MicroStrategy Usher OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

MicroStrategy Usher is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Mobile Identity tools. It is most often compared to OneLogin Workforce Identity: MicroStrategy Usher vs OneLogin Workforce Identity

What is MicroStrategy Usher?
MicroStrategy provides a fast and intuitive analytics experience across web, desktop, and mobile interfaces. Business analysts, IT developers, and administrators can seamlessly create logical data models with Architect and deliver custom applications using a powerful set of APIs. Usher is a revolutionary digital identity product built on the MicroStrategy platform. It provides secure logical and physical access and enhances enterprise productivity by replacing passwords, tokens and physical IDs with secure mobile identity badges. Usher provides analytics, identity discovery, mustering, and two-way communication features to conduct complex analytics and optimize productivity for Badge users and can view real-time maps of user activity and quickly communicate with dispersed teams at the touch of a button.
MicroStrategy Usher Buyer's Guide

Download the MicroStrategy Usher Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

MicroStrategy Usher Customers
Target, Hilton Worldwide, Gucci, Four Seasons, Facebook, Coach, Zurich, Adidas Group, eHarmony, Sonic Automotive
MicroStrategy Usher Video

MicroStrategy Usher Reviews

ND
Analyst at a media company with 10,001+ employees
Ease of development, good visualization, and good reporting help us to get more out of our data

• "The most valuable feature is the ease of development in MicroStrategy."
  • "The documentation of how to make different connections to different databases needs to be more centralized."

What is our primary use case?

MicroStrategy is an application which is used to give a proper reporting of data. It can be used to visualize, analyze, and make something more out of the data. This is precisely what we are doing in our environment. We are generating reports that cover several years and adding some meaning to the data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of development in MicroStrategy. For example, we can treat URLs as objects, which is very easy to use for end-users, business analysists, or other professionals. Anyone can find it very easy to develop.

The number and type of different settings that can be used for optimizing pulled data are valuable. For example, if a report is taking a lot of time to retrieve data from the database, there are settings in MicroStrategy that we can change to help.

As a BI tool, it is helpful in finding different templates for the users and using the same standard operating procedures on how to operate different pulls and micro strategies.

What needs improvement?

The documentation of how to make different connections to different databases needs to be more centralized. It becomes confusing when we have to search for this information on Google and elsewhere.

I would like to see more clarity with respect to the cloud integration because it is a hot topic right now.

I have been using this solution for about a year and a half.

There are a lot of issues that occurred while I was using MicroStrategy. We created some cases that caused problems and we had some discussions with them over the course of time. We found some answers to the problems, but we found some that were the fault of the product. I think that it was about 50-50 in terms of whether the problem was solvable. MicroStrategy was told about the limitations in the product and I think that they will be fixed in future releases of the solution.

This product is easily scaled. We can use it for 100 users or we can use it for over 10,000 users, depending on the licenses.

We currently have between 800 and 1,000 employees.

The technical support for this solution is good. We normally reach out of them by email and then we can set up a WebEx meeting.

In general, the initial setup is pretty straightforward. There are some issues related to the setup that make it a bit complex, but overall, it is a simple setup process.

Using the documentation, we were able to perform the installation on our own.

What other advice do I have?

I'd say if any user or any set of users are looking to get more insights from the raw data that they have collected over the course of years, one of the best BI tools in terms of analytics and data management would be MicroStrategy. You can develop pretty much everything from scratch. If you are looking to get more meaningful information out of data, I would recommend this solution.

From an architectural perspective, this is a good solution. However, there are a few things that can be improved.

RC
Head of Business Intelligence Infrastructure and Operations at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Excellent security platform for an enterprise setup

• "The self-service and the dossier components as well as the hyper intelligence."
  • "The skills needed now are very niche and quite low level and they need to simplify the development aspect of it."

What is our primary use case?

I'm the head of business intelligence for infrastructure and operations at a large bank. We are a customer of MicroStrategy. Our primary use case of the solution is for enterprise data management as well as self-service and mobile. We also use transaction services for apps.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features would probably be the self-service and the dossier components as well as the hyper-intelligence.

What needs improvement?

I think they are working on improvements and are in the process of changing the development to be more GUI-based rather than code-based. I think that will be good, we're waiting for that transition. I think the skills needed now are very niche and quite low level and they need to simplify the development aspect of it.

They have a feature called transaction services and as an additional feature, I'd like to see that in the dossier, which is your build-it-yourself front-end. If we can get to where you can build forms and write back and transaction services from that interface, it would be great.

We've been using the product for six years.

The newer versions of the product are far more stable than the older ones. We haven't had any problems.

It's definitely a scalable product, we've been able to scale to over 5,000 users. That includes finance people, IT, business users, service management, and also our HR department. They all use it.

Technical support is very good.

We previously used Microsoft Reporting Services and SharePoint. We switched because I think the self-service component was a very big factor for us as well as the data governance component which was key for our needs. The semantic layer that MicroStrategy has, is what we were after.

It was pretty straightforward. We're a large organization and we used a partner and were able to deploy in three months.

I can't comment on setup cost but we pay an annual maintenance fee and that includes support and upgrades.

Prior to purchasing we had a look at QlikView, at Microsoft Business Intelligence, and we looked at Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

There are a lot of visualization tools, but not many enterprise BI tools. If you are going to run an enterprise shop for a big organization, don't pick the small tools designed for small team reporting otherwise you're going to really encounter barriers. MicroStrategy fits best in an enterprise setup.

I would rate this product a nine out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about MicroStrategy Usher vs. Oracle Identity Governance and other solutions. Updated: September 2021.
540,884 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Arturo Rony-Oncebay Casanova
System Implementer at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Improved the way to exploit and analyze data and offers no interruptions in service when running

• "The solution has good analysis features to make sure there's good sizing (so that it's not too big or too small) and allows room for growth if a company needs it."
  • "The pricing needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for project build systems and soil survey.

How has it helped my organization?

Usher has improved the way to exploit and analyze data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is it's non-stop application. It continues to run so there are no interruptions to customers. It's also able to reach many people.

What needs improvement?

The pricing needs improvement, it need to lower prices per user to make it more accessible.

In terms of new features, I'm not sure what can be improved. I need to do more research before I comment on anything like that.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is scalable. Right now, we have about 60,000 users. We use the product quite extensively and we do plan to increase usage.

Technical support has been very good. We use technical support from a local advisor but we typically tend to manage our own technical support in house.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was complex. It's a new technology, so sometimes there are problems with customers not understanding what things mean. We're still in the process of deploying the solution and estimate it will take half a year to both implement and analyze how well the solution is working for us.

We used a reseller in our country that assisted with the implementation.

There is a free desktop version that provides powerful self-service analysis, I really recommend it.

We previously evaluated Power BI.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model.

I'd give the solution an eight out of ten.

Okay Akdeniz
Business Application Group Manager at OBASE
Stable but scaling on-premise can be difficult

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for reporting purposes. At our company, I manage our business application solutions. I have to provide reports to the managers and directors on a quarterly or monthly basis. We report on things like revenue, profits, problematic cases, etc. My company decided that next year we may drop these services. We are checking or we may talk with the customers, why they don't buy new products or new solutions or new consulting. We want to check that these are services actually, consulting services.

What is most valuable?

The mobile identity features are great.

What needs improvement?

Scaling this solution can be difficult.

I have been using MicroStrategy Usher for roughly two years.

What do

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The mobile identity features are great.

What needs improvement?

Scaling this solution can be difficult.

I have been using MicroStrategy Usher for roughly two years.

This solution is very stable.

MicroStrategy can scale up and scale out, but it's done manually. Still, to do this on-premise is very hard; you may need help from your IT department or support. On the cloud, scaling is easy.

We employ 100 staff members that act as consultants for our customers; they provide them with support.

There are three ways to install this solution. Which method you choose all depends on your environment. Commonly, installing the reporting platform is not like installing an application because this reporting tool focuses on enterprise companies. It has to be configured and reconfigured.

MicroStrategy provides us with plenty of functionality, but the installation part is not easy for enterprise customers. You need some serious tech knowledge in order to install this solution — not just anyone can do it. There are a lot of settings and configurations that need to be considered. Installation is easy for us, but it's not easy for the end-users.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven.

I don't think I would recommend this solution to others. There are better reporting solutions out there.

PC
Sr. Software Developer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Straightforward initial setup with good dashboards and documentation

• "The dashboard, documentation, dossiers are all valuable features."
  • "Right now, we have to apply many workarounds for the solution to do what we need it to do. There are a lot of bugs."

What is our primary use case?

I've primarily used the solution when dealing with the pharmaceutical domain where the solution was used to create the dashboards for the patients who were suffering from a particular disease.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard, documentation, dossiers are all valuable features.

What needs improvement?

There are many features that have been suggested by the community that aren't in place yet. The solution needs a Top 10 reports, for example.

In the future, I would love to see machine learning achieved through MicroStrategy.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is definitely scalable. Right now, we have more than 50 users on the solution and those users are both IT managers and admins. We do plan to increase usage in the future.

I've never been in touch with technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward. I can install it as many times as I want.

I handled the implementation myself.

We evaluated both Tableau and Power BI before ultimately choosing this solution. They're good competitors to this technology.

What other advice do I have?

I do find I need to use a lot of workarounds and reach out to the community a lot to ask questions.

The company I work with is small, so we don't require too much strength from the solution.

I would definitely recommend the solution to others. I'm still working with MicroStrategy and want to grow more on the MicroStrategy front. There's a lot to learn with new features coming out soon.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

SumitGadgilwar
Solution Architect at ixtel
MSP
A user-friendly dashboard, with good technical support and an easy initial setup

• "The dashboard is user-friendly."
  • "In the dossier section, they have something called documents, which is very good, but they are implementing something called dossiers also. If we compare it with the BI tools like Tableau, the canvas which MicroStrategy provides is not that great. The formatting options are limited is dossiers. In terms of formatting and making the reports more presentable, it's lagging a little bit behind."

What is most valuable?

The hyper-intelligence is the solution's most valuable feature.

The dashboard is user-friendly.

Users don't have to log in to the system to see the reports. That's a very good advantage of the solution.

What needs improvement?

In the dossier section, they have something called documents, which is very good, but they are implementing something called dossiers also. If we compare it with the BI tools like Tableau, the canvas which MicroStrategy provides is not that great. The formatting options are limited is dossiers. In terms of formatting and making the reports more presentable, it's lagging a little bit behind.

I believe in a future release they already have scheduled hyper-voice and hyper-screen features. It will be very good when these are added to the solution.

I've been using the solution for four months.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

Technical support is very good. We're satisfied with the level of assistance.

We are using Power BI as well, but MicroStrategy is implemented at the enterprise level. Which solution we use depends on the project requirements.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the cloud deployment model.

I very strongly recommend the solution. I'd rate nine out of ten.

RF
Supervisor Tecnico at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use with good storage capabilities and a simple initial setup

• "Overall, the solution is an easy product to use."
  • "The user interface needs improvement. It needs to be more intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to deploy financial software.

What is most valuable?

The storage is the solution's most valuable feature.

Overall, the solution is an easy product to use.

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs improvement. It needs to be more intuitive.

The solution needs to enhance its integration servers.

The requirements needed to deploy the solution could be improved.

I've been using the solution for six months.

The solution is stable.

It depends, but mostly the solution is scalable. Right now, we have 20-25 users on the solution. We occasionally use the product but do plan to increase usage in the future.

Technical support has been good. So far, we're satisfied with their level of service.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was easy. To deploy the solution takes a week or less.

I handled the implementation myself.

We didn't evaluate other solutions before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model and use both Microsoft as well as AWS as providers.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.