OD
Responsible for recruitment at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good messaging and video calling features that help promote collaboration while working from home

• "The most valuable features are the messaging and the video calling, especially where you can add a background."
  • "It's a bit slow, especially if you are downloading photos."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for video conferencing. We do calls for meetings. We use it for the calendar, the planner, scheduling events, messages for the events, and we can use it for poll voting for certain activities, as well as distributing tasks.

How has it helped my organization?

As a collaborative tool, it is very interesting.

We have improved on teamwork when we can assign projects to each other, and have to popups to tell us when the deadlines are.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the messaging and the video calling, especially where you can add a background. It is very useful during confinement, and working from home.

The video calling is as interesting as Skype, but with a lot more functions with better and easier communication.

It is very quick.

It's a complete solution with video calls, calendars, messaging, downloads, and you can publish things. It's connected and is compatible with other Microsoft products. We don't have a lot of conflicts.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to downloading several documents or sharing documents that are above 450 KB, it takes time. It's a bit slow, especially if you are downloading photos.

There could be more documentation when it comes to the setup when you have other software. It's an annex, it's additional support, not something that the software provides when it's not something that comes with other products that can be connected to it.

I have been working with Microsoft Teams for one year. We use it every day.

We are using the latest version.

The stability seems quite good. It's only been during confinement that we have had some issues, otherwise, it's quite good.

We have 300 users, on a daily basis. It's one of our major tools within the company.

We are using it to its maximum capacity on every aspect, functional and non-functional.

We have not contacted technical support directly. We have our IT who is fully trained with Microsoft. We have not had the need to.

Previously, we were using Skype for conference calling and we found that it was complicated.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. It didn't take much to understand. It is a bit complex to use when you have other software, as it is not very clear in the beginning or if you want to add a Wiki.

The deployment was quick. For the whole company, it took one or two weeks.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good mix of WhatsApp, Viber, and Skype.

The only area that we had concerns with was with messages and not knowing if the messages had been received or read. Now, they have added this feature and we know that it has been received and read.

This tool is very interesting if you have a team of more than 15 people. When you are a small team then you won't use all of its compacity.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using Teams has to do with time management. It has really highlighted how much time I spend in meetings. The tool gives you an analytical aspect, where it helps you to manage and balance your time.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

VB
Senior Project Manager - IT Services at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The collaborative nature of the solution has greatly improved productivity

• "Multiple channels and tools for recording."
  • "Screen sharing sometimes causes the solution to crash."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution both for our internal team as well as with our customers and suppliers who participate in some meetings. We are a corporate partner of Microsoft and have an integrated package with all the licenses from Microsoft. It includes the majority of products such as Office 365, SharePoint, and Azure. I'm the senior project manager, IT services.

How has it helped my organization?

This is a collaboration tool so in the current situation, the most important thing for us is to be able to continue to run our business in a collaborative manner. Given that nobody is working from the office and there's no way to meet formally to discuss key challenges and discuss work updates, moving to this solution was a good option. Since we started using it, our productivity has increased and we are very coordinated with each team member.

What is most valuable?

I think the video calling and the calling facility are valuable features as well as the ability to create multiple channels and tools so that you can record your information. It's a good solution.

What needs improvement?

One of the issues we have is that sometimes when you're trying to share your screen the solution crashes. The problem occurs quite frequently and it's an issue across multiple users. It's been reported to technical support but there seems to be some bug there. That should really be improved. I haven't experienced any other difficulties.

I'd like to have the ability to increase the number of participants in a meeting as an additional feature. For now, you can only see a maximum of nine people in a single screen. I believe that Zoom enables the ability to see 20 plus people during video conferencing. I'd also like to see a screen sharing option which would include sharing of videos.

I've been using this solution for a year.

It's a stable solution, the only challenge being the screen sharing portion and that the solution sometimes crashes when you share your screen. It's hard to say whether this is a Teams problem or our problem.

I think the system is quite scalable.

I think Microsoft technical support is on point. It's good because I was involved in one of the technical issues we were having and they provided us with good support.

The initial setup was very easy. It's deployed on cloud and you just need to set up your organization based on the kind of access you want to give the user. It's very easy to configure. It's not so complicated that you need specialized resources to maintain the administration part of Microsoft Teams.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation is that if you look into the majority of the end users who are using laptops or desktop computers, we're predominantly using the Microsoft operating system and the Microsoft Office network. I think it's better to have one common system which is an integrated solution. It makes it much easier for anyone to get the benefit of this solution.

I would like to see some improvements in this solution but I would still rate it a nine out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Teams. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,027 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SL
Lecturer at a university with 201-500 employees
Microsoft Teams for Scrum during the Pandemic

• "The communication part has been excellent so far."
  • "On rare occasions, it freezes and some people will lose sound or they could lose video."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for communications.

How has it helped my organization?

In regards to COVID and the Pandemic, we would not be able to do our regular job without this mechanism in place.

We do our regular scrum meetings using Microsoft Teams.

We have meetings with the entire company every week. There are hundreds of people connected and it works perfectly in terms of linking people together, showing some content, and showing some slides.

What is most valuable?

I am not familiar with all of the features yet, but some of the features I find to be most valuable are the visual conference call. We all see our videos as well as audios.

The quality is much better than it is with Skype.

There is more clarity and everything is crisper.

We have not been using the collaboration part as much, as we are focusing on the communications rather than document sharing.

The communication part has been excellent so far.

What needs improvement?

While we are still familiarizing ourselves with the features, although I would say that there could be some improvements with some additional stability. For some who connect, and do not have a good connection from home or the internet is not as good, it needs a bit more stability.

On rare occasions, it freezes and some people will lose sound or they could lose video. It needs better handling.

It needs to be more robust in terms of stability.

It's still a fairly new product, so they may still improve this a little.

I have been using Microsoft Teams for a few days.

We are using the Teams business version, which is the one that is offered with the 365 premium package.

There are some issues with stability and it could be improved.

We are using Skype Enterprise but in two or three months, Skype is going to be decommissioned for us. The IT department has been using Microsoft Teams.

We have a local client installed. The software is installed on our desktop and updated to the most recent version whenever it's available.

The initial setup is simple, but if you are a government agency, you have to make it more secure and more robust.

There are additional purchases necessary to secure it in a government agency where you don't want to share a document or expose documents that may be private.

If you have content that requires more security and you want to use it in a more secure manner, with more protection, then it will come at a higher cost. You have to set your environment up with additional features, such as multifactor authentication and identity protection, which are not available in the basic plan. Instead, they can be purchased additionally from Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody interested in Microsoft Teams is that it's a good product and they should hire some consulting services that are specialists if they are serious about implementing it the correct way.

At this time, Microsoft Team fulfills everything we need.

LUKEMON YUSSUF
ITSM Consultant at VerrakiPartners
Great for collaboration, easy to integrate with other applications, and very stable

• "You can easily integrate with other applications quite easily."
  • "With respect to security, there needs to be more work done. I was surprised, for example, yesterday, when my daughter was able to use my Microsoft Teams interface for her schoolwork. I was surprised that they could do that, because I believe it was only for my own personal use."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for office meetings.

What is most valuable?

The solution is perfect for meeting purposes, which is how we mainly use it.

The product has the capability to allow me to do recordings of any session which is very helpful. When the meetings are happening, I'm also able to text with people as a secondary form of communication.

I can use the calendar aspect with it to track my day and to know what I'm going to do.

For collaboration purposes, it's been very, very handy to use, and it's great for chat purposes. It's nice to not always have to pick up the phone when you can just chat via teams instead.

You can easily integrate with other applications quite easily.

What needs improvement?

There's definitely room for improvement.

With respect to security, there needs to be more work done. I was surprised, for example, yesterday, when my daughter was able to use my Microsoft Teams interface for her schoolwork. I was surprised that they could do that, because I believe it was only for my own personal use.

In order to avoid others using it, it needs a password of its own. I don't know how to do that. Maybe Microsoft can make it so that there is a provision for multi-users on a particular system.

I've heard that hackers are beginning to jump on meetings like they were on Zoom previously. This needs to be addressed immediately.

I've been using the solution for the past two to three years at this point.

The solution is very stable. It doesn't have any bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's great.

I've never tried to scale it personally, however, I do believe it would be possible to do so.

Microsoft's technical support for Teams is fantastic. We're quite satisfied with its level of service. They are very responsive and knowledgeable.

Our organization may have previously used WebEx. I believe we also used Skype occasionally.

I use a few different solutions right now. I use Zoom practically every day, even with my kids at home. I use Microsoft Teams for office meetings practically every day. I'll be joining a session very soon, and I'll be using Cisco Webex for that. It varies as to which I use. I'm not exclusively on Teams.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer of the solution. We aren't a reseller.

We have the solution in house, so we have an Azure engineer in-house.

I'd recommend the solution; it's a fantastic product.

I'd rate it eight out of ten overall.

Niclas Junsved
CEO at Zington
Good integration of all features; video conferencing could be improved

• "Integration with document management capabilities and video conferencing."
  • "Lacking in more complex hierarchies for files and teams."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use Microsoft Teams for our project teams, and of course also for remote virtual meetings. We mainly use it internally but also for external communication when we have remote meetings. We're customers and I'm the CEO of our company.

What is most valuable?

The feature I find to be the most valuable is the integration with document management capabilities and video conferencing, screen sharing, etc. It's a powerful tool for when you need to work in teams and to communicate with storing files and meetings. I like Teams very much.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see some improvement in the file hierarchy and team hierarchy. Right now it's not as powerful as when using SharePoint for files. They could develop more complex hierarchies for files and teams. I think there could also be improvement at the authorization level, who can see what and things like that. It's not that easy to work with.

I think the idea of authorization could be included as an additional feature. In addition the video conferencing is not as good as Zoom, which is a more powerful solution. Zoom provides the ability to see many people on the same screen and to break out into different virtual rooms. Those are a couple of features that Teams could implement.

I've been using this solution for two and a half years.

This is an extremely stable solution. I think I restarted only a couple of times over the past  two and a half years. And in the last couple of months, of course, we've been using it all day and it's very stable.

The solution scales automatically for our needs. We add users and it scales accordingly.

We've never had to contact technical support.

The initial setup is extremely straightforward. It's all Office 365 right so it's quite simple. We have two people in our company of 400 that can assist if we need anything. They deal with anything Microsoft related but they do other things as well, it's not a full-time job.

What other advice do I have?

Potential users of the solution should be aware that it's very good at what it does as long as you don't try to stretch the usage to something that it isn't meant to do. It's mainly for internal communication and internal projects. It's not Slack and it's not Microsoft Yammer which is for larger organizations. This is really for small teams of up to 30 people. After that, it becomes clumsy and a bit rigid.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

YannickEberle
Sharepoint Application Specialist at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good document management, easily scalable and very stable

• "The conversation capabilities and document management are the solution's most valuable features."
  • "The solution should offer a way for people to virtually raise their hands in a meeting so that everyone can speak. There's a user voice for this already, but it would help if there was some sort of visual cue as well."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for projects in our company.

What is most valuable?

The conversation capabilities and document management are the solution's most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

The solution could use better calling functionality.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is stable. We haven't had any serious technical problems.

The solution is quite scalable; you can easily add other programs to it.

I've never contacted technical support; I'm not even sure if it exists.

I have some experience on SharePoint, and all the products of the Office 365 lineup. Microsoft Teams combines most of the Office 365 products in one very convenient product. And you can combine every Office 365 app in Teams.

At the time, the initial setup was not really easy, but now it's pretty good. Deployment takes a while. For us, it's ongoing. It's a HI project that's continuous. You don't need anyone for maintenance because it's a cloud product. In terms of the adoption, all of the users assisted with deployment, and we have about 10 users.

We handled the implementation by ourselves with the team user adoption.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is only available as a cloud deployment model; there's no on-premises version.

I use Teams every day for my daily workflow. My company is also rolling out some training on Teams. It's heavily used in our organization.

I'd advise others considering implementation to contact experts. They'll be able to show what you can do with Teams and you'll be able to develop new workflows. It offers a great way to collaborate together.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

EG
IT Manager at a construction company with 201-500 employees
A one-platform solution that is easy for collaboration and easy to use

• "The most valuable features are that it is an all-in-one platform, making it very easy for collaboration with your core employees."
  • "The security needs improvement, as well as the ability to back up private chats."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for collaboration with your calendar and sharing information with SharePoint.

What is most valuable?

You can also create a private room for discussion, and It has a pure conference call.

It has more core features than other platforms like Zoom.

It's tied to your day-to-day common tools such as Word, Excel, and Outlook.

The interface is easy to use.

You can back up using your existing infrastructure just as you can in Veeam and Altaro, or any others that can back up the SaaS.

What needs improvement?

They should consider adding the feature to allow new users, without it being an additional fee.

When comparing features with other vendors, the only thing is that the bridge is not included unless you need it. For users that use the computer or apps, there is no need for a bridge.

The security needs improvement, as well as the ability to back up private chats. They have indicated that it is under development. They need to ensure that the private meetings are not visible to others because of the privacy law.

I am pretty new to using this solution after I migrated from Skype for Business. It's less than a year that I have been using it.

There are many levels of pricing.

If you have clients who do not have a computer and are joining with their phones it's an additional fee of $5.00 per user.

Bridging is a cost of $20 or $30.00 dollars, which is part of the subscription.

What other advice do I have?

I love this solution, even though it's not common because it's migrating all existing users from Skype for Business.

I think that they will discontinue Skype because the direction is moving to Teams.

There may be others who require more, but for us, it meets our requirements and needs.

Jeff Caffey
Solutions Architect / Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Great video conferencing feature, easy to set up and scalable.

• "The video conferencing is good."
  • "Inability to see large numbers of participants."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is mostly for screen sharing and video conferences. I'm a solutions architect/systems engineer and we're a customer of Microsoft.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The video conferencing would be the best feature. One of the main reasons for moving to this solution is that it's included with our Office365 subscription. As a company we were already paying to use it.

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to see a larger number of participants in the gallery view, that would improve the product. I think the ability to integrate with other team's scheduling, for example, with people outside the organization would be a good feature. For example, most of our business partners work for Dell and EMC and they also use Teams. It would be great if we could pop on a video conference with them where screens were shared and we could at least see information on each other's calendars or some sort of external scheduling feature.

I've been using Teams for the last seven months.

It's a stable solution.

The scalability is pretty good, our entire company uses it and we're about 60 people which includes engineers, sales, administrative, accounting, shipping and receiving.

We used Skype previously and switched because Teams is included in our Microsoft package so we were paying for it anyway.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward, it's part of an easy to manage subscription.

What other advice do I have?

(November 2020)   Now, several months and a pandemic since my original review, I'm happy to say that the product has improved with better performance and increased functionality.