Mule ESB OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Mule ESB is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) tools. It is most often compared to IBM Integration Bus: Mule ESB vs IBM Integration Bus

What is Mule ESB?
For companies looking to modernize and unlock the value of existing on-premises systems and applications, an enterprise service bus (ESB) architecture serves as a critical foundation layer for SOA. When deployed as an ESB, the Mule runtime engine of Anypoint Platform combines the power of data and application integration across legacy systems and SaaS applications, with a seamless path to the other capabilities of Anypoint Platform and the full power of API-led connectivity.
Mule ESB Buyer's Guide

Download the Mule ESB Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Mule ESB Customers
Ube, PacificComp, University of Witwatersrand, Justice Systems, Camelot
Mule ESB Video

Archived Mule ESB Reviews (more than two years old)

SC
Developer JAVA/JEE, Mule ESB at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Integrates well with Salesforce, but needs support for more datatypes and file formats

• "The most valuable feature is the Salesforce integration."
  • "The Anypoint platform consumes a lot of memory, and it would be great for developers if it were more lightweight."

What is our primary use case?

We use Salesforce to store the most valuable information in our system. We have many clients that request this data, and we send it to them using the Mule ESB solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Salesforce integration.

The drag and drop feature makes it very easy for transformation, and to use the Anypoint platform.

It is very easy to manage the flow using Anypoint.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the transformation component improved such that they can support the integration of more datatypes. For example, in version 3.7 they do not support the Excel format, and some companies using that version cannot do transformation with Excel input. As a workaround, they have to manually write Java code to do it.

It would be great if they extended the free trial of the API designer to two months.

Four years.

The version that I am using, 3.8, is quite stable. My understanding of version 4 is that it is not stable, yet, because it is new, and it will take some time.

This solution is very scalable, and we can use it however we like. It can connect to every kind of system.

There are approximately two hundred people using the system, directly and indirectly.

We have used technical support for some issues that we could not figure out by ourselves. They are fast and don't take a long time to respond.

We started with Mule ESB.

The Anypoint platform is based on Eclipse, so anyone who has worked in Java will find it easy.

I performed the installation myself.

The various features and components for this solution are no longer free.

What other advice do I have?

I will soon be migrating to version 4 of Mule ESB, although we are also interested in the WSO2 solution because it seems to be very complete.

Using Mule ESB does not require somebody to be a Java developer, although there are some Java concepts that you need to know. For example, some people use JSON, and I find that they are scared of Mule ESB because it is based on Java. But really, it isn't a problem if they don't know it.

This solution has good performance and support, but not everybody can use it because many of the features are expensive. Especially for application management, it is expensive compared to solutions such as WSO2. It is limiting for small and medium-sized companies.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

JustinJames
IT Consultant at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to implement and supports platforms like Windows, Linux, and Mac

• "The most valuable feature of Mule ESB is data transformation, i.e. our interacting with different systems and orchestrating for our business needs."
  • "Mule ESB is more into the latest REST APIs, not much into the SOAP web services. Developing is all about web services and not easy with Mule."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a consultant in a bank in Kuwait. I suggest good products for companies that are seeking my advice.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the important features of Mule ESB as an enterprise architect is that it should be scalable. It should be customizable for different kinds of clients.

For client A, we need only two products. For client B, I need to group one and three. The product must be customizable for each.

The product should be able to identify who is calling and what the components are. We need to return them to the calling point. Mule ESB covers most of these requirements.

Last month, the Guardian had a post saying that Mule is one of the best products for enterprise applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Mule ESB is data transformation, i.e. our interacting with different systems and orchestrating for our business needs.

For example, a customer has liabilities in loans and credit cards, maybe some other mortgages, like four liabilities which are split into four systems.

I need to expose an API that can tune the data from four systems and expose it into one single API. For that, I have to call our services and complex security policies.

Mule ESB loads complex web service security policies. Sometimes, we have some FLAC files or maybe some messaging services. We need to consume those components and expose them as an API, which is nothing but some adjacent format, i.e. a REST API.

What needs improvement?

Technically, there are mainly two API standards. One we call SOAP and the other one is the REST API. SOAP is nothing but fully external. It's very old, but huge complex enterprise companies are still using SOAP-based web services. In the mobile smartphone era, most of the hand-held devices are using REST APIs.

Mule ESB is more into the latest REST APIs, not much into the SOAP web services. Developing is all about web services and not easy with Mule. That is one of the disadvantages of Mule. In next-gen products, Mule is in a good position.

Normally, if you're declaring a parameter or a variable, you can have visibility until it's not operating the variable. As an architect, programmer, or developer, you know when it's available. Graphically, that's not been available until this tool appeared.

It is this kind of enhancement that I'm looking for from MuleSoft. Two weeks ago or a month back, they had a big release. With this package, they are saying that APIs are your products.

You can sell your API to different organizations and the developers can register on their portal. It's available this fall. These are the best features I am looking for now.

My product is an API. I need to market it through the internet. I can have my portal with all of the tools built-in. This kind of feature I didn't see with the competitors currently in the market.

We have been using Mule ESB for around one year.

Mule ESB is very stable. I didn't face any issues. Recently I got a new version. I faced some other components issues, but not critical, i.e. easy to identify and rectify.

I moved from Mule 4.1 to 4.2 and it was really easy if you are migrating only one or two applications. It's very fast. I'm doing some experiments on my workspace for around 20-25 applications.

I'm opening all of my applications in one shot, and it is scaling for me. I didn't update them as a bulk application. I worked by importing them one by one and it was fine.

I'm not into any official technical support. Their forum is pretty good and it's very active, but I cannot assure you that you will get a response within a day or two.

WebMethod is very expensive, but their support is awesome. I closely work with the operating technical support team. For retrieving the code from our bank, they are working with us very closely. Sometimes they are flying over here for conducting demos.

Especially in the Middle East, MuleSoft is not doing like that. They are not doing much marketing in the industry. Maybe they are more focusing on South America or Asia. I'm not seeing much in the Middle East.

Mule ESB is one of the best. It is easy to use and setup. You just need to install their Anypoint Studio. It's very safe for all this. It's in a good rank just for the setup.

We evaluated Oracle, AG webMethods, and Red Hat OpenShift. The final one was MuleSoft. I'm very impressed with MuleSoft because of the pricing and license.

You have to implement several components. Sometimes, according to your needs, you have to buy several licenses for each component. Those are the things we compared.

What other advice do I have?

My opinion is that Mule ESB depends on the business and the continuity of their enrollment. If you are a system that has not much left to repair, then your products and your APIs are assets within your organization.

Here in the bank, we are facing different kinds of issues when we are integrating different systems:

• We are communicating with different card carriers like Mastercard and Visa.
  • Their standards are different according to the client requirements, i.e. exactly what kind of card they're looking for.
  • They can get the products according to their requirements as well as their budget.

I would rate Mule ESB with 7.5 or 8 out of 10.

1. It's really easy to implement.
  2. It's supporting our platforms: Windows, Linux, and Mac.
  3. The performance.
  4. It's free.

I'm looking for an API platform that supports the whole technology as well as the next-gen.

Mule ESB is lacking for self-support, self-training, and documentation. The documentation of the product is less because they're selling the training.

You have to enroll for the training, then you'll get the full documentation. If you're an advanced user, you will not get much information from the public documentation.

Learn what your peers think about Mule ESB. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,029 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Misabh Ulhaq
Software Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Powerful data transformation capability and good support through community forums

• "Once it is started, we don't see any problems on a day to day basis."
  • "We would like to have a built-in logging framework in which we can do auditing."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the on-premises version of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is DataWeave. It allows for the transformation of data, for example to JSON or from JSON. It's very powerful.

There are also many connectors available, which is nice.

What needs improvement?

We would like to have a built-in logging framework in which we can do auditing. In our case, we are working on-premise. We are not using the cloud solution, so we have MMC, which is not enough in a high transaction environment.

Six years.

This is a very stable solution. It doesn't require much memory or other resources. Once it is started, we don't see any problems on a day to day basis. Even when you need to make changes, they are easy to do.

The scalability is easy. It can be done horizontally or vertically. We are scaling horizontally because we don't have any space left in the server. If we need to expand the number of nodes then it depends upon the licensing.

Our development team has three people, and I am the lead.

The community forums for this solution have been very helpful. You find plenty of information there. In the past three or four years, I have only raised three issues. They were related to the VM, and not the product itself, so I did not need product assistance.

We did not use another solution prior to this one. We started with the open source solution, version 3.1.0, and we implemented all of the services. We then paid for a licensed version.

The initial setup is pretty easy. We have multiple applications bounded by that domain, for resource sharing, so it was easy.

I set up the solution myself.

The calculation of ROI is difficult because we work in terms of providing support to other applications. There are many departments involved, and we cannot calculate our support in terms of money.

Before moving to the licensed version of this solution, we had a meeting to discuss the IBM Oracle web method. After looking at everything, including our code and the capability that Oracle has, we decided to continue with Mule ESB because of the ease in moving from the older, open source version, to the newer one. All we had to do is download it and continue with our work.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others who are implementing this solution is to first become acquainted with the forums. There are always reports coming out about the software, and new technologies. The next thing is that I would suggest always starting with the latest version. Older versions are available, but you should install the most recent one.

NK
Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Powerful data transformation technology, but it needs to be more user-friendly

• "The most powerful feature is DataWeave, which is a powerful language where data can be transformed from one form into another."
  • "I would like to see support for BPM in the next release of this solution."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is API driven related management and lightweight message processing.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

This solution could be improved by making it more flexible, and more user-friendly.

I would like to see support for BPM in the next release of this solution.

One year.

This solution is very good, and it is stable.

In terms of scalability, it is very good.

Technical support for this solution is very good, and very interactive. If I have any questions then I reach out to them and they respond very quickly.

We were using a variety of technologies, but we use this solution because it is a very lightweight message processing system.

I would say that this initial setup was moderate.

Our DevOps handled the implementation.

We looked at other options, but this one is what our vendor recommended.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

PS
Technical Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
User
It helps in managing APIs, but many of the customers feel that the licensing costs are too much

What is our primary use case?

API integration with many backend systems, deployment options, testing.  It helps me to manage API as well.

How has it helped my organization?

For API creation and integrations in agile mode. Reduces the development cost and time as we work in agile mode.

What is most valuable?

Connectors: It has many connectors and components that really help to complete the development very quickly.

What needs improvement?

Support, and with respect to licensing cost. Many of the customers feel that the licensing cost is much.

What is our primary use case?

• API integration with many backend systems, deployment options, testing.
  • It helps me to manage API as well.

How has it helped my organization?

• For API creation and integrations in agile mode.
  • Reduces the development cost and time as we work in agile mode.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

• Support, and with respect to licensing cost.
  • Many of the customers feel that the licensing cost is much.

it_user805440
Applications Architect at Informatica Delta
User
We have seen a significant improvement in our processes

What is our primary use case?

The integration of an ERP system with a payment system in order to improve accounting information and invoice management.

How has it helped my organization?

We have seen a significant improvement in our processes: Response time decreased significantly and integration of services became faster.

What is most valuable?

The architecture based on events: It has several connectors which allow integration from external and internal applications of the company.

What needs improvement?

The payment system The accounting and financial areas The provisioning and enrollment system, because the response time was short.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

• The payment system
  • The accounting and financial areas
  • The provisioning and enrollment system, because the response time was short.

it_user642183
Sr. Integration Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Valuable features API management, Connectors & Flow tuning

• "Scalability and load balancing."
  • "Limitation on external subscribers to listen to the messages on the bus."

What is most valuable?

• Routing
  • Enrichment
  • DataWeave
  • Choice of connectors
  • Light weight containers
  • Packaging and deploying
  • API management
  • Scalability and load balancing

How has it helped my organization?

• Ability to integrate disparate systems with a seamless movement of data on-premises and in the cloud
  • Gives the power to make decisions and quick market penetration
  • Provides the time to build and release new features
  • Has Agile driven builds

What needs improvement?

• Limitation on external subscribers to listen to the messages on the bus.
  • VM queues and memory/thread management need more stability.

I have been using this solution for over five years.

Not major issues but there are some rare version compatibility issues with connectors.

We did not encounter any stability issues.

No issues with scalability. Especially the Cloud deployments can scale on demand and are seamless and reliable.

Customer SLAs are one of the top priorities at MuleSoft and they have been supportive in every situation.

I found technical support to be very resourceful and experts are at hand.

We switched because this solution was found to be cost effective, freely available for community edition, and an easy transition from any programming background.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward with few easy steps.

In-house

Get your basics right about your requirements and plan ahead especially w.r.t volumes, any premium connectors to be purchased and a rough estimate on integration touch points to get some idea on the overall cost.

Plan your licensing model (cloud or on-premises or hybrid) that will allow seamless integration with new partners.

We looked at Apache Camel, Fuse ESB, Dell Boomi, and TIBCO.

What other advice do I have?

Plan your use cases and set your expectations on the features that need to be implemented.

It is an ESB that can deploy seamlessly on-premises and in the cloud with strong API management and governance and has a strong integration with open source products like JBPM and Drools if these features are part of your requirements.

Naveen Tak
Senior Integration Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Provides API support and management.

• "We can use Java expressions anywhere in the flow."
  • "It needs more samples. Also, the dependency on Maven should be removed."

What is most valuable?

• We can use Java expressions anywhere in the flow
  • Provides API support out-of-the-box
  • API management can be done using RAML

How has it helped my organization?

It is very easy to learn and implement. We were able to meet project deadlines on time.

What needs improvement?

It needs more samples. Also, the dependency on Maven should be removed.

I have used Mule ESB for one year.

We had issues in Munit but rarely any stability issues.

We have not had stability issues.

We have not had scalability issues.

We had few guys from their support team.

They were excellent.

I would give technical support a rating of 8/10.

Firstly, the project architecture team decided to go with Mule.

Secondly, the project was from scratch and we want only microservices exposed over API hence, Mule was a promising deal.

However, in my next project we weren't able to go with as it much pricier than its competitors. Actually, from all the other vendors.

The setup was complex, as I came from a different background (IBM products). However, it became smoother down the line.

We went for a training first and then it was in-house after that.

This is expensive. In my next project, we had to go to other vendor.

Apparently, this is the most expensive ESB solution out there as there is no more Community Edition.

We looked at IBM IB and webMethods.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it, but first read their sample exercises.

It is a one stop solution and it is an amazing product.
However,

1. It is an expensive product

2. Expensive support

Surendranath C
Principal Architect And Management Council Member at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It has changed our approach towards integration. HTTP/Messaging listener services, data transformation and connection handling are now redundant.

What is most valuable?

In order of importance: - Connectors - Data Weave - Mule Expression Language

How has it helped my organization?

It has changed our approach towards integration, making plumbing functions such as HTTP/Messaging listener services, data transformation and connection handling redundant.

What needs improvement?

Documentation is cryptic, product releases are far too frequent, and upgrades become troublesome.

1 year as a developer and architect.

Deployment of custom flows is troublesome and fraught with difficulty

What is most valuable?

In order of importance:

- Connectors

- Data Weave

- Mule Expression Language

What needs improvement?

1 year as a developer and architect.

Deployment of custom flows is troublesome and fraught with difficulty

it_user647418
Senior IT Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
There are already defined endpoint components such as HTTP, JMS, and FTP.

What is most valuable?

There are many already defined endpoint components such as HTTP, JMS, FTP, etc., and these are the main tools for communicating with various services. By having these, developers just need to concentrate on the functionalities instead of making modules to talk to other services.

How has it helped my organization?

I am not sure about how it has improved the way my organization functions but certainly with regard to simple integration, development speed is faster than writing from scratch.

What needs improvement?

The HTTP request connector should have the ability to change the hostname on the fly instead of the URL endpoint only.

I've used this product for eight years from Mule v3.0 to v3.8.

We had an issue in v3.4 with clustering but as of v3.7, MuleSoft has fixed the problem.

Scalability depends on how an application using Mule ESB is designed and so far, we haven't had any issues with the scalability.

The technical support is OK and I've never really needed it.

The setup is straightforward in terms of deployment and environment setup.
Just download the "mule-esb runtime environment" zip file and unzip under a particular directory. Then a Mule setup is done. To deploy an application, just drop a Mule app into ${MULE_HOME}/apps along with the properties file under class path, then done.

It is getting expensive and I recommend clients to use Camel ESB if enterprise support is not required.

If a cluster is not required, then just buy the non-clustered version.

I've been in a consultancy environment for a long time and knew various frameworks and tools already.

What other advice do I have?

Make an architectural plan in depth before implementing a solution based on this product. Otherwise, it might cost far more than expected.

samir douichi
Solution Architect at Aractronic
It can embrace the architectural style and SOA practices in place where it’s deployed.

What is most valuable?

• Deployment strategies: Mule supports a wide variety of deployment strategies.
  • SOA architectural style: Mule can embrace the architectural style and SOA practices in place where it’s deployed.
  • Focused on higher-level concerns: It deals extensively with all the details of integration and provides a wide range of connectors. It has the ability to be an integration framework open to all sorts of protocols.
  • They have comprehensive and up-to-date documentation, a subject on which the vendor has made huge progress recently.

How has it helped my organization?

It integrates between an ERP (J2EE inventory module), a CRM (PHP) and a new mobile development platform (Angular JavaScript web services).

The aim of the solution was to connect to the inventory application provided by the ERP system, read and send data to the CRM, then hook that to the smartphone with a user-friendly UI.

Some requirements:

• Integrate applications or systems on premise or in the cloud.
  • Use out-of-the-box connectors to create SaaS integration applications.
  • Build and expose APIs.
  • Consume APIs.

What needs improvement?

I think using Anypoint Studio at the beginning can be seen as not straightforward, especially when dealing with the visual editor. A vertical representation of the flow can really improve the understanding of the case and a good mapping to the use case.

I have been using it for 1-2 years.

Like any application, Mule is constrained by the limits of memory size and CPU performance.

Threading profiles define the overall capacity of your Mule instance in terms of scaling and capacity. The performance of each moving part involved in processing each request will also impact the global throughput of your application.

Setup was realy straightforward as the product is well documented. Also, we should mention the efforts of a good and reactive community.

Before choosing, we also evaluated:

• Oracle SOA Suite
  • Open ESB
  • JBoss ESB

What other advice do I have?

My advice to organisations looking to implement this product is to begin with the community version as a proof-of-concept and a way to avoid risks. You can then directly migrate to the enterprise edition as the Anypoint Platform offers tools that architects and developers across the enterprise can adapt quickly to design, build, and manage the entire lifecycle of their APIs, applications and products. With Mule as its core runtime engine, Anypoint Platform is built with open technologies to promote reusability, modularity and collaboration, increasing developer productivity and project speed.

it_user650016
Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
The most valuable features are the connectors, DataWeave, and the way it simplifies the application development.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the connectors, DataWeave, and the way it simplifies the application development and deployable files.

Connectors:

• Being a Java developer, I have experienced how much logic and coding one needs to put in while accessing the database.
  • With the DB Connectors developer, I just need to place the query, and in some cases the drivers, if Mule doesn't provide out-of-the-box support.
  • With the HTTP Connector and the APIkit router with RAML, managing the resources and handling is made easy.
  • With Mule's expected release in Q3 of 2017, generating RAML would also be made easy.

DataWeave:

• With good knowledge of DataWeave operators, anything can be achieved in a couple of lines of code, which otherwise would be time consuming in Java.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced interdependency.

What needs improvement?

The Mule IDE (Integrated Development Environment) could be more stable. For example, in Anypoint Studio, when we add some components and then remove them, they don't get deleted from XML in the background. It gives a duplicate error when we try to add them another time. However, this has been fixed with Anypoint Studio 6.

I have used this solution for around a year.

The older versions of Mule IDE, Anypoint Studio 5.x.x are more unstable.

There were no scalability issues.

I would give technical support a rating of 4.5/5.

The setup was pretty straightforward.

This is an affordable product.

What other advice do I have?

Since most organizations are now going digital and opening up their resources via APIs, companies should explore using this solution.

it_user641259
Co Founder & Principal Architect at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
Some of the valuable features are parallel processing support and integration with other products.

What is most valuable?

• Salesforce connector
  • Enterprise JDBC
  • SAP connector and other connectors like FTP and SFTP
  • Parallel processing support
  • JMS integration

How has it helped my organization?

We are a technology consulting company specialized in Systems Integration using Mule ESB. (www.app-integrators.com)

Through App Integrators, we have integrated disparate Enterprise Applications for different customers across the globe. Most of our integrations for clients are:

• Hybrid Integration Model: On-premises and cloud based applications
  • Large volume data handling: Handled batch applications supporting up to 20 million records to Salesforce.
  • Support for Enterprise Batch Applications: We have used Mule ESB for running 120 batch applications on different scheduled intervals.
  • SAP based Integrations with manufacturing systems

What needs improvement?

• SOA governance of ESB
  • Versioning and exception handling
  • Easier development
  • Documentation/good design guidelines are not sufficient

I have used this solution since 2012.

There were stability issues. It is very complex to set up an Enterprise grade application and it is not easy to use.

Like a typical Java application, one should know how to tune a Java based server.

However, we have experienced issues when handling massive volumes of 20 million records to Salesforce (from on premises systems). We also experienced issues when we executed batch jobs of up to 120 jobs in a cluster of Mule ESB instances and when handling large volume of data (in the millions).

Nevertheless, many connectors like Enterprise JDBC and DataWeave support the streaming of data.

Technical support has been excellent. They are very helpful through their customer support tool and/or through their forums.

We used Oracle OSB before and some of our clients used TIBCO middleware or Java CAPS.

But we suggested that clients switch to Mule ESB due to:

• The lower licensing cost
  • The availability of cloud connectors
  • CloudHub platform (supporting iPaaS)
  • A suite of 110+ connectors to use.

It is complex to set up because any Enterprise grade middleware needs hardening. This is why we need to set up clusters, integrate with source control tools for continuous integration in different environments like DEV, QA, TEST, and also consider firewalls and internet security.

So other than a DEV Server, the setup is not straightforward. It depends on the organization security/development methodologies and policies.

It is cheaper than competitors in pricing and licensing. We have an open source option available as well.

Most of the licenses can be added as entitlements on top of a basic Enterprise license. Licenses are renewed every year and there is no perpetual license.

We evaluated Oracle ESB, Apache Camel, and ServiceMix.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution due to its support for multiple integration options.

it_user639354
Senior Software Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
You can write business logic as a workflow.

What is most valuable?

• Writing your complex business logic as a simple workflow which can be understood by not so technical people
  • Hot deployment of those workflows, which helps in automation and self-learning/healing.
  • Provides a variety of connectors: SalesForce, Twitter, SAP, Facebook, and WebService consumer. Most of them come for free with the Community Edition.
  • Async/concurrent execution of services within a flow
  • Logging

How has it helped my organization?

We had to design a complex diagnostic and analysis tool that catered to different ERPs. For example, connecting to different types of data sources and listening from different types of services (over Web and FTP).

Business services for diagnostics should be modified by admin/functional people and applications should be updated on-the-fly without any down time.

The Mule runtime engine served the purpose and we developed a drag-and-drop workflow designer (web app) that is built on top of Mule to make it easy for admins to create and edit services.

I’ve been using Mule ESB for 18 months.

We have had no issues with stability.

We did have scalability issues. It demanded more RAM at times, when there were a larger number of requests while listening over FTP. This is the case with any web container.

I am a Community Edition user, so I can’t comment about the enterprise support by Mule. However, you will not get an immediate response for your queries in any of the technical forums.

I did not use any ESB earlier, but this is the best Community Edition ESB available in the market. However, we abused it as a workflow engine.

To get an initial setup is straightforward.

1. Write a simple HTTP-based listener workflow.
  2. Print whatever you send in a context path in a browser.
  3. Dump it in a standalone runtime.
  4. Start it.

I would advise using the Community Edition if you are developing an application as an additional service to a customer or a non-critical Tier-2 application. You can do this without support.

Apart from support and a few additional connectors, the enterprise edition is not so different from CE.

I was not part of choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

Don’t abuse it. Be clear if you want a Mule application to solely solve your business problems, or if you want it as an add-on to solve a few problems that your main application can’t solve.

You may get into scalability issues if you are not clear about this basic difference.

it_user651525
Integration Architect @ Information Management, Integration and Analytics - RXP Services Limited at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It allows for mappings using a DSL

What is most valuable?

DataWeave: It allows for complex mappings using a simple DSL (Domain Specific Language).

How has it helped my organization?

Integration between systems can often take several days. However, with MuleSoft ESB, it can take as little as fifteen minutes.

What needs improvement?

The CloudHub offering requires some time to mature. However, it is a good overall solution.

Some further details:

1. The AnypointMQ offering is not very stable, as such can cause issues
when dealing with high volume burst messages.

2. The CloudHub offering is EC2 instance based and does not run in
containers.

3. The speed of the CloudHub user interface is poor.

4. Deployment takes several minutes (due to Ec2 architecture as opposed to
containerization).

5. There is currently no cross application object store.

I have used MuleSoft ESB for six years.

CloudHub stability has been an issue. However, this is being worked on.

The product scales very well.

Technical support is superb. The engineers that support customers are Java developers and have a deep understanding of the issues and resolutions. This is one of the biggest selling points for MuleSoft.

Previously, we used Apache Camel and Spring Integration. However, they require more technical involvement than MuleSoft ESB.

The setup is done with a simple deployable .zip file. It is very simple to set up and run.

Pricing is tailored to the customer. As such, I would recommend speaking with your account representative.

We evaluated Dell Boomi, Informatica, and Talend. However, for the given use case, MuleSoft came out on top.

What other advice do I have?

Focus on the business problem you want to solve, as the technical integration in MuleSoft is relatively simple.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a partner.
TejasPurohit
Co-Founder & Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Message routing redirects messages to the appropriate target endpoint. I would suggest adding scenario-based and audio-visual tutorials.

What is most valuable?

• Service Mediation: This is an abstraction layer in between the service consumer and the service provider.
  • Message Routing: This feature consumes messages. It filters, enriches, and performs necessary operations on a message. It redirects them to the appropriate target endpoint, based on a certain decision making criterion.
  • Data Transformation: The process of converting/transforming data or information from one format to another.

How has it helped my organization?

I am providing the service for MuleSoft ESB. My company has delivered solutions such as travel portals, retailer engines, application integration, and a wide range of other scenarios, where ESB can be utilized.

What needs improvement?

MuleSoft ESB is a wonderful product. However, in order to help the developers utilize it extensively, I would suggest adding some scenario-based and audio-visual tutorials.

I have been using this solution for four years.

I am working on a number of open-source integration platforms and MuleSoft ESB is an ideal choice for us. This tool makes it easier for the developers to deliver complex projects with the best quality.

The initial/basic setup for the development and production environments was fairly easy and straightforward. For complex requirements, you may need some assistance from the experts.

I am working on frameworks/solutions such as Red Hat JBoss Fuse, Spring Integration, Apache Camel, and Apache ServiceMix.

Diego Hidalgo
QA Manager at Tandicorp
Integrates heterogeneous environments, developments in a short time. Exception handling flows aren't explained very well

Valuable Features:

Flexibility and high performance.

I can perform integrations with any environment and scenery as well as growth in apps integration, is an agnostic tool architecture ie can generate components on different architectures are JEE or .Net.

Mule ESB has a lot components and tools that apply integration patterns making it easier to development without much knowledge of patterns

Improvements to My Organization:

It allows communication between different applications with different protocols. It's also helped solve business integration issues.

Mule ESB is the heart of applications that required routing and improvement of messages such as electronic invoicing

Room for Improvement:

The documentation is not extensive and is limited to examples which are too basic.

Use of Solution:

We've used the tool for about six years.

Download our free Mule ESB Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.