MIMIX [EOL] OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is MIMIX [EOL]?
Complete, Scalable HA/DR Protection for IBM i What's New in MIMIX Availability 8.0?Today’s business environment demands continuous availability no matter what. Thousands of companies worldwide – from small businesses to global enterprises – count on MIMIX Availability to keep their data safe and their operations running smoothly. MIMIX Availability is the trusted industry leader in IBM i high availability and disaster recovery, protecting businesses from catastrophic events, server or storage failure, human error and even downtime normally associated with routine maintenance, queries, reports or backups.

MIMIX [EOL] is also known as Vision Solutions MIMIX.

Download the Database Development and Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

MIMIX [EOL] Customers
ACG Automotive, Autoliv, Takataês Manufacturing, AMPORTS, Faurecia, Unipres, Wheeler Machinery Company, PennEngineering, Parsons Corporation, Hindustan Dorr-Oliver Ltd. India, Amway India
MIMIX [EOL] Video

Archived MIMIX [EOL] Reviews (more than two years old)

Mohamed Ramses
IT Consultant at Ministry of Justice, Kuwait
A solution that offers excellent replication and easy implementation

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backup replication.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is data replication. Everything about the solution is very simple, which makes it easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The solution could use better dashboards for new users. They can look complicated until you get used to using the solution.

I've been using the solution for 18 years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is very scalable.

Technical support has been good.

I did not…

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backup replication.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is data replication.

Everything about the solution is very simple, which makes it easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for 18 years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is very scalable.

Technical support has been good.

I did not previously use another solution.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's very easy to implement. Deployment took about one hour. You only need one person for deployment and maintenance, so long as that person has a good administrative and operational background.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend this product. The replication portion of the solution is perfect.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

it_user742707
Application Manager with 10,001+ employees
Enables custom machine real-time replication process with verification of destination

What is most valuable?

Complete/custom machine real-time replication process (including apply and verification of destination).

How has it helped my organization?

Used it just as DR solution, but can be used in other scenarios as well (like a 24x7 solution).

What needs improvement?

Product works perfectly. Just for a new customer, a GUI with more functionality would help. Already offered VSP is a huge help for those not willing to work with a green screen.

Nine years.

Nine out of 10.

No previous DR solution used.

Initial setup done by Vision Solutions specialist. Implementation itself can be done by MIMIX professionals quickly and does not require downtime (except when performing the test switch after the implementation). Design and analysis of the replication configuration is the crucial part, can be time consuming and requires mainly client input. We used a specific Vision Solutions implementer very familiar with our Core Banking system and were very happy with his professional services.

Licenses are not cheap. Also for migration of licenses to a less powerful machine, Vision Solutions charges. In the recent infrastructure migration process, we used a POWER 8 machine with CBU option, that kept down license fees for both OS and MIMIX.

No, went straight to MIMIX as the best solution for IBM i without PowerHA.

What other advice do I have?

Calculate appropriate resources for running and managing the solution after the implementation.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Oracle, SAP and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: October 2021.
540,884 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user738699
Technical Director at a tech services company
Provides replication stability and its audit feature is valuable

What is most valuable?

Stability of replication and its audit feature. If systems and communications remain at a good level without problems, no problems will occur in MIMIX.

How has it helped my organization?

About 10 years ago, a large Portuguese bank successfully merged banking systems that were used in other countries because of the MIMIX replication solution.

What needs improvement?

Switch procedures are not as easy and straightforward as it may seem at first glance. The product needs a virtual switch and better programs to improve simplicity in the switch procedures.

I have been certified in MIMIX since 2000, with V4.1, so I use it for internal testing, self education, support and the development of associated tools.

With older versions there were some issues, but with this version (8.1) even with complex sensitive software applications such as SQL collections, stability is very good.

No, from the simplest to the most complex environments, and with millions of transactions, MIMIX can adapt to any environment. Normally the adjustment is related to systems hardware and software.

The technical support is at a very high level, and reachable 24 hours a day.

I work with customers who had Vision Solutions OMS/ODS and switched to MIMIX because it has more advanced features such as easy monitoring and administration. They had more confidence in it.

Basic initial setup is very simple and, almost always, any problems are related to systems problems and/or communications.

It depends on which version of MIMIX is most suitable for your production systems, and according to the needs and expectations of the business.

While working with MIMIX for many years, I know the evolution of this product and have checked others and they are steps behind.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to deploy this product, do not use only simple replication. Take advantage of all the features that this product offers. Test the Role Swap (Virtual and Real) regularly, to ensure that the alternate system can take place from the production system at any time.

it_user738696
AS/400 Technical Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
​Data replication allows us to achieve the most strict HA requirements

What is most valuable?

Data replication functionality, with which it is very easy to achieve the most strict HA requirements and ensure business continuity. It is a very reliable product.

How has it helped my organization?

Keeping production and backup machines in synch, switching from production to backup within minutes without any data loss.

What needs improvement?

The MQSeries replication part doesn't work smoothly, sometimes requiring more manual activity to ensure synch between live and backup.

Ten years.

Not really, it works without any serious problems.

No, it can be tuned easily.

It is very professional, helpful, and experienced.

No, I used only MIMIX. I have no experience with other replication software.

It could be a very complex task. You have to very much know the nature of the data and system you want to replicate. During the initial phase I requested the help of support. Our replication environment was very complex (i.e. intra replication, automatic switch over procedure, etc.) so the initial setup took at least two weeks. It should be much less in case of a simpler environment.

It isn't a cheap product, but if you need a reliable HA solution and data protection is important to you, then MIMIX is your product, it worth every penny.

In our region, only two similar products were available for business then. I tested and compared them and MIMIX was the winner. Since than I haven't done a similar investigation.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend it to all shops using iSeries for which data availability is important, and looking for an HA solution. This is a really good product. Easy to use, easy to manage, and easy to configure. You can sleep without fear every night if MIMIX takes care of your data replication.

it_user226431
IT Architecture & Infrastructure Program Manager Consultant
It is fairly easy to add data groups and/or files to the intended replication group

What is most valuable?

The built-in remote journaling and the comparison tools.

How has it helped my organization?

We used it solely for IBM AS400 replication for disaster recovery/failover purposes.

What needs improvement?

Could make it easier to fix object errors.

Six to seven years.

Nothing out of what we expected for object replication.

No, fairly easy to add data groups and/or files to the intended replication group.

A nine out of 10.

At a previous installation, we used external storage for the AS/400 and did a complete hardware disaster recovery, which was a great DR strategy but provided very little HA.

Can seem complex for new product users.

Just tell them you're looking at a hardware-based DR solution and they should come back with a lower cost.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have at least two people learn it inside and out, so replication and object errors, when they occur, can be managed.

it_user280938
Systems iSeries & HA administrator at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Its failover capabilities and ability to have no system downtime are valuable to us, but replication errors need to be resolved.

What is most valuable?

Failover capabilities is valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

No system downtime High Availability (HA)

What needs improvement?

Replication errors need to be resolved.

I've been using it since 2005.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's fine. Technical Support: It's professional.

It was quite easy.

What about

What is most valuable?

Failover capabilities is valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

• No system downtime
  • High Availability (HA)

What needs improvement?

Replication errors need to be resolved.

I've been using it since 2005.

It's fine.

It's professional.

It was quite easy.

We implemented it in-house.

No other options evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

Buy the product, then roll it out as well.

AS400 (iSeries) Senior System Administrator at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Most data discrepancies are solved automatically, but they need to fine tune the monitoring criteria to reduce false alarms.

What is most valuable?

The major advantages are:

• Intuitive interface
  • Self-healing properties
  • Logical data structure and application philosophy
  • Low maintenance
  • Excellent support

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to have a stable, low maintenance, worry free disaster recovery solution that we can present to our management and our clients.

What needs improvement?

The monitoring part of MIMIX - VSP (Vision Solutions Portal) needs some improvements. They need to fine tune the monitoring criteria to reduce false alarms.

I've used it for four years.

No issues encountered, and the upgrades are almost fully automated.

The data replication never breaks and most data discrepancies are solved automatically in real time, or at night, when the data audit runs with self healing programs.

We have just one instance, and our production is not expanding much over the year. But we produce 150 million records per 24 hours on the system, so it is a significant scale, a unique production environment, and very heavy data replication.

10/10 - they have an excellent response rate.

10/10 - they are unbelievable, this is the best tech support I have ever had. All of them are very kind, and very knowledgeable. When they can't solve the problem by giving me advice, they take over my computer, and keep going until the problem is fixed.

We have used this from day one. I have personally used iCluster in a different company, and I can say that MIMIX is way better.

The installation is almost fully automated - it's walk in the park.

We implemented it through a vendor (Midrange), and they have an excellent level of expertise.

That's difficult to quantify in the IT department as we don't monitor the company's profits. Plus, it's difficult to put a price on loss of client's trust if we were to lose a production system in a 24x7 environment without an adequate disaster recovery solution.

Our implementation is with expensive enterprise level IBM iSeries systems, so the price is adequate to the scale, and importance of the system. And with their support and the application stability, it's worth every penny.

We didn't evaluate other solutions because we mimic a configuration from our application vendor.

What other advice do I have?

It's the best product on the market for enterprise level data replication. If you want to sleep at night, this is the right product for you.

it_user270909
iSeries System Administrator at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
We were able to replicate from the live box to the backup machine in minutes without the need to use tapes, however the dashboard information is difficult to dissect to untrained users.

What is most valuable?

Replication speed - while CPU intensive with the right settings, even during peak I/O times, specifically End of Day processing, the replication was very quick, and only a matter of minutes in most cases.

How has it helped my organization?

For data replication purposes, we would migrate users from the live box to the backup machine in a matter of minutes. This was much quicker for the end user and required no restore from tapes.

What needs improvement?

The product dashboard that comes with the product could use some work. While functional, it required intimate knowledge to be able to dissect the information.

I've used it for just over two years.

No major problems were encountered during deployment, however it did take several tweaks to get it working the way we wanted.

No, none, the product worked as designed, it was a matter of customizing it to our workflow.

No issues encountered.

I was pleased with the response time and technical advice, especially in the initial roll-out.

8-9/10 - as good as any tech support that I have worked with.

No real product, just tapes, lots of tapes.

It was fairly straightforward, however there are some complex settings you could find if you dug deep enough, again we did a lot of custom work to get it to work the way we wanted.

Both, as we worked with a vendor team but did the install on our own. I would say that the service technician that we worked with was well prepared and knew what he was doing, and I would give them a solid 7/10.

There is no value that can be assigned when working on a core system and potential downtimes that come with system failures.

Not to my knowledge.

What other advice do I have?

Plan. Plan. Plan, especially with the network folks. There is a lot of data that goes back and forth for the synch to work. We had to work with our internet provider on several instances. I would also advise you to look closely at what really needs to be archived in semi real-time, and plan accordingly. We still used tapes for a good number of files/libraries, and only used Mimix for files that were updated constantly.

it_user292614
Technical Analyst at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
We use it for its high availability and data distribution, but while installation is easy, setup and configuration can be complicated.

What is most valuable?

I like its flexibility. I have been told that we have one of the most complex installations that Vision has ever had deployed. We replicate our environment outside of the normal parameters.

How has it helped my organization?

We use MIMIX in two forms – high availability and data distribution. High availability is used to replicate files from our production environment to our Colo. Data distribution is used to replicate data from one system to another and keeping the data synchronized automatically.

What needs improvement?

Installation is pretty easy but it can be fairly complicated to setup and configure. This could possibly be improved.

I have used this product for over five years.

Only that when you do the installation yourself (for dev, test, or QA environments), they will not support you. As they want you to have a Business Partner or their Services group do the installations. Once you know the product really well, you really don't want to pay for basic installations, which is what most companies will use.

No, the stability of the product is rock solid. Any issues that they get feedback on from clients is fixed pretty quickly via service packs or fixes.

No, they have a product to fit every level of scalability from single LPAR to clustering.

Customer service is very good, and can either be handled directly or through the Business Partner and also through their customer portal.

Their tech support is very good, as is their knowledge-base. So is their documentation.

They stay on the issue until it gets resolved. They also have a customer portal with a knowledge-base where you can search for issues as well as download documentation, installation software, service packs, licensing, etc.

We previously used Data Mirror, but we switched due to the complexity we needed for our environment, as well as ease of use of MIMIX over Data Mirror.

It was complex due to the nature of our environment's complexity and the scale of work needed.

MIMIX generally is set up that each data group is replicating a whole library. In our case, we have some libraries that have 20,000 files but we do not need to replicate them all, so it was simpler to just put in the entries we needed.

We had a Business Partner expert work with our previous MIMIX Admin to implement our configuration.

Pricing and licensing is complicated because it is based on how big the system is, and how it is configured.

What other advice do I have?

I think it is the best, most robust and flexible product available. Make sure you plan it out before hand – work with the developers to assess their needs as well as the business needs.

This version, 7.1.x, has reached its EOL. Vision is no longer providing service packs.

Version 8.0.x has some very nice enhancements. We plan to upgrade to a stable version, 8.0.10 sometime Q1 2016. We will implement it first on our sandbox, then QA then Test and finally Production, which encompasses Data Distribution and HA.

it_user286848
Independent IT Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
The version we're using is not portal ready, but it has helped us save on manpower and cut down on process time.

What is most valuable?

It can automate back-end data processes.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us cut down process time and manpower.

What needs improvement?

The version we're using is not portal ready.

I've used it for about two years.

It was already set up when I joined.

It has many service packs to fix issues.

It seems to be scalable in the newer versions.

Customer Service: It's above average. Technical Support: It's above average.

What is most valuable?

It can automate back-end data processes.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us cut down process time and manpower.

What needs improvement?

The version we're using is not portal ready.

I've used it for about two years.

It was already set up when I joined.

It has many service packs to fix issues.

It seems to be scalable in the newer versions.

It's above average.

It's above average.

We used it in conjunction with help systems and Connect:Direct.

It was implemented in-house.

it_user285984
Sr. System Mngt Engineer - System Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
OS version compatibility needs work, but with its ability to switch system availability, we were able to perform major system maintenance on our production system.

What is most valuable?

It has the ability to switch or role swap for system availability.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to perform major system maintenance on our production system after performing a switch or production role swap.

What needs improvement?

OS version compatibility needs work.

I've used it for three and a half years.

We're satisfied with it.

We're satisfied with it.

I used a different replication solution in my previous company - IBM Global Mirroring - but not with my current company. They didn't have a solution prior to MIMIX and therefore have never switched to another product.

I believe ROI is above par.

If you can consolidate your systems into one, it will save you a lot of money in licensing.

Make sure you have at least two or three in-house engineers for MIMIX as the skills required are hard to find.

it_user280950
Server Administrator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The product allows you to replicate critical data and system objects to a target server to be used for backups and failover, but the monitoring tools could be improved.

What is most valuable?

Replication Protection and Switching Capabilities. The product allows you to replicate critical data and system objects to a target server to be used for backups and failover.

How has it helped my organization?

We can perform system maintenance such as OS upgrades on the production system after switching the business to the target system.

What needs improvement?

Monitoring tools can be improved but are very useful already.

I've used it for 15 years.

No, as long as you have adequate bandwidth in place between the systems. I recommend you use a certified consultant for the deployment.

No issues encountered.

Excellent. Their team is very knowledgeable and responsive.

Excellent. Their team is very knowledgeable and responsive.

No previous solution used.

It's complex - you need to have a detailed understanding of the environment, and the AS/400 system in general. Network, security, and applications are all part of the process.

We used a certified consultant who is an IBM partner.

I am not in finance, but we are utilizing the solution to reduced planned, and unplanned downtime, which can cost the organization hundreds of thousands of dollars per hour.

Not much room for negotiation, but you can try to get at the least first three years of maintenance included in initial cost.

• IBM iCluster
  • Nomax

What other advice do I have?

I recommend you use a certified consultant for the deployment.

it_user277023
Sr. Technical Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Remote journaling allows us to put the load on the target system as opposed to the source, but it lacks prosing support for multiple journals per data group.

What is most valuable?

The remote journaling and audit functions.

How has it helped my organization?

By implementing remote journals, we have put the load on the target system as opposed to the source.

What needs improvement?

Prosing support for multiple journals per data group would be nice.

I've used it on and off for 18 years.

No issue encountered.

Customer Service: Customer support is good but they do try to squeeze out those service dollars. Technical Support:…

What is most valuable?

The remote journaling and audit functions.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Prosing support for multiple journals per data group would be nice.

I've used it on and off for 18 years.

No issue encountered.

Customer support is good but they do try to squeeze out those service dollars.

They know their products well.

I've used DataMirror but it was sold to IBM and we got a better deal from Vision.

We have a complex environment, so it depends on your particular environment which will be custom based on your business, typically.

We did it in-house.

Negotiate hard.

IASP and hardware based solutions but the business would not go for the spend.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have a good understanding of your environment and how replication can affect it.

it_user158790
IT & Comm Infrastructure Operations at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
In addition to high availability and disaster recovery, we can pre-stage sources for data warehousing. But, it needs faster remote journal entry reads in "fire mode".

What is most valuable?

We use all the features of the product. From our perspective, I think the most valuable are:

• Complete planned/unplanned switch framework
  • Full stack of comparison reports (so called audit reports)
  • 95% integration with all new IBM i features that appears, including independent ASP

How has it helped my organization?

Apart from the fact that we are assured high availability and disaster recovery, we use this product for different purposes as well. This include remote site backups, pre-staging sources for data warehousing (integration with DoubleTake Share from same vendor), and to offload production for some critical reports.

What needs improvement?

I think that there should be a converged effort with IBM for faster remote journal entry reads when the remote journal is in "fire mode". That means when remote journal is in its catch-up phase with the source system, and a lot of journal entries are bombing the journal receivers.

I've been using it since 2003.

No, we have a tremendous experience with the product.

Not in the last eight to nine years.

Only with remote journal entries.

They have great 24x7 support, with very good and experienced employees.

9/10.

We had an IBM implementation for SAN storage replication (PPRC). The solution had a complex recovery procedure when production system is down. Also, you can have corrupted data while MIMIX works at the application and OS/DB2 level instead.

The first implementation was complex because we had to define, and understand, what we really need to replicate. When someone is asking you what to replicate, most of the clients are saying the "whole system". This is not possible, as you cannot replicate, for example, a system serial number (VPD), and all the other stuff that is system related when you use application-level replication (e.g local IP addressing of physical interfaces etc.).

We implemented it with both vendor consultants and application consultants.

We didn't calculate it, but I can say that we have a positive ROI. We've used it two to three times to recover bank services after a production system shut down (DASD storage unavailable on production). Also, we use the product for reporting, data warehouse pre-staging, remote backups, etc.

This topic is really complicated because now the product is CPU-core licensed. When we bought it, it was system based. So I would say that at first, you should start with a small environment, for example a non-production LPAR (or VM), and see if it is feasible for the expected purpose (data protection). The licensing model is related to production and backup LPAR CPU cores, same for maintenance, it should be under 18% of the initial license fee. But, you should take into consideration implementation services that are around $1700 to $1900 per day.

We evaluated all the products on the market but MIMIX was the only option for us.

What other advice do I have?

I think for monitoring IBM products, it is the best product on the market.

First though, you need to understand their applications and the right point in time for business recovery points. The product has some CPD (continuous data protection), but the product is more or less for real-time data replication and HA. The second time, is the cost and implementation services, I would not advise to try it by themselves without understanding where to start from.

it_user270894
Business Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
We can perform nightly backups of our production system without taking our production system offline, but be sure to compare prices with other solutions before choosing.

What is most valuable?

MIMIX provides local and remote data replication for us, up to the minute. Knowing that our data is in multiple backup locations, provides us with piece of mind as far as a disaster recovery situation is concerned.

How has it helped my organization?

Because we have our production data replicated to a local LPAR, we can perform nightly backups of our production system without taking our production system offline to do them. Also, for system upgrades (software or hardware), we can perform role swaps to our backup systems, and run our processes off of the backup system. Doing this can virtually eliminate all down time associated with the upgrades.

What needs improvement?

None that I have encountered.

I've been using the Professional version for seven years.

I have not had any issues Visions Solutions could not resolve.

Good. No concerns/issues.

Excellent. Of the support personnel that I have dealt with, they are top notch in their field both in knowledge and dedication to getting the problem resolved. I have called support both during business hours and outside them, and have received great support at all times. Their online client portal is very easy and intuitive to use, and they provide many resources to give the user the ability to resolve the problem and learn for themselves.

No packaged software. Lots of work-arounds, and piecing things together to try and replicate the same type of solution, but it felt quite inadequate.

I was not originally involved with the initial deployment of the product, but am involved with any new enhancements.

Vision Solutions did most of the implementation for us.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the price and what it will do for you compared to other products. There might be other products that do a similar thing, but what type of technology are they relying on? Is it efficient and here to stay? Get testimonials from others.

Systems Analyst AS/400 with 1,001-5,000 employees
It works with different data groups.

What is most valuable?

Provides two servers Easy Fast Robust

How has it helped my organization?

It's used in our new architecture, for production, HA/DR and it works with different data groups.

I used it for one year, before I was using ITHERA.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical Support: 8/10.

What is most valuable?

• Provides two servers
  • Easy
  • Fast
  • Robust

How has it helped my organization?

I used it for one year, before I was using ITHERA.

8/10.

8/10.

Before we were using ITHERA. We switched because we had problems with the stability and had not found the right level of technical support.

From watching the consultant, it looked easy.

It was done by a consultant.

No other options were evaluated.

it_user269040
iSeries Power 7 Systems Administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
I'm comfortable using it in High Availability (HA) setups, but system overheads need improvement.

What is most valuable?

The ease of switching is valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

Provides high degree of comfort regarding High Availability (HA).

What needs improvement?

The systems overheads need improvement.

I've used it for 12 years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 9/10. Technical Support: 10/10.

I didn't use anything prior to MIMIX.

What is most valuable?

The ease of switching is valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

Provides high degree of comfort regarding High Availability (HA).

What needs improvement?

The systems overheads need improvement.

I've used it for 12 years.

9/10.

10/10.

I didn't use anything prior to MIMIX.

• iTerra
  • OMS

What other advice do I have?

It's a good, stable product.

it_user92232
IT Administrator at a museum or institution with 501-1,000 employees
Data replication to a High Availability system is valuable but replication of files on the IFS system can be improved

What is most valuable?

Data replication to a High Availability system

How has it helped my organization?

We do a "switchover" to our backup system 3 times a year. This lets us know that everything is still OK (or we fix the issue before anyone signs on the system) and that we can run the business on the backup system. In case we have an emergency or a sudden issue on the production system, we can put our point of sale terminals in local mode for 1 hour, switch over to the backup system, verify that all is running OK. Then the POS systems can reconnect, and our users can sign on again and continue working.

What needs improvement?

Replication of the IBM i spooled files and files on the IFS system (Windows-like environment). About 1/2 the time, we have to nudge the system a bit to get the file(s) over.

7 years

No issues.

No issues.

You have to size the system according to the amount of data you need to replicate. If not, your users will feel the slow down in response time.

Customer Service: 9 out of 10Technical Support: 9.8 out of 10

I tested a solution from another vendor at the time (ITERA) while at a previous employer. I found the installation and replication set-up to on the hard side, taking most of a week to do by a specialist from ITERA. I also visited another company in the process of installing MIMIX and setting up the replication. Listing what to replicate took about 1 hour (same with ITERA), software installation took less than one hour and setting up the system and replication took about 2 hours. In all 1/2 day (MIMIX) vs. 1 week (ITERA). I moved to a new company and recommended MIMIX.

MIMIX initial setup is straight forward especially when it is done by an expert from the company selling the software.

Vendor team - 9.9 out of 10

Original setup cost was included in the product quote. It included the product and 5 days of an on-site expert to setup and teach.

What other advice do I have?

No reservation: an enthusiastic "go for it!"
it_user92232
IT Administrator at a museum or institution with 501-1,000 employees
Good and expensive. Requires daily checks to ensure the replication does not have issues.
I have used MIMIX for some years now. The product is good and expensive. It requires daily checks to ensure the replication does not have issues. The software is upgraded fairly regularly, and patches for discovered bugs issued quickly. The problem is the switchover to the target system. All current operations must be quiesced and there must be no left transaction to replicate before the switch can start. In our environment, this takes approximately 20 to 25 minutes. The switch to the target system takes about 10 minutes, and the subsystems restart on the target another 15 minutes. We test this scenario 3 times a year (we wrote our own CL programs for the switchover and switchback based on Lakeview's templates). I suggest looking at this thread for more info.

I suggest looking at this thread for more info.

it_user91545
Principal at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
There is no true HA solution that allows you to take a machine out of your network and continue processing
All of the vendors provide replication from a primary machine to a backup machine. The last real hands on experience and testing I did took 45 minutes to synch up a MIMIX based machine after cutting over to the backup machine. Sadly, unlike Linux or Unix you do not have real-time replication or load balanced system sharing that actually run parallel systems instead of primary & backup. This has been a huge shortcoming of OS/400 and IBM i forever. There may have been some improvement, but I've not seen them. There are some good data replication products for IBM, I like Mimix which I used. The key to my comments are the fact that this has been an area of weakness since the AS/400 was first shipped. While Mimix and other products can provide data replication between…

There are some good data replication products for IBM, I like Mimix which I used. The key to my comments are the fact that this has been an area of weakness since the AS/400 was first shipped. While Mimix and other products can provide data replication between machines there is no true HA solution that allows you to take a machine out of your network and continue processing as you can with other platforms and OS's.

For many IBM i customers data and object replication can be sufficient if you thoroughly review your program change management, security administration, network administration, etc. and make sure that:

1. You do not lose in flight data or that you know what you lose when you cut over.
2. Any programs that have been updated or changed on your primary machine are replicated to your back up machine.
3. Any other resources besides data or programs are replicated and synchronized.
4. User profiles and other security settings are synchronized, and
5. You have a network configuration that allows you to switch users to your backup machine.

This is not trivial and this really sets the vendors apart from each other. But keep in mind. Unlike modern could based scenarios you CANNOT balance your work load across multiple IBM i based systems and simply take one offline and keep on processing. You can do this on other platforms including Unix, Linux, and Windows.

it_user91542
Architect at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Are you using iCluster and considering moving back to MIMIX?
IBM aquired Datamirror some years ago, then in 2012 IBM sold the ex-Datamiror product portfolio (iCluster) to RocketSoftware. As far as logical replication HA solutions are concerned my impression is that the leader is Vision Solutions (who aquired Lakeview Solutions some years ago) with MIMIX both in terms of market share and in terms of solution and support quality, and in terms of being a visionary for logical replication HA solutions. Our HA consultants have had experience both with iCluster and MIMIX products and their input thus far suggests that while iCluster is a fairly good HA choice, MIMIX Availability product line is superior when it comes to ease of use, functionality, reliability, customer support and consultant network. We have quite a few customers using…

Our HA consultants have had experience both with iCluster and MIMIX products and their input thus far suggests that while iCluster is a fairly good HA choice, MIMIX Availability product line is superior when it comes to ease of use, functionality, reliability, customer support and consultant network. We have quite a few customers using MIMIX running heavy transaction workloads, and switchover time is no more than a couple of minutes. We also have customers with iCluster, but they are now thinking of returning to MIMIX.

There are of course other, hardware-based (and OS/400-based) HA solutions for iSeries (e.g. PowerHA SystemMirror) that are definitely worth considering, since over the years these hardware-based solutions have become more and more enhanced. Hardware-based HA solutions can be configured and managed somewhat simpler than logical HA replication solutions, but these may lack useful features logical replications do have (e.g. selective data replication).

Your best HA choice basically depends on multiple factors such as your current operations environment (amount of data to be replicated / change rate, distance and bandwidth between backup and production site), your existing hardware infrastructure (e.g. do you already have some kind of external storage?), existing skills of your staff and your Recovery Point Objective and Recovery Time Objective.

Download our free Database Development and Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Oracle, SAP, and more!