Partha-DWBI Analytics Expert
Principal Co-founder at Enterprise BIDI Solutions
Reseller
Business Intelligence & analytics tool--Microstrategy expert review

What is our primary use case?

Design and development of the product lines in the apparel industry with its unit pricing info,customer demographics details,Customer profile,competitor info and analysis over a time period..Store wise inventory details of each product line across the region,state and country level

How has it helped my organization?

• Enterprise wide reporting capability.
  • Self-service reporting & analysis.
  • Extensive analysis of business units function: It provides various metrics and by using drill through and drill across functionality.
  • Ease of understanding of various performance measures using widget features.

What is most valuable?

Schema updates help us to cope up with enterprise business definition changes.

Reports auto-styling allows us to design stunning report output, differentiating the result set for better understanding of the business users.

VLDB properties allow you to customize the SQL that MicroStrategy generates. These settings affect how MicroStrategy Intelligence Server manages joins, metric calculations, and query optimizations.

What needs improvement?

The flexibility to work with agile data model updates.

We have used MicroStrategy for 10 + years.

We have encountered stability issues with regards to Metadata db being crashed and need to reload the Project and configure it to various Project repositories

We have encountered no scalability issues.

Technical support is very good.

We worked with IBM Cognos and its business adaption due to its rich data visualization capabilities, widget creation, etc.

Setup was easy. By creating a unified project model with the organizational standards, business rules, and project design, the underlying data model design is streamlined resulting in consistent reporting and analysis across the enterprise.

It’s cloud version pricing is competitive and in sync with market demand.

What other advice do I have?

For an enterprise-wide DWBI implementation, MicroStrategy is a great choice. Evaluate your organizational needs to go in either for on-premises or cloud version of the product to control your project budget.

HP
Senior Data Analyst at Charutarhealth Org
Very stable but needs industry-based tutorials and proper support

What is our primary use case?

We create dashboards and reports for top management.

What is most valuable?

It is very stable.

What needs improvement?

They should give proper industry-based tutorials so that one can learn it easily and implement it based on the requirements. They should give more MMP files so that we can import a whole project altogether and learn from that project.

I have been using MicroStrategy for one year.

It is very stable.

I have been using it only for a year. I am not sure about its scalability. We have ten users who use it in our organization.

What is our primary use case?

We create dashboards and reports for top management.

What is most valuable?

It is very stable.

What needs improvement?

I have been using MicroStrategy for one year.

It is very stable.

There is no proper support. Their support needs to be improved. Whenever we call them, they ask us to get professional services. I previously took professional services for $2,000. When I reached out to them for another issue, they again asked me to go for professional services. I cannot pay for professional services every now and then.

I didn't use any other product before. I was just using a dashboard that I made through PHP programming.

It was very complicated. I was installing the MSTR library on Linux. It took me two months. It is very easy to install MSTR on Windows.

I installed it on my own.

They offer yearly as well as perpetual licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I am not satisfied with this solution. I would rate MicroStrategy a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about MicroStrategy. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
HP
Senior Data Analyst at Charutarhealth Org
The potential is there but more assistance is required for proper use.

• "I haven't come across any bugs."
  • "They should provide more tutorials and include some project files."

What is our primary use case?

We use MicroStrategy to create dashboards and reports for our top management.

We are still not using it one hundred percent but we plan to be by next year.

What needs improvement?

Their basic tutorials could be improved; there are not enough. They should provide more tutorials and include some project files.

They should create some project files. For example, if I see a project online, I can deploy that project and import it into my production. From there, I can learn how to create attributes from that project.

I have been using MicroStrategy for one year.

I haven't come across any bugs, but as I mentioned, I am not using it one hundred percent at the moment.

We are paying a lot for MSTR support but we're not getting the proper support that we should be.

We actually got technical support from one of the vendors (which was not cheap for us), but still, we couldn't make enough dashboards, even with their help. I rely on google for a lot of help. I've been manually creating my existing reports in PHP and MariaDB to MSTR.

The initial setup was very complex and complicated. They have a very simple installation for Windows, but for Linuxware, it is far too complicated.

Deployment took almost two months.

The pricing is fair.

What other advice do I have?

To be honest, I regret using MSTR. I think I should have gone with Tablo instead.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give MSTR a rating of seven.

MM
Ict Infrastructure Cluster Division Head at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Visually appealing, easy to use, stable, and has a great ETL tool

• "It is easy to use and visually very appealing. One thing that sets it apart is that it has got a great ETL tool. As compared to some of the other solutions, it is much easier to process data from other applications in MicroStrategy. That's why we prefer using it."
  • "Its price should be lower. In terms of features, what we have is quite encompassing right now."

What is our primary use case?

It can be used for various things. We are currently using it for executive dashboarding, critical success factors, and business monitoring. We have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and visually very appealing. One thing that sets it apart is that it has got a great ETL tool. As compared to some of the other solutions, it is much easier to process data from other applications in MicroStrategy. That's why we prefer using it.

What needs improvement?

Its price should be lower. In terms of features, what we have is quite encompassing right now.

I have been using this solution for about four or five years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. Currently, we have five users of this solution in our organization. There are about two or three people who are responsible not only for maintenance but also for the enhancement of the reports and other things.

Their technical support is very nice.

We have used other products.

It is expensive. We would like to extend it to many users, but we are currently restricting that because the cost is a constraint. If we are given a chance, we would love to expand it.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution. We plan to keep using it.

I would rate MicroStrategy an eight out of ten.

MT
BI Architect/Admin at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Good subscription options, and excellent on mobile, but needs better visualization

• "The solution has excellent features available on mobile."
  • "The solution lacks good visualization. They should work on the user interface to make it more slick and modern."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for customer management, Salesforce organization, and product purchasing analysis.

What is most valuable?

The solution has excellent features available on mobile.

Their subscriptions are very good.

The solution offers us a strong SQL engine and enterprise tools.

Overall, the solution offers a strong set of features.

What needs improvement?

They could improve the maps they have on offer.

There needs to be more customization in the SQL engine.

The technical support on offer could be better.

I've been using the solution for ten years.

The solution offers very good stability. We find it to be reliable. there aren't bug or glitches. There isn't freezing. It doesn't crash.

The scalability the product offers is excellent. If a company want to expand outwards, they can do so with relative ease.

The technical support is okay. It could use some improvement. We aren't overly satisfied with their level of service.

The initial setup is not straightforward or complex. It has a moderate amount of difficulty.

I cannot disclose our licensing costs due to privacy concerns.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with MicroStrategy.

We're using the MSQL 2019 version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

SriK
President/Owner at Vassutech
Scalable and integration-friendly

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for MicroStrategy is reporting, including sales, marketing, operational, and financial. We use it for all of our lines of business.

What is most valuable?

The tool I find the most valuable is MicroStrategy Architect. I use it for schematic modeling. It is scalable and integration-friendly.

What needs improvement?

MicroStrategy should become more user friendly. It should behave more like Tableau.  I would personally like to see more narrowcast features.

I have been using MicroStrategy for six years.

The initial setup was complex because of the nature of the product. It has multiple components. It takes 12 hours to deploy.

Which deployment model are

What needs improvement?

I would personally like to see more narrowcast features.

I have been using MicroStrategy for six years.

Download our free MicroStrategy Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.