Mule ESB OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Mule ESB is #3 ranked solution in top Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) tools. IT Central Station users give Mule ESB an average rating of 8 out of 10. Mule ESB is most commonly compared to IBM Integration Bus:Mule ESB vs IBM Integration Bus. Mule ESB is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 63% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 35% of all views.
What is Mule ESB?
For companies looking to modernize and unlock the value of existing on-premises systems and applications, an enterprise service bus (ESB) architecture serves as a critical foundation layer for SOA. When deployed as an ESB, the Mule runtime engine of Anypoint Platform combines the power of data and application integration across legacy systems and SaaS applications, with a seamless path to the other capabilities of Anypoint Platform and the full power of API-led connectivity.
Mule ESB Buyer's Guide

Download the Mule ESB Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Mule ESB Customers
Ube, PacificComp, University of Witwatersrand, Justice Systems, Camelot
Mule ESB Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Mule ESB pricing:
  • "The licensing is yearly, and there are additional fees for services."
  • "This product is cheaper than some offered by other vendors, although there is a problem because you have to pay for some third-party adapters."

Mule ESB Reviews

Palavesam Subbiah
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Well performing and easy to use solution

• "What Mule provides out-of-box is a sufficient product."
  • "There are limitations with the subscription model that comes with the product."

What is our primary use case?

We implemented the Mule solution for our orchestration. We use it to follow up with the customer so the online order gets orchestrated to the target automated system.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are that the product is updated regularly and Mule's framework. Overall the performance is good.

For our current solution, I think what Mule provides out-of-box is a sufficient product.

What needs improvement?

As for what can be improved, in my experience the SMPT connectors need some improvement.

It definitely takes some amount of integration knowledge but it is still pretty easy to learn. But I would request that the documentation be more informative. That would help the development community to understand the solution better, to deal with whatever challenges they face and ensure they'll be able to solve them on their own.

The integrations are complicated so maybe that aspect of the solution should also be made simpler to use so that it wouldn't require such experienced resources to build a more complex integration.

Additionally, there are limitations with the subscription model that comes with the product. If you subscribe to the platinum subscription, you get more benefits. Now there are limitations in keeping the logs and the ability to handle the max of 30 days. They could improve that.

Lastly, they could provide us a bit more coding features.

I have been using Mule ESB for past one and a half years.

In terms of stability, we did found some bugs which we reported to Mule support, but overall I would say it's good.

Mule ESB's scalability is pretty good. It performs well.

In terms of numbers of people using the solution, actually Mule ESB plays an integrated role, so none of the users directly use it. But otherwise if you ask the production team and the development team, I would say close to 20 members are using this platform.

We definitely plan on increasing usage for Mule ESB because our customer is starting to do more AP's on the platform.

I think customer support is good. The support team responds to us, but due to some challenges in the product core, we are still waiting for them to respond to some issues.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I know that the setup is straightforward, but I did not do it myself. One person from our team did it. Everything is straightforward and pretty easy, including the deployment and the promotion from one level to another level.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Mule ESB for others to evaluate when they are choosing a product.

On a scale of one to ten, I would definitely rate Mule ESB an eight.

For it to be a higher rating they would need to improve the recording logs and encoding feature.

Private Cloud
PD
Director - Projects at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Provides many connectors to facilitate integration, and helpful community support is available

• "The most valuable feature for Mule is the number of connectors that are available."
  • "MuleSoft is not so strong in method-based integration, so they're not so functional in that regard."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT consulting company and we have built our security on Mule ESB. We work for different customers for whom we develop projects for application integration using MuleSoft.

Our use cases involve connecting backend systems like Salesforce, SAP, and other custom applications. We also expose these APIs to external customers. We have also integrated it with a system of engagement, for example, Qooper.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for Mule is the number of connectors that are available. There are a lot of connectors to different systems so if you want to connect to SAP or Salesforce, there are readily available connectors that are of great help. It saves a lot of time using this system.

The level of integration that this product offers is quite far ahead of the competition.

They have a very strong developer community, interacting at an informal level on a daily basis.

What needs improvement?

MuleSoft is not so strong in method-based integration, so they're not so functional in that regard. It seems that it has not been their priority.

We have been working with this product for about a year.

No problems with stability have been brought to my attention, although once the system is in production, a different team handles it.

This product is hosted on the AWS cloud, so it has inherent scalability.

We have implemented this solution for between three and five customers in the past year. It is suitable for medium to large companies, where we have clients in each category including some that are quite big.

They have a wonderful, modern concept of community-based support. It is not a formal meeting. Rather, they often interact using technologies such as WhatsApp. They share problems and get solutions from all over the world. Surely, this is a very strong area of MuleSoft.

Some of my team members have worked on other ESB solutions in the past, but in this organization, we have not dealt with one other than MuleSoft.

One of the products that we are familiar with is a solution by IBM. This competing product is strong in terms of method-based integration.

The initial setup is very simple. The installation probably takes four hours, on average.

Our in-house teams do the implementation for our clients.

From a developer's perspective, it does not require much effort for maintenance. After we develop, the DevOps team takes it over for deployment and maintenance. When it comes to issues in production, my team would not be responsible.

What other advice do I have?

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Learn what your peers think about Mule ESB. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,305 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IR
Consultant, Architecture and Standards at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good data transformation and formatting features, but it is not easy to troubleshoot

• "The transformation and the data format are the features that I like the most."
  • "It's not easy to troubleshoot and we still can't make it work."

What is our primary use case?

It's used for regional implementation, where several systems are integrated and contributing to a central on-premises system.

What is most valuable?

The transformation and the data format are the features that I like the most.

What needs improvement?

There are several areas that need improvement. It's not easy to troubleshoot and we still can't make it work. It starts then stops. We are still trying to make it work using other tools that we have in-house, such as Kubernetes. So far, we have not found the proper way to connect them.

Stability is an issue as well as scalability. Both of these need improvement.

Pricing is always an area that can be improved. It's everyone's wish.

I have been using Mule ESB for five years.

It starts and stops, so we haven't had a chance to test it in production.

We have not reached out to technical support. Our case was so complex that we had to reach out to the architect to come on-site and help us with it here. This type of support is definitely expensive.

The initial setup was complex.

Deployment took a week. We were waiting for the team to be onsite.

We had a team from Mulesoft to help us.

The licensing is yearly, and there are additional fees for services. For example, having the help of the architect was a separate fee.

What other advice do I have?

It's definitely allowed us to develop everything but we are stuck in testing. It works then it stops working, and now we are trying to figure out why. It's not related to the software but related to the teams that work with it. It's a new technology for us.

I am still trying to discover the benefits. I know that it has many connectors, that it's a tool to integrate with Salesforce. That's when they say we cannot do what we need to without MuleSoft. We didn't use it for that purpose. For our purposes, custom integration as ESB, we are still trying to discover where our benefits are. I don't have a good idea yet.

We were able to develop what we were planning to. It's highly configurable. We were able to configure the workflows and orchestrations, but we are not able to run it yet.

I don't want to give people the wrong impression because of my experience so far because it may not be an accurate one. It may not be the fault of the solution.

When I worked with IBM in the past, it was easier.

Due to the complexities, I would rate MuleSoft a six out of ten.

SG
Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Offers multiple deployment options

• "The solution offers multiple deployment options."
  • "It would be great to see implementing security modules as a feature."

What is our primary use case?

At the moment, we are using MuleSoft 4, for which I am a certified developer. We use version 4.3.

What is most valuable?

We can do very fast development of the orchestrations of MuleSoft. The design patents which we use for integration patents are also a nice feature.

The solution also offers multiple deployment options. I like the endpoint time manager and the access policies.

What needs improvement?

In respect of the UI or the interface, a concept such as that offered by Microgateway would be preferable. We basically use ESB for the gateways. Yet, sometimes when we make use of on-premises standard applications, we require a Microgateway or sidecar proxy products or sidecar proxy-type gateways. This should be addressed.

A Microgateway type of application should be available for lending support to MuleSoft. When it comes to standalone applications, it would be better if a sidecar proxy were available, rather than the security models being implemented inside the application. The sidecar proxies make things very simple in respect of microservices.

It would be great to see implementing security modules as a feature.

I have been working with MuleSoft for the past seven years.

Our current requirements are not great. The version we currently use, 4.3, is much more stable at present. It has good stability.

The scalability is good. It varies with the request I receive or the application size. It can be done with much ease.

Technical support is more in the purview of developers.

The installation time depends on the product being deployed and the size of the application. What we are using at the moment would not require installation of more than an hour. We usually would receive a zip file that we would insert into the server, at which point we could start with the deployment. We have a command for the installation of the licenses and even this depends on the type of job involved. That is all. I would put the installation time at no more than 35 to 40 minutes.

I have done the installation on my own many times. I have this product on my personal laptop, as well and usually install it on my small machines.

What other advice do I have?

As with our other applications, MuleSoft is on-premises, but we make use of a hybrid strategy involving the use of an endpoint cloud and agent. While our initial deployment was on-premises, our control plane is on endpoint in the cloud.

I am a MuleSoft developer and am working for a client. The company which I work for is a partner with MuleSoft.

I would recommend MuleSoft to others.

While what we are using for our current project is more than sufficient, it would be nice to see Microgateway added as a feature.

I rate the solution as an eight out of ten.

Ravi Gunda
Senior Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Provides excellent connectivity but requires much better stability

• "The connectivity the solution provides is excellent. There are often too many systems that we have to integrate and this helps with that."
  • "The solution isn't as stable as we'd like it to be. There are some ongoing issues and therefore Mule has to provide frequent patches. Mule's core IP should be more stable overall."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily provide services using the Mule ESB. We use it to integrate multiple systems.

What is most valuable?

The platform itself is very good.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure of any areas Mule ESB needs to improve.

The price of the solution is a little bit high. It would be helpful if different sized businesses had access to different plans.

I've been familiar with the solution for two years.

We had a bit of an issue with stability when it came to running some large files. We kept getting an error. In the end, we had to divide the files and process it via multiple files because of the way we implemented them. Large file processing also seems to take up more memory.

The technical support has been very good. It depends on the account we're working on, however. Good accounts get prompt responses in regards to queries.

We didn't previously use a different solution. We've only been working with MuleSoft.

The initial setup was straightforward. We haven't faced any issues with implementation. They've recently simplified the processes. I recall, earlier it was not that easy to set up.

Deployment doesn't take too much time. Sometimes it can be done in minutes. It shouldn't take more than an hour.

I'm unsure of the licensing costs. I believe the total price is less than IBM, but it's still rather expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners of MuleSoft. We provide the solution's service to our clients.

The solution would be useful for large organizations. If there are more than three or four systems, and if there is an expansion, it would work best. Small or medium enterprises with two or three systems, may find the solution a little bit unorganized.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. If the stability were more reliable, I'd rate it higher.

Amit Behere
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy connectivity which allows for fast integration; lacking some connectors

• "Easy connectivity and easy integration."
  • "Lacking some connectors that could be included."

What is our primary use case?

I used the free trial account to test the product, it allows 10 days free trial.

I'm a software engineer and a user of Mule ESB.

What is most valuable?

The best feature for me was the easy connectivity and easy integration. In comparison, if you go through code license for APN, it will require more configuration or more code but if you're going to Anypoint Studio and using Mule ESB, you just drag and drop the connectors, configure the credentials and complete your process as per your requirements. The product helps me a lot to integrate quickly.

What needs improvement?

I think there are some connectors that are not available that should be included. Supports like Salesforce Connector that are available in APN could be included. It's possible that this requires more configuration in our system. I've also found that running Mule Anypoint Studio ESB can slow things down.

They have good documentation but it's better to have a video explanation for some of the demos, something basic that runs for 10 minutes or so. If you have that and combine it with the documentation, it would simplify the learning process.

I have used the solution for one year.

This is a stable solution.

The solution is scalable.

I haven't used technical support, I tend to check the documentation when there are problems. It's actually quite good. There is a video which explains integration in only three minutes, and that helped me understand the documents.

I used some of the notes and YouTube tutorials that explain the setup. They've simplified the process with the latest version which is a good thing.

RC
Manager- Integration Services & BPM at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Lightweight and everything runs in Java, but I have had issues with instability

• "Everything runs in Java, which is a useful feature."
  • "There are some issues with both stability and scalability."

What is our primary use case?

Mule ESB acts as an intermediary that assists with integration between multiple layers.

What is most valuable?

Mule ESB is quite lightweight.

Everything runs in Java, which is a useful feature.

What needs improvement?

There are some issues with both stability and scalability.

I have experienced some issues with clustering.

We have been using Mule ESB for probably three years.

The stability of this product can be improved.

I have had a couple of issues with scalability. Our use case has traffic that depends a lot on the SDK, so there are a lot of users.

The LAN team has been in contact with technical support.

Prior to Mule ESB, we were using an IBM solution that was pretty good. Mule ESB is cheaper but I would choose the IBM product instead.

The installation and setup had been completed before I joined the company.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

VenkatRaj
Tech Lead at V-Soft
MSP
Exceptional cloud features, good exception handling, and stable

• "The cloud and integration abilities are most useful allowing us to use applications such as Salesforce and DataWeave."
  • "In an upcoming release, I would like to see more additional concept for exception handling, batch processing, and increased integration with other application."

What is our primary use case?

We normally use the API-led connectivity approach. We get the architecture and follow the basic rules and principles that Mule has.

How has it helped my organization?

We have had our research analysis team do six months of work looking into if this solution was going to benefit our organization and they determined it fit perfectly into our business.

What is most valuable?

The cloud and integration abilities are most useful allowing us to use applications such as Salesforce and DataWeave. Additionally, the exception handling is good. We have experienced zero downtime since moving to this solution.

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution for the past five years.

The solution is very stable we have not had any issues

The scalability is good. We have a banking application running worldwide through the solution which attracts many users.

The installation is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Mule ESB a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
Download our free Mule ESB Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.