MicroStrategy Usher OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

MicroStrategy Usher is #2 ranked solution in top Mobile Identity tools. IT Central Station users give MicroStrategy Usher an average rating of 8 out of 10. MicroStrategy Usher is most commonly compared to OneLogin Workforce Identity:MicroStrategy Usher vs OneLogin Workforce Identity.
What is MicroStrategy Usher?
MicroStrategy provides a fast and intuitive analytics experience across web, desktop, and mobile interfaces. Business analysts, IT developers, and administrators can seamlessly create logical data models with Architect and deliver custom applications using a powerful set of APIs. Usher is a revolutionary digital identity product built on the MicroStrategy platform. It provides secure logical and physical access and enhances enterprise productivity by replacing passwords, tokens and physical IDs with secure mobile identity badges. Usher provides analytics, identity discovery, mustering, and two-way communication features to conduct complex analytics and optimize productivity for Badge users and can view real-time maps of user activity and quickly communicate with dispersed teams at the touch of a button.
MicroStrategy Usher Buyer's Guide

Download the MicroStrategy Usher Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

MicroStrategy Usher Customers
Target, Hilton Worldwide, Gucci, Four Seasons, Facebook, Coach, Zurich, Adidas Group, eHarmony, Sonic Automotive
MicroStrategy Usher Video

Archived MicroStrategy Usher Reviews (more than two years old)

RC
Head of Business Intelligence Infrastructure and Operations at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Excellent security platform for an enterprise setup

• "The self-service and the dossier components as well as the hyper intelligence."
  • "The skills needed now are very niche and quite low level and they need to simplify the development aspect of it."

What is our primary use case?

I'm the head of business intelligence for infrastructure and operations at a large bank. We are a customer of MicroStrategy. Our primary use case of the solution is for enterprise data management as well as self-service and mobile. We also use transaction services for apps.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features would probably be the self-service and the dossier components as well as the hyper-intelligence.

What needs improvement?

I think they are working on improvements and are in the process of changing the development to be more GUI-based rather than code-based. I think that will be good, we're waiting for that transition. I think the skills needed now are very niche and quite low level and they need to simplify the development aspect of it.

They have a feature called transaction services and as an additional feature, I'd like to see that in the dossier, which is your build-it-yourself front-end. If we can get to where you can build forms and write back and transaction services from that interface, it would be great.

We've been using the product for six years.

The newer versions of the product are far more stable than the older ones. We haven't had any problems.

It's definitely a scalable product, we've been able to scale to over 5,000 users. That includes finance people, IT, business users, service management, and also our HR department. They all use it.

Technical support is very good.

We previously used Microsoft Reporting Services and SharePoint. We switched because I think the self-service component was a very big factor for us as well as the data governance component which was key for our needs. The semantic layer that MicroStrategy has, is what we were after.

It was pretty straightforward. We're a large organization and we used a partner and were able to deploy in three months.

I can't comment on setup cost but we pay an annual maintenance fee and that includes support and upgrades.

Prior to purchasing we had a look at QlikView, at Microsoft Business Intelligence, and we looked at Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

There are a lot of visualization tools, but not many enterprise BI tools. If you are going to run an enterprise shop for a big organization, don't pick the small tools designed for small team reporting otherwise you're going to really encounter barriers. MicroStrategy fits best in an enterprise setup.

I would rate this product a nine out of ten.

RF
Supervisor Tecnico at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use with good storage capabilities and a simple initial setup

• "Overall, the solution is an easy product to use."
  • "The user interface needs improvement. It needs to be more intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to deploy financial software.

What is most valuable?

The storage is the solution's most valuable feature.

Overall, the solution is an easy product to use.

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs improvement. It needs to be more intuitive.

The solution needs to enhance its integration servers.

The requirements needed to deploy the solution could be improved.

I've been using the solution for six months.

The solution is stable.

It depends, but mostly the solution is scalable. Right now, we have 20-25 users on the solution. We occasionally use the product but do plan to increase usage in the future.

Technical support has been good. So far, we're satisfied with their level of service.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was easy. To deploy the solution takes a week or less.

I handled the implementation myself.

We didn't evaluate other solutions before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model and use both Microsoft as well as AWS as providers.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about MicroStrategy Usher vs. Oracle Identity Governance and other solutions. Updated: November 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SumitGadgilwar
Solution Architect at ixtel
MSP
A user-friendly dashboard, with good technical support and an easy initial setup

• "The dashboard is user-friendly."
  • "In the dossier section, they have something called documents, which is very good, but they are implementing something called dossiers also. If we compare it with the BI tools like Tableau, the canvas which MicroStrategy provides is not that great. The formatting options are limited is dossiers. In terms of formatting and making the reports more presentable, it's lagging a little bit behind."

What is most valuable?

The hyper-intelligence is the solution's most valuable feature.

The dashboard is user-friendly.

Users don't have to log in to the system to see the reports. That's a very good advantage of the solution.

What needs improvement?

In the dossier section, they have something called documents, which is very good, but they are implementing something called dossiers also. If we compare it with the BI tools like Tableau, the canvas which MicroStrategy provides is not that great. The formatting options are limited is dossiers. In terms of formatting and making the reports more presentable, it's lagging a little bit behind.

I believe in a future release they already have scheduled hyper-voice and hyper-screen features. It will be very good when these are added to the solution.

I've been using the solution for four months.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

Technical support is very good. We're satisfied with the level of assistance.

We are using Power BI as well, but MicroStrategy is implemented at the enterprise level. Which solution we use depends on the project requirements.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the cloud deployment model.

I very strongly recommend the solution. I'd rate nine out of ten.

it_user449241
Business Intelligence Specialist at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
Its Transaction Services feature allows users to write back to the data source.

What is most valuable?

• Transaction Services: Allows users to write back to the data source.
  • Distribution Services: Enables distribution of reports, documents, and dashboards using different options.
  • Metadata: Object reuse.
  • Security: Granular, row-level data security.
  • Office add-on.
  • Software development kit (SDK): Allows app customization.

How has it helped my organization?

• Enterprise reporting through the entire organization.
  • Sharing same data among the users.
  • Single version of the truth.

What needs improvement?

Visual Insight/Desktop: It is trailing behind competitors such as Tableau or QlikView, which have more functionality.

The Developer app could get some UI enhancements.

I have used it for about six years.

• Old versions like 9.00 had several issues with metadata.
  • Version 9.4/9.5 was stable.
  • Version 10 is pretty much stable.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical Support is average, 7/10. It depends what kind of issue you are facing.

We were using legacy apps with really little opportunity to perform data analytics.

MicroStrategy (Enterprise): It takes some time to setup the metadata (mapping tables and creating the objects). Once you have this in place, it’s really nice to start working on reports and dashboards. Overall, I’d say it’s straightforward.

MicroStrategy has improved the way they license the modules, but I still consider it expensive.

Before choosing this product, we evaluated IBM Cognos, Oracle, and SAP BO.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for an enterprise BI app, MicroStrategy includes:

• Data discovery
  • Analytics
  • Enterprise reporting
  • Dashboards
  • Distribution
  • Mobile
  • Central administration
  • Granular security
  • Single repository (metadata)
  • Modelling
  • Automation (scripts)
  • Testing

All you need in one enterprise app.

it_user505683
Senior Business Intelligence Developer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The Universe Designer allows users to manipulate data without facing databases' inherent complexity.

What is most valuable?

The Universe Designer is this product’s most valuable feature because it functions as a semantic layer that allows the users to manipulate data without facing databases' inherent complexity.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows self-service business intelligence, empowering the users and decreasing their dependency on the IT people. It also allows the developers to focus on more value-added activities, so in the end, I consider it a win-win situation.

What needs improvement?

The Web Intelligence graphic capabilities can be improved. They exist, but they are quite basic. These days, users require more advanced graphic capabilities than the ones provided by this version. One example that I can use is that once, we required a waterfall graph and it wasn't available, so we needed a workaround in order to overcome this limitation.

I have used it for three years.

We have encountered stability issues, but only rarely.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is good.

I did not previously use a different solution.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate Power BI & MicroStrategy.

it_user501969
Manager, Business Intelligence Technology Team at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It accesses a wider range of data sources out of the box than anything else I have used.

What is most valuable?

• Scalability: Regardless of the size of the database, I can use MicroStrategy to access it.
  • Flexibility: MicroStrategy accesses a wider range of data sources out of the box than anything else I have used.
  • Ease of use for non-technical user: Most of my users are non-technical and usually a one-day hands-on session with the software allows them to easily begin to become analysts instead of report writers.

How has it helped my organization?

Our customer service team had someone who was manually querying several databases, putting the information together into Excel spreadsheets and emailing them out, usually requiring most of the morning for that individual. Now, we have a dashboard that runs early each morning and is automatically emailed to the supervisors each morning. It also contains additional data that they previously did not have access to.

What needs improvement?

Some of the web interface is still not as good as it could be. I've seen more advanced and cleaner-looking interfaces. Some features available in the thick client are not available in the web client.

I have been using it for 20+ years.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

Technical support is 7/10. It takes too long for initial technical support cases to get action on. Once you get an engineer working with you, they stay with you until it is resolved.

I previously used Essbase and Cognos, both of which required too much technical knowledge by the user, are not scalable, and with neither is it easy to access multiple different data sources.

Initial setup was straightforward.

Don’t bother looking at CPU-based licensing, and get a good idea from the start as to how many true super users (or power users) you need and then just get simple web analyst licenses for the others.

We evaluated OBIEE, SAP BusinessObjects, and IBM Cognos.

What other advice do I have?

If you are a small- to medium-size company, go with Windows based servers.

it_user499692
Microstrategy Administrator/System Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Its Intelligent Cube technology is an in-memory version of report data. Users can slice and dice data without having to re-execute SQL against the data warehouse.

What is most valuable?

OLAP feature: It uses Intelligent Cube technology which is the most important and game-changing introduction from version 9. Intelligent Cube technology is an in-memory version of report data that can be manipulated by the MicroStrategy Analytical Engine. MicroStrategy Desktop, Web, and Office users can slice and dice data in reports within Intelligent Cubes without having to re-execute SQL against the data warehouse. It’s a huge performance-enhancement technique.

Data discovery: With the introduction on version 10, MicroStrategy enhanced its data discovery feature which helps any user to easily analyze their data by importing Excel spreadsheets, etc. It allows you to connect live with any database, Hadoop, or OLAP. You can import your own query and integrate it with MicroStrategy. These options give you powerful ways to analyze and discover your data, which helps enable important business decisions. See sample below.

It has a robust engine compared to other BI tools available in the market.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has improved our ability to provide self-service visualization/dashboarding capability. These days, business users are more inclined toward self-analytics, rather than coming to a developer with every small request. I think MicroStrategy has done great in this particular field.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve visualization and dashboards, as it is getting tough competition from Tableau in the area. With the release of version 10.4, they did very good.

I have used it for over six years.

There are absolutely no issues when it comes to stability, and it works best when you have a very good DB schema layer. A perfect schema has always been a strength of MicroStrategy, when compared to other BI tools.

No issues with the scalability; it’s a strength of MicroStrategy, because of the product’s robust SQL engine. It has a great SQL optimization process that pushes requests to the database.

It has a very active user community and they are more than happy to help you with your questions and issues. As far as tech support from MicroStrategy is concerned, I have seen a decline in last year compared to the past. I hope they improve in this area.

I have noticed that good technical guys left the department or no longer work there, which is affecting the quick resolution of any issues, but MicroStrategy is trying to rebuild its tech support department, which they were known for.

When it comes to business intelligence and reporting, I have almost always used MicroStrategy, with a little bit of Tableau.

Initial setup of the tool was very complex and challenging. They made you do lots of steps before you can say it’s done. However, with the release of the latest version, setup has become extremely easy and it’s just a single-step process.

It’s an expensive tool and I have seen that only medium- and large-size enterprise can afford its setup and maintenance cost. Licensing is a little bit tricky and it depends on the initial buying agreement.

We have evaluated other tools such as Microsoft BI, SAP’s BusinessObjects and IBM Cognos, but MicroStrategy came out the winner for the solution to the problem we were looking to solve, and it aligned with our team structure. We looked at Tableau and Spotfire, as well, but they were eliminated in the first round, because of the nature of the problem we were looking to solve.

What other advice do I have?

Before implementing MicroStrategy, you have to get a good resource who knows the product inside out and a data warehousing structure for long-lasting performance.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I work as a consultant and the company I used to work for was a MicroStrategy gold partner.
Product Categories