Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager Overview

Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top API Management tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure API Management: Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager vs Microsoft Azure API Management

What is Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager?

API Manager is a component of Anypoint Platform for designing, building, managing, and publishing APIs. Anypoint Platform uses Mule as its core runtime engine. You can use API Manager on a public cloud, such as CloudHub, a private cloud, or a hybrid. A hybrid deployment is an API deployed on a private server but having metadata processed in the public cloud.

Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager is also known as Anypoint API Manager.

Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager Customers

Coca-Cola, Splunk, Citrix, UCSF, Vertu, State of Colorado, National Post, TiVo, Deakin, LLS, Oldcastle Precast, ParcelPoint, Justice Systems, Ube, Sumitomo Corporation, PacificComp, University of Witwatersrand, Groupe Initiatives, Camelot, Panviva

Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager pricing:
  • "I'm unsure about licensing costs because I'm not the person who handles this. But, ballpark, it's probably somewhere around $300,000-$400,000 or something like that."
  • "The licensing fees are approximately $80,000 USD per year and there are costs for additional functionality, as well as premiums for connectors to systems such as Oracle and SAP."
  • "The pricing is very expensive, although you get a lot of power from the product."

MA
Senior Architect at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good API management and an excellent enterprise platform

What is our primary use case?

We do business with a lot of other vendors and customers. Our main core business is to lend loans and lease furniture. In this context, we have to create partners and we have to do multiple transactions with multiple vendors and multiple facilitators. In this venture, we consider APIs the best, and our most sophisticated medium to communicate with other partners and other lenders at home and elsewhere. We want APIs to be the most sophisticated and more robust. REST APIs are the core in this area. We have been using Mulesoft specifically to create our REST APIs, enlarge them, and also expose… more »

• "The ESB, the enterprise service bus is what we primarily use. In addition to that, the API management. These are the two tools which we have been using extensively. The enterprise platform."
  • "Rather than focusing on numbers, they should focus more on the customer support service."

What other advice do I have?

There are a lot of products available on the market. Mulesoft is very good. It's an amazing product, no doubt about it. There's quality in the standard version, and the acumen and the technology are very good. What I want to tell them is before going for Mulesoft to consider Apigee. There are a couple of open-sources out there. What I would suggest is to not go blindly with the product stack. If you want to use the APIs, understanding of APIs are must because no company is independent. They have to do business with other companies. API is one of the most standard and robust methodologies to…
MD
CEO & Co-Founder at a computer retailer with 11-50 employees
Vendor-free, well implemented and managed, with good documentation

What is our primary use case?

We are solution integrators and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. It is used for integrating and logging data from legacy systems to make it available for other systems within the IT infrastructure in the enterprise. It is also used for data migration and making it available for customers, devices, services, and so on. Essentially, it is for data governance and API governance.

• "The documentation is great; it is always up to date and well-presented."
  • "The initial setup is very complex."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to first make sure that there are no alternatives that are most cost-effective, such as open-source products. Many of them are much cheaper but are still able to provide the same relevant functionality and the same level of data security. I would say that MuleSoft has the best API manager but it is not the cheapest one and as such, not for everybody. It is not everyone who needs to connect expensive systems together. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Technical Lead - Integration/Middleware at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good stability with responsive technical support and lots of connectors for backend applications

What is our primary use case?

We use it for integration with backend applications. We use it to connect to applications like SAP databases, or Infomatica Collibra or MongoDB, and some other backend applications.

• "The solution has been very stable."
  • "Their analytics needs a lot of improvement. It's really lacking right now."

What other advice do I have?

MuleSoft has both ESB as well as the API management platform. We are implementors. We are one major version behind. We are not using the latest version of the solution. We deploy on-prem and we also have deployment on our own AWS OSSIE code infrastructure. It might be cheaper for someone to implement MuleSoft on-prem rather than on the cloud. With the on-prem version, we can deploy as many applications as we want on the on-prem version, provided the infrastructure is able to support it. However, for cloud-based deployments, they end up charging more. I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.
AS
Enterprise Integration Consultant at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great for any company wanting a complete digital transformation

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for the solution is as an API gateway. I am an enterprise integration consultant and I implement it for customers.

• "One of the more valuable features is the stability of the platform."
  • "Not many stand-out features."

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give is that this is a platform that's meant for a complete digital transformation of an organization. If you want to realize the entire capacity or the entire power of the platform with the capability APIs and the system APIs, you know you've got to use the API-led connectivity. And here I think lies the true power of the platform; that instead of using it just as an API gateway, you can take it further and I think that is the real value that market peers are not able to offer. It's a standout feature of the API platform and MuleSoft. I make proposals and whether the…
Vice President at Bosch Automotive Electronics India Pvt. Ltd.
Excellent technical support with good scalability and stability

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for partners to exchange data and information with our company. It can be board members, as well as customers that can connect with us in order to exchange data.

• "Whenever there was an issue, the support was excellent."
  • "The pricing is quite expensive. It should be adjusted to make it more affordable for users."

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. Mainly the pricing is the big down-side of the solution. I'd advise others to ensure that they need to have the right partner who understands the system before they get into the implementation process.
SA
Vice President Delivery - Enterprise Solutions and Infrastructure Services at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Offers great integration, flexibility and value for implementing APIs

What is our primary use case?

We use MuleSoft Anypoint API Manager across our integration team to move existing integrations and implement APIs. We are system integrators and I'm vice president of the company.

• "Offers good integration and flexibility."
  • "Licensing costs should be reduced, it's quite expensive."

What other advice do I have?

In our work, we carry out a deeper analysis of customer requirements. Based on their fixed rate product capabilities, the size of the organization, and the business case, we carry out an evaluation and propose a unique solution. We have our own evaluation process, which is quite extensive and includes architect scalability of configuration, maintainability, and then commercial licensing. Taking into account all those parameters we can figure out the best possible solution. It really depends on what the customer needs. I rate this solution a nine out of 10.
MV
Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Impressive scalability and transformation layer, with excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is the interconnectivity of exposed APIs. The transformation layer is huge on the MuleSoft platform.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the scalability.

What needs improvement?

With respect to the live help, I have language issues because I can't understand some of the things that I hear.

I just recently completed the Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager training, and have just begun working to get things set up. I am still learning my way around the platform. My company has two active connections.

Stability-wise, it has been excellent.

Scalability is one of the key…
RH
Lead Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good API development and management, but the runtime needs to be more lightweight

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager has many use cases that involve API integration.

• "The most valuable features are API development and API management."
  • "The most important thing that should be improved is that it is too heavy."

What other advice do I have?

Frankly speaking, I don't think that Mulesoft is doing an extremely good job. It may be because it's not that easy to satisfy me from an API point of view, whether in development, maintenance, or management. I have been working in this area for quite a long time and my standards are a little bit high. That said, this is a competitive market and I understand that it is not easy to make a good product. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
See 3 more Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager Reviews
Product Categories
API Management
Download our free Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.