Microsoft Teams OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Teams is #1 ranked solution in top Enterprise Social Software. IT Central Station users give Microsoft Teams an average rating of 8 out of 10. Microsoft Teams is most commonly compared to Atlassian Confluence:Microsoft Teams vs Atlassian Confluence. Microsoft Teams is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 68% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 22% of all views.
What is Microsoft Teams?

At Microsoft, our mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our mission is grounded in both the world in which we live and the future we strive to create. Today, we live in a mobile-first, cloud-first world, and the transformation we are driving across our businesses is designed to enable Microsoft and our customers to thrive in this world.

We do business in 170 countries and are made up of 114,000 passionate employees dedicated to fulfilling our mission of helping you and your organization achieve more.

Microsoft Teams is also known as MS Teams.

Microsoft Teams Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Teams Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Microsoft Teams Customers
Honeywll, AIRFRANCE, AccuWeather, Lilly
Microsoft Teams Video

Archived Microsoft Teams Reviews (more than two years old)

EmreMACUN
Microsoft Solutions Specialist at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
It is easy to install and the support is very good

• "The initial setup was really straightforward and easy."
  • "I would like to see Outlook options added to this solution."

What is most valuable?

What I like most about Microsoft Teams, is that we can pin applications on the top of the group. So I don't need to go to the browser to search for something or I don't need to go to an application on my desktop if I use cloud applications.

What needs improvement?

We have had some problems uploading documents because of the GDPR status. So we must disable it to upload documents in Teams easily from users. If Microsoft Teams could do that, it would be great. There's a third part solution for this, but it can be too expensive for customers. So I would like to see an admin center added to this solution, so that I can block to upload the document for some users or for some groups.

I have been using Microsoft Teams for two years now.

The solution is very scalable - we have more than 500 users at this stage.

I don't use support from Microsoft Teams, but I bought Microsoft Solution from my other Microsoft Support Team and I like the support Microsoft gives. It is very good.

The initial setup was really straightforward and easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would like to see Outlook options added to this solution. But I recently saw some of the updates, and it seems that there is a way to get Outlook emails on Microsoft Teams. But I haven't experienced it yet. But more Outlook options would be nice. On a scale from one to ten, I will rate this solution an eight.

AA
Information Technology Infrastructure Manager at a non-tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Easily scalable, good Skype features and excellent stability

• "There is a new Skype feature in Teams that is excellent."
  • "The mobile application needs improvement. There are a lot of features on the web and desktop versions that aren't implemented yet on mobile."

What is our primary use case?

We are training an education company, so we primarily use the solution for this. We use it as a business communication tool among team members.

What is most valuable?

In terms of administrating through Office 365, I like the administration panel. The configuration is easy and powerful. Its integration within Microsoft is very good.

There is a new Skype feature in Teams that is excellent.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if more education features were added in future releases.

I've been using the solution for about a year or so.

The solution is very stable; we haven't had any issues.

The solution is very easy to scale.

We have never contacted technical support.

We previously used Microsoft's Yammer, but we've since switched to Teams.

The initial setup was straightforward. We simply enabled it and downloaded the software, then sent the link to everyone, so deployment was very quick. Since we have 6,000 people in the company, we deploy it in batches to teams. The deployment isn't finished quite yet.

We are handling the implementation ourselves.

We use the solution for free since we are an education company. If we need to deploy the solution to our conference rooms we would need to pay, but we don't need to do that right now.

What other advice do I have?

We use the mobile, desktop and web versions of the solution and we use the cloud deployment model. We're partners with Microsoft.

In terms of advice, I'd recommend others carefully plan the project before implementing the solution. Figure out how you can test it and make other people comfortable with using the product before they receive it. Microsoft actually provides very good guides that can help.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Teams. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,027 professionals have used our research since 2012.
FA
Assistant VP for Technical Infrastructure at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good group chat capabilities, and no problems with stability

• "The group chat is very good."
  • "In the next release, I would like to have the interface modernized and brought more up to date."

What is most valuable?

The features in this solution are better than Skype for Business.

The group chat is very good.

What needs improvement?

We have been using this solution for a few months.

This is a stable solution.

Scalability and adding licenses is a straightforward process. We have had no issues at all.

We have a hundred or more people using this solution. They are all end-users.

We have an enterprise agreement with premium support for this solution. We haven't had an issue but we're covered in case we do. I would not be able to judge the quality of support for a normal user.

We were using Skype for Business, but Microsoft has stopped supporting it. In 2020, they will only provide new features for Teams, and not Skype for Business, which is why we switched.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

The helpdesk configured this solution for the users.

We are satisfied with the price of this solution. We have an enterprise agreement.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend. Neither myself nor the end-users have had issues since we began using this solution.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

SA
System Architect at Silvery LLC
Improved communication between teams and within teams

• "You can add teams to a conversation. You can create reports, project plans, or many other things based on Microsoft solutions. It has improved communication between teams and within each team."
  • "I think they can improve the all those segments for channel bulking. Also, some functionalities which migrated from Skype for Business to Teams, is not supported by Teams. We had used them in Skype for Business."

What is our primary use case?

We use Teams for onboarding. It helps with worker coordination.

How has it helped my organization?

You can add Teams to a conversation. You can create reports, project plans, or many other things based on Microsoft solutions. It has improved communication between teams and within each team.

What is most valuable?

There are many functionalities we can work with.

What needs improvement?

I think they can improve all those segments for channel bulking. Also, some functionalities which migrated from Skype for Business to Teams, is not supported by Teams. We had used them in Skype for Business.

I think it would be better if we had some improved planning on Teams.

We've been using this solution for around two years.

I think it's quite stable.

The product is scalable, but the organizations that I helped are around 1,000 users. Some organizations that are supported by our company have 1,000 or more people.

One administrator helped us with our experience of Office 365 and administered this solution. I think three would be enough to manage the solution.

Microsoft's support is okay.

There are no products that I can say have all of Teams' possibilities. There are separate products to maintain for all the functions I need, which I can now do in one product.

The initial set up is really easy. You can download a file setup from their portal as long as you are authorized to use it. One user took around five minutes to set up.

It is the standard license which is part of many Office packets.

What other advice do I have?

Just set up and enjoy. It is no problem to use this product.

I would rate this product as eight out of ten.

HG
Project Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Excellent chat functionality with good stability but there are issues with synchronization

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for communication within our function teams. We use it for project organization, etc.

What is most valuable?

The chat functionality is the solution's most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

We occasionally have issues with synchronization between different dates. This aspect of stability needs improvement. The solution could be better integrated with SharePoint and have better workflows especially for writing drafts for review and release.

I've been using the solution for one month.

The solution is largely stable, but we do face issues around synchronization between different devices.

What do I think about the

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The chat functionality is the solution's most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for one month.

The scalability is good. It's not a problem to put more users onto the solution. We do plan to increase usage, but we'll take some time before doing so.

We previously used Skype occasionally for team communication.

The initial setup was easy. The company-wide deployment took several months.

We had an internal team handle the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution.

I'd rate the solution 7.5 out of ten.

SP
Head of Software department & Head of Security department at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Enables us to track the status of all the different tasks we have created but it is not a complete solution

• "The product is continually growing to add new features and functionality."
  • "The product is immature and lacks some of the features and functionality you would expect in a collaboration tool."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the product for collaboration and planning. We create tasks in the Planner, we can track the status of all the different tasks we have created and we can share the progress we achieve on these tasks between coworkers. It helps us measure progress and to collaborate.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the Teams Planner module. This is a module where we enter projects and tasks that we want to track. We also use the Chats module and find that useful as well to work in conjunction with this tool.

What needs improvement?

One of the places where this product can improve is in file sharing. Using the Planner, it should be easier to link to external files. As the product is set up now, you are obliged to use links to files that will be stored in SharePoint. You cannot integrate files in a node. One of the reasons why we prefer using Trello at this point is because you can add links to the files on each card (project) as you want. It is more open and less limited.

The possibility to attach any kind of content to any card created in Planner is the reason why we didn't stop using Trello completely. With Teams, the constraint regarding the files means we have to separately log on SharePoint and to upload files on to OneDrive to share them. The added complexity means we are losing time over something that should be easier. If this feature could be enhanced so file attachment is easy, I think I would prefer to use Teams instead of Trello.

One functionality that could add value to the product would be better logging of histories. For example, when you've got a conference call and you're using Teams, it would be useful to have a record of the participants in the call. If you have a conference call where there are five participants, the product should be able to record this information as a history of the project without having to ask separately for introductions. Currently, the product is not able to track this information and it doesn't seem that Teams offers the possibility to track the history of the calls that have been completed.

Another feature that would be useful is the ability to create a VCF (Virtual Contact File) directly from an appointment, through the calendar, or through a phone call. It could be great if you just could right-click on the name of the contact and create a VCF file. Later, you will be able to import the contact into Outlook, for example. It could be a very useful time-saver.

We have been using Microsoft Teams for about one year.

I have never noticed any stability issues with Teams, so I think it's good. I don't think there is any need for improvement in that way except to maintain the level of stability as the product develops.

To be honest, we have never explored the possibilities for further expanding the capabilities of the program. I'm quite sure we can explore the addition of features and functionality that do a lot of interesting things. But because it is a bit clumsy to use the file attachments, which is really a basic task I try to avoid using it and I favor the use of Trello instead of Teams. Because we do not currently use it more, we don't do much exploration into scaling it. I don't think there is any real problem with scaling the number of users. But again, we have not been pushing the limitations or the product to scale its use.

We use Teams in the same way that we are using Trello but we lean toward using Trello because of the ability to attach files. So Trello is what we were using before and it is really still what we are using now. We have not migrated to Teams fully although we are using it for some projects and exploring the possibilities.

The product is still developing and may integrate better with Office 365 applications, but there is still a little bit missing in the functionality besides just the file attachments. I think it is possible to improve the interface. A lot of things I would expect to be able to do are currently impossible. I would like to be able to interact with objects better. For example, if you go in the call component and you look at your contacts, you don't have the capability to do much to interact with the contact object. You can launch a conversation and you can make a phone call but you cannot manage the contact object and I wish able to.

For example, you cannot right-click in order to copy the contact to collect the basic information. To be able to create a VCF file would be perfect. But even without going so far, there is a lot of little interaction that would be interesting to be able to do that we cannot. Currently, the product limitations are keeping us from migrating to expanding its use.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Teams as a seven as of now. But the quality of the product is rising from month-to-month. There is a lot of improvement. Microsoft is still developing it in a smart way. But at the moment it is not a complete solution.

PR
Global Internal Communications Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Enhances workplace communications and adds new features almost daily

• "It is an excellent all-around communications tool that works well for business purposes."
  • "It may be a little daunting to learn and is still a tool in development."

What is our primary use case?

I think we're use Microsoft Teams for almost everything when it comes to communications. When I call my colleagues, I no longer using the phone. Because I use Teams so much, I picked up the phone the other day and it was strange — It was like it was the first time I picked up the phone. I use Teams as a phone. Even on my smartphone, I call people using Teams.

We're using Teams to call people to set meetings, record meetings, share documents — all communication now goes through Teams. We create groups to share our documents and update them live. It is really very practical and collaborative.

How has it helped my organization?

It is improving our means of communication and I think in the future will encourage users to communicate better because it is fun to use and powerful.

What is most valuable?

The features that I like the most are the features we have now. I like every aspect of it. It is easy to use. It's on your phone, so it is mobile. You can respond without answering if you have a call or message. You can send emoticons so people know you have gotten their message. This type of response is very quick and doesn't leave the other party waiting. Those features are just like what you might do in WhatsApp or Messenger on Facebook. It is very familiar to anyone using those products.

One thing that we are looking to deploy — and we are testing it now — is to send and track kudos. We want to implement this new feature on a worldwide basis to thank team members for being good participants.

What needs improvement?

We work directly with Microsoft to provide feedback on the product and what we would like to see as improvements. I discover a new feature every day, so they're really working to develop it very quickly.

I would like also to have a feature where we create a worldwide group to act as a social media hub. The difference between that and groups is that it would be separate from all the other groups. I don't want it included in my Teams because I will use it in a different way. I can see the activity of other teams or individuals who are not on my teams. Because I'm using the product extensively and have many teams, I think it is an important addition to be able to organize groups in different ways — and I have put in that request with IS.

We have been using this solution for a couple of years exclusively.

I've heard some people complain and say, "Oh it's not working with me," but I never had any issue with Teams. I use it all the time and it is stable. It opens immediately when I open my computer, it's on my phone and it sends me notifications.

I have calls with people on it. Sometimes I even record video calls. The only time I have had any issues is when the network is not working well — maybe in high load times — but this happens with every means of communication like WhatsApp or other solutions that depend on the network. It isn't a problem with the package it is a problem with the network.

Our company has about 14,000 employees, but we are not all using the intranet. We are an industrial company and we have people working in manufacturing and they don't have access to computers all the time.

As far as scalability, we would like to have the ability to use the product off-site. That is, we want to be able to have remote people use Teams with us internally. This is the only thing I've heard that's posing a problem with scaling.

I have not directly had any experience with the Microsoft technical support team for Teams because we have an IS (Internet Services) group. If we open a ticket, the IS department is the group who will contact support.

Before we tried using Teams, we were using Skype. Now we are only using Teams because it is a more complete and business-oriented tool.

I was not directly involved in the deployment.

Our implementation was done by our own IS team.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to people who are considering this solution is that you have to be patient at the beginning. People might think it is too complicated or that it looks too complicated at the beginning. As a first time user, I remember feeling like I didn't understand anything. You have to be patient and play around with it until you become familiar with the different features. For example, there are channels within a group. If you are added to several groups and you start getting alerts, you may not know which channel it is or which group. It is a lot for a first time user to digest. It is not as straightforward as WhatsApp when it comes to groups.

What we have seen is that when we communicate our requests to Microsoft, we are getting back responses with the features we have asked for. There are many features that we request and we discover they are available in just a few days. Either many companies are making the same requests or Microsoft is answering our request, but the product is evolving quickly.

On a scale from one to ten, when one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Microsoft Teams as an eight. While I like the product a lot and I use it all the time, there is room for improvement.

RH
Strategic Program Management at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Enables us to communicate in real-time and share documents in real-time

• "I think what the team likes most is the improvements when it comes to communication."
  • "I would say that Microsoft Team invitations from the calendar within the solution could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use this solution for project collaboration. It could be, for example, when we are developing a new product or taking a new product to market. We use it for designing, publishing and marketing assets, so basically team collaboration where we are working on a project. It helps with communication in the team and it allows us to share different documents or content with each other.

How has it helped my organization?

We used Skype for business in the past and we had a reasonable audio and visual experience when communicating with teams, if you have a scheduled meeting, for example. But now, with Microsoft Teams, we are able to communicate in real-time and share documents in real-time. And that is a really big improvement for us. The solution has a lot of capabilities in one application. Whereas in the past we had to use multiple applications. That, I would say, would be the biggest benefit that we've experienced, in that we have only one application that we can use to collaborate and speak with each other.

What is most valuable?

I think what the team likes most is the improvements when it comes to communication. We've been using Skype for business in the past but the audio and visual communication is really good with Microsoft Teams. I also really like the speed of the product and the way that the channels can be leveraged.

What needs improvement?

There is nothing that annoys me at the moment but perhaps the layout can be improved. In my experience working with Microsoft tools, they continuously work on usability. There are a few minor issues when scheduling meetings, and that is that some of the descriptions are really long. And there seems to be very little control over what a user could control in terms of the texts that appear. An invitation, for example, can look very complicated. So I would say that Microsoft Team invitations from the calendar within the solution could be improved.

I have been using Microsoft Teams for about six months now.

The solution is stable, I've never experienced it being unavailable or behaving in a peculiar way.

We are only 30 people using this program, but what I have not noticed any issues when more colleagues participate in Microsoft Teams. When usage increases, the program still offers a seamless, consistent experience. We may even add more users, so I believe the program is very scalable.

I haven't used the technical support yet, because I contact our administrator directly. But I know that he was working with Microsoft's technical team from time to time, as well as a third party that delivers hosting services.

We used Skype for Business before but Microsoft Teams came along with the Microsoft Office subscription that we had. We had subscriptions to Office. And then we moved from On Premise Exchange to Exchange Online. It was the natural choice to make. We do use other services from other providers, but I would say that Microsoft Teams is the most stable one.

From an end-user perspective, the initial setup was really straightforward. We started to use Microsoft Teams when we deployed Microsoft Exchange Online earlier this year, and as part of that, we adopted the use of Teams and Yammer. I have been using Microsoft Teams in the past, but it wasn't really until we as an organization had deployed it and exchanged online that we were all able to enjoy the benefits. Testing the application before was very fragmented.

Deployment took a couple of days. When we started to go from using Microsoft Outlook for mail, we started to integrate Yammer and Teams.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be that, if they're working with a similar product, they should have a change management program in place. They should also give themselves a few days at least to deliver some training for the users. I think the training is really important to enhance the user adoption experience. It doesn't have to be a lot, but at least give them an introduction and a guided tour through the program's features.

The biggest lesson I've learned is actually using a single application that can deliver all of the services that are required. Since I've only been using the solution for six months, I haven't even used all the features yet. I think that Microsoft Teams may replace Microsoft Outlook in the future.

On a scale from one to 10, I will rate this solution a seven. I think there's always room for improvement, even if it's not obvious what those improvements can be. I guess I could be tempted to say eight but not higher than that. I am very satisfied with Microsoft Teams.