.

What other advice do I have?

I believe we've been using the latest versions of the solution. We use whichever version is pushed out with Office 365.

I would recommend the product. It works with everything. I have an iPad Pro, I have an iPhone, I have my computer. It's installed on all three devices. It works flawlessly.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten, simply because there are a few things the solution still needs to improve upon.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Teams. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
540,694 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PR
Global Internal Communications Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Enhances workplace communications and adds new features almost daily

• "It is an excellent all-around communications tool that works well for business purposes."
  • "It may be a little daunting to learn and is still a tool in development."

What is our primary use case?

I think we're use Microsoft Teams for almost everything when it comes to communications. When I call my colleagues, I no longer using the phone. Because I use Teams so much, I picked up the phone the other day and it was strange — It was like it was the first time I picked up the phone. I use Teams as a phone. Even on my smartphone, I call people using Teams.

We're using Teams to call people to set meetings, record meetings, share documents — all communication now goes through Teams. We create groups to share our documents and update them live. It is really very practical and collaborative.

How has it helped my organization?

It is improving our means of communication and I think in the future will encourage users to communicate better because it is fun to use and powerful.

What is most valuable?

The features that I like the most are the features we have now. I like every aspect of it. It is easy to use. It's on your phone, so it is mobile. You can respond without answering if you have a call or message. You can send emoticons so people know you have gotten their message. This type of response is very quick and doesn't leave the other party waiting. Those features are just like what you might do in WhatsApp or Messenger on Facebook. It is very familiar to anyone using those products.

One thing that we are looking to deploy — and we are testing it now — is to send and track kudos. We want to implement this new feature on a worldwide basis to thank team members for being good participants.

What needs improvement?

We work directly with Microsoft to provide feedback on the product and what we would like to see as improvements. I discover a new feature every day, so they're really working to develop it very quickly.

I would like also to have a feature where we create a worldwide group to act as a social media hub. The difference between that and groups is that it would be separate from all the other groups. I don't want it included in my Teams because I will use it in a different way. I can see the activity of other teams or individuals who are not on my teams. Because I'm using the product extensively and have many teams, I think it is an important addition to be able to organize groups in different ways — and I have put in that request with IS.

We have been using this solution for a couple of years exclusively.

I've heard some people complain and say, "Oh it's not working with me," but I never had any issue with Teams. I use it all the time and it is stable. It opens immediately when I open my computer, it's on my phone and it sends me notifications.

I have calls with people on it. Sometimes I even record video calls. The only time I have had any issues is when the network is not working well — maybe in high load times — but this happens with every means of communication like WhatsApp or other solutions that depend on the network. It isn't a problem with the package it is a problem with the network.

Our company has about 14,000 employees, but we are not all using the intranet. We are an industrial company and we have people working in manufacturing and they don't have access to computers all the time.

As far as scalability, we would like to have the ability to use the product off-site. That is, we want to be able to have remote people use Teams with us internally. This is the only thing I've heard that's posing a problem with scaling.

I have not directly had any experience with the Microsoft technical support team for Teams because we have an IS (Internet Services) group. If we open a ticket, the IS department is the group who will contact support.

Before we tried using Teams, we were using Skype. Now we are only using Teams because it is a more complete and business-oriented tool.

I was not directly involved in the deployment.

Our implementation was done by our own IS team.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people who are considering this solution is that you have to be patient at the beginning. People might think it is too complicated or that it looks too complicated at the beginning. As a first time user, I remember feeling like I didn't understand anything. You have to be patient and play around with it until you become familiar with the different features. For example, there are channels within a group. If you are added to several groups and you start getting alerts, you may not know which channel it is or which group. It is a lot for a first time user to digest. It is not as straightforward as WhatsApp when it comes to groups.

What we have seen is that when we communicate our requests to Microsoft, we are getting back responses with the features we have asked for. There are many features that we request and we discover they are available in just a few days. Either many companies are making the same requests or Microsoft is answering our request, but the product is evolving quickly.

On a scale from one to ten, when one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Microsoft Teams as an eight. While I like the product a lot and I use it all the time, there is room for improvement.

SP
Head of Software department & Head of Security department at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Enables us to track the status of all the different tasks we have created but it is not a complete solution

• "The product is continually growing to add new features and functionality."
  • "The product is immature and lacks some of the features and functionality you would expect in a collaboration tool."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the product for collaboration and planning. We create tasks in the Planner, we can track the status of all the different tasks we have created and we can share the progress we achieve on these tasks between coworkers. It helps us measure progress and to collaborate.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the Teams Planner module. This is a module where we enter projects and tasks that we want to track. We also use the Chats module and find that useful as well to work in conjunction with this tool.

What needs improvement?

One of the places where this product can improve is in file sharing. Using the Planner, it should be easier to link to external files. As the product is set up now, you are obliged to use links to files that will be stored in SharePoint. You cannot integrate files in a node. One of the reasons why we prefer using Trello at this point is because you can add links to the files on each card (project) as you want. It is more open and less limited.

The possibility to attach any kind of content to any card created in Planner is the reason why we didn't stop using Trello completely. With Teams, the constraint regarding the files means we have to separately log on SharePoint and to upload files on to OneDrive to share them. The added complexity means we are losing time over something that should be easier. If this feature could be enhanced so file attachment is easy, I think I would prefer to use Teams instead of Trello.

One functionality that could add value to the product would be better logging of histories. For example, when you've got a conference call and you're using Teams, it would be useful to have a record of the participants in the call. If you have a conference call where there are five participants, the product should be able to record this information as a history of the project without having to ask separately for introductions. Currently, the product is not able to track this information and it doesn't seem that Teams offers the possibility to track the history of the calls that have been completed.

Another feature that would be useful is the ability to create a VCF (Virtual Contact File) directly from an appointment, through the calendar, or through a phone call. It could be great if you just could right-click on the name of the contact and create a VCF file. Later, you will be able to import the contact into Outlook, for example. It could be a very useful time-saver.

We have been using Microsoft Teams for about one year.

I have never noticed any stability issues with Teams, so I think it's good. I don't think there is any need for improvement in that way except to maintain the level of stability as the product develops.

To be honest, we have never explored the possibilities for further expanding the capabilities of the program. I'm quite sure we can explore the addition of features and functionality that do a lot of interesting things. But because it is a bit clumsy to use the file attachments, which is really a basic task I try to avoid using it and I favor the use of Trello instead of Teams. Because we do not currently use it more, we don't do much exploration into scaling it. I don't think there is any real problem with scaling the number of users. But again, we have not been pushing the limitations or the product to scale its use.

We use Teams in the same way that we are using Trello but we lean toward using Trello because of the ability to attach files. So Trello is what we were using before and it is really still what we are using now. We have not migrated to Teams fully although we are using it for some projects and exploring the possibilities.

The product is still developing and may integrate better with Office 365 applications, but there is still a little bit missing in the functionality besides just the file attachments. I think it is possible to improve the interface. A lot of things I would expect to be able to do are currently impossible. I would like to be able to interact with objects better. For example, if you go in the call component and you look at your contacts, you don't have the capability to do much to interact with the contact object. You can launch a conversation and you can make a phone call but you cannot manage the contact object and I wish able to.

For example, you cannot right-click in order to copy the contact to collect the basic information. To be able to create a VCF file would be perfect. But even without going so far, there is a lot of little interaction that would be interesting to be able to do that we cannot. Currently, the product limitations are keeping us from migrating to expanding its use.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Teams as a seven as of now. But the quality of the product is rising from month-to-month. There is a lot of improvement. Microsoft is still developing it in a smart way. But at the moment it is not a complete solution.

Satish Badrinarayan
Associate Director of Technology at Microland Limited
Facilitates collaboration through voice and video calls, document sharing, and knowledge management

• "Microsoft Teams has helped us improve collaboration through the use of chats, as well as conferencing, voice calls, knowledge management, and maintaining a repository."
  • "Microsoft Teams is quite demanding on bandwidth, which has been a problem during the COVID situation because we don't get enterprise-class bandwidth at home."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily we are using Microsoft Teams to facilitate collaboration during events and meetings. All of our meetings are voice and video. We are also using it for document sharing.

We use a file folder structure for maintaining all of our documents. There are version controls for projects that are completed and help to maintain the documentation.

How has it helped my organization?

Microsoft Teams has helped us improve collaboration through the use of chats, as well as conferencing, voice calls, knowledge management, and maintaining a repository. At this time, we spend four or five hours a day communicating using Teams.

What is most valuable?

The main features that we use extensively are voice and video calling. They have improved these features and the improvements are happening continuously.

The other feature that we like is the repository, which is used for knowledge management. It integrates with SharePoint, where we can store and retrieve documents, maintain version control, and collaborate with each other.

I like these aspects of it, but this is a feature-rich product and I am probably not even aware of all the features that it has.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Teams is quite demanding on bandwidth, which has been a problem during the COVID situation because we don't get enterprise-class bandwidth at home. Currently, we use broadband, and even the little variations that happen can throw you out of a meeting. It seems that you get disconnected really fast.

It takes a long time to load, which is something that could be improved.

Having a dial-in feature would be helpful because it would allow more people to be included in meetings.

I have been using Microsoft Teams for almost two years.

This is an extremely stable product and we use it on a daily basis. Since we have been on the cloud, I haven't seen any failures that have been the fault of the service. As long as our internet is up, it is working.

I don't see scalability as an issue. Initially, we had fewer licenses than we do now. As we expanded, we acquired more licenses and added more team members to the platform.

From what I recall, we started with about 500 licenses and we now have closer to 2,000. Two weeks ago, we had about 700 regular users. Adding users was seamless from our perspective, although you have to make sure that your network is configured properly, otherwise, there may be issues with performance.

I do not speak with Microsoft support directly. When I have a problem, I simply call my support staff.

I have used similar solutions and I wouldn't say that Teams has the best in terms of voice and video calling, although I have seen continuous improvement over time and I am happy with that. For example, we used to only see four people on a video call, and it has been increased to nine. These kinds of improvements are good.

On the other hand, when compared to other collaboration software, it is more bandwidth-intensive and takes longer to load. In general, it is heavier.

Prior to using Teams, we had been using Microsoft Exchange 2013. We migrated to Office 365 two years ago, which includes Teams as part of the package. While we were still using Exchange, we ordered Skype. From my perspective, Teams is much more stable than Skype. I found that if we used Skype in a very small network, for example with three routers, then it would work fine. Otherwise, we had issues with quality and stability.

The initial setup is easy, as most products from Microsoft are. It follows the same idea and is not difficult. We have the E3 subscription, so we are always using the latest version.

When we migrated from our Microsoft Exchange platform to Office 365, we had consultants come in to assist us with that. We also had some guidance from Microsoft.

The pricing for Teams is very competitive.

We did look at a couple of other products as well, including Zoom. Because of issues regarding security with Zoom, we only use it very rarely.

What other advice do I have?

Network performance does impact teams, but Microsoft does give recommendations as to how the internet and network should be set up. If you follow these instructions then there will be fewer problems to fix. Essentially, if you are implementing this product then you need to very clearly understand the network requirements. Tweaking things on the network side is very important.

Overall, this is a very good collaboration product and the only thing stopping me from giving it a perfect grade is the heavy bandwidth usage.

Microsoft Azure
AA
Delivery Practice Director at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Great for project collaborations, and for companies with data retention compliancy requirements

• "Message and chat retention is a valuable feature."
  • "Technical support could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We're a tech services company and have numerous use cases for this solution, whether it be for meetings and chat, for collaborations, sharing files, document libraries, collaborating on Word documents and Excel. We use the solution every day, almost as much as we use email. We're partners with Microsoft and I'm the company delivery practice director.

How has it helped my organization?

It's improved our organization by enabling us to create a channel where we collaborate on all the projects and communicate instantly. You can set up a meeting for that channel which links to your personal calendar, it's very good.

What is most valuable?

I believe the chat messaging is a very valuable feature. It's not like Skype or Google Hangouts where you chat and once you're done you'll never find it again. This solution sticks with the chat until it's deleted and it also enables the application of backend retention policies so it can be saved longer. If you need to adhere to any regulation or compliancy regarding data retention you can set policies for that. Within a Teams meeting, you can put in all your meeting notes, whiteboards, all sorts of communication tools that you use. It's a very simple, intuitive platform. The learning curve for clients is minimal.

What needs improvement?

If you're using this product in a big corporation with a lot of data to manage, finding something specific can become very complex and the solution can become a little bit quirky. If I'm searching for a file in Teams, I might not find the relevant information right away. I think the search feature could be improved in that regard although any platform might have issues when dealing with masses of data. It's a management challenge when you're dealing with that amount of data.

I'd like to see better ways of managing data, perhaps create a life cycle, possibilities for deletion or archiving. So, at this point we don't have, there is a way to do that, but it's it's really complex to do. There's a way to do it now but it's very complex.

I've been using the solution for four years.

It's a very stable solution. Once in a while we may have some issues when users complain that things are moving slowly, but I've never experienced outages.

It lives in the cloud, so it's scalable. We're a relatively small company and have approximately 300 users but some of our client companies are huge and can have somewhere between 10,000-30,000 users. We don't have dedicated deployment staff but we have an internal IT department that takes care of things.

The quality of technical support really depends on the tier of support a company has. We don't have any issues because we have a lot of Microsoft and former Microsoft employees, but if we were a client without premier support, then we'd want to see some improvement in the technical support.

We used Skype before moving over to Teams. Some of our clients also use Slack so we use it too. Teams is unique because the other solutions are more for chat or video but lack the collaboration of Teams.

The initial setup is straightforward. Because the software as a service is part of Office 365, it only requires a user a license, and then you can download the product or push it with whatever tools you have, whether it's configuration manager or Intune, you push it to the endpoints. The other way it can be set up is using an SAAS application, where you don't have to worry about infrastructure in the backend, and you just need a good internet connection.

From what I know the licensing comes in a bundle. There is an enterprise license that comes with email, Office Suite like Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and a second possible option without the added features. I believe that the fees are charged based on the number of users.

What other advice do I have?

The transition to this solution is very quick so don't hesitate to give it a go, particularly for anyone already using Microsoft products. If they're using Google or Slack, it depends how they want to consolidate it. The adaptation to this solution is very quick, clients love it and can easily see the power of it. It's a cloud collaboration piece and integrates with products.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Jimmy O'Rourke
Sr. Product Manager - AccuRev at Micro Focus
Easy to share and collaborate while being fully integrated with our teams, culture, and behaviors

• "It is easy to share and collaborate, including built-in, edit-in-place, autosave features, without having to download, edit, save, or upload."
  • "If I could completely eliminate Outlook and only use Teams, that would help me immensely. Productivity would increase drastically and many of our team members would be more efficient in our day-to-day, as we would be living primarily in a single tool."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for all communication between product development, product management, technical support, field teams, and other stakeholders. It is our primary vehicle for all communications. We have used it extensively to share content, such as spreadsheets, docs, PowerPoints, and other product related materials, for R&D and internal teams (e.g., the technical and field teams) as well as customer-facing documentation. With the recent COVID-19 forcing all our team members to work remotely, this solution has been an invaluable resource where we can easily set up virtual meetings (with or without video conferencing).

What is most valuable?

We utilize the chat (with and without video calling) quite a bit as well as the ability to create content and store it. It is easy to share and collaborate, including built-in, edit-in-place, autosave features, without having to download, edit, save, or upload. We take advantage of the Wiki pages to schedule meetings through the calendar, which all but eliminates the need to use Outlook calendar. Teams is fully integrated with our teams, culture, and behaviors. It works as we work and is fairly flexible when configuring things that are team/program specific.

What needs improvement?

If I could completely eliminate Outlook and only use Teams, that would help me immensely. Productivity would increase drastically and many of our team members would be more efficient in our day-to-day, as we would be living primarily in a single tool. I'm not a developer, but if Teams could be integrated with VS or Eclipse to easily share information in a chat panel, such as a task you are working on, roadblocks you may have run into, or if you need approval for something.

This is not critical. It would be a nice feature to be able to have your own background, use a collage (if desired) when doing video calls, or use an animated emoji in place of your video during live chats (as a way to add more personal flavor to your personality).

More than one year.

It is very stable when compared to Fuze and Skype for Business.

So far, it scales well.

Not applicable at this stage.

Yes, we have previously use Fuze as well as Rocket.Chat and Skype for Business. Fuze was unreliable. Skype for Business and Rocket.Chat lacked too many features.

As a large organization, we have used our fair share of tools, such as Skype for Business (S4B), Rocket.Chat, and most recently Fuze. Rocket.Chat is limited to chat only. Although you can share/attach docs, screenshots, and such, there isn't an easy way to organize the collection of data. If your team likes the ability to use a Wiki tool, there is nothing inherently built into Rocket.Chat for this. S4B is limited to video, chatting, and screen shares, lIke Rocket.Chat, for what it does, though it does it fairly well. However, as a tool for collaboration and communication with a team (large and small), S4B is too limited. Fuze, by far, is the worst tool. It was far too unreliable with calls (with or without video). Teams is a blend of Rocket.Chat, S4B, and a "working" version of Fuze.

Straightforward.

Vendor team.

Someone else handles it. I would estimate it has saved an average of at least one hour per day (for myself) as Fuze crashed too often, then I ended up reverting back to Skype for Business or GoToMeeting.

Only Teams.

What other advice do I have?

Mostly, how to use it and best practices (real world compared to what we are using today).

Private Cloud

Other
PM
Associate Vice President - Office of Strategic ManagementVice President - Office of Strategic Management at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Good voice clarity and easy to use but needs a better user interface

• "Organizing a meeting is very simple to do."
  • "It's not as easy to augment your meetings as it is with competitors. For example, in Zoom, if I want to add attendees, I just grab the meeting link and post it to them. With Teams, how to do this is not as clear."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for team meetings. We're still in the process of evaluating the solution, however.

What is most valuable?

The solution provides very clear conferencing, even on mobile devices. The voice clarity is excellent.

Organizing a meeting is very simple to do.

The solution provides for comfortable use. New users are able to navigate it pretty easily.

What needs improvement?

The interface of the solution could use improvement. Right now, the gold standard in terms of team conferencing user interfaces seems to be Zoom. Microsoft Teams should see if they could make their interface and usability as simple as that.

It's not as easy to augment your meetings as it is with competitors. For example, in Zoom, if I want to add attendees, I just grab the meeting link and post it to them. With Teams, how to do this is not as clear.

I'm pretty new to Teams. I've only been using it for the past two months or so.

The stability of the solution is good. The product is reliable in that sense. I haven't experienced crashes. There aren't bugs or glitches that disrupt the user experience.

It's quite easy to scale the solution if you need to. It's possible to add new people into meetings, for example. We haven't had any issues in that sense.

Our IT department is engaging with Microsoft locally. I haven't made contact with technical support personally. As we were offered one free month of service, we're doing some experiments ont he platform.

We are now on Chatter. The entire team is using and Chatter. We have 5,000 Chatter licenses. The entire organization is using it. We are also evaluating Microsoft 365 which includes Teams.

Internally we are using Chatter across the company as of now. We will continue to use Chatter as it is part of our CRM and all the customer and customer service related communication will be through Chatter only. We are planning to use Microsoft Teams as a collaborative platform in the future.

Currently, now the entire communication of the company is between Teams and the corporate office is appraising each solution.

I've used Zoom in the past, as well as WebEx. With Teams, the clarity of the meeting is good, including when you are using it on a wireless device. Zoom, however, has the easiest interface. It's the most popular option currently on the market. Everyone is using Zoom.

WebEx I wouldn't recommend. It takes a lot of bandwidth and is more difficult to use.

The initial setup was a bit complex. I couldn't really follow it very well.

Microsoft offers new users one free month of service, so it's easy to try it out if you want to.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, we're just a customer of Microsoft. We aren't consultants or resellers.

To be honest, everyone is using Zoom these days. The familiarity with that system is higher, and the recommendation for that system is higher.

When I set up Microsoft Teams, people were not very accustomed to how to use it. However, users have found that using it on the laptop is pretty good. Overall the system looks good. That said, when you try to use it on mobile, we've found the bandwidth is higher.

Currently, as a new user, I would rate the solution seven out of ten. If the interface was just a bit better, and it was easier to organize a meeting, I would rate it higher. Generally, it just needs to be tweaked to make it more user friendly.

Although we're not fully subscribed to the solution, I would recommend it to others.