Microsoft Teams OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Teams is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Social Software. It is most often compared to Atlassian Confluence: Microsoft Teams vs Atlassian Confluence

What is Microsoft Teams?

At Microsoft, our mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our mission is grounded in both the world in which we live and the future we strive to create. Today, we live in a mobile-first, cloud-first world, and the transformation we are driving across our businesses is designed to enable Microsoft and our customers to thrive in this world.

We do business in 170 countries and are made up of 114,000 passionate employees dedicated to fulfilling our mission of helping you and your organization achieve more.

Microsoft Teams is also known as MS Teams.

Microsoft Teams Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Teams Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Microsoft Teams Customers
Honeywll, AIRFRANCE, AccuWeather, Lilly
Microsoft Teams Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Teams pricing:
  • "Pricing is free to a threshold and then after that you have to license per user."
  • "The pricing for Teams is very competitive."

Tom Brouillette
Senior Principal Consultant at NCS Partners
Continuous stream of significant improvements Simple conferencing, seamless integration with Outlook and easy to use on mobile devices

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for team conversations. For example, I use it for filing team documents, although, for individual notes and things of that nature, I might use OneNote. I'm using it more and more now for video conferencing within the organization. I haven't really used it too much outside of the organization, although my plan is to use it outside of the company in the near future. Began using for team documents and plans. Teams provides a strong capability to consolidate all collaborative capabilities related to a team in one platform. This is especially important for project… more »

• "This solution is great for ad hoc video conferencing. It's so easy to start a meeting."
  • "The solution should standardize the options across platforms. What I mean by that is, sometimes, on the mobile, there are not the same options and set up features and functions as are available on the web or on the desktop app. Everything should have the exact same functionality, otherwise, it's difficult if some people are on mobile and others are on desktop."

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution. We just get the solution from the cloud, so it's always the most up-to-date option. I've noticed, since the pandemic, that, as of maybe three or four months ago, Teams was much more widely accepted in Europe than in North America. I believe this is starting to change. Recently though (late 2020) this has changed and especially since the roll-out over the summer and fall of improvements in collaborative document, planning and tracking capabilities. I would recommend marketing the tool to people by showing demos of the capabilities for people and…
Jelle Verbeeck
Proposal Manager at Data Unit NV
Easy integration with other Microsoft products, very stable, and simple to set up

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Teams is used, in our case, to collaborate with all internal employees, to work on offering some proposals, and to work together online on files in Word and Excel. We largely use it to collaborate online and to have video meetings with customers. We can integrate SharePoint sites with other people. We have libraries that are available within Teams so that people can sync those libraries to their local drives and therefore will have the most up to date information and documents at their disposal.

• "The integration of online jobs and documents is one of the most valuable aspects of the solution. The ability to integrate tasks and to assign tasks to certain people is great."
  • "I don't like the online version of Word and Excel. It skews the layout. It is no longer representative of the layout that you actually have in a document. You always have to open it in the desktop application to get an accurate representation of how the document will look."

What other advice do I have?

I believe we've been using the latest versions of the solution. We use whichever version is pushed out with Office 365. I would recommend the product. It works with everything. I have an iPad Pro, I have an iPhone, I have my computer. It's installed on all three devices. It works flawlessly. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten, simply because there are a few things the solution still needs to improve upon.
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Teams. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PR
Global Internal Communications Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Enhances workplace communications and adds new features almost daily

What is our primary use case?

I think we're use Microsoft Teams for almost everything when it comes to communications. When I call my colleagues, I no longer using the phone. Because I use Teams so much, I picked up the phone the other day and it was strange — It was like it was the first time I picked up the phone. I use Teams as a phone. Even on my smartphone, I call people using Teams. We're using Teams to call people to set meetings, record meetings, share documents — all communication now goes through Teams. We create groups to share our documents and update them live. It is really very practical and collaborative.

• "It is an excellent all-around communications tool that works well for business purposes."
  • "It may be a little daunting to learn and is still a tool in development."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people who are considering this solution is that you have to be patient at the beginning. People might think it is too complicated or that it looks too complicated at the beginning. As a first time user, I remember feeling like I didn't understand anything. You have to be patient and play around with it until you become familiar with the different features. For example, there are channels within a group. If you are added to several groups and you start getting alerts, you may not know which channel it is or which group. It is a lot for a first time user to digest. It is not as…
SP
Head of Software department & Head of Security department at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Enables us to track the status of all the different tasks we have created but it is not a complete solution

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the product for collaboration and planning. We create tasks in the Planner, we can track the status of all the different tasks we have created and we can share the progress we achieve on these tasks between coworkers. It helps us measure progress and to collaborate.

• "The product is continually growing to add new features and functionality."
  • "The product is immature and lacks some of the features and functionality you would expect in a collaboration tool."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Teams as a seven as of now. But the quality of the product is rising from month-to-month. There is a lot of improvement. Microsoft is still developing it in a smart way. But at the moment it is not a complete solution.
Satish Badrinarayan
Associate Director of Technology at Microland Limited
Facilitates collaboration through voice and video calls, document sharing, and knowledge management

What is our primary use case?

Primarily we are using Microsoft Teams to facilitate collaboration during events and meetings. All of our meetings are voice and video. We are also using it for document sharing. We use a file folder structure for maintaining all of our documents. There are version controls for projects that are completed and help to maintain the documentation.

• "Microsoft Teams has helped us improve collaboration through the use of chats, as well as conferencing, voice calls, knowledge management, and maintaining a repository."
  • "Microsoft Teams is quite demanding on bandwidth, which has been a problem during the COVID situation because we don't get enterprise-class bandwidth at home."

What other advice do I have?

Network performance does impact teams, but Microsoft does give recommendations as to how the internet and network should be set up. If you follow these instructions then there will be fewer problems to fix. Essentially, if you are implementing this product then you need to very clearly understand the network requirements. Tweaking things on the network side is very important. Overall, this is a very good collaboration product and the only thing stopping me from giving it a perfect grade is the heavy bandwidth usage. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
RH
Strategic Program Management at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Enables us to communicate in real-time and share documents in real-time

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use this solution for project collaboration. It could be, for example, when we are developing a new product or taking a new product to market. We use it for designing, publishing and marketing assets, so basically team collaboration where we are working on a project. It helps with communication in the team and it allows us to share different documents or content with each other.

• "I think what the team likes most is the improvements when it comes to communication."
  • "I would say that Microsoft Team invitations from the calendar within the solution could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be that, if they're working with a similar product, they should have a change management program in place. They should also give themselves a few days at least to deliver some training for the users. I think the training is really important to enhance the user adoption experience. It doesn't have to be a lot, but at least give them an introduction and a guided tour through the program's features. The biggest lesson I've learned is actually using a single application that can deliver all of the services that are required. Since I've only been using the solution for six…
AA
Deliver Practice Director at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Great for project collaborations, and for companies with data retention compliancy requirements

What is our primary use case?

We're a tech services company and have numerous use cases for this solution, whether it be for meetings and chat, for collaborations, sharing files, document libraries, collaborating on Word documents and Excel. We use the solution every day, almost as much as we use email. We're partners with Microsoft and I'm the company delivery practice director.

• "Message and chat retention is a valuable feature."
  • "Technical support could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

The transition to this solution is very quick so don't hesitate to give it a go, particularly for anyone already using Microsoft products. If they're using Google or Slack, it depends how they want to consolidate it. The adaptation to this solution is very quick, clients love it and can easily see the power of it. It's a cloud collaboration piece and integrates with products. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
Jimmy O'Rourke
Sr. Product Manager - AccuRev at Micro Focus
Easy to share and collaborate while being fully integrated with our teams, culture, and behaviors

What is our primary use case?

We use it for all communication between product development, product management, technical support, field teams, and other stakeholders. It is our primary vehicle for all communications. We have used it extensively to share content, such as spreadsheets, docs, PowerPoints, and other product related materials, for R&D and internal teams (e.g., the technical and field teams) as well as customer-facing documentation. With the recent COVID-19 forcing all our team members to work remotely, this solution has been an invaluable resource where we can easily set up virtual meetings (with or without… more »

• "It is easy to share and collaborate, including built-in, edit-in-place, autosave features, without having to download, edit, save, or upload."
  • "If I could completely eliminate Outlook and only use Teams, that would help me immensely. Productivity would increase drastically and many of our team members would be more efficient in our day-to-day, as we would be living primarily in a single tool."

What other advice do I have?

Mostly, how to use it and best practices (real world compared to what we are using today).
See 27 more Microsoft Teams Reviews