Jeff Caffey
Solutions Architect / Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Great video conferencing feature, easy to set up and scalable.

• "The video conferencing is good."
  • "Inability to see large numbers of participants."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is mostly for screen sharing and video conferences. I'm a solutions architect/systems engineer and we're a customer of Microsoft.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The video conferencing would be the best feature. One of the main reasons for moving to this solution is that it's included with our Office365 subscription. As a company we were already paying to use it.

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to see a larger number of participants in the gallery view, that would improve the product. I think the ability to integrate with other team's scheduling, for example, with people outside the organization would be a good feature. For example, most of our business partners work for Dell and EMC and they also use Teams. It would be great if we could pop on a video conference with them where screens were shared and we could at least see information on each other's calendars or some sort of external scheduling feature.

I've been using Teams for the last seven months.

It's a stable solution.

The scalability is pretty good, our entire company uses it and we're about 60 people which includes engineers, sales, administrative, accounting, shipping and receiving.

We used Skype previously and switched because Teams is included in our Microsoft package so we were paying for it anyway.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward, it's part of an easy to manage subscription.

What other advice do I have?

(November 2020)   Now, several months and a pandemic since my original review, I'm happy to say that the product has improved with better performance and increased functionality.

WV
Senior Security Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Helpful chat feature and integrates well with our environment, but the user interface needs improvement

• "The most valuable feature for me is the chat."
  • "After six months of working with it, I still find the UI a little clunky when it comes to sharing content and moving around between features like the calendar and files."

What is our primary use case?

We use Teams for customer team meetings and partner team meetings. We also use it for internal communication.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for me is the chat. It is what I use the most because if I have to reach a team member, given that we are all working remotely, it is the easiest way to do it.

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs to be improved. After six months of working with it, I still find the UI a little clunky when it comes to sharing content and moving around between features like the calendar and files. Sometimes, when I'm on a call and somebody asks if I can share a file or a link, I find it clunky to get to where those pieces are. Overall, navigation is a little sticky.

We have been using Microsoft Teams for about six months.

For what we do, it is absolutely stable. We have an enterprise team and it is used constantly.

We have had some fairly large meetings on here and I think that it scales fine.

I have never needed to contact technical support.

Prior to using Teams, we were using WebEx. We still use WebEx from time to time, but for the most part, we use Teams. It is better for us because Teams is integrated with all of the backend Microsoft environment that we already have. For example, we use SharePoint, ShareFile, and others. It has files integrated as well, so we can place internal files for review on Teams.

WebEx is more of a platform just for jumping on a call with a few people.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Teams. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,267 professionals have used our research since 2012.
HM
Chief Specialist MMS at Roads & Transport Authority
Enabled us to continue functioning seamlessly and productively

• "Valuable screen sharing feature."
  • "Whiteboard tool not embedded in the solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for all the meetings that we used to have on premise. In the current situation, Teams is a good alternative. We are customers of Microsoft and I am chief specialist of MMS.

What is most valuable?

I think the screen sharing feature is the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

I think it would be helpful if the whiteboard tool was embedded in the solution rather than having to deploy or download a tool for this. I also don't like it that the toolbar sticks to the screen during meetings. There should be an option to remove or at lease minimize it as it obstructs the view.

We've been using this solution for four months.

Stability is very good, we've had minimal crashed. In fact, the internet infrastructure that we have is also good, so I haven't had any problems.

I have also used Zoom which I think is more popular than Teams in terms of being able to include more people and ease of use in video conferencing. Nevertheless, I think both are good tools.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward even if you're not an IT person. It's just a matter of downloading the application and it will be set up on your desktop. There are probably close to 500 users in our company that use it regularly.

I'm a business user so I'm not talking from an IT perspective but I believe there has been a return on investment because Teams has seamlessly allowed us to continue to do our work over the lockdown period. I can't put a value on that but it has benefited the company.

What other advice do I have?

There is some room for improvement, so I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

SA
System Architect at Silvery LLC
Improved communication between teams and within teams

• "You can add teams to a conversation. You can create reports, project plans, or many other things based on Microsoft solutions. It has improved communication between teams and within each team."
  • "I think they can improve the all those segments for channel bulking. Also, some functionalities which migrated from Skype for Business to Teams, is not supported by Teams. We had used them in Skype for Business."

What is our primary use case?

We use Teams for onboarding. It helps with worker coordination.

How has it helped my organization?

You can add Teams to a conversation. You can create reports, project plans, or many other things based on Microsoft solutions. It has improved communication between teams and within each team.

What is most valuable?

There are many functionalities we can work with.

What needs improvement?

I think they can improve all those segments for channel bulking. Also, some functionalities which migrated from Skype for Business to Teams, is not supported by Teams. We had used them in Skype for Business.

I think it would be better if we had some improved planning on Teams.

We've been using this solution for around two years.

I think it's quite stable.

The product is scalable, but the organizations that I helped are around 1,000 users. Some organizations that are supported by our company have 1,000 or more people.

One administrator helped us with our experience of Office 365 and administered this solution. I think three would be enough to manage the solution.

Microsoft's support is okay.

There are no products that I can say have all of Teams' possibilities. There are separate products to maintain for all the functions I need, which I can now do in one product.

The initial set up is really easy. You can download a file setup from their portal as long as you are authorized to use it. One user took around five minutes to set up.

It is the standard license which is part of many Office packets.

What other advice do I have?

Just set up and enjoy. It is no problem to use this product.

I would rate this product as eight out of ten.

Andreas Sunde
Receiver, Purchaser, IT Manager at Nomek AS
Scalable and great for remote meetings but needs to be more accessible outside of the office

• "It's great for meeting conferences."
  • "The solution should fix the ease of use directly outside of the office environment. Right now, unless I'm at my office desktop, it's hard to access it."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for remote meetings.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is that tap function.

It's great for meeting conferences.

The solution is scalable.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure if there are any improvements in terms of features that the solution needs right now. It works quite well for us.

The solution should fix the ease of use directly outside of the office environment. Right now, unless I'm at my office desktop, it's hard to access it.

I've been using the solution for one to two years.

You can scale the solution if you need to. It does quite well in that regard and covers our needs very well. A company that needs to expand it out can do so quite easily.

Currently, we don't have more than 15 users on the solution.

I've never used technical support. Therefore I can't speak to the quality of service. I have no idea how responsive they are or how knowledgeable they might be.

For business purposes, we previously used Skype. Personally, I liked Skype the best at the beginning, when we started using Teams. However, now I'm okay with Teams as well. I really liked Skype's interface, and I was used to its layout and using it. I'm not sure if there's too much of a difference in terms of the services they offer and their functionality.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

EmreMACUN
Microsoft Solutions Specialist at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
It is easy to install and the support is very good

• "The initial setup was really straightforward and easy."
  • "I would like to see Outlook options added to this solution."

What is most valuable?

What I like most about Microsoft Teams, is that we can pin applications on the top of the group. So I don't need to go to the browser to search for something or I don't need to go to an application on my desktop if I use cloud applications.

What needs improvement?

We have had some problems uploading documents because of the GDPR status. So we must disable it to upload documents in Teams easily from users. If Microsoft Teams could do that, it would be great. There's a third part solution for this, but it can be too expensive for customers. So I would like to see an admin center added to this solution, so that I can block to upload the document for some users or for some groups.

I have been using Microsoft Teams for two years now.

The solution is very scalable - we have more than 500 users at this stage.

I don't use support from Microsoft Teams, but I bought Microsoft Solution from my other Microsoft Support Team and I like the support Microsoft gives. It is very good.

The initial setup was really straightforward and easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would like to see Outlook options added to this solution. But I recently saw some of the updates, and it seems that there is a way to get Outlook emails on Microsoft Teams. But I haven't experienced it yet. But more Outlook options would be nice. On a scale from one to ten, I will rate this solution an eight.

FA
Assistant VP for Technical Infrastructure at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good group chat capabilities, and no problems with stability

• "The group chat is very good."
  • "In the next release, I would like to have the interface modernized and brought more up to date."

What is most valuable?

The features in this solution are better than Skype for Business.

The group chat is very good.

What needs improvement?

We have been using this solution for a few months.

This is a stable solution.

Scalability and adding licenses is a straightforward process. We have had no issues at all.

We have a hundred or more people using this solution. They are all end-users.

We have an enterprise agreement with premium support for this solution. We haven't had an issue but we're covered in case we do. I would not be able to judge the quality of support for a normal user.

We were using Skype for Business, but Microsoft has stopped supporting it. In 2020, they will only provide new features for Teams, and not Skype for Business, which is why we switched.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

The helpdesk configured this solution for the users.

We are satisfied with the price of this solution. We have an enterprise agreement.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend. Neither myself nor the end-users have had issues since we began using this solution.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

PJ
Owner at Justad Enterprises
Great interface and is user-friendly

• "Our company is moving from their Skype for Business to Teams. So I've seen it, I've looked at it, I've used it somewhat enjoyed the UI."
  • "I had to type the team members versus being able to set up a team's group of names as you can do with Outlook."

What is our primary use case?

Our company is moving from their Skype for Business to Teams. So I've seen it, I've looked at it, I've used it somewhat enjoyed the UI. Teams has been very friendly. I have no qualms about going to Teams from Skype. I have yet a lot to discover.

What needs improvement?

There's one thing that I was disappointed in when I was trying to invite my whole team to a meeting. I had to type the team members versus being able to set up a team's group of names as you can do with Outlook. It would be nice if you could take the ones that dial in with their phone numbers and it had some type of translation. The idea is to get the name of the person dialing in. I don't know if they can get tricky and pick up a name that's associated with that number or prompt the user as they do on Skype.

I'm a new user of Microsoft Teams, I've only used it for a week.

I haven't encountered any stability problems at this point

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft Team on an even par with Skype for Business. I would give it an 8 on a scale from one to10.

Private Cloud