Microsoft Visual Studio OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Visual Studio is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top .NET Development Services. It is most often compared to SharePoint Designer: Microsoft Visual Studio vs SharePoint Designer

What is Microsoft Visual Studio?
Visual Studio.NET is the umbrella that represents the key pieces of the .NET platform delivered from Microsoft, including the .NET Framework, the recently announced .NET Core, and a shared common layer of packages, compilers and runtime. Read this .NET blog post about the evolution of the platform and the different pieces that make .NET 2015.

Microsoft Visual Studio is also known as MS Visual Studio.

Microsoft Visual Studio Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Visual Studio Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Microsoft Visual Studio Customers
Knab, Hamburg Port Authority, Kecioren Municipality, National Instruments, Hamburg Port Authority, Government of Odisha, Kongsberg Maritime AS
Microsoft Visual Studio Video

Archived Microsoft Visual Studio Reviews (more than two years old)

XX
Developer at a tech services company
The price is good and I don't need any special software to run this program

• "I like it that I don't need any special software to run this program."
  • "In the next version I would like to see a better development tool."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to develop and maintain the main programs of the company for which we work.

What is most valuable?

I really like the distributed software programming on the Windows platform and also we need to develop on this platform since the company's computers work with the Windows network. I like that I don't need any additional software to develop on this platform.

I have been using Microsoft Visual Studio ( /products/microsoft-visual-studio-reviews ) for more than ten years now.

I haven't had any issues with the stability of this solution.

I believe the solution is scalable and we can increase our number of developers. We currently have 15 users.

We don't really use technical support. Whenever we have an issue, we search on the internet for a solution.

We used other solutions before, but we decided to switch to Microsoft Visual Studio because it is the best solution for developing the Windows platform. We considered using Delphi Solutions, but few people were familiar with the platform, so we chose Visual Studio. More people use Visual Studio.

The solution comes at a good price and, even though there are free versions out there on the market, I still prefer this product because I like its interface.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is to simply install it and use it. I am really satisfied with this solution. My rating is eight out of ten. In the next version, I would like to see a better development tool. The current Mobile Application Development is very integrated.

Dexter Baur-Schmidt
Software Development Quality Assurance Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It is broad-spectrum so it can be used for a wide variety of technologies

• "The feature I find most valuable is the fact that it's broad-spectrum, so it can be used for a wide variety of technologies."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for performance testing.

What is most valuable?

The feature I find most valuable is the fact that it's broad-spectrum, so it can be used for a wide variety of technologies. We are predominately .NET based and we use mostly .NET Core or .NET Framework so I can call in any immediate packages.

What needs improvement?

I would only say the deployment outline can be improved. We have shifted away from using Team Foundation Server, because it didn't work for our company. We shifted over to the Git approach and I do know that the Team Foundation Server has Git support. But we decided to rather go with GitLab as our main platform.

In terms of more support I would like to have the ability to plug into other open source pools. I know that it's focused towards the whole Microsoft Suite so it's more geared towards the Team Foundation Server, but if they can add more support to pools, that would be great.

I have been using Microsoft Visual Studio for the part ten to thirteen years.

In terms of stability, it really works for us. There are drawbacks to every solution out there, it's built into it. Our company is stripped across using Visual Studio. Some of the architects use Visual Studio Code so they don't really need an extent of IDE. They have a nice cut of IDE using Visual Studio Code. In terms of stability, I don't think we have shifted away from Visual Studio at all. It will always remain our IDE tool of choice.

With Microservice Architecture it has become very easy for us to scale out. I think it's more about the way that we handle scale. The tool allows it. I would say the hardships comes with the planning for scale, as opposed to the actual tool accommodating itself. We have about 1500 users on Visual Studio and then we have a small team dedicated to the maintenance of the deployment.

The technical team at Microsoft is known for their fast response time.

We utilized a bunch of templates for the initial setup instead of going through the trials and tribulations of setting up everything at once.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this solution. They've really gone the 9-mile to accommodate not only corporate or big companies, but small, single users to utilize the community issue or business vehicle, and to develop and build on application. I would highly recommend it to anyone. In the next version, I would like to see systems like Juta as well as more testing tools. There's a massive automation drive, anything in terms of more out of the box automation features for Selenium, or ACRONYM, or automation tools like that. I rate this program ten out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Visual Studio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
    540,694 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    ZK
    Software Engineer with 51-200 employees
    Integrates well with different databases for both desktop and web application development

• "The most valuable feature is the integration with different databases."
    • "The reporting services are quite limited in terms of features and need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution to develop desktop and web applications. I have it deployed on-premises.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the integration with different databases. There are many different databases that it supports.

What needs improvement?

The reporting services are quite limited in terms of features and need to be improved.

I would like to see installation and packaging features added to the next release of this solution.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

This is a stable solution.

I have not needed to work with applications that needed scaling.

I think that it can handle many users, but we have between five and ten people using it.

The technical support by Microsoft is quite good.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward. It was quite fast to deploy, measured in minutes. One person is enough for deployment and maintenance.

I installed the solution myself.

We did evaluate other options but choose this solution because it was more integrated with Windows.

What other advice do I have?

For anybody who is implementing this solution, I would suggest checking the reporting services beforehand. They can create limitations.

Adding the installation and packaging features are really important and would improve the product a lot.

OnyaToochukwu
    CEO/Programmer at Tech Elight
    The language syntax is great because it is similar to the human language

What is our primary use case?

I have been using Visual Studio for the design and implementation of an online voting system for students in the higher institution.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been a nice programming language. I love using it, and it has created a really great cordial relationship between my clients and me.

What is most valuable?

The language syntax is great because it is similar to the human language, very easy to understand and to work with.

What needs improvement?

A kind of tutorial page should be embedded in the software to enable first-time users learn more without the help of an expert. A page to explain most of the language syntax.

Robert Cattral
    User

What is our primary use case?

C++ desktop development.

How has it helped my organization?

It's easy to use and has a highly customizable IDE that is good for cross-platform development.

What is most valuable?

Support for many languages and cross-platform development makes it highly versatile.

What needs improvement?

Support for spell checking comments should be inbuilt and automatically installed.

More than five years.

What is our primary use case?

C++ desktop development.

Cengiz Yalcin
    IT Global Operations Manager at a consumer goods company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Open to other platforms and we are able to run additional components on top of it

• "It's a universal solution. I like that I can easily find software developers for it. I can easily find staff on Microsoft forums. Also, we have other components that are running on top of Visual Studio. I like that it is open to other platforms. Finally, there are many many resources for Microsoft Visual Studio and I can easily find support. There is a large knowledge base for it as well."
    • "I would like to see support for rapid application development. For example, if I am developing a new project, I am repeating many similar steps again and again and again. But the platform could do this easily, instead of me. It would save me time. This is something I would like to have in Microsoft Visual Studio, to have it take over repetitive tasks from me."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for development of internal software projects. I am satisfied with it.

How has it helped my organization?

We can easily build solutions with this tool and we can get help from many other resources.

What is most valuable?

It's a universal solution. I like that I can easily find software developers for it. I can easily find staff on Microsoft forums. Also, we have other components that are running on top of Visual Studio. I like that it is open to other platforms. Finally, there are many many resources for Microsoft Visual Studio and I can easily find support. There is a large knowledge base for it as well.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see support for rapid application development. For example, if I am developing a new project, I am repeating many similar steps again and again and again. But the platform could do this easily, instead of me. It would save me time. This is something I would like to have in Microsoft Visual Studio, to have it take over repetitive tasks from me.

It's a stable solution.

Scalability is fine.

Technical support is good.

The switch depended on a cost-benefit analysis. It was positive for me.

In this type of solution, application development, there are only a few possibilities. One of them is Microsoft. Another one is Delphi. We chose between just these two solutions. Microsoft was very dominant.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it an eight out of 10 because, as I said earlier, it could have more options to speed up development by handling repetitive tasks. But I would recommend Visual Studio.

When selecting a vendor I look at support and the name of the company.

reviewer829596
    User at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    User
    It is flexible enough to let me use Git as well as its own version control mechanism. It would be nice if its extensions and updates could self-correct.

• "We use TFS for our scrums, which links our tasks to actual code changes."
    • "It is also flexible enough to let me use Git as well as its own version control mechanism."
    • "It would be nice if Visual Studio's extensions and updates could self-correct, if they are not working or disabled, and also inform the user."

What is our primary use case?

Creating web sites and APIs using Angular, jQuery, MVC, and Web API. Desktop and server side assets are primarily in C#, however I use it to edit older ASPX pages for web apps written in VB.NET.

How has it helped my organization?

It is an excellent IDE, but the corporate features are what set it apart. We use TFS for our scrums, which links our tasks to actual code changes.

What is most valuable?

Personally, in my job as a developer, the version control system has been very helpful. It is also flexible enough to let me use Git as well as its own version control mechanism.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if Visual Studio's extensions and updates could self-correct, if they are not working or disabled, and also inform the user. Lately, for example, NuGet Package Manager has failed gracefully, but it did not say why.

it_user808128
    Director Research Development with 1,001-5,000 employees
    User
    Most valuable features include code navigation by symbols and document auto formatting

What is our primary use case?

Developing various .NET solutions, making sure code is well tested and debugging issues with it, then publishing the code from the application.

How has it helped my organization?

No one can say that VS IDE is bad. It is definitely sophisticated and provides many out-of-the-box features. Going community has boosted all that.

What is most valuable?

Code navigation by symbols Document auto formatting Testing tools Publishing tools Performance testing Reference usage

What needs improvement?

Since it is a heavy product, it is somewhat slow in building and executing the code in a localhost environment and it consumes a lot of resources.

Three to five years.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• Code navigation by symbols
    • Document auto formatting
    • Testing tools
    • Publishing tools
    • Performance testing
    • Reference usage

Three to five years.
    Software Engineer at a tech services company
    It provides me the ability to deploy applications directly from it
    What do you like best? It is a multi-purpose IDE, where I can easily build C++, C#, and many other languages projects without any difficulty. I can develop mobile apps, desktop applications, web applications, etc. It provides me the ability to deploy applications directly from the Visual Studio. Its layout editor is pretty fast and easy to use.  It is becoming the one and the only IDE which give us the ability to build cross platform applications at one place with Xamarin support. I can use my core code across Android, iOS, and Windows apps. I only have to set its layout. This is also in the IDE. What do you dislike? Its IntelliSense, while overall good, I think it can be improved by covering the local status. It should show local variables first in IntelliSense and other…
    What do you like best?
    1. It is a multi-purpose IDE, where I can easily build C++, C#, and many other languages projects without any difficulty. I can develop mobile apps, desktop applications, web applications, etc.
    2. It provides me the ability to deploy applications directly from the Visual Studio.
    3. Its layout editor is pretty fast and easy to use.
    4. It is becoming the one and the only IDE which give us the ability to build cross platform applications at one place with Xamarin support.
    5. I can use my core code across Android, iOS, and Windows apps. I only have to set its layout. This is also in the IDE.
    What do you dislike?

Its IntelliSense, while overall good, I think it can be improved by covering the local status. It should show local variables first in IntelliSense and other related variables afterward.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are student or new to programming, then I will recommend you use Visual Studio for development, because it is a complete IDE and easy to use.

Architect Software Test Engineer at MAS Global Consulting
    Collaboration grew through the implementation.

What is most valuable?

Profiling Architecture (Code Map) Test and Load Test

How has it helped my organization?

Collaboration grew through the implementation. TFS - Agile (Scrum / Kanban)

What needs improvement?

IntelliSense Better management of using clauses Auto add/remove using reference Auto detect / suggest References or Nuget Package

Six months (the 2017 version in particular).

Customer Service: NA Technical Support: NA

NA …

What is most valuable?

Profiling

Architecture (Code Map)

Test and Load Test

How has it helped my organization?

Collaboration grew through the implementation.

TFS - Agile (Scrum / Kanban)

What needs improvement?

IntelliSense

Better management of using clauses

Auto add/remove using reference

Auto detect / suggest References or Nuget Package

Six months (the 2017 version in particular).

Simple.

In-house.

NA

What other advice do I have?

NA

it_user5931
    Developer at a university with 51-200 employees
    Visual Studio .Net is the Best IDE for Programmers and IT Students

Valuable Features:

It was in 2004 when I first experienced Visual Studio 2003 as an IT student. Now that I am working as a programmer, I used the newer version which is Visual Studio 2008. Here are the few reasons why I chose .Net for so many years: • I can create console, Windows form, Web Forms, Smart device and mobile applications, XML web and windows services using different languages such as Visual Basic, C#, J# and C++ • I love the drag and drop ability of the items and controls using Visual Designers • I love the Toolbox with many useful and unique items that even Netbeans or Eclipse does not have such as Timer, DateTimePicker, Process Dialog and etc. • I adore the integrated, highly professional looking Crystal in VS 2008 and later versions • Express editions are free and suitable for students

Room for Improvement:

• Visual Studio.Net is only used for Microsoft Windows Operating system. • Other than the express edition, Visual studio products are not for free. • Crystal Report is not included in Visual Studio 2010 and 2012 and requires a separate download.

Other Advice:

Being an educator and a programmer for 8 years, I can say that Visual Studio .Net is the best development tool for desktop and web applications. I am absolutely recommending Visual Studio .Net to my fellow programmers, web developers and even to students, hobbyists and new learners.
    Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    .NET is great for business apps, editors, anything that doesn't require really optimized code.

Valuable Features:

It provides manageable code execution, it's object oriented, the .net framework comes with ado.net, it uses xml to transfer data between the various layers in the architecture, has error handling properties, automatic memory management, disconnected architecture, and is a multi-platform application. It is a consistent programming model, has multi-language integration, and ease of development.

Room for Improvement:

Needs skills, and some versions have less features. One cannot run unsaved code or use generics and operator overloading. It requires a .net framework which xp sp3 doesn’t have.
    Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Visual Studio will continue to be a industry standard IDE for Windows for the foreseeable future.

Valuable Features:

The Visual Studio IDE is excellent in design and function. It allows you to code for a wide variety of software, including web and platform software. It supports quite a few different programming languages. It also has a GUI based visual interface editor built in, which is easy to use and allows for quick turn around in prototyping software designs.There is a free "Express" version of the IDE software available as well.

Room for Improvement:

.NET apps are only compatible with Windows Phone 8 and Windows platforms. Visual Basic.NET is the primary language that Visual Studio is targeted for. Also, the price for the IDE can be expensive.

Other Advice:

Personally, I prefer using Visual Studio as it has the code auto-complete feature, which is really awesome if you've forgotten the name of the function or API that you are calling.
    it_user1077
    Developer at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    Visual Studio.NET is a state of the art, Integrated Development Environment (IDE) from Microsoft Corporation.

Valuable Features:

Offers an excellent platform to develop Desktop, Web, and Mobile Applications.Supports various programming languages.Includes various features for rapid application development (Like Drag & Drop, IntelliSense).

Room for Improvement:

As .NET Framework bundles more and more components, utilities, and API's, the size of the downloadable is large..NET desktop applications can run only on a windows platform.Code editor is expensive.

Other Advice:

Even though Visual Studio.NET offers great features and functions, the cross-platform issues cannot be overlooked.