Mirantis Container Cloud OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Mirantis Container Cloud is #1 ranked solution in top Container Virtualization tools and #6 ranked solution in Container Security Solutions. IT Central Station users give Mirantis Container Cloud an average rating of 10 out of 10. Mirantis Container Cloud is most commonly compared to Canonical LXD:Mirantis Container Cloud vs Canonical LXD. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is Mirantis Container Cloud?

Docker provides an integrated technology suite that enables development and IT operations teams to build, ship, and run distributed applications anywhere. Docker allows you to package an application with all of its dependencies into a standardized unit for software development. Docker containers wrap up a piece of software in a complete filesystem that contains everything it needs to run: code, runtime, system tools, system libraries, anything you can install on a server. This guarantees that it will always run the same, regardless of the environment it is running in.

Mirantis Container Cloud is also known as Docker .

Mirantis Container Cloud Customers

illumina, Groupon, PayPal, ebay, ING, New Relic

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Mirantis Container Cloud pricing:
  • "The solution is open-source and free to try."
  • "Docker is a free solution."

Mirantis Container Cloud Reviews

OmidKoushki
Solution Architect at KIAN company
Reliable, scalable, and easy installation

• "The solution is scalable and we have plans to increase usage in the future."
  • "This solution is open-source and they need to focus on improving the Linux Operating Systems' GUI. It does not have a GUI making it not user-friendly. Additionally, the containers need to improve security and compliance."

What is our primary use case?

In our team, we need to develop virtualization infrastructure and provide a specific environment for the developer and software engineers to migrate microservices and new applications in an environment based on containers. Therefore, we need to build and create a new platform. We established a container engine called Docker and a distributed open-source orchestrators, such as Kubernetes, to manage lots of containers in the environment.

How has it helped my organization?

The organization has a lot of microservices for websites and mobile applications that need to scale easily horizontally and vertically. I am directly responsible for building a Docker environment for the organization for their applications and microservices. Our developers have provided the organization with the benefit of the scalability and availability of the applications. By using Docker Engine and the environment, they can easily run their application in different containers and schedule different hosts. It is simple to scale the applications, check the health and availability.

The most benefits of the containers are resolving the portability of the applications from the developer environment to the production, as well as the ability to scale easily.

What needs improvement?

This solution is open-source and they need to focus on improving the Linux Operating Systems' GUI. It does not have a GUI making it not user-friendly. Additionally, the containers need to improve security and compliance.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

Docker is not stable itself because it is an engine to run containers, and whenever a container is shut down, your data is lost, and you need to restart the containers. However, if you want to receive more stability, you need to use container orchestrators, such as Docker Swarm, or Kubernetes along with Docker. Docker is not perfect itself, you need to use additional software or another orchestration system to make it more stable.

In my company, approximately 10 software engineers and developers are working directly on Docker Engine. In the infrastructure environment, we have two members, myself and another colleague. We build and manage the Docker environment and infrastructure. My main responsibility in my company is providing and developing container solutions, establish and supporting their Docker environment and orchestration systems.

The solution is scalable and we have plans to increase usage in the future.

I learned Docker and Kubernetes myself based on online files, such as educational materials published on the websites and at the Dockers website.

Unfortunately, due to sanctions in my country, we cannot access the official support by searching Google for Kubernetes or the Mirantis company that provided and support Docker. Therefore, we need to solve many problems based on online materials available on the internet. For specific more complex and critical problems, we communicate and negotiate with one of our partners in Europe.

It would be better to provide an online lab for providing Docker environments on the Docker website. This would allow any engineers who are looking to work on a Docker environment access to the environments on the website where they can easily work and manage Docker containers freely on the internet. Additionally, Docker should publish some presentations about new features. For example, they could provide a specific channel for interaction between engineers who are working on the Docker to share their knowledge. The Docker community is not great in comparison with VMware or Microsoft community.

Docker installation is very straightforward because you can easily install Docker Engine based on the instruction provided on the Docker website. It is an easy four or five steps process.

If you have good knowledge about the installation process, it can be installed in five minutes. However, if you do not have any information about the prerequisites of the installation, it can be difficult. You need to provide lots of prerequisites, such as install services. Without previous knowledge, it could take four or five hours.

I did the implementation of the solution myself. My main responsibility is conducting proof of concept, as well as implementing and helping to develop new solutions for Docker and Kubernetes.

The solution is open-source and free to try.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Mirantis Container Cloud a nine out of ten.

CC
DevOps Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Leaderboard
Easy to set up and easy to use for the delivery of our applications

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is the containerization of applications. We have several use cases in this domain.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its ease of use. It is easy to use and easy to set up so that we can deliver our applications.

What needs improvement?

Integration with Windows is something that can be improved.

I have been using Mirantis Container Cloud for approximately a year and a half.

I cannot recall experiencing any issues with bugs or glitches.

I have never been in touch with technical support.

The initial setup is fairly straightforward. …

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Integration with Windows is something that can be improved.

I have been using Mirantis Container Cloud for approximately a year and a half.

I cannot recall experiencing any issues with bugs or glitches.

I have never been in touch with technical support.

The initial setup is fairly straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend. It is good, although it is not a perfect product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

RommelViloria
Director of Technology at WinSoft IT, C.A.
Cost-effective with promising support for legacy applications

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we sell products to our customers. Our webpage has solutions from Microsoft and HPE. Mirantis Container Cloud is one of the products that we offer.

What is most valuable?

We have only just begun our research here in Venezuela. We are studying this technology. It has promised to solve several issues here in Venezuela if we can encapsulate the legacy applications using it. If we compare legacy application support to Docker, it's a superior product.

What needs improvement?

This product will only be useful if it can successfully run legacy applications in the cloud.

Docker is a free solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a…

What is most valuable?

If we compare legacy application support to Docker, it's a superior product.

What needs improvement?

Docker is a free solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.