MongoDB Atlas Overview

MongoDB Atlas is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Database as a Service vendors. It is most often compared to Amazon RDS: MongoDB Atlas vs Amazon RDS

What is MongoDB Atlas?

MongoDB Atlas delivers the world’s leading database for modern applications as a fully automated cloud service engineered and run by the same team that builds the database. Proven operational and security practices are built in, automating time-consuming administration tasks such as infrastructure provisioning, database setup, ensuring availability, global distribution, backups, and more. The easy-to-use UI and API let you spend more time building your applications and less time managing your database.

MongoDB Atlas is also known as Atlas.

MongoDB Atlas Buyer's Guide

Download the MongoDB Atlas Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2020

MongoDB Atlas Customers

eHarmony, Sega, KPMG, Telefonica, Checkr, 7-Eleven

MongoDB Atlas Video

MongoDB Atlas Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

SeniorDea71f
Senior DevOps Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Dec 31, 2018
The integration went well and was lightweight

What is our primary use case?

It is one of the main database back-ends for one of our products in the company.

• "It has a flexible integration with our easy API."
  • "During the configuration, we did some migrations where we had to reindex about 70,000 indexes, which took around an hour. They should improve this and optimize the indexing."

What other advice do I have?

Look at what MongoDB can do for you in terms of database back-end persistence. I would recommend to look at this first before you start looking at other solutions. My company is interested in putting out products that are reliable for our customers, which we can monitor easily. We also want them to be easy to install and deploy, which is why I am happy with this one. We are running this on an AWS instance. We use RADIUS, but I don't know if it is integrated with this product. We also use Python on the back-end, which is integrated with MongoDB.
Peter Mezensky
Senior Software Engineer at Axcess Financial
Dec 31, 2018
It is nice because our developers create tables whenever they need to sync data

What is our primary use case?

We use it for all of our temporary data, anything which is not warehoused. It works with AWS Lamda and EC2.

• "It is nice because our developers create tables whenever they need to sync data."
  • "We had some bad trainers when we first came onboard and would rate them fairly low. They did not seem staffed properly to fulfill the training services that they offered."

What other advice do I have?

I have been happy with the service. Everything is good. Though, nothing stands out to me as exceptional. I would encourage someone to look at DynamoDB, even though I am fine with MongoDB. If you are in a fully integrated into the AWS environment, you might want to stick with Amazon Web Services rather than a third-party. We use it as a service, so we don't configure anything.
Find out what your peers are saying about MongoDB, Amazon, Microsoft and others in Database as a Service. Updated: December 2020.
455,108 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Gowri Radhakrishnan
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Dec 23, 2018
Its most valuable features are high availability and zero maintenance

What is our primary use case?

* High availability * Resource recovery

• "Its most valuable features are high availability and zero maintenance."
  • "The cost needs improvement. The product is good, but the cost that we paid for it is expensive, so it wasn't that valuable."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the product. I have only used the AWS version.
Alain Rouen
Technical Director for Innovation Lab at Smile
Dec 17, 2018
You can start quickly on projects which allow you to store many things

What is our primary use case?

Any business types where we need instructional data.

• "You can start quickly on projects which allow you to store many things."
  • "I would like a more comprehensive dashboard."
  • "Going forward, we would like to have pure AWS Cloud (native) storage instead regular storage on the AWS integration side."

What other advice do I have?

We are always integrating this product with our business applications because it is a database. Without our applications, the product doesn't make sense. The integration is quite straightforward, because of the consistences within MongoDB, you can find where to connect it. I have used both the AWS and the on-premise versions. The AWS integration allows you to go faster in terms of deployment and the tooling in the cloud also allows you to go faster.
Engineerd5da
Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 16, 2018
Our queries are quicker with it. It is also very easy to use.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for hosting data on the cloud.

• "It enables us to get work done quickly and get to our data."
  • "The import and export process needs improvement, i.e., getting in and out. Moving data from other databases into MongoDB, along with indexing, was challenging."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it. It is better than the legacy databases, and it is very good with the cloud. We integrated it with TestRail and JIRA. Everything is on cloud. It integrates well, and we are happy with it.
Rogelio Guillen
Senior QA Engineer at SendGrid
Dec 10, 2018
It was easy to validate data, access data, make active run queries against it, and retrieve data from it

What is our primary use case?

I used it for testing.

• "As a tester, it was easy to validate data, access data, make active run queries against it, and retrieve data from it."
  • "The UI application for MongoDB crashes a lot, so we would have to use a third-party plugin to make it work."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend MongoDB. I would like to bring in MongoDB at my new company, though I doubt it will happen.
Darrell Bullock
Senior Application Developer at Albert Einstein Healthcare Network
Dec 5, 2018
It is a user-friendly and easy product to use

What is our primary use case?

We use it for patient data.

• "Our databases used to be in-house. Now, they are in the cloud with MongoDB and everything is much easier."
  • "The speed of it is the most valuable feature."
  • "I would like a better dashboard. It could be made a bit more user friendly."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend MongoDB. The integration and configuration of the product on the AWS environment is fine. We use the AWS version of this product. We also use WebEx, and it works well.
Product Categories
Database as a Service
Download our free Database as a Service Report and find out what your peers are saying about MongoDB, Amazon, Microsoft, and more!
Quick Links