MikroTik Routers and Switches Overview

MikroTik Routers and Switches is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Routers. It is most often compared to Cisco Enterprise Routers: MikroTik Routers and Switches vs Cisco Enterprise Routers

What is MikroTik Routers and Switches?
The Made for Mikrotik program consists of two parts: "Mikrotik certified Integrators" and "Mikrotik certified Accessories". MikroTik Certified Accessories are made by Mikrotik approved companies, who make accessories specifically for MikroTik products. This includes RouterBOARD compatible cases, outdoor antennas and other products. MikroTik Certified Integrators are companies who make turnkey solutions based on Mikrotik RouterBOARD and RouterOS, their products include assembled CPE/AP devices, preinstalled Integrated antennas and Rackmount solutions assembled for and with RouterOS.
MikroTik Routers and Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the MikroTik Routers and Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

MikroTik Routers and Switches Customers
ABB, Boingo Wireless, JPL, HP, Allied Telesis, iPass, Mips Technologies, MicroAge, Matsushita, Telia, undp, WFP, NASA
MikroTik Routers and Switches Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about MikroTik Routers and Switches pricing:
  • "There are not any external or hidden costs."
  • "The pricing is very reasonable and is one of the main selling points for MikroTik devices."
  • "There is no licensing fee in addition to the hardware, but we do pay an annual fee for support."
  • "In our last project, we used two hundred units and the price was approximately 500 Shekels ($140 USD)."
  • "MikroTik is very cost-effective and quite good for the price. It performs very well. For one of our customers, the existing setup comprises Cisco Catalyst switches, and it is about 10 to 15 years old. We're looking into upgrading in a cost-effective way to get the performance and yet still be at par with the quality and expectations that customers have from Cisco. Price-wise, Cisco is really expensive, and customers are expecting something different than Cisco so that they can save on IT costs. They don't have the same budget that they had before when they installed Cisco products. That's why they're looking for a solution that can provide performance and features without too much money or investment. We're looking at some alternative brands, such as NETGEAR and MikroTik, to support our proposal."

TS
IT Systems Engineer at Mozolo Technologies
Reseller
Good pricing with good features that are comparable to Cisco

What is our primary use case?

We use MikroTik both in our company and clients. Even extended to our household clients. MikroTik devices offer you similar features you'll normally get from high priced devices like Cisco and HP, however at a fraction of the costs. This works very nicely with us since our clients are mainly small and medium. The device price doesn't dictate whether the client gets a solution. VLANs, L3 Routing, Load Balancing, HotSpot are amongst some of the features we normally use in many of our deployments.

• "We're very happy with what we are getting out of the solution in general. The features are good. They're comparable to other brands such as Cisco and HP."
  • "The solution's website isn't that good. When I go to it, I can't find what I'm looking for. However, if I go to a third party's website, I can easily find the information."

What other advice do I have?

We use the solution and we provide services to clients as well. It's much cheaper than when we used Cisco and other devices. We're a reseller and solutions provider. I do advise people to use the solution, because of the price and features. The more you learn is the more you realize how valuable MikroTik devices are. One thing I would mention to others is that MikroTik is on Linux, but there's nothing like WinBox for Linux, or what you might call a Linux box. You need to do something that looks like WinBox, because if you're using Ubuntu, you will need to use WinBox and there isn't one for…
BW
Information Technology Manager at a logistics company with 51-200 employees
It seems to run on its own without maintenance but is old, slow, and will elsewhere for replacement.

What is our primary use case?

MikroTik is our main router for incoming and outgoing traffic throughout the system architecture.

• "We have not had any downtime with it. It has been a solid performer that way."
  • "It is slow, old and unfriendly."

What other advice do I have?

My main advice to people considering this solution based on my experience is that I would suggest looking for other robust solutions. I know they are out there because I have used them. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best. I would rate MikroTik routers and switches as a six-out-of-ten. It seems to be working by its own devices but there is just too much old, slow, and unfriendly about them.
Learn what your peers think about MikroTik Routers and Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manager, Technical Planning and Solutions Design at Galaxy Backbone Ltd
Reasonably priced and the bandwidth management capabilities are good

What is our primary use case?

I am a solution provider and I deploy this product for my customers. Primarily, it is used for last-mile access. When I deploy it in an enterprise environment, It is normally for bandwidth control.

• "The most valuable feature is its bandwidth management ability."
  • "They should improve technical support and make direct access available to the customers."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing MikroTik Routers is to make sure that they have the requisite toolsets onboard to manage the devices so that they don't run into problems. Otherwise, it is a good and inexpensive product to use. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
ZV
Engineer in Computer Sciences at a government with 201-500 employees
Stable with good routing features and a large amount of online documentation

• "The pricing is very reasonable. It's not too expensive."
  • "The initial setup can be a bit difficult. The configuration can take a lot of time."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company. Originally, we had little MikroTik routers installed at first. Afterward, we bought a cloud core router and we've had that at this point for six or seven years. We use the solution both at our company and for our clients. I'd advise new users to take some time and learn about the configurations. They need to be prepared for a bit of a learning curve when it comes to implementation. However, after that, it's not a problem to use it. Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
LS
User at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good price point, very versatile and good configuration capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for high performance, low-cost routers and for low-cost wifi environments where we need specific configurations.

• "The cost and versatility are the solution's most valuable features. You can do anything with them if you know how to. The solution has a whole portfolio of routing features available."
  • "They could improve their product if they set, for instance, a controller for wireless LAN. That would allow them to really have something more than an access point."

What other advice do I have?

We buy from wholesalers, but we don't have a special selling agreement with anyone. I'd rate the solution ten out of ten when it fits. It's useless if it doesn't fit. If it fits, I don't think there's a better product when you are looking at price-performance. Overall, I'd rate them nine out of ten. Any requirement would be fulfilled from Aruba or from Cisco, but not necessarily from Mikrotik, which is why I don't give them a perfect score.
Team Lead at a comms service provider with 1-10 employees
Traffic classification is helpful, provides convenient debugging features, and is flexible

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to route traffic with dynamic routing protocols like BGP. We also use it for filtering traffic and making network translations to provide access to services that are behind it. In this regard, it acts as a firewall. It hosts a lot of B2B sessions with our internal and external peers.

• "The flexible IP firewall and IP network address translation make it very easy to give access to internal services."
  • "I would like to see a cluster feature added, where multiple devices can be configured and managed as one. One is in a standby state while the other is active, and if one fails then the other takes over."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for those who don't need a very stable solution. You will not have zero-downtime provided by MikroTik. Also, if you need clustered routers then this solution will not work. However, if you are willing to update several times a month with several minutes of downtime while upgrading and rebooting, then it will be fine. The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is to write the network plan out before implementing changes. Then, go only by the steps of the plan, and do not deviate. Overall, it is a very good solution with a lot of features. I…
GF
Technical Support Engineer at Point PC
A small and robust unit that is straightforward to install and has lots of features

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the solutions that we implement for our customers. Our primary customers are Fiber to the home (FTTH), which are small customers who are connecting by fiber.

• "We have found this solution is quite robust and there are a lot of features in a small device."
  • "In the Israeli market, we are in need of Hebrew support."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that this is a small package with huge features and you should try it on your own. The biggest lesson that I learned from this solution is that we underestimated the power and value of MikroTik. We primarily implemented Cisco and Aruba solutions, but since then, we have found that MikroTik can be used in place of these bigger brands. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
RT
Chief Solutions Architect at Tech2go Strategic IT Solutions
A cheaper solution that delivers the same performance and capabilities as the top brands

What is our primary use case?

We manage wide area networks for our clients nationwide. We run a data center and provide internet services. We use MikroTik for our network operation centers. We also manage WiFi for hospitalities and a lot of multi-dwelling units. We have experience in deploying MikroTik, NETGEAR, and HP products.

• "They are very good at providing the bandwidth for multi-tenants and multi-dwelling units. We're managing WiFi hotspots for hundreds of locations, and the speed and performance are quite there. They also have very cheap 10G products that come with really good and flexible software. They are way cheaper than the top brands, and they're able to deliver the same performance and capabilities."
  • "They lack the extended warranty for the equipment. They only provide a warranty for one year as compared to the other vendors who offer a warranty for three years, five years, and lifetime, etc."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten for the reliability and the performance that you get out of it. I wouldn't rate it a ten because of the warranty limitation. There is also a learning curve to be able to successfully manage it, but once you do that, it's going to work wonders. It's also not that expensive.
See 14 more MikroTik Routers and Switches Reviews
Product Categories
Routers Ethernet Switches
Download our free MikroTik Routers and Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.