MongoDB Atlas OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

MongoDB Atlas is #4 ranked solution in top Database as a Service vendors. IT Central Station users give MongoDB Atlas an average rating of 8 out of 10. MongoDB Atlas is most commonly compared to Amazon RDS:MongoDB Atlas vs Amazon RDS. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is MongoDB Atlas?

MongoDB Atlas delivers the world’s leading database for modern applications as a fully automated cloud service engineered and run by the same team that builds the database. Proven operational and security practices are built in, automating time-consuming administration tasks such as infrastructure provisioning, database setup, ensuring availability, global distribution, backups, and more. The easy-to-use UI and API let you spend more time building your applications and less time managing your database.

MongoDB Atlas was previously known as Atlas.

Download the Database as a Service Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

MongoDB Atlas Customers

eHarmony, Sega, KPMG, Telefonica, Checkr, 7-Eleven

MongoDB Atlas Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about MongoDB Atlas pricing:
  • "The solution is expensive overall. It does not require a license but if you want the support then you will need to purchase the license. They use a pay-as-you-go model and you are able to receive some discounts by making longer usage commitments."
  • "We're currently using the Atlas for the night and don't require a license. However, it can be a problem if you want to use their enterprise environment. Then you need to purchase the license."

MongoDB Atlas Reviews

VB
Senior Project Manager - IT Services at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Fantastic integrations, with multiple support levels

• "The features that I have found most valuable include the very easy integrations. The integrations are fantastic. I have not faced any challenges from the integration standpoint."
  • "I am still new with it, but since I mentioned that I'm using this product for only the last six months and my experience with this product is good thus far, on a scale of one to ten, I would give MongoDB Atlas a six."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case for MongoDB Atlas is not an as an RDBMS. It is a NoSQL database which means that it's not like a traditional database such as Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server. It's a NoSQL database, and it is much easier to manage. The scalability is very high, the performance is very high, and the cost is lower as compared to the traditional database for cloud.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable include the very easy integrations. The integrations are fantastic. I have not faced any challenges from the integration standpoint.

In terms of storage, it is pay as you go storage so I'm just paying for the service.

The dashboards are very good, you can customize as per your requirement.

The configuration is so easy. It's very handy and user-friendly. You just need to open the portal page, configure your application, and you are done. 10 minutes are required, that's it.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, I don't think we are in a position to give any kind of recommendation to the MongoDB service provider, because we still are in the evaluation phase. We are not mature. We just have six months of experience, and we have not found any challenges with that service provider where we could recommend that they need to add XYZ for this catalog.

I have been using MongoDB Atlas for the last six months.

We are using the latest version because it's always available since MongoDB is a cloud-based solution.

In terms of stability, stable means that you get the services from the cloud provider. MongoDB Atlas is a cloud service provider, and the stability, availability, and the whole thing is their responsibility. Nothing is connected with you. I'm just paying them to be triple nine availability, five times nine availability, depending on the kind of different plans we have. We take a plan with the cloud service provider and it is their responsibility that the database and services are up and running as per our requirement. We don't manage the database. We just use the database.

In terms of scalability, when you ask for the database, there is no direct user connected to the database. Let's suppose we are going on any kind of e-commerce site, for example you log into amazon.com to procure something. There are millions of users who are connected to the interface. But no one will be able to directly connect with the database. It's not like the users are going to directly connect with the database and see the optimization performance. It is a front end UI which will connect with the database itself.

Any product selection is based on the project's needs. We select the tools and technologies based on the kind of requirements we receive from the customer. So, today we are using MongoDB. Tomorrow we may use another DB, and the day after tomorrow we may use some other Postgres DB. We are not limited with one OEM supplier. We select our solution based on the customer's needs.

As you know, all cloud service providers offer different plans for support. It is up to us to select what plan we need from them. For example, there are entry level plans, mid-level plans, premium plans, golden plans, etc...

If I need to manage something, if I have any problem, and I want a MongoDB consultant to help me online to fix my problem, so I should opt to have a premium plan. Whenever we are stuck with some problem, we raise a ticket to the cloud service provider and we explain to them the problem we are facing. They analyze the problem and they help us in terms of suggestions and recommendation for how they would repair all those things. As far as the support goes, it's good.

The kind of support plan category you opt for from the cloud service provider is only design KPI and actually they provide the support. For example, if I choose the silver level entry plan, then the SLA will be from when I put my question inquiry until they answer it in 24 hours.

You need to understand, that's why I have recently opted for the silver plan. If I opted for the platinum plan, I will be able to get the answer within five minutes of the moment I log my ticket. That is called the platinum service. If I pay as a platinum service, I will get the response in five minutes. But if I get a service with a 24-hour response, that means I understood that I'm okay getting it then because I cannot pay or invest so much money on the support side.

My product selection is based on the customer's requirements. Every project has its own requirements. It's not that I don't like Oracle or the Microsoft SQL Server. But when I choose the database, it's based on the customer's needs only.

It's a software as a service, so you don't do any kind of installation. You just add the services in your application and you are good to go. You just need to buy an account, that's it.

You don't know where this database is being deployed and you don't know where the storage is. When we are working on the cloud, we don't know where exactly the service provider is storing the data. The only agreement we have with the service provider is for the security, the reliability, and the availability of our data, and that's it. But whatever is inside the data, that is our responsibility.

If you understand cloud computing, there is nothing called licensing. They call it a service - we are getting software as a service. We are not getting any licenses for that. If you need a service today, you use that service today, and if you don't require it tomorrow, you will discontinue with it. So you will not incur any costs from the licensing side. You will just pay as you go, that's it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend MongoDB Atlas to be used by other people, because this is the current technology which everyone should use.

I am still new with it, but since I mentioned that I'm using this product for only the last six months and my experience with this product is good thus far, on a scale of one to ten, I would give MongoDB Atlas a six.

AK
Snr. Developer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Scalable and easy to use with good integration capabilities

• "The product is user-friendly."
  • "If it could be cheaper, that would make us happy."

What is our primary use case?

We store a lot of raw data in MongoDB and all our relational data is in RDS Aurora. We are still evaluating Aurora, however, primarily, most raw data is in MariaDB.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy. It's just not the solution for every use case, however, it's very nice if you don't have structured data or you don't really worry about the structure all the time.

The integration capabilities are fine.

The dashboards are good.

The product is user-friendly.

The solution can scale.

What needs improvement?

We don't have any issues with the solution at this time. It does what we need it to do.

If it could be cheaper, that would make us happy.

I've used the solution for over five years.

We don't have any problems with it. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash and freeze.

The solution is scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We are a processing engine for financial transactions, therefore, we don't have a lot of users per se, however, we've got a lot of customers out there that use the functionality, the payment functionality that uses the system. While we don't have a user frontend all the time interacting with our database, it's basically systems talking to your database.

We've never had to deal with technical support yet, therefore, I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they might be.

Currently, I'm using Spring Boot on top of it and that's all I'm really worried about.

The initial setup is very simple and straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult. You just create the database from the user's perspective, it's as easy as that. With AWS, it's not an issue anymore in terms of implementation.

We have quite a big team of over 100 people and we're able to handle deployment and maintenance.

We have a DevOps team that was able to handle the installation.

You do get what you pay for. The solution isn't overly expensive.

We don't have any subscriptions that I know of. We are paying for document DB, which is a clone of MongoDB. That's part of our whole solution.

Before choosing this solution we did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. It's brilliant for what we are using it for.

I'd recommend the solution to others.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Find out what your peers are saying about MongoDB, Amazon, Microsoft and others in Database as a Service. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CR
Deputy CTO at a tech company with 51-200 employees
Overall well designed, user friendly, and new features added frequently

• "The solution is easy to use, the console is user-friendly, and overall a well-designed solution. It takes a complex system and makes it easy to understand. Additionally, the solution is always advancing and they provide a roadmap into what is coming in the future."
  • "The installation was straightforward except for the network hardware because it was a little complicated to make the connection with our VPC on AWS."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for database-managed services.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use, the console is user-friendly, and overall a well-designed solution. It takes a complex system and makes it easy to understand. Additionally, the solution is always advancing and they provide a roadmap into what is coming in the future.

I have been using the solution for approximately two years.

The solution is very stable.

When we use managed service it provides scalability automatically, it is a good option for us.

We purchased the license for the solution to allow us to use the support and it was very high-level support we received. We had technicians advising us for the migration and it was really helpful.

The installation was straightforward except for the network hardware because it was a little complicated to make the connection with our VPC on AWS.

The implementation was done by our two-person DevOps team and it took approximately one week.

The solution is expensive overall. It does not require a license but if you want the support then you will need to purchase the license. They use a pay-as-you-go model and you are able to receive some discounts by making longer usage commitments.

What other advice do I have?

I rate MongoDB Atlas a ten out of ten.

RK
Data Science Lead at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Flexible, easy to scale, maintenance-free, and works well as a document store

What is our primary use case?

MongoDB can be used for many things. It's a document store, so you can add whatever collection you need to it. We use it for an application that we've built. My team is not using it at this time, although other teams in the company may be.

What is most valuable?

The cloud-based nature of this solution makes it flexible and scalable. I like the fact that you can make the deployment bigger, as needed. Not having to maintain it yourself is good.

What needs improvement?

Querying a dataset is not very intuitive, so I think that it can be improved.

I have been using MongoDB Atlas for approximately two years, although I am not using it for my current project.

What is most valuable?

Not having to maintain it yourself is good.

What needs improvement?

Querying a dataset is not very intuitive, so I think that it can be improved.

This is a stable product and we plan to continue using it.

This is a very scalable product. There are approximately five users.

I have not had experience with technical support.

Prior to this solution, we have used PostgreSQL, which is a database. As a document store, MongoDB is fine.

You don't have to maintain it yourself.

We pay for licensing on a monthly basis and we are fine with the cost.

Waris
Software Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
A global cloud database service with a useful schemaless architecture and auto upscale & downscale feature.

What is our primary use case?

We use MongoDB Atlas for our MongoDB deployments.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is schemaless architecture and its rich query support.

What needs improvement?

Masterless architecture for linear scale.

I've been using MongoDB Atlas for about two years.

MongoDB Atlas is a reliable and stable solution.

What is our primary use case?

We use MongoDB Atlas for our MongoDB deployments.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Masterless architecture for linear scale.

I've been using MongoDB Atlas for about two years.

MongoDB Atlas is a reliable and stable solution.

From the scalability point of view, when we shard the database it creates a replica set of each shard and that will increase the cost. Also, It will be a pain if we just start with Atlas and then moved to manage our own databases. Basically to support three shards you have to maintain nine instances.

We're on the cloud so the initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend MongoDB Atlas to potential users. You can bootstrap very quickly and It doesn't constrain you in any way.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give MongoDB Atlas a nine.

Product Categories
Database as a Service
Download our free Database as a Service Report and find out what your peers are saying about MongoDB, Amazon, Microsoft, and more!