Kunal Sabharwal
CEO & Founder at Dextro Solutions LLP
Reseller
Powerful with good speed, reliability, and price

• "They have amazing speed and reliability, and they also provide value for money. They are pretty powerful."
  • "They can improve the way the user interface is laid out. Their user interface is slightly geeky. There is more than one way to do the same thing in the user interface, and they need to work on that."

What is our primary use case?

I am not using them personally. I've installed these in high-end residences and a few offices.

What is most valuable?

They have amazing speed and reliability, and they also provide value for money. They are pretty powerful.

What needs improvement?

They can improve the way the user interface is laid out. Their user interface is slightly geeky. There is more than one way to do the same thing in the user interface, and they need to work on that.

They should also provide official training and webinars to help us understand all of its capabilities and to be able to set it up easily.

It would be good if it comes with included tech support.

I have been using this solution for about three years.

They have good reliability.

I don't need them because I can get someone to install these for me.

Its initial setup is not very clear. There are multiple ways to do the same thing.

They are very cheap and not at all expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. My experience has been awesome. They have good reliability and speed.

I would advise others to go for it, but I would recommend either going through quite a lot of training before using this or having an expert who knows everything about it. You require eight-hour training to fully understand the capabilities of this solution.

I would rate MikroTik Routers and Switches a nine out of ten.

DS
Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Suited for small business, stable and easy to setup, but there are limitations to scalability

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for multiple things. It provides a hotspot gateway, triple PoE, login ID, authentication, and login tapes. We use it to provide a connection for our clients.

What is most valuable?

This is a good solution.

What needs improvement?

This solution is good, but my network is growing and it is no longer sufficient for us. We are considering a Hybrid model or we will replace MikroTik with another good OEM, such as Cisco, or Juniper. There are limitations to how many users you have simultaneously. It's a max of 300 users.

I have been using MikroTik Routers and Switches for three years.

We have not had any issues with stability,…

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for multiple things.

We use it to provide a connection for our clients.

What is most valuable?

This is a good solution.

What needs improvement?

I have been using MikroTik Routers and Switches for three years.

We have not had any issues with stability, but we experience some issues later as the box capacity is limited to 300  users.

This solution is scalable but it has its limitations. The box has a capacity of 300 using it simultaneously.

If my users keep growing, then we have to replace this solution.

Now currently one of our clients has 200 to 250 users.

Technical support is handled by another team.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Pricing is not an issue.

What other advice do I have?

For a small business, MikroTik is good but if you grow, then MikroTik cannot support it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about MikroTik Routers and Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
555,358 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RF
IT Infrastructure Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Stable, scalable, and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use MikroTik Routers. We use them for laboratory and integral solution purposes and different kinds of load balancing and network switching. We also use them for different kinds of use cases that highly rely on network switching. I am using the latest version, and I do automatic updates.

What is most valuable?

They are stable.

What needs improvement?

It would be very good if these products are accessible via different kinds of shells and GUI. It will make these solutions very usable.

They are stable.

They are scalable. The number of…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

They are stable.

They are stable.

They are scalable. The number of users varies based on the usage of the company, but generally, we have between 20 to 100 users.

I never used their technical support.

I didn't have any difficulty with the initial setup. They provide different kinds of documentation. As long as they provide an installation document, I don't have any problem with these installations and different kinds of procedures.

I installed it myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. We plan to keep using this solution.

I would rate MikroTik Routers an eight out of ten.

GM
Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Great wireless connectivity with a price-performance ratio to match

• "This solution is easy to configure and it's very flexible."
  • "The batch management could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use this solution for switch and routing.

What is most valuable?

This solution is easy to configure and it's very flexible.

What needs improvement?

The batch management could be improved.

I have been using this solution for approximately three to five years.

This solution is both very stable and scalable; we haven't experienced any issues with bugs.

We haven't had to contact technical support. We have a team of six engineers that handle all maintenance related issues.

For switches, we use Cisco. We are familiar with them and so are our clients. They are comfortable with the higher price.

The complexity of the initial setup depends on the client. The deployment can take a few weeks.

What other advice do I have?

MikroTik Routers and Switches are great. If you are having issues understanding how to properly use them, study materials and video lessons are available for a low-cost.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give MikroTik Routers and Switches a rating of eight.

The price-performance is great. I am sure there is a better solution out there (maybe Cisco ISR), but it would be more expensive.

AA
IT Manager at Yayasan Darul Quran Mulia
Suitable for small businesses, but not for large enterprises

• "The MikroTik Hotspot is great."
  • "The CPU load is too high. This causes the Internet to lag."

What is our primary use case?

We use MikroTik Routers and Switches as a router and firewall. We also use it to manage our Hotspot users.

What is most valuable?

The MikroTik Hotspot is great. My company uses the Captive Portal as a staff login to access the internet and the company portal. Via the Hotspot, my company connects to the API.

What needs improvement?

The overall performance could be improved. The CPU load is too high. This causes the Internet to lag.

MikroTik should be open source.

I have been using MikroTik Routers and Switches for roughly four to five years.

The MikroTik operating system is not open source. The API is limited.

Sometimes we consult with the online community, but it's quite limited in Indonesia — there are not many MikroTik users here.

The initial setup was complex, but not too difficult in the end.

What other advice do I have?

Compared to Cisco, I don't think MikroTik is very good. MikroTik is good for start-ups and small businesses with small budgets. If you have a big budget, I would recommend using
UniFi, or Cisco.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give MikroTic a rating of seven.

Stanislav Danko
IT Specialist at ITISEL
Transforms a computer into a reliable network router

What is most valuable?

The main reason we use this solution is for the price — it's very cheap. Personally, I know that Fortinet, Cisco, and Palo Alto are great products, but my customers are just interested in the lowest price. I can't change their minds, it's up to them.

I have been using this solution for a few years.

MikroTik Routers and Switches are both scalable and stable.

I haven't had to contact technical support. I enjoy studying configuration on my own.

I hope to stop using this solution and switch over to FortiGate soon.

The…

What is most valuable?

The main reason we use this solution is for the price — it's very cheap.

I have been using this solution for a few years.

MikroTik Routers and Switches are both scalable and stable.

I hope to stop using this solution and switch over to FortiGate soon.

The initial setup is not hard, but it's not necessarily easy either. Upgrading can be difficult with MikroTik. Sometimes, when I need to reboot or change software, MikroTik crashes. When this happens, I need to physically change the configuration.

We have our own small team that handled deployment.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who prefer price.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of five.

MN
Owner at it logic
Scalable, easy to use, but no local support in India

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for high-speed wireless connections.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use.

I have been using this solution for approximately four years.

I have found this solution to be stable.

MikroTik Routers and Switches are scalable.

There needs to be better support for this solution in India. We have no local support.

I have previously used Cisco Cloud Service Routers, such as the L2 and L3.

The installation is very…

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for high-speed wireless connections.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use.

I have been using this solution for approximately four years.

I have found this solution to be stable.

MikroTik Routers and Switches are scalable.

I have previously used Cisco Cloud Service Routers, such as the L2 and L3.

The installation is very easy.

I did the implementation of the solution myself.

There is a one-time license fee for the use of this solution and it is less expensive than Cisco products.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution to others.

I rate MikroTik Routers and Switches a seven out of ten.

VB
Head of Information technologies systems department at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Stable, simple installation, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We use MikroTik Routers and Switches for our CCTV, Voice IP, and .NET in our new stores.

What needs improvement?

MikroTik does not have a wireless solution. If they created a high-performance wireless solution we would deploy it in our infrastructure.

I have been using MikroTik Routers and Switches for approximately three years.

MikroTik Routers and Switches are stable.

We have not had any problem with the scalability of this solution.

We did not have any issues with the technical support.

The installation of MikroTik…

What needs improvement?

I have been using MikroTik Routers and Switches for approximately three years.

MikroTik Routers and Switches are stable.

We have not had any problem with the scalability of this solution.

We did not have any issues with the technical support.

The installation of MikroTik Routers and Switches is straightforward. It takes less time than other solutions, such as Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate MikroTik Routers and Switches an eight out of ten.

Product Categories
Routers Ethernet Switches
Download our free MikroTik Routers and Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.