Mahmood Shah
Solutions architect at NetSys
Good load balancing and multi-routing with a good user interface

• "The solution offers very good multi-routing."
  • "The solution needs to improve its security firewalls and mirror that of, for example, Sophos, or FortiGate."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution as a firewall, and for routing purposes, and for multi-band load balancing.

What is most valuable?

The load balancing is very good.

The solution offers very good multi-routing.

The firewall is very good.

For the interface, I always use Winbox.

What needs improvement?

The MikroTik weblog, web user log, was supposed to be remotely accessible. However, it was not as good as I had wanted it to be. I found its functionality disappointing. There's no proper interface. They show only IPs but not the DNS address or complete address. It only shows the IP addresses. Also, they only show real-time data and not the history of the user's log address. We would like to see a history on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis.

The solution needs to focus on UTM in its devices.

I have about five years of experience working with this solution.

We've found the stability of the solution to be good enough.

The solution is quite easy to scale. We haven't had any problems expanding the solution when we need to.

I've never contacted technical support. If I have issues with the solution, I try to handle it myself. So far, I've never needed anyone else's assistance.

I've previously used FortiGate and Fortinet devices. They have very good security and firewalls.

The initial setup is a little bit complex for beginners. It's difficult to install the router and for initializing from the beginning all of the configurations we need, like setting up the initial firewall rules, for example.

If a user knows all the basic steps, the deployment only takes about ten to 15 minutes.

I handled the implementation myself. I didn't need the assistance of an integrator or reseller.

What other advice do I have?

I'd warn others that a tutorial or a bit of learning is required before beginning. It helps if a user has a bit of understanding about the solution. There's some complexity in the terminologies and surrounding the initial implementation process.

Overall, it's a good product, but it requires a bit of improvement, especially in relation to UTM and security.

I'd rate it eight out of ten.

DC
ICT Manager/Systems Administrator at a university with 201-500 employees
Great performance, competitive pricing, and very stable

• "We've enjoyed the fact that it has very good performance."
  • "The solution needs to offer better documentation."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product for load balancing and as a gateway.

What is most valuable?

The stability of the solution is excellent.

We've enjoyed the fact that it has very good performance.

The scalability potential is very good.

The solution is very easy to install and the implementation doesn't take too long.

The pricing is very competitive.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to offer better documentation. That is what is lacking right now.

The user interface could be a bit better. It could be a bit more user-friendly with a bit of a re-design.

I've used this solution for a couple of years at this point.

The solution is very stable and we've found the performance to be excellent. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't seem to crash or freeze. The reliability is excellent overall.

The scalability capabilities have been very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so with relative ease.

We have about 1,300 users on the solution right now.

I've never been in touch with technical support just yet. I've never had a reason to reach out. Therefore, I cannot comment on how helpful or responsive they might be.

I've also used Cisco, Aruba, and HPE, for example.

The initial setup is not difficult or complex. It's straightforward and very easy to implement. The deployment process is very fast as well. It only really takes a couple of minutes and you are ready to go.

We are a team of four, and we can handle any deployment or maintenance tasks quite easily.

I handled the implementation myself, in-house. I did not need the assistance of an integrator or consultant when I deployed it.

The pricing is excellent. It's very reasonable and much less than, for example, Cisco.

Typically, on the initial package, you do need a license.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution, on a scale from one to ten, at a seven. For the most part, we've been pleased with its capabilities.

I'd recommend the solution, especially from a pricing point of view. If Cisco is out of a company's budget, it's definitely an option.

Learn what your peers think about MikroTik Routers and Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PP
Director at Navyug Networks
Stable routers and switches with a useful GUI

• "I like MikroTik's GUI. It's completely handy and easy to handle because of its GUI. Despite other brands like Cisco urging me to switch, I didn't because they don't have a GUI. This is the most comfortable thing in my project that anyone can use easily. It's effortless to maintain MikroTik routers because both screens make it very easy in GUI mode. You can easily interact with your hardware."
  • "It could be more scalable. Product awareness could also be better. There's a lack of awareness when it comes to MikroTik. People only know about Cisco and others, and they won't rely on MikroTik. This is primarily because of hardware limitations. While this product is good economically, it's unsuitable for high-end projects. In the next release, I want this product to be more compatible."

What is our primary use case?

We're currently using MikroTik Routers and Switches for around six gigabytes, and we're upgrading to about 13 or 14 gigs. It's unable to handle that much upload, and that's why we're upgrading it.

What is most valuable?

I like MikroTik's GUI. It's completely handy and easy to handle because of its GUI. Despite other brands like Cisco urging me to switch, I didn't because they don't have a GUI. This is the most comfortable thing in my project that anyone can use easily.

It's effortless to maintain MikroTik routers because both screens make it very easy in GUI mode. You can easily interact with your hardware.

What needs improvement?

It could be more scalable. Product awareness could also be better. There's a lack of awareness when it comes to MikroTik. People only know about Cisco and others, and they won't rely on MikroTik. This is primarily because of hardware limitations. While this product is good economically, it's unsuitable for high-end projects. In the next release, I want this product to be more compatible.

I have been using MikroTik Routers and Switches for the last eight or nine years.

It's a completely reliable solution.

MikroTik Routers and Switches aren't scalable. We have reached the scalability limit with MikroTik. Because MikroTik didn't design 40 gigs or 100 gig routers, it's not scalable. The last MikroTik model is only a ten-gig router. We have 32 or 33 MikroTik routers at the moment.

MikroTik support is reliable, and I think that there is no issue with them. Their support is good. Time is a little, but they provide for their customers.

The initial setup was straightforward. The installation was very easy because you are remote, and a beginner can also set it up easily.

I implemented this solution by myself with the help of my team.

In terms of the economic side, we're completely satisfied. The price is affordable for both SMEs and enterprises.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to new users if they deal with two or three gigs of traffic. Beyond that, it can't handle the load.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give MikroTik Routers and Switches an eight.

Iman Mo
Senior Network Administrator at Calm blue ambassador - abcallcenter
Easy to deploy and offers good technical support but troubleshooting can be difficult

• "The stability is good."
  • "Troubleshooting can be complex."

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution as both a router, and we are using this for a wireless access point. And, we use the VPN, which is really helpful too.

We also use it to connect to other branches that we have, and other organizations that we have to be connected to for our company.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup isn't too hard. The deployment is quite easy and rather quick as well.

The stability is good.

Technical support is excellent.

What needs improvement?

Troubleshooting can be complex.

Sometimes, we see some problems specifically around the upgrading of the software and framework. It's not the upgrading that's hard. It's the fact that there isn't enough space. Typically, if we find we have a lack of space we must upgrade and the issue goes away.

Scaling can be an issue.

The stability is quite good. It's the kind of solution I recommend to other people to use as we don't really have any issues with it and find it to be reliable.

The product could be a little bit more scalable. The sizing and scaling depend on the device that you are going to buy. I'm going to say this is scalable, however, you do need to plan ahead.

We have about 200 people using the solution currently.

At this point, we do not have plans to increase usage. If we do change, the biggest change will be to migrate from on-premises to the cloud.

Technical support is phenomenal. They are extremely helpful and responsive. We are quite satisfied with the level of support we are able to receive.

The initial setup isn't too difficult, however, the troubleshooting process can be a bit difficult.

The deployment process is easy and it doesn't take too long.

We initiated the assistance of a consultant and they proved to be quite helpful.

We pay a licensing fee on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and an end-user.

We use multiple deployment models, including cloud and on-premises.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. We're mostly happy with the product, however, there are areas of improvement that need to be addressed.

Hermann Medrano
Telecommunications Engineer at Universidad
Routers and switches that are easy to configure with applications, but it could be more stable and scalable

• "I think they have very strong routers because they have multiple processors. I like its easy configuration with applications. For example, configuration with Linux, Iptables, and routing protocols."
  • "Technical support could be better. They don't have good support like Cisco. It can also be more stable and scalable."

What is our primary use case?

I configure and implement WiFi internet and wide area networks using MikroTik Routers and Switches. I also use it for connectivity with end-users and for implementing a firewall and routing protocols.

What is most valuable?

I think they have very strong routers because they have multiple processors. I like its easy configuration with applications. For example, configuration with Linux, Iptables, and routing protocols.

What needs improvement?

Technical support could be better. They don't have good support like Cisco. It can also be more stable and scalable.

I have used MikroTik Routers and Switches within the past 12 months. I have vast experience with this solution. I have implemented it in other enterprises and also worked with my partners that have enterprises.

The stability of their switches is very poor. It doesn't have a good score with Spanning Tree Protocol, and it's very difficult to implement.

Scalability is very hard to implement because when I connect through the links, the network isn't going back.

Technical support could be better. MikroTik Routers and Switches don't have technical support in the cloud.

We use MikroTik Routers, but for switches, we use Cisco or Huawei. Clients prefer Cisco, Huawei, and McAfee, depending on their budget. MikroTik's equipment is very cheap.

It's easy to implement, but it's very hard to fix it when we have trouble. Depending on the project, it usually takes four days to implement this solution.

I implemented this solution in universities, banks, and commercial centers. We have two or three people in charge of deployment and maintenance.

MikroTik's equipment is very cheap compared to Cisco and Huawei.

What other advice do I have?

The routers are very good, and they are very cheap. We can buy a lot of these routers for backup.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give MikroTik Routers and Switches a six.

RJ
Firewall Engineer at a marketing services firm with 1-10 employees
MSP
Useful hotspot capabilities, reliable, and many use cases

• "I have found one of the most valuable features to be the hotspot network."
  • "They need to create a license for IBS. I have a lot of clients that have spam on their networks."

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use this solution for hotspot networks but also for lots of other things, for example, to connect more than one type of server, merging more than one connection together, firewall, multiple ID cameras, wireless device to connect different sites, and VPNs.

What is most valuable?

I have found one of the most valuable features to be the hotspot network.

What needs improvement?

They need to create a license for IBS. I have a lot of clients that have spam on their networks. We need to purchase a firewall inside of this solution in order to make their networks secure from spam and to protect the blocking of wanted public IDs that are put in it. Additionally, there is an antivirus needed.

In the next release, there could be an improved user interface.

I have been using the solution for approximately 10 years.

The solution is stable. However, we do sometimes have some issues but they are normally fixed in an update.

We have approximately 10 people using the solution in my organization.

I have not used the support. I have always found information on the internet to solve my problems.

The installation can take anywhere from one hour to one day depending on the environment and the skillset of the person installing it.

I have done the implementation of the solution. There are times where I need an additional technician to assist me.

When I compare the price of this solution to competitors it is priced a little high. There is not a license required for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others for a hotspot network.

I rate MikroTik Routers and Switches eight out of ten.

PB
Network Security Engineer at a outsourcing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A versatile solution that is easy to use for optimizing traffic flow in our network

• "We make use of a script that will automatically re-route traffic when connections are slow."
  • "The manageability of the web-based UI needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I have worked more with the MikroTik Routers, as opposed to their switching products.

We use this solution to route traffic in our network. For example, if one group is experiencing a slow connection then we can re-route the traffic. This is possible because we have multiple links on our premises.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the versatility and ease of use.

What needs improvement?

The manageability of the web-based UI needs to be improved. I still prefer to use the Winbox application.

It would be great if they included some next-generation features in the future.

I have been using MikroTik Routers and Switches for about three years.

We had some trouble with the latest patch that was released. There were issues with high CPU usage, so we reverted back to the previous version.

This is a scalable solution. We have between 1,000 and 1,500 users.

We do not rely on technical support from the vendor. We do our own research, test situations in our lab, and solve our own problems.

The installation is straightforward.

Our in-house team deployed our routers.

This product is cheaper than competing products by other vendors.

I was not the person who selected and deployed this solution.

What other advice do I have?

We have not had any issues with our MikroTik routers and I would definitely recommend them.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Orlando Silva
Manager at Truenet
Cost-effective, resilient, and the technical support is good

• "This equipment is resilient and available at a good price."
  • "The Soft-GRE support needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have a website with online shopping, and the MikroTik products are part of our network infrastructure. We also resell these products, and our customers buy them for both wired routing and wireless access points.

What is most valuable?

This equipment is resilient and available at a good price.

The operating system on the router, RouterOS, is open-source.

What needs improvement?

The Soft-GRE support needs to be improved.

To use this product, people must have some network knowledge and a little bit of training on the MikroTik devices.

The payment conditions from the manufacture need to be improved. Nobody wants to pay immediately, especially for large companies like ISPs and big corporations.

I have been working with MikroTik Routers and Switches for 12 years.

In the past, we had heard complaints about stability. At this time, they are very stable.

As we are a master distributor, we have direct access to the MikroTik support team.

The technical support team is good, and we haven't had any issues with them.

This is not an easy product to install. You must have a little bit of training. For example, the IT people need to have a technician course.

Our in-house team is responsible for deployment and maintenance. We have approximately 35 people on our team.

The price of these products is good, which is one of the things that we like the best. When you buy a license, it is for life and you don't need to buy another one every year.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product but everything can improve a little bit. The product is not perfect.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Product Categories
Routers Ethernet Switches
Download our free MikroTik Routers and Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.