MongoDB Atlas OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

MongoDB Atlas is #5 ranked solution in top Database as a Service vendors. IT Central Station users give MongoDB Atlas an average rating of 8 out of 10. MongoDB Atlas is most commonly compared to Amazon RDS:MongoDB Atlas vs Amazon RDS. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is MongoDB Atlas?

MongoDB Atlas delivers the world’s leading database for modern applications as a fully automated cloud service engineered and run by the same team that builds the database. Proven operational and security practices are built in, automating time-consuming administration tasks such as infrastructure provisioning, database setup, ensuring availability, global distribution, backups, and more. The easy-to-use UI and API let you spend more time building your applications and less time managing your database.

MongoDB Atlas is also known as Atlas.

Download the Database as a Service Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

MongoDB Atlas Customers

eHarmony, Sega, KPMG, Telefonica, Checkr, 7-Eleven

MongoDB Atlas Video

Archived MongoDB Atlas Reviews (more than two years old)

DG
Information Risk Officer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees

• "Scalability is its most valuable feature, as it is pretty simple."
  • "The cost needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

It drives a good portion of our client-facing software utilities.

What is most valuable?

• Scalability is its most valuable feature, as it is pretty simple.
  • The maintenance is fairly easy.
  • It was easy and quick to market in terms of getting the application deployed rapidly.

What needs improvement?

The cost needs improvement.

The stability is fine.

We use technical support quite frequently. The tech support experiences that I have heard anecdotally have been fine. I haven't heard about any issues of getting problems resolved.

We are mostly using technical support because of changes in deployments and learning how to configure new things. While a lot of the work is done in-house, it is more about extending the capabilities of our internal team.

Pricing could always be better.

I am sure that they evaluated other products, but it's been in deployment since I have been with the company. Therefore, I don't know if they looked at other types of databases at that time.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product. It works fine, so we recommend it. We are continuing to use and expand it.

Right now, MongoDB is deployed for a very specific use case. However, it is something that we always consider when we are looking to migrate away from traditional RDBMS, like Oracle and SQL Server, then MongoDB is on the top of that list. We see if it is capable of supporting the app as written.

I was not involved in the implementation or configuration.

The product is hosted on AWS.

TB
Senior DevOps Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
The integration went well and was lightweight

• "It has a flexible integration with our easy API."
  • "During the configuration, we did some migrations where we had to reindex about 70,000 indexes, which took around an hour. They should improve this and optimize the indexing."

What is our primary use case?

It is one of the main database back-ends for one of our products in the company.

How has it helped my organization?

• It has a flexible integration with our easy API.
  • It has a good, easy integration with other tools that we use for this product.

What is most valuable?

• Flexibility
  • An easy API
  • Its redundance: We have a cluster of three very solid instances, so its very reliable.
  • The integration went well and was lightweight.

What needs improvement?

During the configuration, we did some migrations where we had to reindex about 70,000 indexes, which took around an hour. They should improve this and optimize the indexing.

We have good impressions of the stability.

We are good as far as the stress that we place on it. This is one part of the product that we are not worried about.

The scalability is good. We use a three instance cluster for this installation, and it works great. Therefore, we haven't had to touch it for awhile, which is good.

Our backups required some configuration.

I did not evaluate the product because I am on the operations side and the design was already done.

What other advice do I have?

Look at what MongoDB can do for you in terms of database back-end persistence. I would recommend to look at this first before you start looking at other solutions.

My company is interested in putting out products that are reliable for our customers, which we can monitor easily. We also want them to be easy to install and deploy, which is why I am happy with this one.

We are running this on an AWS instance.

We use RADIUS, but I don't know if it is integrated with this product. We also use Python on the back-end, which is integrated with MongoDB.

Find out what your peers are saying about MongoDB, Amazon, Microsoft and others in Database as a Service. Updated: November 2021.
552,695 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Peter Mezensky
Senior Software Engineer at Axcess Financial
It is nice because our developers create tables whenever they need to sync data

• "It is nice because our developers create tables whenever they need to sync data."
  • "We had some bad trainers when we first came onboard and would rate them fairly low. They did not seem staffed properly to fulfill the training services that they offered."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for all of our temporary data, anything which is not warehoused.

It works with AWS Lamda and EC2.

How has it helped my organization?

It is nice because our developers create tables whenever they need to sync data. There are allocations nor DBAs. It is just use it as you need it.

What is most valuable?

• Autoscaling
  • No overhead
  • No maintenance

What needs improvement?

We had some bad trainers when we first came onboard and would rate them fairly low. They did not seem staffed properly to fulfill the training services that they offered.

It is very stable. It has been running without issues.

We have about 2000 customers a day.

The pricing is good. We originally chose it over DynamoDB because of the pricing.

We also looked at DynamoDB from Amazon. However, it didn't have the features that we wanted from MongoDB.

We chose MongoDB based on its pricing and features.

What other advice do I have?

I have been happy with the service. Everything is good. Though, nothing stands out to me as exceptional.

I would encourage someone to look at DynamoDB, even though I am fine with MongoDB. If you are in a fully integrated into the AWS environment, you might want to stick with Amazon Web Services rather than a third-party.

We use it as a service, so we don't configure anything.

Gowri Radhakrishnan
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Its most valuable features are high availability and zero maintenance

• "Its most valuable features are high availability and zero maintenance."
  • "The cost needs improvement. The product is good, but the cost that we paid for it is expensive, so it wasn't that valuable."

What is our primary use case?

• High availability
  • Resource recovery

How has it helped my organization?

It brought a lot of confidence to our team.

What is most valuable?

• High availability
  • Zero maintenance, to double up things.

What needs improvement?

The cost needs improvement. The product is good, but the cost that we paid for it is expensive, so it wasn't that valuable.

Less than one year.

The reliability is good.

It is reliable. We have a small environment right now.

The integration and configuration of this product in our AWS environment were easy and straightforward.

AWS works well with this application, but that is the only thing we have tested. We are happy with it.

Purchasing through the AWS Marketplace was easy and seamless. We chose the AWS Marketplace because it is a brand name and a popular product.

It is too expensive. They need to work on this.

I also evaluated the open source version of this same product, but chose the AWS version for more reliability and enterprise support.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the product.

I have only used the AWS version.

Alain Rouen
Technical Director for Innovation Lab at Smile
You can start quickly on projects which allow you to store many things

• "You can start quickly on projects which allow you to store many things."
  • "I would like a more comprehensive dashboard."
  • "Going forward, we would like to have pure AWS Cloud (native) storage instead regular storage on the AWS integration side."

What is our primary use case?

Any business types where we need instructional data.

How has it helped my organization?

In a previous company where I worked, we were able to use MongoDB as a pure data storage using the block storage mechanism for our clients.

What is most valuable?

You can start quickly on projects which allow you to store many things.

What needs improvement?

I would like a more comprehensive dashboard. The UI can be difficult to understand.

The stability is very good.

In my previous company, we had a lot of data coming in every day, and the product remained stable.

We have been able to scale from gigabytes to terabytes easily.

I have never used technical support.

The integration and configuration of MongoDB in the AWS environment is quite good.

In my previous company, the product allowed use to build a database in a highly regulated environment with the ability to get distributed storage. We used MongoDB as a distributed storage to set up this environment for a critical business application with millions of dollars.

My advice is make developers understand NoSQL databases. For people coming from the SQL world, this is a new way to develop applications and that is the point to focus on. In the NoSQL world, MongoDB is a product that has a good awareness and has proven to be very good.

Our clients also evaluate Cassandra or other key value storage vendors. Its depends on what they want to do exactly. MongoDB is somewhere in the middle between pure key value and something like Cassandra, which is designed for bigger deployments.

MongoDB is fortunately well known now in the development community and has a good framework for languages, which is why our clients chose the product.

What other advice do I have?

We are always integrating this product with our business applications because it is a database. Without our applications, the product doesn't make sense. The integration is quite straightforward, because of the consistences within MongoDB, you can find where to connect it.

I have used both the AWS and the on-premise versions. The AWS integration allows you to go faster in terms of deployment and the tooling in the cloud also allows you to go faster.

VP
Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Our queries are quicker with it. It is also very easy to use.

• "It enables us to get work done quickly and get to our data."
  • "The import and export process needs improvement, i.e., getting in and out. Moving data from other databases into MongoDB, along with indexing, was challenging."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for hosting data on the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

It enables us to get work done quickly and get to our data. It benefits us by providing performance.

What is most valuable?

• As a user, it is very easy to use. There is nothing complicated.
  • We can write queries and go through it very quickly; our queries are quicker with it.
  • Many tools are there. Other companies are providing many tools for getting to your MongoDB.

What needs improvement?

The import and export process needs improvement, i.e., getting in and out. Moving data from other databases into MongoDB, along with indexing, was challenging. However, it has been improving.

I would like them to make the product easier to use.

Three to five years.

We are happy right now with stability unless something goes wrong down the line. In that case, you have to bite the bullet.

In terms of workloads, we put 60 to 80 percent on it.

So far, so good. However, we have had issues with our VPC, and how we have stored on S3 and our instances that we have with MongoDB. We are learning as we are building more capacity.

Our environment is utility customers, which is millions of meters, and each one has their own instance. We obtain that data for every 15 minutes in a big city environment, which is why performance is very important.

The technical support is good. We have received very good feedback.

The integration and configuration were pretty easy. We loved it. Otherwise, we would have changed databases.

We have definitely seen ROI.

The purchasing process through the AWS Marketplace was very good.

I was involved later on in the evaluation process when we were looking to import and export data out of MongoDB. We looked at MySQL, but we wanted to be on the cloud instead of managing our data on MySQL.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it. It is better than the legacy databases, and it is very good with the cloud.

We integrated it with TestRail and JIRA. Everything is on cloud. It integrates well, and we are happy with it.

Rogelio Guillen
Senior QA Engineer at SendGrid
It was easy to validate data, access data, make active run queries against it, and retrieve data from it

• "As a tester, it was easy to validate data, access data, make active run queries against it, and retrieve data from it."
  • "The UI application for MongoDB crashes a lot, so we would have to use a third-party plugin to make it work."

What is our primary use case?

I used it for testing.

How has it helped my organization?

It provided time saving for me. It provided an easy way to create validation against the database.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The UI application for MongoDB crashes a lot, so we would have to use a third-party plugin to make it work. It may have been improved by now.

Three to five years.

Except for the UI's stability, the product's overall stability is fine.

The scalability is good.

We did not use the technical support.

Right now, I'm using DynamoDB, and I preferred using MongoDB more.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend MongoDB. I would like to bring in MongoDB at my new company, though I doubt it will happen.

Darrell Bullock
Senior Application Developer at Albert Einstein Healthcare Network
It is a user-friendly and easy product to use

• "Our databases used to be in-house. Now, they are in the cloud with MongoDB and everything is much easier."
  • "The speed of it is the most valuable feature."
  • "I would like a better dashboard. It could be made a bit more user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for patient data.

How has it helped my organization?

Our databases used to be in-house. Now, they are in the cloud with MongoDB and everything is much easier.

What is most valuable?

The speed of it is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

I would like a better dashboard. It could be made a bit more user friendly.

Less than one year.

We put a large amount of stress on it, and it is able to handle this all the time.

It is very scalable. We have 10,000 employees.

We receive great customer service.

Our purchasing experience on the AWS Marketplace was great. We chose to go through the AWS Marketplace as a small team; my team selected it, and we consist of three people.

The pricing and licensing is great.

We also looked at Cassandra, but we did not find it easy to use.

This product was selected because it was easier to use and more user-friendly.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend MongoDB.

The integration and configuration of the product on the AWS environment is fine.

We use the AWS version of this product.

We also use WebEx, and it works well.

Product Categories
Database as a Service
Download our free Database as a Service Report and find out what your peers are saying about MongoDB, Amazon, Microsoft, and more!