Mule Anypoint Platform OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Mule Anypoint Platform is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Business-to-Business Middleware tools. It is most often compared to TIBCO BusinessWorks: Mule Anypoint Platform vs TIBCO BusinessWorks

What is Mule Anypoint Platform?

With connectivity, composability, and control, Anypoint Platform solves the most challenging connectivity problems across SOA, SaaS, and APIs. It's a unified, highly productive, hybrid integration platform that creates an application network of apps, data and devices with API-led connectivity.

Mule Anypoint Platform is also known as Data Integrator.

Mule Anypoint Platform Buyer's Guide

Download the Mule Anypoint Platform Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Mule Anypoint Platform Customers

VMware, Gucci, MasterCard, Target, Time Inc, Hershey's, Tesla, Spotify, Office Depot, Intuit, CBS, Amtrak, Salesforce, Gap, Ralph Lauren

Mule Anypoint Platform Video

Archived Mule Anypoint Platform Reviews (more than two years old)

Jonas Persson
Regional Vice President for Operations at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A solution with good integration and stability with a very straightforward setup

• "The solution's market place for different kinds of integration platforms is the most valuable feature."
  • "Technical support needs to be improved, especially when you need help with more technical aspects of the solution."

What needs improvement?

I've been using the product for the last few years.

The solution is stable. We haven't had any serious technical problems.

The solution is scalable.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment didn't take long; maybe a few days. You only need a small team of three to five people for deployment and maintenance.

We had consultants assist us with the implementation.

We have seen a return on investment, but I cannot speak to the details.

There are no other fees beyond the standard licensing costs.

We did evaluate other options. The community around Mule and the platform were big selling points for us. There's a lot of great technical articles that help. We also had several other similar cases, which were already running on Mule.

What other advice do I have?

We use the public cloud deployment model. We used to use the on-premises model, but we moved over to the cloud.

I would advise others considering using the solution to do some kind of small project to start. Then, when you scale to a more production-like architecture, that's when you need the support and help. If you don't have it there in-house, you need to find that support. All of those tricky details which you maybe didn't do in that first phase, you need to do, and proper support will help. Make sure you have it.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten. I'd rate it higher, but we got into some technical setups where we needed more expertise. We had to wait for that expertise. We got it, finally, through consultants, but we expected to get it more from the company. All they could do for us was point us in the direction of where we could get help.

Self Employed/Independent at a consultancy
Mature unified platform for iPaaS and API management enabling a cost-efficient model for re-use and self-service

• "MuleSoft offers with the Anypoint Platform a unified platform for API management and an integration Platform as a Service (iPaaS) as well as an on-premise Enterprise Service Bus pattern."
  • "MuleSoft's release calendar is rather conventional with two major, two minor releases and hotfixes in between. The competition sometimes offer more rapid release cycles and provides improved and new functionality with a faster time-to-market."

How has it helped my organization?

I worked for a MuleSoft partner for four years before going independent mid 2017.

What is most valuable?

The iPaaS and API management are offered on CloudHub, MuleSoft's SaaS offering, and is located on Amazon Web Services. API management and the iPaaS run-time can also be deployed on-premise or in a private cloud. The run-time manager, Anypoint Runtime Manager (ARM), for monitoring and alerting on the run-time is located by default on CloudHub (AWS).

The API management capabilities are very mature and allow an organization to re-use microservices. It enables efficient self-service for connecting (external) API consumers through Anypoint Exchange. The API Manager includes out-of-the-box policies that can be used for rate limiting, throttling, and security.

The platform support High Availability, High Reliability and High Performance if the required patterns and network topology are followed.

The platform offers over 200 standard connectors for applications and technology, such as HTTP(s), databases, SOAP, XML, and REST, as well as premium connectors for SAP, HL7, EDI, etc.

Integrations are configured visually by dragging and dropping them on a canvas, but they do sometimes require some coding by Java, .NET or Groovy.

The API management, iPaaS and on-premise ESB run-times are based on the same source code and allow an smooth in-time move to iPaaS, if desired, with minimal changes to the existing configuration and code.

The recent Q3 2017 'Crowd' release of the platform included the flow designer, a browser based visual zero-code IDE for citizen integrators, and additional functionality for API management.

What needs improvement?

I have experience as an enterprise architect and consultative presales since mid-2013 with iPaaS and API management offerings, the competitive landscape and trends, and from 2013 have experience and knowledge on with MuleSoft's offering.

None.

None. The minimal subscription offered is already highly scalable, and one can always upgrade to more processors, if required.

Good, but a bit formal with following process and policies, but that can be the case with technical support anywhere.

Point-to-point connections. An iPaaS and/or API management offers more advantages, such as shorter time-to-market, less staff required for development and maintenance, less incidents on support, etc.

MuleSoft has a pure and dedicated vertical focus on product development for integration with their API management and iPaaS offerings, which can be consider as a plus.

Very quick and easy. An environment (development, test, UAT and production) can be set up in a couple of hours on an on-premise infrastructure or private Infrastructure as a Service compute cloud.

I worked at a MuleSoft implementation partner in the past that did full implementations and support as well as enabling a customer in-house IT team on the platform.

As far as my experience goes, the vendor team is also strong.

The ROI is very good with this integration platform as is the case with similar iPaaS and API management offerings in the market.

The TCO of an application landscape is heavily reduced by phasing out possible existing middleware, custom point-to-point integration, underlying infrastructure, and reducing technical debt.

Vendor lock-in of existing IT suppliers with possible (legacy) applications and heavy customization can easily be reduced by following the proper implementation approach and by this decoupling Line of Business applications in a landscape. "Legacy modernization" is another use case, that can be realized with the platform.

The API-led approach of MuleSoft offers a very cost-efficient model and re-use for implementation and support of microservices, APIs and (generic) services when followed correctly, and is fully supported and enabled by the web engagement tools of the platform (Anypoint Exchange, Anypoint Portals, and Anypoint Design Center). The approach results in a decrease of maintenance costs and time for internal IT departments and external IT vendors and frees up time in an organization for innovation.

Licensing can be complex as is the case with most iPaaS/cloud offerings.

I would advise on making an overview of the type of connections needed, technology, and applications used and to match this to the licensing model and take the time for the explanation on the licensing model. What is the minimal licensing model, which parts are mandatory, when can you scale up or down, etc. One needs a full picture to understand it.

MuleSoft is also known for Mule ESB, their initial Open Source offering, and this one is still available. It should not, however, be considered for enterprise class use cases as it does not include the required out-of-the-box connectors and requires heavy coding in Java. The Anypoint Runtime Manager is also part of the Enterprise Licenses and no management console is thus available for Open Source making it a black box on production as is the case with custom point-to-point middleware.

BizTalk, Talend, and WSO2.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I worked at a MuleSoft implementation partner in the past and I went independent/self-employed in 2017. I give independent advice and support in the adoption of strategic technologies, and these include among other iPaaS and API Management offerings such as the ones of MuleSoft.
Learn what your peers think about Mule Anypoint Platform. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
540,884 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Associate Technology L2 at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Allows you to develop and expose your API. Some improvements are required in the batch component.

How has it helped my organization?

Using Mule ESB, we have solved all of the client’s integration needs. Because it was developed based on the Java Spring framework, it can easily be understood by folks with a Java background.

What is most valuable?

As I have used more ESB features, I have grown to love this more than an API gateway. Developing and exposing your API using Mule ESB is also quite interesting and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Some improvements are required in the batch component in case of errors in the batch steps and when processing a large volume of data.

I have worked on Mule Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) for over a year.

There was an issue in the previous version, 3.6. They have improved and it has been stable since version 3.7.

The initial setup was not complex for folks with a Java background. It can be bit complex for people who only have tools experience.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good ESB tool for integration. It is easy to learn and their documentation is very well organized.

Download our free Mule Anypoint Platform Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.